Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LazyDivey posted:

So I've been playing this game for about 3 days now and really liking it story wise but I don't get why they made this a MMO in the first place. I have little desire to interact with other players but tried to do a dungeon/flashpoint and it was a horrible experience. I guess I'll stick with it for a while just to enjoy the story and play with alts.

The game 1-60 (soon to be 65) has always been pretty much a solo game. There are flashpoints, but unless it's a group that's fine then before they can be rough.

Once you hit max level, that's where the endgame kicks in. KOTFE is interesting because it's simultaneously making it easier for people to solo (solo flashpoints) but also making it easier to group pre-max level with bolstered hard mode flashpoints along with bolstered operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hulk Smash! posted:

• Makeb also has an achievement that will go away in 4.0. Look on Dulfy for the Makeb staged weekly walkthrough

Is it possible to do this in time with a single Makeb character, though? I dunno if I want to poopsock another character to 55 just for the gazebo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grouping used to be more important before 12xp, because flashpoints were a great source of XP (at least the dailies). PVP was a good way to level too.

With 12xp they're a waste of time while leveling, though. You're absolultely encouraged to play by yourself and never talk to anybody from 1-60.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jan posted:

Is it possible to do this in time with a single Makeb character, though? I dunno if I want to poopsock another character to 55 just for the gazebo.

It takes 3 weeks to get the achievement so it depends on how far along you are on that. If you haven't started it, then no, you'll need 2-3 characters who have completed Makeb to do it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dammit, I only have about 22 companions maxed out on affection. This is going to cost a mint. :argh:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Dammit, I only have about 22 companions maxed out on affection. This is going to cost a mint. :argh:

I wouldn't worry about driving it right now. KOTFE might introduce easier ways to raise influence than gifts.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Medullah posted:

Look up literally like 3 posts.

Cheers. :v:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So, last I played was when it first went free to play. After reading the op things around super fun too, I've been a huge fan of this game for a long time. My only question is, are you still gimped for playing free? Or is it actually playable now?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Elblanco posted:

So, last I played was when it first went free to play. After reading the op things around super fun too, I've been a huge fan of this game for a long time. My only question is, are you still gimped for playing free? Or is it actually playable now?

I plan on updating one of the first posts but the direction the game has taken has made F2P even less desirable. In addition to the strict penalties it puts on you, the ONLY way to access the newest expansion is by subscribing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elblanco posted:

Still gimped. More than ever, relatively speaking, since subbing now gives you 12x the xp for class quests (and in 4.0, it'll be 6x the xp for class & planetary quests).

It's :airquote:free:airquote: to play, but in reality it's a subscription-based game that offers "free" services designed primarily to entice you to subscribe by denying you various quality of life options and easy access to endgame content.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

People keep asking about if the game is really f2p, and even preferred is pretty gimped. The game (the content that's out now and the stuff that's coming) is worth the 15$ a month. I would suggest, if you are interested in seeing what the game is like, getting a time card (and if you can get one with cartel coins that'd be nice too) playing till the end of that, and then deciding if you want to try to play as preferred.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I've seen some people ask here and in guild chat about what to do before 4.0 hits. While only the one in bold is really essential, here's what I'd suggest overall:

• Finish your class story - you won't be able to once you start KOTFE
  • Complete any planetary main quest chain missions you want to do - they will also lock out with KOTFE start
  • Complete companion affection missions - yadda yadda KOTFE lock out

Wait what? Are they totally taking out all the old content for the new expansion?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

StashAugustine posted:

Wait what? Are they totally taking out all the old content for the new expansion?

No, they just arbitrarily decided that the expansion story changes the world so drastically that you shouldn't be able to go back to older chapters. Quite unlike the galaxy changing events of Shadows of Revan.

You can still make fresh characters and go through the original story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jan posted:

No, they just arbitrarily decided that the expansion story changes the world so drastically that you shouldn't be able to go back to older chapters. Quite unlike the galaxy changing events of Shadows of Revan.

It wasn't arbitrary. KOTFE takes place 5 years after SoR. It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to go back and finish your class story since the game is assuming you already completed it. The biggest reason though is the change in companion system.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What crosses you over to KOTFE and locks out the class story though? Being 60?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jan posted:

But existing characters who haven't finished their stories yet; they aren't forced into the new area and blocked off from the old automatically? Please say "yes".

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Starting the actual KOTFE chapter, I believe. So as long as you don't accept that mission, you can putz around the old storyline.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

There's a mission to start KOTFE, and from what I understand it gives you a GIANT warning that you can't go back.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Any of the companion affection missions worth doing? I've mostly ignored companion affection and I'll have a lot of work to do to see any of that content, don't know if any of it is worth the effort

If you do Vette's missions, she will eventually track down her long-lost sister who turns out to be enslaved as a prostitute on Nar Shaddaa. The game gives you the option to hire her to service your entire crew. Vette really doesn't like it if you do that.

LazyDivey posted:

So I've been playing this game for about 3 days now and really liking it story wise but I don't get why they made this a MMO in the first place. I have little desire to interact with other players but tried to do a dungeon/flashpoint and it was a horrible experience. I guess I'll stick with it for a while just to enjoy the story and play with alts.

Working as intended.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

There's a mission to start KOTFE, and from what I understand it gives you a GIANT warning that you can't go back.

Correct, and it's mainly because of the dramatic changes to the companion system once you get into KOTFE.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

If you do Vette's missions, she will eventually track down her long-lost sister who turns out to be enslaved as a prostitute on Nar Shaddaa. The game gives you the option to hire her to service your entire crew. Vette really doesn't like it if you do that.

