Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
lol this garbage game uses more security than my bank
I had to sit here figuring out what spelling of "Trippin' Balls" I used 3 years ago for my mushroom dude engineer just to reset my password

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So is SFD or GS still active at all? Back when I played we had a ton of spilover guilds and I was repping the old CoH goons, which is pretty much dead.

I also love the way that instead of letting you assign your ownskill points it guesses kinda what build sorta matches your previous one, and ended up dumping points entirely into abilities not on my bar.
I take it there's a respec trainer in town?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dorkopotamis posted:

Besides the other two builds I mentioned, I also rarely see pistol rogues in sPvP. I think it's inarguable that removing lots of traits has limited build diversity.

Well yeah, but there's also a lot of nonviable stuff taken off the board too. I think in a practical sense it's easier to make diversity with a devteam say making pistols actually good by making the skills work rather than a spunky player finding the right balance of points to put in the stabman tree (that specifically mention the same damage type as bullets).
We've all had cool builds lost from games doing that but it takes good devs to balance a "tinker with your stats and percentage stuff" talent system work.

I mean hell I had a rifle build for my engineer back when this game launched and coming back because of the weird way I had to build around buffs and debuffs the game assumed I was almost a pure potion chucker when I signed back on last night.

Also nice to see the game still randomly crashes to desktop on load screens.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ruffz posted:

I finally got this poo poo to reinstall after downloading at 250kb/s and below for like a day and a half. Logged off after about 5 minutes when I realized I had no idea how to play my Mesmer anymore. Looks like I need to set aside a few hours just to look at the skill menu.

Use any dyes in your bank and then hop on all of you alts so it'll consolidate your cash monies and also give you anniversary junk. How often do character slots go on sale? Like that's the primary thing that has me interested in preordering or even getting any boxes besides base of the expansion, but if the expansion box'll be down to 30 in a year and every few months character slots cost 4 bucks it's really not worth shelling out 70 for 2-3 slots.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dorkopotamis posted:

I played world of warcraft for six months at release and then close to a year after the second or third (the one with death knights) expansion and I don't think any of the launch dungeons had changed from launch. I don't think that that's good, it just might be the precedent.

Scarlet Monastary got revamped in Wrath (the one with the death knights) at launch, and a few of the giant maze dungeons with questlines that required you to complete the thing multiple times got revamped when the dungeon queue system got introduced in the same expansion. Nax the old vanilla raid also got revamped for the expansion/retuned to the new max level.
They did most of the reviewing/updating old content the expansion after you stopped playing though. Funny enough with the exception of "dude this is a confusing maze meant to be only partially done per run" wing seperated dungeons they left the maps mostly untouched just redid the encounters, so there was still a big difference in how much of a slog older stuff was compared to new.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Riftling posted:

I don't get all of the WoW comparisons. The Naxx raid got the earliest revamp (which was really just a level adjustment) two years after it was released only because they sunk a lot of effort into the raid and it was made irrelevant six months after it was released. The earliest dungeon revamps came six years after release in Cataclysm as a part of revamping the early level experience.

The naxx revamp was much more than just making numbers bigger, remember it also had to be adjusted for the new raid sizes, so had to have some fights rebalanced around the different number of tanks. Plus even during wrath (again tail end of it) they'd already begun revamping the dungeons that no longer fit their design and play philosophy.

What's far more likely with Anet is as folks said, they don't have staff invested in it, and the playerbase isn't clamouring for it, so why put in the significant resources behind it, especially when they don't have subscribers and with the whole level scaling thing don't quite run into the problem of "Yeah, but we gotta have SOMETHING for folks to do in <lvl range>"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Its not that crazy of an idea some people have hundreds of thousands of gold and they are manipulating the cost of items on the TP. Thats not fair to the average player.

But the game has the gem store/conversion between gold and gems allowing poopsockers to sink gold into gems and get hats, rather than strictly drive up the cost of bear asses.
This conversion also lets someone with a life spend their real monies on gold so they can own the bear asses
Pretty princess dress up IS the gold tax.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm up at 7am no matter what.
It's a disease.

goondolences

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rynder posted:

Haven't been playing as often the past few weeks to try to reset my interest for hot but drat that elite spec grind is disheartening. I'll probably get my ele to tempest, get bored and uninterested in doing the same content again for my robot engi let alone another 8 times.

