Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nelson posted:

Is Hive basically DC's Hydra?

The League of Assassins is probably the closest thing to Hydra actually, at least based on the comics. For a DC group that's more snake themed, however, there's Kobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm a little disappointed they decided to do the SOMEONE WILL DIE without a 100% clear and thought out direction as to who it is and why. Like they'll just figure it out as they go?

They probably have a vague idea, but given that this probably won't come up again until after the second round of filming for the season means that they have enough time to lay out some threads for a potential character death, see which ones the fans pull on the most or whichever one best fits fan reactions and then write the death in that direction. It also gives them an out in case of contract shenanigans or actors needing to drop out due to reasons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bbf2 posted:

Or maybe it's supposed to be somewhere else and the producers only have the budget for one graveyard set...

It could be in an alternate universe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

greatn posted:

Michael Holts pretty loving awesome in my opinion, even if I didn't know he's Mr Terrific I really liked his character.

He has a boyfriend too iirc. I bet he's named Terry Sloan

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I thought it was pretty clear by now that the no-kill policy only applies to people with names. As I recall they killed a ton of Assassins last year and Ollie killed that guy while hallucinating without comment.

Dig's shooting rubber bullets now and the Arrows are aiming at nonvital organs. Clearly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I really liked this episode but thought they were going for a more lighter tone this season? Felicity CEO subplots pretty terribad.

To come into the light, sometimes one must go through the darkness.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rarity posted:

Anarky was really fun, it looks like the show was setting him up to come back again and I really hope he does. I missed how Ollie used to have recurring B-list villains.

Someone needs to gif Thea's sliding move in the final fight, that was super badass.

We need a new Count Vertigo. Maybe one that's an actual Count this time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I know that hyping Ray would be a thing for the promos, but I feel like it could be something packed into the B-plot where he's finally discovered and Felicity's now trying to find him. I just really want Ray back.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlackJosh posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this. I saw it go by and I figured I had to have misread it or something. Speed Weed!

It's just like Joe Kerr working on Batman: TAS and other DCAU properties

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

EricFate posted:

Now that they have a new 'tech wizard' character in the story, she is just expendable enough for that to work.

Well he's a tech wizard and a decathlete so he'll more likely be their field tech while Felicity calls the shots at the Quiver.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I've mixed some of John Constantine up with Elijah Snow (Planetary), as far as the being powerful thing. It's probably the trench coat.

Like I said, it's been years since I've seen either so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff like that I've mixed up in my head.

That reminds me, we'll probably not get the Trenchcoat Brigade, will we?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Earth 2 Arrow Hood is Ollie's dad as the Hood with Felicity's dad as tech support. Laurel was on the boat instead of Sara and Det. Lance is a PI after getting kicked off of the force for alcoholism. Slade was killed instead of losing his eye and Malcolm joined HIVE instead of the League.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Quentin Lance as The Question

Obvious in hindsight

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Amell has been teasing that he might actually put on the Green Arrow facial hair after all.
Presumably when he goes undercover to infiltrate the criminal underbelly under the name Tindersticks Thompson

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

Seriously. Even though the shots around the shipping containers felt a bit rough at times (i got the feeling that something about the lighting was off) the style of the fight cinematography was fantastic. If they stick with it I'd be quite happy. This season feels like it's a different show, and I mean that in the best way.

The shipping container fight looked like it was shot in a sound stage based on how everything was lit rather than, say, outdoors between actual shipping containers. Everything might've just been way too well lit which messes up the perception of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

I forgot, was it revealed that the ghosts are all zombies? Like that is what they are implying right? Diggle's brother seemed way too animated though.

As far as the series has revealed, the Ghosts are pretty much drones that'll follow Dahrk's every order thanks to the pills

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Also a smaller run means they can have leaner plot arcs and story lines. It might not work but it might

Most of the characters also had their intros and development finished so there's less need to have character development scenesfor those characters. The Hawks and Rip will obviously have an episode each focused on them but the others are pretty much settled.

It's nice to see Rory becoming a Time Lord though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Yeah I'd prefer if the Flashbacks were ditched as well. Season 3 and 4 flashbacks haven't felt natural at all and have just felt shoe horned and retconned in to so the formula can stay relevant. There is enough going on in the world that we no longer need to see Ollie pre-arrow. I'd much rather see them take that time to flesh out some of side characters. Taking some of that time and dedicating it to Captain Lance for instant would be awesome. I'd be all in on getting to him working some relevant cases.

I assume the flashbacks are leading somewhere at least vaguely connected to Dahrk or HIVE, but it's obviously taking its sweet time getting there. The pacing between flashbacks is okay though at least.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

And because of how unnecessarily brutal it was. And then DC editorial IIRC essentially disavowed any acknowledgement of her being a Robin .

Killing someone close to the hero has been around since the beginning of fiction. It's cliche sure, but it's not some huge sin to kill off a female character.

