Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Would you rather we start charging a VAT on imported cars?? Either way it's coming out if your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

notZaar posted:

Would you rather we start charging a VAT on imported cars?? Either way it's coming out if your pocket.

this worked for korea, and now we have actually good korean cars in an extremely short amount of time... but no, I would not, since the core problem far overshadows that bandaid

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah Ford is doing p well. Even during the auto crisis they didn't need a bailout and they're the only domestic car company to have actually increased sales (albeit slightly) during that whole debacle.

Good.

Only because they were in trouble prior to the recession. They saw the way things were headed, tightened the belt a lot, and mortgaged a bunch of stuff, including the literal Ford blue oval logo. I'm still waiting for an explanation on how that works.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I say we starting charging import fees on smartphone and graphic cards. Hit the economy where it hurts. Drag manufacturing clawing and sobbing back to the states, even if nobody will buy our poo poo anymore.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

notZaar posted:

I say we starting charging import fees on smartphone and graphic cards. Hit the economy where it hurts. Drag manufacturing clawing and sobbing back to the states, even if nobody will buy our poo poo anymore.

if we charged VAT wouldnt that just be... a sales tax :v:

ok hwo about we ban sales taxes on domestic products but allow states to VAT everything else

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

ArbitraryC posted:

e: also foreign cars being better than US stuff is a pretty outdated myth, us brands have been performing comparatively well or better (depending on type of car) for a while now.

yes after 3 decades of being shielded/getting free money from the gov, they're almost on par with foreign cars. what a loving racket.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

poopzilla posted:

because all the other foreign manufacturers do the same thing. and as a nation its a good idea to have a strong manufacturing infrastructure see: ww2

and i would take any current american car over anything from VW, and not because of the most recent thing. VW makes the shittiest cars in the world

Source your quotes please.

VW is THE largest auto maker in the world right now. Explain that if they make the shittiest cars in the world. That title clearly goes to Chrysler.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

if we charged VAT wouldnt that just be... a sales tax :v:

ok hwo about we ban sales taxes on domestic products but allow states to VAT everything else

because that would cause a race to the bottom where all the red states would refuse to VAT anything and would get extra medieval on worker's rights and pay in an effort to steal whatever manufacturing jobs they can from blue states.

We need import tariffs levied by the federal government that are designed to make our manufacturing industry competitive for our own market with foreign manufacturers like every other civilized country has, but that can't happen here because like 100 super-wealthy people would make slightly less income.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

veedubfreak posted:

That title clearly goes to Chrysler.

explain the Hellcat

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
tbh most automakers are poo poo

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

City of Tampa posted:

explain the Hellcat

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occassion.

Broken clock is right twice a day.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

why is everyone assuming that its just american auto makers that get subsidies?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

City of Tampa posted:

because that would cause a race to the bottom where all the red states would refuse to VAT anything and would get extra medieval on worker's rights and pay in an effort to steal whatever manufacturing jobs they can from blue states.

We need import tariffs levied by the federal government that are designed to make our manufacturing industry competitive for our own market with foreign manufacturers like every other civilized country has, but that can't happen here because like 100 super-wealthy people would make slightly less income.

i dont understand money :(

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Because people need jobs or else they will riot, but the problem in America is that workers are very expensive, but functionally retarded. So the government needs to subsidize their job, until they're old enough to retire, where the government just gives up trying to give them a job and just mails them a check

This is capitalism

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
American cars (GM, Ford, Chrysler) are basically having a renaissance right now and are cooler and better made and more competitive in quality with foreign cars than at any point in the last 45 years.

poo poo, even Tesla is American and they are the first successful and completely new car manufacturing company to be started in how long? has to be 50+ years

cars are some of the only things we make that we really can call world-class and that people overseas want to buy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

City of Tampa posted:

explain the Hellcat

Most powerful V-8 ever in a 4500 pound brick-shaped object, seems like they learned a lot from the 70's up in Auburn Hills.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

City of Tampa posted:

poo poo, even Tesla is American and they are the first successful and completely new car manufacturing company to be started in how long? has to be 50+ years

lol you don't know much about cars

And your definition of success is making $0 profit

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Neptr posted:

Because people need jobs or else they will riot, but the problem in America is that workers are very expensive, but functionally retarded. So the government needs to subsidize their job, until they're old enough to retire, where the government just gives up trying to give them a job and just mails them a check

This is capitalism

Americans are the most productive workers on Earth, we never receive any of the benefits from our increasing productivity (and haven't for decades), and we don't even care. So maybe we really are retarded.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Neptr posted:

he is rigvht about domestics being better then they have in decades. ford especially is extremely competitive on quality now. fusion, f-150, fiesta, and focus are all good vehicles.

jeep grand cherokee, dodge impala, chrysler 300 are all good vehicles as well

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

City of Tampa posted:

Americans are the most productive workers on Earth, we never receive any of the benefits from our increasing productivity (and haven't for decades), and we don't even care. So maybe we really are retarded.

Wow I must be bringing the average way down, I spend 8 hours posting and reading twitter on my phone.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Neptr posted:

This is capitalism

This is especially true when it comes to the UAW.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Source your quotes please.

