Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

They made out like the bomb on the train was one step down from a nuke - they blew the train up from about 50 yards away.

A properly designed bomb isn't going to go off because its transport exploded.

Reviews usually see the first ~4 episodes actually.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
My guess is Lance Dad. Wasn't he already knocking on Death's door with the whole "if we tell him the truth it will kill him" plot line?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

True. BUT... Sara Lance is coming back this season. Alive, apparently, thanks to the magic of the Lazarus Pits. So maybe, Laurel?

Well the thing is that they've been foreshadowing a "Lazarus Pit brought back Thea crazy" plot since the end of last season and also a bit tonight with her hyper-aggression/losing control stuff. Through in a bit of the same stuff related to Sara Lance and folks might discount it a good bit as an option.

I guess my dream arc here would be Diggle/Felicity literally saying "no, I wouldn't want to come back with a Lazarus Pit, it wouldn't be me who came back" and then Oliver demonstrating actual growth as a person by respecting that wish.

Caper posted:

That twist with Lance though...whoa... I think he's fed up with supervillains taking over his city every May so now he's just gonna align with them to make sure things don't get too out of hand?

The way it sounded, it was like Darkh has him over a barrel. The obvious thing to think here is "I promise we won't kill Laurel when we fight her so long as you comply" which matches up to the one mook hesitating when he has her at gunpoint (though that's a pretty standard trope so I could be reading into it too much). The less obvious but much cooler thing would be I dug up your daughter Sara's grave and rezzed her because magic, but she's my prisoner until I get what I want.

My Q-Face posted:

And you know all of the complaints I had about Laurel just not looking the part last year? Well, it doesn't apply anymore. Somebody got her to lift weights and got her a properly fitting leather jacket, and taught her how to use the nightsticks.

I'm starting to think in retrospect that this kinda stuff might be deliberate. Like how we thought Amell was a wooden actor at first and then realized it's Oliver's PTSD, I'm wondering if Laurel intentionally didn't 100% look the part because she wasn't supposed to. Season 3 Laurel was someone trying to step into shoes that didn't fit but Season 4 Laurel grew to fit those shoes over the summer.

teagone posted:

Just finished the season premiere. Holy poo poo I hated every bit in suburbia with Olicity but everything else was pretty cool.

Yeah, see this is the kind of thing I'm talking about - deliberately designed to be hated because it's supposed to seem unnatural that Olicity is in suburbia instead of fight crime. The fact that the most discordant part of the episode was Oliver-in-Suburbia instead of Darkh going all Neo on those arrows (when mysticism was only a limited part of the show previously) really speaks volumes about the ability to build a show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's not spoilers to point out that Sara is coming back alive and Constantine is going to be a major part of the story. That's been well known and widely discussed for months, especially for anyone who's watched the Legends of Tomorrow trailer.

Or maybe I'm wrong, someone can tell me otherwise I'm not going to hide those details next time the subject comes up.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's already been revealed that Constantine is going to be a huge part in bringing Sara back to life which makes sense since she's been dead for nearly a year now (so not as simple as tossing her into the pit like they did with Thea), and also that Sara's resurrection is going to have a very large impact on Laurel's story going forward.

At this point, between that and the mystical approach to Darhk, I'm looking forward to seeing how they're gonna handle the supernatural stuff this season.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I'm still laughing at Ollie repeating Ra's Al Ghul's hive line verbatim for some reason and Diggle having a 1 second flashback of when The Man With A Glowing Eyepatch said the word hive to him

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scyantific posted:

It's already been revealed that Constantine is going to be a huge part in bringing Sara back to life which makes sense since she's been dead for nearly a year now (so not as simple as tossing her into the pit like they did with Thea), and also that Sara's resurrection is going to have a very large impact on Laurel's story going forward.

At this point, between that and the mystical approach to Darhk, I'm looking forward to seeing how they're gonna handle the supernatural stuff this season.

I wouldn't really say "huge part" because as far as I know he's just in the one episode.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Is Hive basically DC's Hydra?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Not really, it's a minor organization loosely affiliated with Deathstroke in some incarnations. It was really big as an enemy of the Teen Titans but that's about it afaik.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jackson Taus posted:

The way it sounded, it was like Darkh has him over a barrel. The obvious thing to think here is "I promise we won't kill Laurel when we fight her so long as you comply" which matches up to the one mook hesitating when he has her at gunpoint (though that's a pretty standard trope so I could be reading into it too much). The less obvious but much cooler thing would be I dug up your daughter Sara's grave and rezzed her because magic, but she's my prisoner until I get what I want.