That denial was at least overturned eventually

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Felicity's had enough of Ollie keeping secrets and Ollie has had a very long history of keeping very important secrets from those around him so her reaction is a bit understandable in that Ollie was being super dodgy when confronted with the evidence. It would've probably have been okay afterwards if not for Savage though. Ollie is really bad at telling people things without actually revealing anything though. All he could have said was "If I tell you, I may not be able to see him" or something along those lines.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

Speaking of Stephen Amell playing masked Vigilantes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeaugHGd1Kw&t=69s

UGGGGHHHH. I watched only to see Amell. As soon as the turtles showed up, NOPE

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

So is Darhk making a self-sustainable ecosystem for hiding out from some "cleanse the planet" biological weapon, or does he just plan to start selling Perri-air?

Given that the name of the big project is "Genesis," I'm thinking it's probably something like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

The little drummer is explicitly a Christmas song... Did they intend that after Felicity made a big deal of Christmas vs holidays?

Is there a different holiday song that could double as a foreboding, yet festive march?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So who's really for Ollie to fight Dahrk's wife?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

flosofl posted:

So she's DC version of Manimal? Or does she just "borrow" their abilities as a human?

I know I could google this poo poo, I just couldn't pass up a chance to make Manimal comparison.

I don't know who Manimal is, but she does basically "borrow" their skills so she can fly by borrowing flight from a bird or strength from an elephant or jumping from a grasshopper. There's probably a caveat or two to her powers, but it's less restrictive than Animal Man's who has the exact same powers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bentacos posted:

The next Flash/Arrow crossover should just be a musical episode.

This should be brought up at every opportunity at every convention they're at. At this point, we probably don't need NPH if we can get a musical episode. It does need them to put the overarching melodramatic plots for a bit, but still.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Next week is a Felicity episode so that should be good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It's Malcolm in the grave, and Ollie is super mad at Damien because he called dibs.

Maybe it's Thea and the plug was pulled on her or something. (I like Thea though. Don't kill her. :ohdear:)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
How would Roy's hat stay on when he does all those flips?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

WB is horrible at planning.

It's flailing as Disney/Marvel gets those sweet superhero bucks

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Suicide Squad definitely looks like it doesn't know what to do with itself based on the trailers. On the one hand, there's Harley being a nutjob murderhobo blowing all the things up with giddy glee and on the other, there's Deadshot who looks to be dark and brooding and and sad and serious. It's like they belong in two different types of movies yet they're smushed together for whatever bizarre reason.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Yeah, no one has ever heard of "Planet of the Apes" before.

I don't think anyone cared about it all that much until Rise got rave reviews

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

We already have Marvel making the same type of movie 3 times a year, a different style is okay.

It's not like Green Lantern being in that joke, joke, joke, this is my serious face mold made it any better.

Green Lantern was bizarre in that it was a flop, but made almost all the production costs back. A few less missteps and it could've turned an actual profit. Berlanti was also co-producer of that film iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

When that chick started shooting the nail gun, I was really hoping she'd turn out to be DC's best villian, The Carpenter

Same. She was part of some of the more interesting additions to Batman before Nu52 alongside Dick-Bats

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Batgirl of Burndide is good, but it sorta feels like this should've taken place before she became Oracle rather than after. It's likely because of the art style and writing and the New 52 that she's more youthful than before, but Stephanie Brown as Batgirl was good. Cassandra Cain was also good (mostly in theory sadly)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Krad posted:

He'll never top the OG Count Vertigo though.

No one will. :(

He should've been the Joker to Ollie's Batman. Anarky might fill that role instead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

We've still got a bunch of episodes to go in the season, so either Darhk has to escape, and find another way to get magic powers (since he doesn't appear to be any particular threat without them) or we're headed for a big reveal that he wasn't actually the big bad for the season like we thought he was - kinda like season 2 where we thought Blood was going to be the big bad, but then Slade was revealed - around this time of the season too IIRC. They may even be aiming to redeem Damien and turn him into the new Malcolm style frenemy.

We do know that he's part of a larger organization and he seems to answer to them to some degree. It might be someone higher up the chain that's revealed or it may be Dahrk's wife taking a more active role.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Do they not care anymore, or is this just scraping the bottom of the barrel because DC keeps taking away characters for them to use?

They haven't used Kiteman or Condiment King yet. Also Crazy Quilt.

Or The Weeper, Sportsmaster and lots more. The barrel is quite deep and they've probably not gone all that far down.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 10, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

There's rumblings that a season 3 could be in the works, because of YJ's popularity on streaming sites. It wouldn't be my first choice for a new DC cartoon series, but I'd certainly not complain.

I hope it's Netflix that gets the license to produce it
S3 looked like it was building up to a fight against Darkseid and Apokalypse.

Otoh, they should make a S1.5 short series to bridge the gap so people don't have to play a video game to figure out what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If Cupid is coming back, that brings up the question of what happened to Lawton since she was last smitten with him iirc.

• Locked thread