VW is THE largest auto maker in the world right now. Explain that if they make the shittiest cars in the world. That title clearly goes to Chrysler.

im aware of how large VW is, that doesnt make their cars good. theyre cheap slapped together poo poo, engineered down to the penny to make them as cheap as possible . everyone i know who has had one eventually hated it because everything broke and was expensive as poo poo to fix

e: cheap to BUILD not buy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

City of Tampa posted:

American cars (GM, Ford, Chrysler) are basically having a renaissance right now and are cooler and better made and more competitive in quality with foreign cars than at any point in the last 45 years.

cars are some of the only things we make that we really can call world-class and that people overseas want to buy

As a Ford engineer, I vehemently disagree. A large portion of our 'improvements' are playing catch-up to the Japanese manufacturers. Hell, our entire hybrid lineup is based off copying and improving the Prius driveline. Variety is down to control quality, hell, Lincoln used to mean "gently caress you, got mine" and now it's just sad plastic marauding as luxury. Process improvements and 'green' manufacturing are way up though, I'll give Ford/GM props for that.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

The Groper posted:

Most powerful V-8 ever in a 4500 pound brick-shaped object, seems like they learned a lot from the 70's up in Auburn Hills.

how much do you want a modern car to weigh? The hellcat isn't some faggy lotus or whatever you expect it to be but holy poo poo is it a cool car. I've been waiting my whole life for American car companies to finally start making RWD cars with V8s again that aren't grandma cars and I'm grateful that they are finally doing it.

A major car company is making a loving 750hp car with RWD and a factory warranty, that normal people can afford and you gotta be all like "it's too heavy" lol

Neptr posted:

they still exist, their cars are great, and most people with skin in the game seem to be confident that they will make a profit.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

City of Tampa posted:

The only reason we are so productive is because we have very high levels of technology, and you don't pay workers more just because some drooling idiot pushes the 'Cycle Start' button and a part comes out 10 times faster than it would have 20 years ago

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Groper posted:

As a Ford engineer, I vehemently disagree. A large portion of our 'improvements' are playing catch-up to the Japanese manufacturers. Hell, our entire hybrid lineup is based off copying and improving the Prius driveline. Variety is down to control quality, hell, Lincoln used to mean "gently caress you, got mine" and now it's just sad plastic marauding as luxury. Process improvements and 'green' manufacturing are way up though, I'll give Ford/GM props for that.

sup WIPS/WERS buddy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neptr posted:

The only reason we are so productive is because we have very high levels of technology, and you don't pay workers more just because some drooling idiot pushes the 'Cycle Start' button and a part comes out 10 times faster than it would have 20 years ago

nah you just collect the extra profit from the increased productivity even though you also are not doing anything more to deserve it and that way your workers can get their purchasing power edged out so no one can afford your products then you just give them all credit and then

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

City of Tampa posted:

how much do you want a modern car to weigh? The hellcat isn't some faggy lotus or whatever you expect it to be but holy poo poo is it a cool car. I've been waiting my whole life for American car companies to finally start making RWD cars with V8s again that aren't grandma cars and I'm grateful that they are finally doing it.

A major car company is making a loving 750hp car with RWD and a factory warranty, that normal people can afford and you gotta be all like "it's too heavy" lol

It's a dumbfuck idea that's going to hurt their CAFE averages in order to capitalize on people glued to a past where gas was cheap forever. Hybrids are the future, Chrysler is waaaay behind on them, hence the attempts to merge with GM.

E: BTW, I say this as someone who also misses the V8 coupe era. I baby my v8 98 mark VIII to this day, and begged a Lincoln exec to bring them back. It's just not the reality of the industry anymore.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 8, 2015

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

The Groper posted:

lol hybrids, hell yeah copy that poo poo who cares when we are talking about a driving appliance. I'm OK with buying a cheaper Ford copy of a Prius if that's the best way to do it.

I'm just talking in general, if you compare any Ford or Chevy interior with the same models from ten years ago there is a huge improvement in quality. Same with exterior appearance and drivetrain; not that long ago it seemed like 80% of american cars were jelly-bean shaped FWD V-6s with like 110 hp. Now all of the American companies have several sexy cars in their lineups, and even the entry-level cars usually look decent and have decent specs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Groper posted:

It's a dumbfuck idea that's going to hurt their CAFE averages in order to capitalize on people glued to a past where gas was cheap forever. Hybrids are the future, Chrysler is waaaay behind on them, hence the attempts to merge with GM.

my chrysler engineer buddy had a story about recently doing a teardown of a ford car and saying "do you all feel like we are playing a different game?" and everyone just nervously laughing

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

nah you just collect the extra profit from the increased productivity even though you also are not doing anything more to deserve it and that way your workers can get their purchasing power edged out so no one can afford your products then you just give them all credit and then

Well you deserve the extra profit because you spent money on new tech, but hey if you start the revolution I'll join the vanguard party with you comrade

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poopzilla posted:

everyone i know who has had one eventually hated it because everything broke and was expensive as poo poo to fix

this but for my audis

Neptr posted:

Well you deserve the extra profit because you spent money on new tech, but hey if you start the revolution I'll join the vanguard party with you comrade

money that wasn't yours to begin with; it was the company's. I get what you're saying about investment incentive but as long as there is profit to be made someone will invest. The notion that rich people are gonna take their ball and go home because they won't be making obscene amounts of money is dumb.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Groper posted:

Whoa there buddy we're gonna have to vet you here first. What are you engineering exactly? Motors? Wiring bundles? Transmissions?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neptr posted:

profit belongs to the workers not the people who risked their capital

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

notZaar posted:

Whoa there buddy we're gonna have to vet you here first. What are you engineering exactly? Motors? Wiring bundles? Transmissions?

He's the guy who designs the air conditioner vents

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

my ford focus st will gently caress your shitbox in the rear end

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

i kind of like the chrysler 200/300
dont turn that dial!!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Toyota Camry is the most 'American-made' car available.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/29/cars-made-in-america/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toyota has a really bad recall history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snivell
Sep 9, 2015

watch out, my posts are pretty damn edgy
I ride in the back of the bus.

• Locked thread