Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
you can pick a loving cool as poo poo surfer dude and pour pepsi on a plant and get a lawnmower and oh my god. what a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah it was p good.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
eh, there have been better

i'd say that the first monkey island is the greatest game of all time

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Any of you guys ever played a game called Two Worlds? Might wanna check it out if you're looking for the ebst game ever.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

*reaches for film development fluid*

*destroys that poo poo*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really liked Day of the Tentacle.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Did you put the hamster in the microwave?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yes

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
http://www.myabandonware.com/game/maniac-mansion-1tb

Enjoy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i prefer Teen Agent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgrr3FD1fTA

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
There was a maniac mansion TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njj-t-WNdag

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Al Borland posted:

youve gotta be kidding me

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really liked Day of the Tentacle.

See, this is why i never wash my car.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maniac Magee greatest book of all time.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nein!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vJioAZ1oIY

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
yeah it super fun slowly walking abck and foorth across screens and trying random item combonations untl accidentally finding the right one

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maniac Mansion is pretty incredible and I'm surprised there haven't been more, for lack of a better term, open world adventure games like it. It's all about figuring out the different quirks in the mansion and there are several different endings, with the steps required for some of them being only accessible via certain kids' unique special abilities. The game strikes a good balance between making death plausible without being too much of an rear end in a top hat about it, with most deaths being closer to easter eggs than Sierra-level gently caress yous.

And one of the programmers spent quite a while ensuring the microwave mechanics were realistic.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Maniac Magee greatest book of all time.

whoa i forgot about that book, i remember liking that a ton in 5th grade or something like that

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

a starwar betamax posted:

yeah it super fun slowly walking abck and foorth across screens and trying random item combonations untl accidentally finding the right one

sorry about your retarded brain starwars

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

whoa i forgot about that book, i remember liking that a ton in 5th grade or something like that
It's really good. Jerry Spinelli's a good YA writer, and Maniac Magee is his best book.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Al Borland posted:

You monster!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sam and Max ftmfw

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

KERNER

YOU FOOL

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If you didn't take the nerd, the surfer and the hot punk rock chick, you were loving up

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

If you didn't take the nerd, the surfer and the hot punk rock chick, you were loving up

Actually if you managed that you were literally loving up, since the game specifically doesn't let you do that. One of the kids must be Dave since he's Sandy's boyfriend, so you can only pick two of those three. If you don't pick Bernard (the nerd of later Day of the Tentacle fame) you can get stuck if you don't get the stamps. Maybe you can get stuck regardless if you gently caress up with the dimes and the telescope? I'm not actually sure.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

a starwar betamax posted:

Don't be a tuna head

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kevyn posted:

Don't be a tuna head

> Use tuna on head

> Use THE tuna on THE head:ovr:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Booblord Zagats posted:

I think I always took dave bernard and the black guy to do the meteor record contract ending. I could never figure out how to beat it any other ways

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Grim Fandango > Maniac Mansion, imo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Beneath a Steel Sky will always be my fav

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
so this is where all the GOG nerds hang out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i never played

does it hold up well

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
I liked that you could send pointless recordings to the publisher and watch their reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRol0O9CzvM&t=247s

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think I always took dave bernard and the black guy to do the meteor record contract ending. I could never figure out how to beat it any other ways

Your options for dealing with the meteor are the manuscript ending which requires Michael (the record contract is with green tentacle and is for getting past purple tentacle earlier), the meteor being arrested by the space police which requires Bernard, and the fallback ending if those aren't an option is shoving the meteor into the trunk of the Weird Edsel and starting the vehicle. You have to make sure whichever kid you send in has the key for it, though, and that you didn't accidentally set its rockets off earlier in which case you're starting the game all over again.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
The best way to beat Maniac Mansion is to help the green tentacle get his demo tape to a record label, allowing him to rock out in a weird mutant band.
Not because it's easier than some of the others, it just has the coolest thematic fit.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I just remember feeding the tentacle some wax fruit, what a dumbass.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Full Throttle master-race reporting in.

Edit: Being honest with myself, Day of the Tentacle was probably better but both are great.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

univbee posted:

Actually if you managed that you were literally loving up, since the game specifically doesn't let you do that. One of the kids must be Dave since he's Sandy's boyfriend, so you can only pick two of those three. If you don't pick Bernard (the nerd of later Day of the Tentacle fame) you can get stuck if you don't get the stamps. Maybe you can get stuck regardless if you gently caress up with the dimes and the telescope? I'm not actually sure.

I meant and/or, but yeah, the hot punk chick could get the record ending as well iirc. Surfer dude can get you the dimes and fix the phone as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Crazyeyes posted:

Full Throttle master-race reporting in.

Edit: Being honest with myself, Day of the Tentacle was probably better but both are great.

day of the tentacle was awesome but ultra linear which was a weird step back for a sequel to a game with so many options, particularly a sequel based on time travel

• Locked thread