Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i may be getting hosed in the rear end, but hell, they were honest about it. in my long career of being hosed in the rear end like the submissive masochist sissy i am, i am refreshed by the honesty and its enough for me. they told me "we're going to give you a pink sock in six months" and they delivered. I had to teach the new guy how to best take this big poz dick now that im all used up but i think it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Carly was way too busy hiring private investigators to harrass reporters and anyone else that badmouthed the company, she had very little time for anything else

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hemophilia posted:

i may be getting hosed in the rear end, but hell, they were honest about it. in my long career of being hosed in the rear end like the submissive masochist sissy i am, i am refreshed by the honesty and its enough for me. they told me "we're going to give you a pink sock in six months" and they delivered. I had to teach the new guy how to best take this big poz dick now that im all used up but i think it was worth it.

haha yes I guess I could have brought my many guns to work and killed everyone to show my ire :iamafag:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

haha yes I guess I could have brought my many guns to work and killed everyone to show my ire :iamafag:

its weird you jumped to that extreme and its really weird you would take out top-down economic violence from your superiors out on your peers

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Management was fully aware that would be going on and they told us up front "We're aware the quality will be lower, they're that much cheaper than you." Pretty much in those words, it was honestly a bit of fresh air. And see even now I'm reluctant to name names as far as the particular company HP

Carly Fiorina 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hemophilia posted:

in a lot of cases they arent saving money just trying to punish the american working class while realizing their galt delusions

On a similar note, did you know that 90% of murders are done by people who just loving hate humanity?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moridin920 posted:

What's your point? Education sucks and job training sucks so you're basically telling people living paycheck to paycheck grinding minimum wage to somehow afford college or find a nonexistent job training program.

Plus everything loving requires 2-4 years experience. I was just looking at finance jobs in SD and they're all '2-4 years experience required.' Well great, so where are the entry level jobs for people that just graduated?

I'm sure there's plenty of hard working intelligent people out there that can fill those jobs with a little training or help but it isn't forthcoming.

whenever you hear some CEO or something start whining about how they can't find skilled workers, they're lying. there's all sorts of skilled labor out there but they don't want to invest time into training them and everyone who has experience knows they're a hot commodity (since nobody wants to train anyone) and refuse to work for the peanuts that said business is offering

eat the rich is what i'm saying here

"we can't find anyone to fill these jobs!*"

* - for the lovely wages, hours, and benefits that we're offering

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Heh, when I applied for a Junior QA engineer internship, the only requirement was willing to learn. They had a preferred section of some tech skills. The interview was more intense compared to a previous c# developer internship interview.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Carly was way too busy hiring private investigators to harrass reporters and anyone else that badmouthed the company, she had very little time for anything else

she was also too busy giving herself raises for doing such a good job

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

carly is someone everyone can relate with because everyone's known a sociopathic small business owner that destroys their own company entirely out of greed

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

corpuscollossus posted:

You asked to explain unemployment numbers and the pool of great jobs out there. Both exist and its a catch-22. Its a problem in my department (not in the US). We're looking for mid-level industrial designers, 3D artists and technical writers. The truly competent people we've looked at are out of budget, and several of the candidates with potential we've bought in have either failed horribly or moved on pretty quickly when they're head hunted.

At the heart of it is the cost of getting the wrong person. Even though we lose money by having the vacancy, it costs way more to get a mong and then try and get rid of him. It doesn't help me to hear that a graduate is a fast learner or somewhat similar experience. Its your problem you're not qualified. Come back when you are.

Tech job I'm guessing? If you're offering bottom of the barrel wages you're going to get bottom of the barrel candidates or maybe foreigners at best. Every once in a while i feel like getting back into IT then I lol at all the predatory tier jobs offering barely 40k/yr demanding a degree with a million certs and 5 years minimum experience at a non entry level job.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Business Gorillas posted:

whenever you hear some CEO or something start whining about how they can't find skilled workers, they're lying. there's all sorts of skilled labor out there but they don't want to invest time into training them and everyone who has experience knows they're a hot commodity (since nobody wants to train anyone) and refuse to work for the peanuts that said business is offering

eat the rich is what i'm saying here

"we can't find anyone to fill these jobs!*"

* - for the lovely wages, hours, and benefits that we're offering

The true trick is get involved in small scale businesses and start-ups then when they inevitably fail, you apply to bigger companies and jobs.

