Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Tune in to watch vets sleepwalk their way through eight games while trying not to get hurt, and NBA hopefuls trying to prove they belong on an NBA team while playing 10 minutes a game, and preview what the Lakers will be like when all their players are injured in January.

Schedule available at http://nba.com.

If someone wants to write a cool OP I'll edit this out and replace it with yours. But we needed a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So this is the Lakers starting lineup now: Russel/Clarkson/Kobe/Randle/Hibbert. A good sign to me they're going to make getting the rookies minutes the priority this year.

The only hole in the lineup is who starts when Kobe's sitting (he's not gonna play back to backs).

Kobe almost got a Kobe Assist off of Julius Randle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh great Russell is hurt.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Great, season wasted, that was quick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bruised rear end in a top hat, can return to the game. Whew.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I dont have the audio on, is he ok?

It looked pretty bad, I thought best case was concussion but bruised glut was better.

I ended up DVRing the rest to go see The Martian so at this point you probably know more than me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lol Booker throwing a slap in a preseason game. Relax man, Jesus.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
MWP looked years younger. And he doesn't seem to want to do anything but play defense and chase loose balls. And he was fit enough to do it now, which you couldn't say for quite a few years. I was skeptical, but yeah him making the team actually seems like a no-brainer because the young guys seemed to really feed off his effort.

Ryan Kelly also just seems like a completely different player. He was a guy I always thought of as pretty slow and uncoordinated but he seems to have really worked on both his strength and athleticism. He's probably still on the bubble as far as making the team but he just doesn't look anything like the dude from last year which is impressive.

Kobe and Hibbert has some pretty good chemistry. And Kobe looks pretty good still, as long as he stays away from the three point line. His three ball is completely gone. But when he was involving himself in screen and roll or operating off the key, he looked nice and was really disruptive to Utah's defensive rotations. Hibbert has really come to LA with a point to prove and watching a center make free throws is a nice change of pace.

This was the first time I've seen Randle play where it looked like his game had some sort of possibility of being effective in the NBA.

All in all, I feel better about this year at least being more watchable than last year. Which, is faint praise I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh whoops, forgot the Lakers played again today. Looks like Randle had another very good night.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Wow it appears the game has been bumped in favor of Women's soccer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, Randle is gonna be so good

I can't believe Indy gave us Roy Hibbert for free

I don't know if I ever posted my internal "Julius Randle's a bust" thought but I am pretty sure I'm wrong about that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man if you hate Thibs, this is the broadcast for you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

I'm watching the feed, but not listening to the announcers. What are they saying?

It's been better this half but the first half was lots of comments about how the Bulls are so much better now and that guys just have better body language now and have the freedom to play, and suggestions that Doug McBuckets not being good is fault of the previous regime.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And as I say that, now "oh man players felt if they made a mistake they had to come out of the game, everyone's so much freerer now."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Kobe just doesn't have three point range anymore. He's playing pretty well from under the line.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
"Paul MIllsap, how does it feel to be back in your old uniform?" *Camera drifts down to him wearing a shirt full of neon yellow and green over a yellow and neon green commercial*

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Spurs look mad bored.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Larry Nance. . . . .

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

It was really sweet. I wish Vine had enough time to show the little shrug after too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
These unis are very un-Warrior like. It makes me think they're the Nets instead.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

They called the game due to floor conditions

Atleast we got an awesome dunk before it happened

Probably for the best, although I wanted to see a little more of Upshaw. Who I kind of think the Lakers should cut.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I really wish the Lakers wouldn't schedule preseason games against the Blazers because they always play their regular rotation the whole night which makes it pointless as an exhibition game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just noticed that Fanduel bought the space under the bench in Staples Center....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Technically Larry Nance just dunked on Nick Young.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I didn't think a lineup that featured Ryan Kelly would look like the Lakers most promising defensive rotation but here we are.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Russell seriously needs to ditch the corn rows, he looks terrible

I feel like he had such a good thing going before that he shouldn't mess with it.

Poor Sacre, entirety of ROBERT UPSHAW IS THE BEST PLAYER EVER fan base is already out for his blood.

Man how did Portland let that happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't know a lot about PEDs but they're the only way I can rationally explain the plodding Ryan Kelly somehow becoming somewhat athletic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I hate ESPN.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Chris Paul just paid a few thousand to beat traffic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

E2M2 posted:

How did he get ejected, haven't been watching

He had a T earlier. With this one, he was just jawing with the ref, looked normal enough but apparently he said something that got the ref to toss him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Being a professional basketball player is the only way Chris Paul could maintain that Napoleon complex.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Why did I watch almost this whole game? I should've read a book.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I can't decide what's worse, this halftime show or the Mets/Cubs game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You can always tell arenas that don't force their fans to buy preseason tickets to buy season tickets.

• Locked thread