Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
if you're still buying american brands by now then LOL

seriously why can't we get rid of these protectionist policies so I can finally buy a car entirely made in another country that is both better and cheaper than anything made in the US

if car companies haven't been able to compete since the 80s maybe these companies shouldn't be making cars anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I like American cars I'm pretty sure they're better now than they were in the 80s but lol at American car makers for letting it get so bad that they still can't shake that reputation

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

can't pimp my ride, cause it already too fly

word

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
You can buy a car from another country and pretty much do anything you want if you just believe in yourself!!

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aralan posted:

I like American cars I'm pretty sure they're better now than they were in the 80s but lol at American car makers for letting it get so bad that they still can't shake that reputation

are you really gonna take that risk on something that costs $40k? Besides you already know with the exchange rate you're getting more value for your money anyways

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The same reason people continued to buy PT Cruisers up until they stopped making them. At least 75% of the United States population is functionally retarded.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

ColoradoCleric posted:

are you really gonna take that risk on something that costs $40k? Besides you already know with the exchange rate you're getting more value for your money anyways

I'm not paying 40k for any car are you kidding me. American cars depreciate pretty fast so just buy one used and let their terrible reputation pass the savings on to you

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

ColoradoCleric posted:

seriously why can't we get rid of these protectionist policies so I can finally buy a car entirely made in another country that is both better and cheaper than anything made in the US

if car companies haven't been able to compete since the 80s maybe these companies shouldn't be making cars anymore

because all the other foreign manufacturers do the same thing. and as a nation its a good idea to have a strong manufacturing infrastructure see: ww2

and i would take any current american car over anything from VW, and not because of the most recent thing. VW makes the shittiest cars in the world

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
because if we didn't we'd lose poo poo tons of jobs and manufacturing capacity, idiot

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

because if we didn't we'd lose poo poo tons of jobs and manufacturing capacity, idiot

ya but poo poo would be a lot cheaper idiot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ColoradoCleric posted:

how would poo poo magically get cheaper if thousands of people were out of work? what are you talking about?

if anything foreign car prices would go up bc now they don't have to compete with a domestic manufacturer/company

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

ColoradoCleric posted:

i fear you may have no idea what youre loving talking about

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:gas:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Anyway we need American cars in case the Japanese don't fully automate their factories before their populace is done aging into retirement/killing themselves

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

we need to reduce the amount of carbon emissions in the atmosphere though, especially from automobiles

don't gas the thread

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ColoradoCleric posted:

Yes OP I think we should send more jobs overseas we have an abundance here so we can afford to give away an entire industry. Beyond that buying imported goods makes it much more difficult to make sure your supply chain is entirely ethical, in 2015 that doesn't really matter because manufacturing almost anything is already spread out all over the world but in an ideal world you'd be able to buy an american thing and be sure that everyone that was involved in making it was fairly compensated and had safe working conditions.

Basically what I'm saying is you can't expect people not to be selfish shits like the Op so it's the gov's imperative to make it so foreign competition can't just undercut us by making the world a worse place.

e: also foreign cars being better than US stuff is a pretty outdated myth, us brands have been performing comparatively well or better (depending on type of car) for a while now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The US department of energy subsidized Tesla.

Thanks Obama!

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

symbolic posted:

we need to reduce the amount of carbon emissions in the atmosphere though, especially from automobiles

don't gas the thread

electrocute the OP

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Yes OP I think we should send more jobs overseas we have an abundance here so we can afford to give away an entire industry. Beyond that buying imported goods makes it much more difficult to make sure your supply chain is entirely ethical, in 2015 that doesn't really matter because manufacturing almost anything is already spread out all over the world but in an ideal world you'd be able to buy an american thing and be sure that everyone that was involved in making it was fairly compensated and had safe working conditions.

Basically what I'm saying is you can't expect people not to be selfish shits like the Op so it's the gov's imperative to make it so foreign competition can't just undercut us by making the world a worse place.

e: also foreign cars being better than US stuff is a pretty outdated myth, us brands have been performing comparatively well or better (depending on type of car) for a while now.

Yeah Ford is doing p well. Even during the auto crisis they didn't need a bailout and they're the only domestic car company to have actually increased sales (albeit slightly) during that whole debacle.

etalian posted:

The US department of energy subsidized Tesla.

Thanks Obama!

Good.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

poopzilla posted:

electrocute the OP
yes this is fine

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah Ford is doing p well. Even during the auto crisis they didn't need a bailout and they're the only domestic car company to have actually increased sales (albeit slightly) during that whole debacle.

I drive an 06 v6 ranger that I picked up for ~8k cash off a gov auction, absolutely love the thing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The success of Tesla and other Elon Musk companies had a good amount to due with how the companies collected billions of dollars in government help over the years.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
i kind of like the chrysler 200/300

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

etalian posted:

The success of Tesla and other Elon Musk companies had a good amount to due with how the companies collected billions of dollars in government help over the years.

Good, isn't that the point of those subsidies

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Because theres a school of economic thought that says only stupid bitch loser countries import and consume foreign commodities and alpha buck countries do manufacturing and export sustained through protectionism. and back in the day everything was made in the usa but now its china oops. Welp cya

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Good?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
like anything else, whether a car is good or not is entirely a case by case basis. the american car industry has made monumental strides in the last 10 years, however, its not much to be proud of either. caring about a brand or country of origin above all else, especially making any kind of important decisions based on these facts, is insane lazy and retarded. regardless i think the OP is gay and so am I and we should touch wieners

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

etalian posted:

Good.

and we need to do the same thing with solar panels

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Aren't modern American cars actually 91% foreign-made parts, and just assembled here?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

Aren't modern American cars actually 91% foreign-made parts, and just assembled here?

No actually I manufacture all of them, your welcome

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Flesh Forge posted:

it depends on the car. literally cannot make blanket statements about this, its impossible. the cars that are 91% foreign are cars that are just rebranded. others are far more domestic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

It's more like 62%

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
National pride :911:

They might suck sometimes, but we can't admit that to some stinky foreigners

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Because American auto manufacturers hire lobbyists to give congress really good blowjobs.

The lobbyists that the Japanese and German auto manufacturers hire just can't compare.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arian_Samurai posted:

Because American auto manufacturers hire lobbyists to give congress really good blowjobs.

The lobbyists that the Japanese and German auto manufacturers hire just can't compare.

maybe japanese lobbyists just need to take congressmen to soap land ?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
atleast american cars aren't as lovely as french ones

have you seen those things? They are worse than fiats jfc

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

it depends on the car. literally cannot make blanket statements about this, its impossible. the cars that are 91% foreign are cars that are just rebranded. others are far more domestic.

Not trying to nail down a specific percentage, the point was that American cars aren't actually all that American and most of the manufacturing involved is assembling foreign-made parts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Not trying to nail down a specific percentage, the point was that American cars aren't actually all that American and most of the manufacturing involved is assembling foreign-made parts.

Also thanks to NAFTA US carmakers could open assembly plants in mexico, with the only requirement that the cars use 62% american parts.

As result both the US electronics and auto manufacturing moved to mexico.

thanks bill clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Flesh Forge posted:

i was just being a dick but yes you're right welcome to America and end game of capitalism. the only hope we have is china becomes #1, so that we do all their work

• Locked thread