Then get the remaining points from wvw

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lonk posted:

Real talk, yes the mastery poo poo is grindy as hell and the story/access to various places is gated behind it. The final zone is gated behind maxed out gliding as far as I can tell but again it is account bound and this expansion is meant to last us more than a day so I can understand it even if it slows me way the gently caress down. I stand by my opinion that most of the events though need a serious re-tune because they drag on foreeeeeever and some of them have really lovely mechanics.

There's a champ golden ooze in Auric Basin that's basically a copy paste of the ooze boss from the reactor fractal but with tons of elite healing oozes that heal it back to full hp as soon as they touch him, for example. That poo poo needs to be toned down badly. The story so far though is actually pretty excellent and entertaining to me so kudos on that.

No naked Scarlet clone army 10/10 would play again.

I think they were doing the typical mmo thing of overtuning at launch to avoid the zerg rush of folks rampaging through and having all the new mastery points in a weekend.
I expect them to reduce the HP on stuff otherwise the expansion zones are gonna be like the base game was 4 months after launch, a barren desert of unbeatable content scaled around massive groups, not the only 1 or 2 people in them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

occluded posted:

I can see why people are having problems enjoying the new zones without having their full elite spec unlocked but I for one enjoying the feeling of slowly growing in power and getting new skills to play with.

It helps that the Mesmer shield is really really good in the new zones as having a huge block duration and stun / reflect wall is pretty handy.

(I can't figure out how to love daredevil staff though. So sad...)

Yeah the problem is the way some classes are gated/their elite spec was designed. Some work well enough as a partial toolkit you're unlocking that gets more powerful, or builds off of other talents and builds, others like Scrapper are like "Ok cool, I've got talents and abilities that revolve around being ranged and replacing my weapon with kits, and 50 points gets me the ability to equip a melee weapon :toot:" Really all the gyro stuff should've come first. Instead of "Melee weapon, gyros, the ability to survive in melee"

Whatever I'm just doing some old world stuff now and finishing up personal story since I don't know who all these characters introduced in living world were or why I should care.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mesadoram posted:

Since a bunch of devs read the reddit forum I decided to make a post thanking them for the HP change.

I got downvoted.

I really don't understand...

Look, if you had literally nothing good in your miserable existence and no skills or accomplishments you might want to pretend time sunk in a video game was a badge of honor too. Giving people the same pixels and fun for less work shatters that illusion.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Tequatl is still worth a direct 2g per day on success, couldn't say if there's more people getting credit than finished PvP matches though. Fractals don't even give a full gold just for completing anymore I think.

Which is weird because didn't they say the dungeon gold nerf was gonna be paired with a gain for fractals?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Solumin posted:

Yes, a lot of the story is different based on your race. Obviously in HoT, it's going to be way different for sylvari compared to everyone else.
It's one of the subtle, cool things in GW2.

Yeah it's worth noting that Logan sucks no matter what though, even if the human story still tries to make him a bit more sympathetic, he's still a goonlord who would probably let his own mother bleed out on the street if it meant getting 5 more minutes to sniff Queen Jenna's hair.

Human story really is the worst for base game at least.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Totbot posted:

What does everything think the "easiest" class for HoT content is so far? My wife might be interested in playing again. She's only gotten to lvl 20 or so in the past, but I'm afraid that if she does get into the game this time around that she'd hit the HoT content and get frustrated by the difficulty spike.

I'm thinking Ranger since pet and bow always seem like a decent option for a more casual player doing world events. Plus, there is always the pokemon effect of gotta catch them all for pets. I don't play ranger, so I don't know how they've been in the new content.

Another vote for Minion Master necro with or without reaper when you hit 80. Hands down, the easiest thing to play and still do well, you get two life bars, and even if you're not paying the most attention to what to kill your minions keep hitting/gaining you life.
It was night and day getting into HoT areas as my engie and barely being able to survive swarms of stuff vs my necro being in a 'rough spot' if I had to resummon a minion I didn't self-destruct.

