Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Happy Hollowed Month, Everyone.

I'm Grimwit and this is Bloodlust.

I'm jumping on this game right as it leaves the gate because a. It's October and it's time to be spooky! b. This is the kind of 90's Vampire: the Masquerade, Forever Knight, Blade, Lost Boys that I can revel in. c. I got a lot of stress in my life and I just miss playing games for fun. Istead of these high effort videos and art projects. Figured we'd all have a good time ;earning about this game together.

So, What is Bloodlust?

Retro Vampire RPG with proceduraly generated dungeons. Not a loot fest, per se, but the reviews I read say Bloodlust have a lot of enphesis on exploration. The graphics are second rate, but the music is good and even though it's an indie game made by a one man team (citation needed), it has full voice acting.

Basically, it's an indie labor of love with ambition.

Also, we can spawn our own family of vampires. Why hasn't anyone else thought of this?

How are we going to play this?

Blind. I have no idea what the game is going to throw at me and, in the interest of just relaxing, I'll play as we go. You throw in some ideas yourself, or, Hell, if you want to do your own blind LP, I'll throw it on the OP. Basically, I wanna have fun and take you all along for the ride.

I say in the video that I'll update three times a week for the month of October, but this game is actually fun to play, so I may update more often. Never more than once a day, however.

Spoilers?

Black box that poo poo.

I don't want to know what's going on, but from the looks of it, it wouldn't surprise me. Still, maybe others want to play, too, so be courteous, yo.

To set the record straight, this game is cheeserific. As much as I riff on it and some of the silliness, I love this kind of thing. Makes me wish they still made B-grade vampire flicks from the 90's.

LEt's get into it, yo!

The Spooky Videos!

Part 1: Blood Scarecrow
Part 2: Floating Blood Head
Part 3: Bl-LASER-SPIDER!!!
Part 4: Blood Wall Stuck
Part 5: Blood Nina
Part 6: Blood Passage
Part 7: Blood Buffy
Part 8: Blood Dancers
Part 9: Blood Arena
Part 10: Blood Hank
Part 11: Blood Massage
Part 12: Blood Pawn Shop

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Bunny Guards over the special posts...

The Comic Adventures of Bunny the Vampire Vampire-Hunter

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 19, 2015

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I was surprised to see silver resistance as a stat since it's werewolves who are known for having that weakness. Then I remembered that many cultures consider silver to be a bane against supernatural baddies of all sorts. It's one of the reasons vampires don't have a reflection when they look in a mirror :eng101:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

I was surprised to see silver resistance as a stat since it's werewolves who are known for having that weakness. Then I remembered that many cultures consider silver to be a bane against supernatural baddies of all sorts. It's one of the reasons vampires don't have a reflection when they look in a mirror :eng101:

So much of this game reminds me of old Vampire movies I've seen as a teenager.

Remember First Bite, with George Hamilton as Dracula? The hunter showed up with a gun loaded with silver bullets and shot him to prove he was a vampire. Hamilton sat there and said "You're thinking of werewolves."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've seen this game made fun of in places but, not to give it too much credit yet, it seemed a hell of a lot better than a lot of other low budget 1 man (plus others) releases Steam has these days. I'm at least somewhat interested to see how it turned out.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I picked this up on a lark when RPS mentioned it. It exceeded my expectations, which were zero, and turned out to be a surprisingly fun 3rd person dungeon crawler. The patch schedule this guy maintains is nuts, almost every week. It's like playing Crawl trunk.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

As of now (about to record the 3rd vid) I'm pretty pleased with the game. Yes, it's much better than, say, Crypt Worlds, and drat ambitious for what it is. Near as I can tell, the developer was working on this since '99, but I don't know what tipped me off to that.

Meanwhile, here's Episode 2, with significantly more Bunny cartoons (by which I mean more than 0).

Part 2: Floating Blood Head

Edit:

Sometimes I can't control my hand.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 10, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I remember blood playing an early blood version of this thing. It seems more blood fleshed out, but it was surprisingly OK, all things blood considered.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Here we go.

I'm starting to realize that, even tho this is cheesey as hell, this game is kind of awsome. Maybe the old school goth fashion and the blood-Prefixes are what make it so.

Anyway, here's the next episode.

Part 3: Bl-LASER-SPIDER!!!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huh, unlocking skills based on Clan rep kind of makes sense- if you're a sneaky sort of person, of course your vampire skills would naturally evolve towards being sneaky ones. It certainyl sounds more plausible than 'you were bit by a brainy vampire, therefore you're brainier'.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm pretty sure the babypin is just a safety pin. They're commonly used to secure cloth diapers, after all.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

I'm pretty sure the babypin is just a safety pin. They're commonly used to secure cloth diapers, after all.

Makes me wonder if there are epic level safety pins.

Imagine being blinded by a safety pin bursting with a dark aura. This diaper pin has been known to lay waste cities!

