Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What cars are even good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Chevrolets are pretty good.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

People who complain about modern North American cars generally know nothing about cars in the first place. They are just as reliable if not more so and cost far less to maintain as any foreign made car. Plus you get to support the north american economy. Speaking of german cars, they are loving absolute garbage considering the price and all the parts are 2-3x any other manufacturers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tarkus posted:

People who complain about modern North American cars generally know nothing about cars in the first place. They are just as reliable if not more so and cost far less to maintain as any foreign made car. Plus you get to support the north american economy. Speaking of german cars, they are loving absolute garbage considering the price and all the parts are 2-3x any other manufacturers.

lmao I guess have you overlook how Toyota builds pile of cars here now, while companies like Ford moved lots of jobs and even basic part manufacturing overseas to Mexico due to lower costs.

Per NAFTA only 62% of the part need to be made in the USA but if you follow the rule you can easily get them assembled in Mexico.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

notZaar posted:

Chevrolets are pretty good.
I have one and hear nothing but poo poo talk about them at work

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

etalian posted:

lmao I guess have you overlook how Toyota builds pile of cars here now, while companies like Ford moved lots of jobs and even basic part manufacturing overseas to Mexico due to lower costs.

Per NAFTA only 62% of the part need to be made in the USA but if you follow the rule you can easily get them assembled in Mexico.

That's true, though with the TPP going through, who knows how things will change in that regard. I'm fairly certain our auto making industry is going to get eviscerated even more.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
im not reading four pages but heres the honest answer to OPs question: corruption

because the american auto industry has impetus, they have enough raw cash to bribe lawmakers to keep giving them free money. it's clear corruption but it's called "subsidy" bc lol politics. other countries probably lol at how politicized our corruption is.

also multiple presidents (reagan, obama) tried to pass bills to simplify tax law (like the UK does: gov sends you a bill. you pay it) but accounting software firms have lobbied heavily against it so it never passes.

also only large multi billion dollar firms can ever bid on military contracts because they have bribed lawmakers to write regulations that smaller, more efficient competitors can never hope to pass.

anyway this is a baldfacedly obvious answer so the only people still reading htis are idiots who are looking for more stuff to get mad at, and desperately don't want to change their minds; and people who feel smug about knowing the Right answer and want some echo chamber poo poo.

im gay & rowdy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

froward posted:

im not reading four pages but heres the honest answer to OPs question: corruption

because the american auto industry has impetus, they have enough raw cash to bribe lawmakers to keep giving them free money. it's clear corruption but it's called "subsidy" bc lol politics. other countries probably lol at how politicized our corruption is.

Similar to the banks, they got massive amounts of bailout money when they hosed up.

At least they make a actual product unlike Wall Street.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jackard posted:

What cars are even good

Whatever car you like, that's the good one.

Follow your heart

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ross Perot was right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7kn2-GEmM

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tarkus posted:

That's true, though with the TPP going through, who knows how things will change in that regard. I'm fairly certain our auto making industry is going to get eviscerated even more.

I don't believe Mexico is part of TPP.

Also, the main reason why all the cars are built here is that cars are very big and hence have large (per unit) shipping costs. That won't change with TPP, even in the paranoid Wikileaks reality that many of the opposition subscribes to

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i only buy 10+ yr old cars made by the Axis Powers.

but American cars have traditionally been the AK-47s of cars, crude but simple and effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_HMIN0nGl0

i voted Perot in my 3rd grade class election.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 12, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

I have one and hear nothing but poo poo talk about them at work

The whole Chevy vs Ford is funny. It's just like if in 50 years people will still be arguing about Android vs Apple, it's that stupid.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

froward posted:

im gay & rowdy

u dumb bro

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
american cars are fine, foreign cars are fine, just buy whatever you like, jesus loving christ, goons

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Subsides are cool and good because it means the populace is still forced to give their money to corporations even if they don't buy any products.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Yaldabaoth posted:

Subsides are cool and good because it means the populace is still forced to give their money to corporations even if they don't buy any products.

Otoh, five ears of corn for a dollar. Let's see communism do a better job of feeding the people than that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BigBoss posted:

People with really strong feelings oh how US cars are so terrible are no different than Apple fans, people who take Xbox vs PlayStation seriously, or audiophiles.

but i use apple products and drive an american car what do

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been driving company vehicles for about 15 years now. All cared for the same, with piles and piles of miles put on them. The American cars barely last beyond 100k miles before poo poo starts going left and right and leaves you stranded. The Japanese cars make it close to 300k miles with very little issue. The main thing you end up worrying about is rust damaging stuff at that point.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

Otoh, five ears of corn for a dollar. Let's see communism do a better job of feeding the people than that.

Also the job of the government is to gently caress over other countries in favor of your own like that's like half the point of having one in the first place. That's not corruption that's their drat job

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think cars also break down more in the northeast because they salt the roads regularly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Philthy posted:

The American cars barely last beyond 100k miles before poo poo starts going left and right and leaves you stranded.

Same exact experience but with German cars.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

fyodor posted:

but i use apple products and drive an american car what do

Are you weirdly invested in defending your purchase decisions like some sort of giant sperg, or do you take the Digital Underground approach and dowhatchalike?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
American cars are basically pure sex

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Boring answer: It's to keep some
manufacturing ability and knowledge alive in the US so if we ever need to start pumping out tanks and mortar rounds in world war 3 we don't have to start from scratch.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Arkanomen posted:

manufacturing ability and knowledge alive in the US so if we ever need to start pumping out tanks and mortar rounds in world war 3 we don't have to start from scratch.

Lol

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Arkanomen posted:

There's plenty of tanks, hummers, and guns being made in the US besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigBoss posted:

People with really strong feelings oh how US cars are so terrible are no different than Apple fans, people who take Xbox vs PlayStation seriously, or audiophiles.

Funny how the correct answer is japanese cars, playstation, and audio technica headphones

• Locked thread