ItBurns posted:

wooden potatoes

That guy is annoying/a bad commentator. I mean I'm sure he's autistic enough to be good at some game he dedicates his life to, but I clicked his video comparing the Chinese client and US client and it was all
"HEE HEE HEE THE TEXT IS IN SQUIGGLY! HA HA HA I CANT READ MOONTALK WHAT SERVER SHOULD I PLAY ON?"
"I think this art is changed wait no it might not be I can't tell. They took out skulls and bones maybe? Hey the people look asian, can I make someone not look asian, oh I like this. Is that music different? <note his mixing is poo poo and you can't even hear said music. Not that he ever shut up.>"

So I'm not sure he could actually communicate how to play or do something.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

for the life of me i'll never understand why people actually like watching dumbasses like him but apparently he makes lore videos or some poo poo which is why most find out about his stuff.

i'd rather just read the drat wiki

Yeah, I'd say it's just part of being old and grumpy, but then again I've seen commentary or how-to videos worth watching or that actually add value over A. Doing it yourself or B. Just reading about it, but so many folks are just doing a bad job of aping whatever LP superstar with a wacky persona they feel like copying.

It's frustrating because like in the case of "There's a lot of differences even in presentation between these localizations, and it's a pain in the rear end to access the Chinese servers, let me show you them" you've got quite a neat topic, I guess he was kind enough not to blare music or take up a quarter of the screen with a reaction cam and stupid logos, so he's steps above some youtubers.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Alteisen posted:

The point of them nerfing gold and xp for dungeons was to get people to no longer do content within the game? That makes no sense. Just straight up remove them then and focus on fractals.

It makes sense from an :effort: standpoint.
Actually removing the content requires work, it requires redoing maps UI elements, removing references to the dungeons (from achievements, currency, mail, NPC dialogue) and/or adding new npcs or whatnot.

Adjusting gold drops and xp just takes changing a few numbers in a db.
The exp isn't bad anyway, especially buffed up with food and celebration boosters you still get a level or two per run, it's just not crazy 5+ levels a run anymore. Gold drops are kinda crappy though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kenshin posted:

Absolutely. I've been looking around for places where it would break things and... maybe jumping puzzles and some parts of dungeons? Have an area debuff that prevents using gliding in those areas, problem solved.

The "worst" thing it would do is maybe make some vistas easier to get to in rare cases.

The problem is less balance and more the amount of work it would take removing/retooling all the invisible walls you'd constantly crash into

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I like the zones and I like the events in them that I've seen so far, I just wish there were more events randomized so the meta in each zone isn't always on a fixed schedule/path. That's what makes it feel like a grind.
Or at least it would if I was bothering advancing instead of going off to play pretty princess or do something else.
It also kinda sucks that you can't save a failed meta yourself, since it's very easy for things to be going great before night starts, then everyone scampers off to AFK and idle reward.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Probad posted:

How is it not entirely awful that someone running multiple cash-shop boosters thinks the experience requirements could stand to drop 30%?

Because he's talking about the final level of the mastery tract that he's now a quarter plus of the way through two weeks into the expansion's release. Also I don't think he's advocating buying those items on the cash shop so much as using the free ones the game shits on you, rather than hording them.

Now I might be wrongly assuming that he hasn't maxed any other mastery yet, and is playing casually, (I'd say no more than 8 hours a week) of play.

I just kinda assumed like most mmo devs they're gonna leave it steeper right now and reduce it as the game ages. Hell ANET even did that with the 1-80 grind. In a month I got 2 characters to 80 (one starting at 36 I'll admit) in far less time played than it took me to get that first character to 36, and with a hell of a lot more dicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i guess asura are the lesser of two evils compared to, like, actual child-looking races in games, but yeah. they either look like horrible abominations or weird anime children...goblin things.

a thing i miss from guild wars 1 is that character creation was a little different depending on what campaign you were starting in, and elona had a lot of cool options in regards to hair and whatever. the transition to gw2 has somehow made humans even more boring and generic than they already were.

"Lore" blocks off access to anywhere not Europe/interesting.
It is a bit funny that Norn have more ethnic diversity than humans, but then again I guess it goes back to that original (though now kinda ditched) lore choice to make humans the race in decline/Tolkien elf stand-ins.

• Locked thread