What I thought at first was, "Lance tried to align with the new troublemakers to make sure things didn't get out of hand but he got in way over his head" but now I'm thinking Darhk may have placed some kind of curse on him and won't remove it unless he obeys. Then obviously he won't remove it, and that's why Lance ends up in that grave.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scyantific posted:

I was hoping he just had fancy tech that allowed him to stop the arrows but with his death touch I think I'm wrong. I don't really like the supernatural in Arrow just fits better in The Flash but we will see where they take it. I can easily see Constantine helping out with that but don't know if they will.

Is Palmer coming back at all or just on Legends of Tomorrow?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metahumans fit better on the Flash but I think like magic and sorcery works better on Arrow.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nelson posted:

My guess is Lance Dad. Wasn't he already knocking on Death's door with the whole "if we tell him the truth it will kill him" plot line?
Yeah what happened with that? Apparently his heart failure got better because he's leading the charge everywhere the police go gun blazing and even took a bullet in front of Laurel after being thrown into a wall and shook it off with Laurel just doing a quick 'you ok?' check vs. 'OH MY GOD YOUR HEART WE HAVE TO GET YOU TO THE HOSPITAL NOW' like last season.

...ooooor maybe that's what Damien Darhk gave him, limited immortality in exchange for helping him out. Though I suspect a Sara connection like others have speculated too since she's been too dead for too long for the Pits.

Also it could very well be Felicity that dies, because alternate realities. I expect a whole lotta crazy this season because they have the ability to handwave it all away with the singularity stuff from Flash.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
How did Thea's characterisation go from "Whoo! Terrorists are shooting machine guns at me! This is fun!" go to "I HAVE ANGER ISSUES AND I WILL BEAT YOUR SKULL IN AND CUT YOUR HEAD OFF!" in the space of one episode?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VagueRant posted:

How did Thea's characterisation go from "Whoo! Terrorists are shooting machine guns at me! This is fun!" go to "I HAVE ANGER ISSUES AND I WILL BEAT YOUR SKULL IN AND CUT YOUR HEAD OFF!" in the space of one episode?

She's a zombie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

VagueRant posted:

Her characterization didn't change though. She gets an "high" for lack of a better term from fighting and being in combat, she isn't angry, and she hasn't displayed any anger issues. It seems more like she loses herself in that moment.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Metahumans fit better on the Flash but I think like magic and sorcery works better on Arrow.

Concur. Flash is really trying to go for a high-tech/sci-fi route with wormholes and particles. Switching from "she can teleport because quantum entanglement" to "she can teleport because chakra and magic and shadow mana" is at least as jarring.

Oracle posted:

Also it could very well be Felicity that dies, because alternate realities. I expect a whole lotta crazy this season because they have the ability to handwave it all away with the singularity stuff from Flash.

I would be very very surprised if they used something that happens on a Flash episode as required viewing to understand the plot of Arrow (or vice-versa). Deathbolt's powers hinted at as coming from somewhere other than the STAR Labs explosion and Ray getting some help with his suit are orders of magnitude different from a character getting resurrected or an episode getting ret-conned because of what happens on the Flash.

Oliver bought Felicity an engagement ring - unless you actually think that "The Olicity Wedding" is going to be an actual Season 5 episode, odds are good that something bad happens to their relationship at some point, probably this season. Since Oliver wasn't mega-pissed by Felicity's working with the team behind his back, that means it's unlikely to be her betraying him that ends their relationship and he's got plot armor, so either (a) she freaks out at the idea of marrying him and bails when she sees the ring, (b) he reverts to being a man-whore, or (c) she's forced out of the picture somehow. I don't really see "let's just be friends" as a viable direction they could go. So if Felicity is likely going to be out of the picture and somebody dies in the back half of the season, I think the math probably points in that direction.

Also, the producers originally said that [spoiler]Oliver/Laurel AKA Green Arrow/Black Canary is the end-game[/spoilers], right?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ville Valo posted:

I'm shocked Arrow had a better premier episode than Flash, but here we are!

And the comic-book-show shuffle continues.

Also, I found it hilarious that the way light reflected off of Dig's helmet made a huge, glowing M on it.

Totally not Magneto!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Disappointed in the voice modulator use w/ Oliver this episode, not that its ever been the show's strong point.It just sounded incredibly off.

During retreat mode in the 1st team fight, Diggle didn't get enough love for that 'no-look-behind-the back' gunshot to the encroaching henchman. It looked slick as hell.

I personally suspect the grave scene indicates Felicity, but I wouldn't be shocked if its a further misdirection. I'm thinking something along the lines of the closing chanter of Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns'.

