Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked this premiere better than Flash's. Flash did a lot of tying things up and getting the team back together, while this premiere set a lot of plots in motion instead (Thea's rage, Digg's issues, Dahrk (who I hope gets a Magnificent Bastard competition with Merlyn)). Nice to see Oliver with a smile, I hope he doesn't lose that in future episodes.

That said, they have a hell of a lot of work to do with the stinger. I don't think I've ever seen a show do a "this year, SOMEONE. WILL. DIE." that actually satisfied. Best thing I think they could do in that respect is to ignore that whole thing until it happens, leave the stinger and speculation as a "treat" for fans and not something to be hammered home. Last thing this show needs is more time jumps, and if they get into "by the way, did we remember to tell you that SOMEONE. WILL. DIE." in future episodes it's gonna be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Portax posted:

The writers teased Green Lantern so hard that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Hal Jordan's grave.

The grave stone reads "any hope of Green Lantern appearing in this show."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Anybody else weirded out by Amell using his normal tenor while talking instead of the usual deeper Grim Oliver tone? Like, you get used to one thing and it's weird hearing him using that tone when he's in the Arrow Cave. The lighter tone starts with Amell's voice.

I noticed that too. He sounds like one of the Power of Friendship side characters while Diggle and Thea have taken over as brooding mainliners.

My favorite part of the episode would have to be when Dahrk (Dark? Darkh? Dharkh?) revealed his name Ollie's reaction was "done talking FIRE ARROWS!" No "Dahrk? Ras's outcast frenemy and the only person he feared? I will stop you!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scyantific posted:

That's probably why he started firing arrows. He knew poo poo was bad enough to warrant an immediate takedown.

Exactly. I'm really happy I didn't have to yell "shoot him you idiot" at my TV.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

And the writers said in post interviews that they haven't decided who's gonna be in that grave for sure so try not to get Lost af in here.

If they're not just BSing the fans (because a "we're not telling" will have people trying to weasel it out of them at every public appearance), that's exactly how you *don't* do something like this. You're writing a blank check with an expiration date and assuming you'll have enough money in the account to pay whatever the fans qrite there when it comes due.

...that is a TERRIBLE analogy, but gently caress it I'm posting live.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

These are somehow all wrong. It's Damien Darhk.

Bloody hell, you'd think that after 30 years of spelling Channukkahh I'd have this permutations thing down pat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

greatn posted:

It wasn't even really a gently caress up. Securing the package was far more important to the plan than killing a couple of vigilantes. Dude made the right call. That's just poor management from Darhk. You admonish your subordinates in private, not in public.

I can't remember, did Ras take a similar approach? I know some of his guys killed themselves out of loyalty, but I don't recall if "less than perfect" was a death sentence.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zutaten posted:

So does that mean we'll get Power Girl in Flash/Arrow then instead?

That would be a fun way around the embargo.

"I was cloned in a lab." "Really? Who from?" "Oh, you wouldn't know her" *wink at the camera*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"All of your attacks are focused around crippling people!"
"Gee, it's almost as if I was trained by an ASSASSIN or something."

Speaking of which, given Merlyn's opinions on bringing Thea back in the first place, what are the odds his solution to her issues will be "she belongs dead" and trying to kill her?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I think its mostly that the article is calling him an "old friend" which may explain how Ollie came back from the dead after R'as killed him, but probably not.

I assume it's flashback material, since this is supposed to deal with the mystical somehow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pizdec posted:

Quting this for posterity.

Also, love the bump in action choreography this season. Less flips and more actual shooting of arrows, in S3 it was mostly swinging bows around like swords and it got real old real fast. Thea vs. Ollie was a nice showcase of "fighting styles as expressions of different personalities", something TV shows often struggle with.

Editing is still frantic as poo poo, but oh well, budgets.

A lot of the big hits in Thea vs Ollie tended to be blocked by shelves and such which would then get knocked over. A bit annoying to notice, but I suppose if they're having trouble selling those parts of the fight it's a better option.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Why are Laurel and Thea digging up Sara and trying to resurrect her? I don't buy Nyssa's assumption that it has anything to do with grief, because it's a year later.

Because Laurel is broken.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You can't leave a "get out of death free" card lying around, it just gets cheap. You need to come up with a new card every time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natalya Fartz posted:

I kinda hope it's Roy's grave, after another cutting room floor flippy fight scene. Mostly cause it would be the biggest cop out.

