Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/06/university-of-pennsylvania-prof-anthea-butler-called-dr-ben-carson-a-coon/

quote:

Dr. Ben Carson deserves a “‘coon of the year’ award,” says a tweet from Anthea Butler, a University of Pennsylvania religious-studies professor and a frequent MSNBC guest.

Butler’s revealing invective was in response to a tweet from Daily Beasteditor-at-large Goldie Taylor. That tweet highlighted a Sports Illustrated article in which Carson championed Americans’ right to fly flags — including the Confederate flag — that other Americans see as a symbol of hate.

Bulter, whose Twitter account is locked, apparently deleted the tweet attacking Dr. Carson. But not before someone captured a screen grab of it:

The Urban Dictionary website defines “coon” as a “Insulting term for a black person.” The site treats the insult as similar to other words that are rarely published outside rap lyrics.

What do you think, Gbs? Is "coon" an okay thing to call someone or is it on the same level as the N word? Should Confederate flags be legal, or are they "for the coons"? Who is your pick for "coon of the year"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

I think it's much too early in the year to definitively give that accolade out

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
you PC brah?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Thread has nothing to do with Sly Cooper

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
It's an acceptable term for a black person in 1930's Alabama so I am not sure what all the fuss is here.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
E: quote is not edit

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Hmm, yes, Urban Dictionary

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
Who is The Coon?

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Sorry, I only pay attention to the annual Sambo award.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Thread has nothing to do with Sly Cooper

What about Ranger Rick?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Give Pat a Job posted:

Sorry, I only pay attention to the annual Sambo award.

I prefer The Woggys

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
"Im pretty chill but man I dont think a professor at a university should be the kind of person who says Coon of the Year - oh wait, professor of religious studies? lmao, maybe he'll get a raise"

-my brain

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Actual coon of the year:

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
https://youtu.be/BMchvKOAkDo

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Coon seems kind of a weak racially slur.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Actually clicked the article and she's black so she can say whatever she wants, right?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

String Beans posted:

Coon seems kind of a weak racially slur.

How many of those do you think would be about equal to one N word

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
breitbart.com/big-government lmao

and they cite urban dictionary for the definition of coon, lol

i am pretty sure black people can call other black people coons

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

ashgromnies posted:

In my experience they generally do just that. Uncle Tom is also a popular term for any black person that goes off the reservation as well... at least for the black folks in my fam.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

a bay posted:

How many of those do you think would be about equal to one N word

5.8 Coons = 1 N word

I might be kind of desensitized because I come from a town called Coon Rapids. We had to keep our town logo a raccoon.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
My nomination

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

DirtyMick posted:

In my experience they generally do just that. Uncle Tom is also a popular term for any black person that goes off the reservation as well... at least for the black folks in my fam.

well according to the breitbart comments section, your family proves blacks are more racist than whites

checkmate, coons

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I dont think you should use that word. Even if you dont like a person because of their politics, you should criticize those using logic, not mean words that hurt.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

ashgromnies posted:

breitbart.com/big-government lmao

and they cite urban dictionary for the definition of coon, lol

It seems like a funny thing to call someone for saying the Confederant flag isnt hate speech. What about Asians

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

coonfederate fag

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

ashgromnies posted:

well according to the breitbart comments section, your family proves blacks are more racist than whites

checkmate, coons

I dunno, I'm gonna say the Irish side has them beat by a tad bit. For instance, there was the one time that my grandfathers drunk neighbor Marvin helped himself to my fathers 30' ladder and put it up against a telephone pole and climbed up. My grandfather went out on his front porch and said to his friend quite inquisitively, "Marvin, what the gently caress are you doing?" to which Marvin replied, "I'm getting free cable Arthur, do you want cable?". Well my grandfather decided to offer some advice in the form of, "Get down off that ladder and put it back in my yard before the cops arrest you, you loving jungle bunny!"

The old slurs really were the best, wouldn't you say?

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

a bay posted:

What about Asians

There's only one Asian under God

but he's got liberty and justice for all.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
'coon' is actually worse than 'friend of the family'

at least blacks decided to own the latter

ashgromnies posted:

wrong. used like an insult on a similar level as 'chimp' or 'uncle tom' or whatever

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 7, 2015

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i vote for bret the hitman heart

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
even if he doesn't post anymore, i still think that lowtax is the goon of the year

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

even if he doesn't post anymore, i still think that lowtax is the goon of the year
uh

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ninotoreS posted:

'coon' is actually worse than 'friend of the family'

at least blacks decided to own the latter

wrong. used like an insult on a similar level as 'chimp' or 'uncle tom' or whatever

i am pretty sure black people can call other black people uncle tom

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

people who fly the confederate flag would make a law saying no one could criticize them for doing it. they are the most sensitive loving people on the planet.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ninotoreS posted:

Lol at whitey McGoon here deciding what blacks can say. I guess those dumb noble savages need the firm hand of pc man to help them be less racist.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Why in the blue blazes would you cite Urban Dictionary?? Why?????

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

notZaar posted:

Why in the blue blazes would you cite Urban Dictionary?? Why?????

Top Definition

blue blazes
an imaginary place somewhere on earth that is said to be excruciatingly hot. invented by old people.
grandma: my goodness, its hotter than blue blazes in here!
me: where is blue blazes?
grandma: i don't know, but i'm guessing its somewhere hot.
by brett69xxx September 23, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

i am pretty sure black people can call other black people uncle tom

I guess "twofer" never caught on

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002