Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
The is a subclass of adventure games known as "escape games." The idea is that your character is locked in a house/office/room/etc and must manipulate various items (and perhaps other characters) in order to escape. The Don't Escape series is an inventive subversion of that idea. In this series you are put into a situation in which you need to lock yourself in, fortify or otherwise prevent yourself from getting out (or from allowing someone or something else to come in). There are three games in the series thus far.

Don't Escape is the first and most focused and simple of the games. Your character is a werewolf in a cabin. You must find a way to keep yourself from leaving the cabin and attacking people in a nearby village. One suggestion for playing this and the other games is to use the Options to turn up the brightness to help you see items to click on and gather. To use an items you click on it in your inventory (top of the screen) and move it to where you want to use it. You have the option to use some items on yourself, represented by the small person in your inventory.

Don't Escape 2 moves the action to a decidedly modern era in the midst of an ongoing zombie apocalypse. You and a friend who has been bitten have found shelter in an abandoned building. You must search the building and surrounding areas to find materials (and perhaps people) to help fortify the place before sundown arrives. This game is a little more challenging than the first because there is an active time limit. Moving to different areas takes time and so do certain preparations. Picking up an item or moving within an area takes no time. Digging a hole or repairing a fence might take two or three hours.

Don't Escape 3 is set in the future aboard a ship in space. That's all I'll say about that one as it's best played out to discover the actual plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I didn't play the games op but maybe you can satisfy my curiosity, is newgrounds anywhere near as popular as it used to be? I'm curious as to whether many people still use it or whether most of the userbase has migrated to specific game sites like kongregate, or make non flash games since the barrier to entry is so low now.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Hog Inspector posted:

I didn't play the games op but maybe you can satisfy my curiosity, is newgrounds anywhere near as popular as it used to be? I'm curious as to whether many people still use it or whether most of the userbase has migrated to specific game sites like kongregate, or make non flash games since the barrier to entry is so low now.

I really couldn't tell you for certain. My impression is that it's still quite popular, but I'm a very casual user of the place. I pop in every couple-three weeks or so and check things out (which is how I learned that there were two more game sequels to Don't Escape), but I don't keep up with it on any kind of an in-depth level.

• Locked thread