Roy actually died at the beginning of that flash-forward, but it was cut for time. The scene wasn't supposed to be ambiguous at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Ray/Cisco Brodown was the best part of last season. If he wasn't going to LoT I'd be just fine with him moving to Central City.

To be fair, Cisco/Everybody is pretty high on the list of both shows. He interacts well with people.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I have to say, when I heard Lady Cop would be on the show I didn't expect her to be the bad guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Diggle is clearly Mr T.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That was a fun episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm still weirded out by S4 Ollie being happy, or at least *trying* to be happy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Darkness formerly known as Rising.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Also Thea loves Roy forever! Thea is pushing people away due to her murderousness! The wants to find love with a guy whose had two scenes of setup!

I assume he's gonna wind up evil.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Merlyn is the most awkward dad it's hilarious.

His look at the end seemed like "a chance to help my daughter AND screw over Darhk? You DO love me!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

One of these guys should probably go deal with that pedophile at some point though, yeah?

Accused pedophile. Malcom said never convicted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

i wondered if anybody else thought it was real dumb for Lance to talk about the dock thing he read off the desk literally seconds after Dahrk said he's lost trust in him and threatened him? Like that's a set up if I ever saw one.

Yeah, that body is gonna drop.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

His scenes didn't wind up lost in editing, they hid out of shyness.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Felicity has a right to be mad and it's like...not really? Or only...kinda? She's just making Oliver's legitimate problems all about herself, as usual. It makes sense that she has a hangup about Oliver keeping secrets but her total lack of sympathy here was just as frustrating as it always is.

And, you know, trust works two ways.

When they got back to the apartment and the jar of stones was scattered all over the floor I assumed it was ring time. Guess they have some more distance to go until then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

The Mummy was awesome we should be so lucky to have a90s era Brendan Fraser doing his Han Solo impression

The Mummy worked for the same reason Army of Darkness does; it's campy fun that *knows* it's campy fun. That self-awareness is why Flash/Arrow work pretty well (CW drama aside) while Supergirl is still in the "I'm going to walk over here and say my lines" phase, and the Egypt flashbacks didn't have that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Judging from the trailer I don't think Felicity gets fridged.

looks more like a walk-in supermarket freezer

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

raditts posted:

At least they didn't do the ultra clichéd "surprise t-bone" I guess?

Even Supergirl did that one this week. While in flight.

That end scene, they did the exact same thing in Godfather or Untouchables or something, didn't they?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Gunning down a car is a very common movie thing.

Yeah, I mean the juxtaposition with the Boss spending quality family time and music appropriate to that scene rather than the shooting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

So is Darhk making a self-sustainable ecosystem for hiding out from some "cleanse the planet" biological weapon, or does he just plan to start selling Perri-air?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, it's kind of funny that when Ollie asked Dahrk what would happen if he refused his offer, the answer was "You won't be running unopposed," as if HIVE would indeed introduce their own candidate. Instead, they went the subtler route of armed kidnapping and gas chambers.

I sincerely thought Darhk was going to run for mayor. "This battle will be fought in the light" and all that. A bit late for that now, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

"I got this picture of Damien Dahrk for the head of a secret society called the League of Assassins, whom I learned from the clandestine spy organization called ARGUS"

"This is the only picture of Damien Darhk, aside from the ones we got by illegally hacking traffic cameras. You know, the ones that show him being chummy with the Police Chief. But that's okay, we're friends."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Personally I think a DAahark rendition of Santa Baby was the way to go in that scene. Although technically Santa is a Christmas figure his image is a lot more secular than baby Jesus.

They were just at a lighting ceremony, so I think Ner Li Dakik (I Have a Candle) would work well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XPbf0bMqg4

The downside is not as many commercial versions as Christmas songs. Most goyim don't even know we have ones that don't involve dreidels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, the main thing for Amell is that they were able to give him more physical stunts than a typical celebrity guest, and he did a good job of executing/selling them. Even something as simple as

takes some effort.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Barrowman is getting paid to write fanfiction about the character he plays on TV based on a comicbook.

Living the dream.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Does this mean Vixen S2 will be longer than a half hour all put together?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

squee!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Squee? gently caress right off. Grow up.

Look, Phantom of the Opera was written specifically for stars with unusual vocal ranges. If anyone gets even CLOSE to pulling those high notes off, I'm gonna squee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I guess they're putting Vertigo in pain pills now.

• Locked thread