Good to see we're circling back to H.I.V.E. - indicates a strong, Diggle-centric season.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

Concur. Flash is really trying to go for a high-tech/sci-fi route with wormholes and particles. Switching from "she can teleport because quantum entanglement" to "she can teleport because chakra and magic and shadow mana" is at least as jarring.

I would be very very surprised if they used something that happens on a Flash episode as required viewing to understand the plot of Arrow (or vice-versa). Deathbolt's powers hinted at as coming from somewhere other than the STAR Labs explosion and Ray getting some help with his suit are orders of magnitude different from a character getting resurrected or an episode getting ret-conned because of what happens on the Flash.

Oliver bought Felicity an engagement ring - unless you actually think that "The Olicity Wedding" is going to be an actual Season 5 episode, odds are good that something bad happens to their relationship at some point, probably this season. Since Oliver wasn't mega-pissed by Felicity's working with the team behind his back, that means it's unlikely to be her betraying him that ends their relationship and he's got plot armor, so either (a) she freaks out at the idea of marrying him and bails when she sees the ring, (b) he reverts to being a man-whore, or (c) she's forced out of the picture somehow. I don't really see "let's just be friends" as a viable direction they could go. So if Felicity is likely going to be out of the picture and somebody dies in the back half of the season, I think the math probably points in that direction.

Also, the producers originally said that [spoiler]Oliver/Laurel AKA Green Arrow/Black Canary is the end-game[/spoilers], right?

Oliver says "I have to kill this person." And she says "I can't be with a killer." And Oliver has to kill whoever it is anyway because if he doesn't then a lot of other people will die and Felicity can't do simple math for the sake of plot drama and lazy writing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

Disappointed in the voice modulator use w/ Oliver this episode, not that its ever been the show's strong point.It just sounded incredibly off.

Yeah, I noticed that. The first time he spoke it had some distance to it,which made sense because the focus was on Damien and Oliver was on the other side of the car. But then it seemed like they kept that through his whole speech even in close-ups.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jackson Taus posted:

I think if Felicity does it will actually be AFTER they get married, either immediately, or after a few episodes have established it as the new normal for maximum shock since everyone would expect it at the wedding.

But for maximum humor in going to say that grave in the teaser is Sara Lance, who will die again, but return again next season, immediately getting on a boat.

Sara Lance is the Krillin of Arrow.

greatn fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 8, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Oracle posted:

Yeah what happened with that? Apparently his heart failure got better because he's leading the charge everywhere the police go gun blazing and even took a bullet in front of Laurel after being thrown into a wall and shook it off with Laurel just doing a quick 'you ok?' check vs. 'OH MY GOD YOUR HEART WE HAVE TO GET YOU TO THE HOSPITAL NOW' like last season.

That whole justification for not telling Lance about Sarah was loving dumb from the outset, I'm glad it's another thing they have dropped.

VagueRant posted:

It's the same characterisation - she gets a rush from the danger and the violence.

However that was another scene highlighting how Arrows stunt guys don't get how bullets work - 4 guys firing full auto at a target 10 yards away, miss with everything.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr Beens posted:

However that was another scene highlighting how Arrows stunt guys don't get how bullets work - 4 guys firing full auto at a target 10 yards away, miss with everything.

This is pretty much comic_books.txt so I'm willing to give them a pass. :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

This is pretty much comic_books.txt so I'm willing to give them a pass. :v:

Meanwhile Dig one shots dudes from point blank without any difficulties.

The amount of full auto fire on tv shows must keep the prop houses in clover; the only ones that really do it well though are Cinemax's shows.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

highlighting how Arrows stunt guys don't get how bullets work - 4 guys firing full auto at a target 10 yards away, miss with everything.

I understand this frustration, 'bad guys can't aim' is a staple of pretty much everything forever, and of course its lazy and dumb. However, I find Arrow and Flash's open embrace with all dumb things genre from head to toe kind of endearing at the same time. Both shows, even at their best, have always been super flawed, but not so much to ruin the show because the core elements of the show are so well done.

And some of the season 1/2 fights were pretty great. I wish they would stick to the wider shots for a little longer with a little less obviously deceptive cutting, but its television and they're probably on tight schedules and budgets.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nelson posted:

Is Hive basically DC's Hydra?

The League of Assassins is probably the closest thing to Hydra actually, at least based on the comics. For a DC group that's more snake themed, however, there's Kobra.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
AIM (Marvel) & HIVE (DC, original version) are sort of near counterpoints

http://marvel.com/universe/A.I.M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.I.V.E.#1st_Incarnation

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

hi liter posted:

And some of the season 1/2 fights were pretty great. I wish they would stick to the wider shots for a little longer with a little less obviously deceptive cutting, but its television and they're probably on tight schedules and budgets.