It is the secret way.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Athropos posted:

im pretty close to either going back to school to get a loving certificate to be a shitlord welder earning more than someone with a masters degree or just start selling insurance or some poo poo

Unironically a more sound decision than going to college in tyool 2015. Cheap enough to get by on a part time job with low to no debt and guaranteed work that pays well. I know diving welders who clear $200-300k/yr take home and don't even work most of the year. Would be doing that if I didn't have inner ear problems.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hemophilia posted:

its weird you jumped to that extreme and its really weird you would take out top-down economic violence from your superiors out on your peers

and that is totally different from what you did yes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

and that is totally different from what you did yes

What did I do, or what do you think I did that's comparable?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The point is to figure out how to become rich yourself and exploit the little people

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

TEAH SYAG posted:

The point is to figure out how to become rich yourself and exploit the little people

You got that backwards mang

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 9, 2015

dieheart
Sep 25, 2015
Working a job <$12 out of nessecity in adulthood is the lowest feeling. People wish that "im just glad im employed and so should you" attitude are so brainwashed

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Coworkers were discussing how good they have it as someone was talking about unemployed day laborers paid 20 bucks for an entire day of picking up ball bearings out of the parking lot from a semitruck spill. We were having this conversation as they had us write up a list of our duties so they can just fire us all and have the next wave of losers do it instead.

I was writing mine and its like 90% "other tasks as needed." Help me learn how to lie better.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
buy and sell amiibos

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

corpuscollossus posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/07/news/economy/us-economy-job-skills-gap/

There's a glut of people getting degrees in areas no one needs and skills in niches that are really hard to find people for
Lol at all the job postings wanting secretaries to have degrees. That's loving ridiculous. You don't need a degree to answer phones and schedule appointments.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You don't need it, but you get it because you can.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

At some point the economy got bad enough, or people started taking just the right amount of worthless humanities and lib arts degrees that they found themselves 'over qualified' for the work they could actually get. As they gained senior positions and other equally worthless to society degree holders collected in the greasetrap of unskilled white collar work, they began demanding any potential applicants also have degrees to artificially inflate the value of their job as well as the value of their degree. Which is why Texas instruments wants a degree to work as a grunt in a fabrication unit that hasn't fundamentally changed in 25 years and used to be staffed by unskilled high school graduates and their bosses were still yet high school graduates with skill and experience. The conclusion I ask you to draw is that, as with most things wrong with modern society, womens studies is partly to blame for universal employment problems. Freeze and revoke all liberal arts degrees.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Tech job I'm guessing? If you're offering bottom of the barrel wages you're going to get bottom of the barrel candidates or maybe foreigners at best. Every once in a while i feel like getting back into IT then I lol at all the predatory tier jobs offering barely 40k/yr demanding a degree with a million certs and 5 years minimum experience at a non entry level job.

Lol everyone know tech job postings are a wishlist instead of a "you must have this".

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 9, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hemophilia posted:

What did I do, or what do you think I did that's comparable?

made a dumb hyperbolic statement that went to a weird extreme

seriously what do you think anyone in that position should do that would have any practical effect on the world? because the entire outsourcing thing is driven by consumers, as much as people blame "the end game of capitalism"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

hemophilia posted:

:qqsay: after taxes and benefits my takehome is a mere 60k a year :qqsay: - a real post itt

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

the entire outsourcing thing is driven by consumers

lol no it isn't it's driven by some aging whiteboy fuckheads that know if they get literal children in the third world to do the work then they can get a new yacht for christmas instead of waiting until next summer

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

hemophilia posted:

:qqsay: after taxes and benefits my takehome is a mere 60k a year :qqsay: - a real post itt

It's tough out there

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

dogstile posted:

Sounds like someone isn't likeable enough to get promoted.

sounds like someone is a trust fund babby

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol no it isn't it's driven by some aging whiteboy fuckheads that know if they get literal children in the third world to do the work then they can get a new yacht for christmas instead of waiting until next summer

Yeah but now that the literal children in the third world are actually producing, companies that don't use them simply cannot compete price wise, and to the great majority of consumers that is really all that matters. :shrug:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Flesh Forge posted:

because the entire outsourcing thing is driven by consumers, as much as people blame "the end game of capitalism"

Who said comedy was dead on these forums?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lol at the people blaming everyone but the ruling class that actually makes decisions about pay and qualifications

Keep sticking up for those millionaires maybe one day they'll hear you and give you some money

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

radiatinglines posted:

Lol at the people blaming everyone but the ruling class that actually makes decisions about pay and qualifications

Keep sticking up for those millionaires maybe one day they'll hear you and give you some money

How can we express both a healthy hatred for them as well as our total and utter hatred of ourselves and especially our fellow posters when it comes to belittling each other about our failures in life? Seems like topic drift.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nauta posted:

sounds like someone is a trust fund babby

Swing and a miss, worked my way up motherfucker.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

No of course they make these decisions, but if you think consumers are not enthusiastic and very willing participants and in the end, the ones paying for all of it and making sure labor costs tend towards zero, you're dreaming :shrug:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

Moon Atari do you work in labor management? I'm a union organizer so I'm kind of your enemy, hah but I'd be really interested to hear about what you do.

I'm an IO psych, I work consultancy under a bunch of different job titles and for a bunch of different purposes, which has at times included helping to convince employees to endorse their own exploitation. I'm not proud of it, I was just starting out and desperate to not to be one of the many who go into a load of debt to do a psych degree they will never be able to pay off, as I spent enough time as a minwager to understand how truly hosed I would be if that happened.

Now I'm not so desperate I pretty much only take projects that have mutual benefit for all stakeholders, which is often actually the only real way to go about successfully implementing change. So most of what I do is about trying to convince the same executive that hired me that they'll only harm their goal if they try to achieve it by screwing their employees.

My opinion on unions are complicated though. My political convictions are as far to the left as you can go when it comes to economic policy, so I'm predispositioned to support unions. But then in practice unions often act dumb as poo poo and are more responsible for the declining state of worker's rights than the employer. I don't mean the usual argument about asking for so much that the business can't afford to run, I'm talking about having zero understanding of what they even want to achieve beyond a slogan. Also key leaders seemingly not having the ability to communicate on any topic with any person without acting like it's a bitter argument between two diametrically opposed positions, even when their 'opponent' is actually agreeing with them completely. Like their best friend could say something like “weather sure is nice today“ and it would somehow turn into a fistfight. I guess you could say I'm not anti-union, I just wish they were good at what they did. Still, it's more of a 'can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em' sort of thing as without them we'd be screwed big time.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
livin

livin the hi life

gettin the by life

not gonna try life

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
don't feed dogstile he is a gigantic stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

one of the most valuable things my parents taught me is to treat every job like your life depends on it. (and if you think about it, it really does) this is how you get ahead. the bar is really low to get promotions out of minimum wage - show up on time, be polite and civil, don't start arguments or drama, and do your work. you will get a promotion within 6 months, guaranteed. probs sooner. (and i know this from vats of personal experience)

in my experience it doesnt matter and you'll still get treated like dogshit except maybe you'll get a 7 cent raise. ballin on 7.32 an hour after 6 months right?

might as well barely do enough work to get a reputation for not being a retard and always show up to work stoned

you gotta skirt the line between 'good employee' and 'manager material' cause if you're the later you're hosed mate. and lemmie tell you the bar for manager material is low. very low.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 9, 2015

• Locked thread