Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

kater posted:

just the game sometimes feels really empty when you don't know what you are doing is attributing to. Like doing world bosses and dungeons or whatever. You get a whole lot of *stuff* but I don't have a clue what to do with it, or if what I'm doing will lead to anything.

I'm not really sure what I'm complaining about, I just wish I understood the game more.

I'm having similar feelings so I understand you. I played for about a year, did map completion and finished my story but quit until now. My inventory is full of stuff I need to wiki one by one, and the skill system has apparently been overhauled several times so I have no idea about builds. Also I play a thief which apparently means I'm the worst class in the game now.

I've decided to just do the living story and not worry so much but I actually died a bunch of times on the first quest. So now I'm just gonna try to get decent gear and see if I can learn to stop sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

I keep dying in boss fights as a thief. I'm level 80 with exotic berserker gear, using daggers and shortbow. Some of the damage seems completely impossible to avoid and comes out of nowhere, and all the spell effects make it hard to see if there are telegraphs. There are plenty of guides on what skills and gear to use, but I think I'm clearly missing something when it comes to surviving.

Does anyone have one simple trick discovered by a mom to help me not suck so much? Should I just plink with my shortbow and accept my terribleness?

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was listening a little too much to the min-maxing guides out there. They made it sound like there's only one option at all for thieves. :)

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

Unrelated to HoL really, but I can't find good info on this on the wiki and I'm dumb.

I've still got masterwork jewelry and trinkets on my level 80. Where do I find ascended or, even bette, exotic stuff for these slots?

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I don't get why people aren't liking Daredevil, it's fun as heck (note: in open-world PvE, HoT specifically). I'm sure I'm suboptimal or whatever, but I can play the game like I'm playing Dark Souls: the only time I get hit is when I get lazy or overextend myself. I have three full dodges, Withdraw on a 15 second cooldown, all my dodges apply huge AoE conditions, I have an on-demand blind with Staff 4, a very low cooldown block in Bandit's Defense, I can't be crippled or immobilized (Staff 3), and I steal things constantly. Because I'm dumb and go for total overkill on dodging I'm using Adventurer runes, which means I get half my endurance back every time I Withdraw (again, every 15 seconds), and a Stamina sigil on my staff, which means I literally can't stop dodging. I'm whipping in and out of melee constantly, leaving everything in my wake crippled, bleeding, tormented, and swinging at nothing. It's rad.

I like Daredevil, but it's the only class I have above 30! I also probably take flavour into account more than most when picking class. Could you explain how to use Bandit's Defense and block right? I used that skill at first but I have no clue if I'm supposed to block the big telegraph attacks or just pop it whenever it's off cooldown.

Also, should I have a level 53 char for all the bags they give me in HoT? There seems to be a million little things that people have figured out over the years but I have no clue about, like that weekly bandit key I saw someone mention a few pages ago.

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

Anyone have some advice for a thief wanting to raid? It's hard to find builds among all the people losing their minds about how much we apparently suck in other forums.

I guess I should get some kind of condition build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Right now I think the meta thief build is to roll another class.

I know that's unhelpful but I'm one of those people who find thief to be kinda bad compared to other classes post-xpac. I mean I still use it sometimes because it's got my only set of ascended for fractals but yea, way more into Rev in HoT. If I ever get ascended heavy, I don't think I'll go back.

To be somewhat more helpful, psure the ideal thief build is still Power (Zerker), using Deadly Arts, Crit Strikes, and choice of Daredevil or Trickery.

Yeah, I kinda agree with you. Been pretty demoralizing to come back to the game when thief is my favourite (and only) class. I just haven't been able to level anything else to 80 yet. I'm thinking less meta and just something that can work decently enough so I guess I'll stick with what I'm already doing then.

• Locked thread