The fight with China White in S1 was awesome.

Aphrodite posted:

Agreed 100%. And hopefully with the new focus on mysticism and things like that we can maybe get an explanation as to how Ollie was actually resurrected...

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

My Q-Face posted:

And you know all of the complaints I had about Laurel just not looking the part last year? Well, it doesn't apply anymore. Somebody got her to lift weights and got her a properly fitting leather jacket, and taught her how to use the nightsticks.

Katie Cassidy, Laurel's actress, mentioned this in an interview. The show let her work out more and got her to work with the fight scene coordinator this season. As for last season, she worked with the costume designer of the show to make the Black Canary suit for herself, so the bagginess was planned. Even Nyssa sort of alludes to it before she's fully Black Canary by stating, "That jacket does not suit you."

Jackson Taus posted:

Also, the producers originally said that Oliver/Laurel AKA Green Arrow/Black Canary is the end-game, right?

They reneged on that later, stating they didn't count on the reaction fans would give to Felicity.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

hi liter posted:

I understand this frustration, 'bad guys can't aim' is a staple of pretty much everything forever, and of course its lazy and dumb. However, I find Arrow and Flash's open embrace with all dumb things genre from head to toe kind of endearing at the same time. Both shows, even at their best, have always been super flawed, but not so much to ruin the show because the core elements of the show are so well done.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I generally love the action stuff in this show (and flash) it's just when our heroes are primarily melee based it just highlights the tv show aiming even more than usual.
It's more of a personal minor bugbear than a major criticism

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Pan Dulce posted:

They reneged on that later, stating they didn't count on the reaction fans would give to Felicity.

Add to that, Amell and Cassidy don't really have a lot of romantic chemistry together. They click just fine as friends/comrades in arms, but even when they were trying to push the "ex-lovers working their way back together" angle, they never quite jumped off the screen the way he and Rickards did from "It feels really good having you inside me UH WAIT :byodood:"

Again, that's not a reason why it COULDN'T happen, but if I'm at the head of the table and I want to keep some sort of romantic angle in the show, I'm gonna want a drat good reason to permanent(ish)ly write off the actress who has the best chemistry with my lead. (Of course, it could be a Good Wife situation with Rickards saying "Look, I'm tapped out.")

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 8, 2015

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've always felt Laurel and Ollie have great romantic chemistry, whereas he and Felicity have great friend/teammate chemistry.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

iamnotcreative posted:

This was apparently at the beginning of Ollie's flashback

Zutaten posted:

Right at the beginning of the bar scene with Waller.

I absolutely love that they have moved past teasing Green Lantern to just straight up taunting.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Ollie and Laurel's relationship is more one between equals, while Ollie and Felicity still feels very much like a superior/subordinate relationship.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

Since Oliver wasn't mega-pissed by Felicity's working with the team behind his back, that means it's unlikely to be her betraying him that ends their relationship and he's got plot armor, so either (a) she freaks out at the idea of marrying him and bails when she sees the ring, (b) he reverts to being a man-whore, or (c) she's forced out of the picture somehow. I don't really see "let's just be friends" as a viable direction they could go. So if Felicity is likely going to be out of the picture and somebody dies in the back half of the season, I think the math probably points in that direction.
If they keep him true to the comics it'll be option b. Any Russian femme fatales Ollie can hook up with in DC canon? (this season's flashbacks is supposed to be Russian mob related, right?)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Ollie and Laurel's relationship is more one between equals, while Ollie and Felicity still feels very much like a superior/subordinate relationship.

Which is weird because Laurel wears a gimp suit.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Anybody else weirded out by Amell using his normal tenor while talking instead of the usual deeper Grim Oliver tone? Like, you get used to one thing and it's weird hearing him using that tone when he's in the Arrow Cave. The lighter tone starts with Amell's voice.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

Anybody else weirded out by Amell using his normal tenor while talking instead of the usual deeper Grim Oliver tone? Like, you get used to one thing and it's weird hearing him using that tone when he's in the Arrow Cave. The lighter tone starts with Amell's voice.

you mean the going back and forth between the voice modulator and high pitched ollie on the emergency broadcast system? yeah, don't like that voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Caper posted:

I've always felt Laurel and Ollie have great romantic chemistry, whereas he and Felicity have great friend/teammate chemistry.

Really? I feel like it's watching a bad episode of Sister Wives with them. I was so glad that terrible game of badminton between the Lance sisters and Oliver is done.

• Locked thread