Working as intended.

Stay classy bioware

I imagine broonmark has unconventional tastes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I love the official forums. In response to companion gear becoming cosmetic -

quote:

Also I just spent 800 reg comms upgrading companion to 186 gear, then read post 2 days later about companion changes.

DO I GET A REFUND ?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

prefect posted:

But existing characters who haven't finished their stories yet; they aren't forced into the new area and blocked off from the old automatically? Please say "yes".
Correct, you have to start the KotFE stuff voluntarily once you're at the right level. Also even once you've started the expansion you can still go back to the old planets to farm achievements or do daily quests or whatever, just not do any of the story quests.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Medullah posted:

This is hilarious.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

:stare: Please link that thread.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Medullah posted:

Who the hell uses comms for this when you literally get free 192 gear for them?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

Who the hell uses comms for this when you literally get free 192 gear for them?

I for one was a retard and would usually buy comm gear on Rishi for them to get them through Rishi and Yavin easily. :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I for one was a retard and would usually buy comm gear on Rishi for them to get them through Rishi and Yavin easily. :v:

I've just been using a companion with my same mainstat and giving hand me downs. Granted not every class has one, but I think most have at least one...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've just been using a companion with my same mainstat and giving hand me downs. Granted not every class has one, but I think most have at least one...

It depends. Inquisitor, Marauder (jugg is fine), and Sentinel (guardian is fine) all don't have one. Several other classes have a companion who uses mostly the same gear but different weapons. And that's dependent on you actually using the companion in question.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Inquisitor has xalek. If you use adaptive gear you can pretty much just swap entire pieces of gear back and forth. For weapons/offhands that you can't share wholesale, you can just strip for parts.

You might run into situations where you're giving a tank companion dps gear or something but honestly the content isn't tuned that hard, it doesn't matter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

It depends. Inquisitor, Marauder (jugg is fine), and Sentinel (guardian is fine) all don't have one. Several other classes have a companion who uses mostly the same gear but different weapons. And that's dependent on you actually using the companion in question.

Xalek, Broonmark and Scourge all use the same stats.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Medullah posted:

Treek, Treek and Treek all use the same stats.

fix'd that for you

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So let me make sure I have this right.

I could sub right now, get my Jedi Guardian (single saber DPS, I’m a purist) up to lvl 60 relatively quickly as class quests are x12 experience while soloing and not having to do any Flashpoints, do the Rise of the Hutt Cartel/Shadow of Revan stories and Flashpoints pretty easily and therefore see everything there was to see for the pre-expansion game, and hop right into the KOTFE stuff as soon as it launches…

…but still be able to go back and level the other seven classes at my leisure?

Sounds like KOTFE is a great place to jump in, but only if I make sure the character I pick is done with their class storylines and Hutt/Revan stuff before launch?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

Xalek, Broonmark and Scourge all use the same stats.

Broonmark and Scourge only use the same stats if you're a Juggernaut/Guardian. Marauders and Sentinels are out of luck.

Completely forgot Xalek exists.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CobiWann posted:

I could sub right now, get my Jedi Guardian (single saber DPS, I’m a purist) up to lvl 60 relatively quickly as class quests are x12 experience while soloing and not having to do any Flashpoints, do the Rise of the Hutt Cartel/Shadow of Revan stories and Flashpoints pretty easily and therefore see everything there was to see for the pre-expansion game, and hop right into the KOTFE stuff as soon as it launches…

Sounds like KOTFE is a great place to jump in, but only if I make sure the character I pick is done with their class storylines and Hutt/Revan stuff before launch?

From what people have said, it sounds like you can create new, level-1 characters of any class and go through the old planets. You just cross a threshold at level 60 where you accept one special quest and cross a five-year boundary with that character, who can no longer do the old quests.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

CobiWann posted:

Correct, it only affects that character. As an added bonus you get a free level 60 character with KOTFE as well, so you could still level at whatever pace you want and still get to see the new stuff anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kippa posted:

Correct, it only affects that character. As an added bonus you get a free level 60 character with KOTFE as well, so you could still level at whatever pace you want and still get to see the new stuff anyway.

Caveat- Subscribers don't get the SoR expansion for free until 10/27 so you'd only be able to get to 55.

Cythereal posted:

Broonmark and Scourge only use the same stats if you're a Juggernaut/Guardian. Marauders and Sentinels are out of luck.

Completely forgot Xalek exists.

The stats are tank stats but ultimately story content is so easy it's not a noticeable difference while leveling. So a Marauder/Sentinel can give their gear to Broonmark or Scourge and be fine.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Tempted to pick up the expansion and get back into this, last played after Revan, burned myself out after the initial 12x XP boost plus caught up with other games over the summer. Has there been any content released since Revan worth running through before the new expansion comes out?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Caveat- Subscribers don't get the SoR expansion for free until 10/27 so you'd only be able to get to 55.

The stats are tank stats but ultimately story content is so easy it's not a noticeable difference while leveling. So a Marauder/Sentinel can give their gear to Broonmark or Scourge and be fine.

Yeah. I'm currently leveling a lightning sorc, giving Xalek my DPS gear, even though I have him in tank stance. I have to stop and heal more than I'd like, but the job gets done just fine. No need to spend comms to be ~~optimally geared~~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

I was thinking more that Broonmark and Scourge wear heavy armor versus the M/S's medium, but fine.

• Locked thread