Such darkness!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Grimwit posted:

Makes me wonder if there are epic level safety pins.

Imagine being blinded by a safety pin bursting with a dark aura. This diaper pin has been known to lay waste cities!

Such darkness!

You have found [BLOOD PIN] X 1. Fastener of Fear, Clasper of Chaos, Niched Needle of Nastyness.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bad VA aside this actually looks pretty fun, it really does look like a mid 90s crpg/shooty game. It's giving me some Hunter vibes, if anyone remembers that game.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter:_The_Reckoning_%28video_game%29
At least it's better than that shitshow, Dark.
PS: I like your comics, they're really fun.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Bad VA aside this actually looks pretty fun, it really does look like a mid 90s crpg/shooty game. It's giving me some Hunter vibes, if anyone remembers that game.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter:_The_Reckoning_%28video_game%29
At least it's better than that shitshow, Dark.
PS: I like your comics, they're really fun.

Currently editing episode 4 and, let me tell you, this game is a hidden gem.
For $12, it's so far the poor-man's Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines with hints to a rogue-lite game play.

Did I mention you can sire other vampires?
Yeah, you can sire other vampires.

Why isn't this a thing is other vampire games?

And let us never forget...

Also, Thank you! This game brings out something from my drawing hand.

Edit:

ThaGhettoJew posted:

You have found [BLOOD PIN] X 1. Fastener of Fear, Clasper of Chaos, Niched Needle of Nastyness.
Destroyer of Diapers, terror of lose tailor-cloth, and cancer of the curse crowds in CANADA!

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 13, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

D-d-d-Double Post!

I have been recording one hour at a time (two episodes) and decided to myself not to play anymore until I've edited and posted those episodes.
Honestly, I want to play this game more, so here's the next episode!

Part 4: Blood Wall Stuck

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

I'm pretty sure there was a switch on the floor in the shadowy corner of the room with the little Blood Eye thing tunnel leading to the shard you couldn't get through. Flipping that would have slid a wall so you could grab the shard, and maybe repeat the process.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I genuinely can't tell if I want to buy this game or not. A lot of the menus or mechanics make it seem really (or at least vaguely) interesting, but the gameplay and dialogue makes it seem kind of not, and so little is actually happening.
(Also, it would result in my Steam friends seeing me playing something called Bloodlust: Shadowhunter and I'm not sure I can deal with that)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doopliss posted:

Also, it would result in my Steam friends seeing me playing something called Bloodlust: Shadowhunter and I'm not sure I can deal with that

I thought SomethingAwful was only for people who could legally have credit cards :colbert:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Enjoying the LP so far! The game looks extremely cheesy, but in that lovely 90s/VTM/gothpunk way. I kind of wonder if the creator was in on the joke, or legit thinks this is unironically cool, though.

Either way, seems like a fun, if somewhat unpolished, little game. 'Ssuming it's cheap enough, I might pick it up. Seems surprisingly full of content, even, what with the apparent item socketing and alchemy systems which you haven't even really touched on yet.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Doopliss posted:

I genuinely can't tell if I want to buy this game or not. A lot of the menus or mechanics make it seem really (or at least vaguely) interesting, but the gameplay and dialogue makes it seem kind of not, and so little is actually happening.
(Also, it would result in my Steam friends seeing me playing something called Bloodlust: Shadowhunter and I'm not sure I can deal with that)

1. Buy it. It's $13 bucks and it's fun as hell. Only thing I'll tell you is I've finished recording Episode 6 and found where grind can happen (Looking for silver-nitrate rounds). Looks like I may have to cut boring poo poo out for later episodes, but it's not any worse than, say, Borderlands 1.

2. Having your friends see the game titles is the very REASON you should buy this thing! Find out who your friends REALLY are!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Combo Post!

Got a title card now. Also, Bunny has a daughter? Underling? Minnion? Zombie? You'll see.

Part 5: Blood Nina

Also, Nina.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The minion system actually looks kind of interesting. I wish it was in a better game.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Sindai posted:

The minion system actually looks kind of interesting. I wish it was in a better game.

I contend that any game without Laser Spiders is not a better game. :colbert:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

This episode, Bunny dives into an actual random dungeon. There's thrills, spills, spiders, and really big guys who leave their boots behind.

Part 6: Blood Passage

Also, Nina continues to be completely awesome... if a little high.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I wonder what the guns in this game are like? Better or equal to the crossbow?

Also, your art is awesome. Do you have a gallery or album where I can enjoy more of it?

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Grimwit posted:

Also, Nina continues to be completely awesome... if a little high.
No kidding - even her attacks look like she quite possibly thinks she's covered in spiders. They definitely kill things, though, so... :shrug:

Seconding that your art additions are fantastic. They make this game disturbingly adorable.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Gideon020 posted:

Also, your art is awesome. Do you have a gallery or album where I can enjoy more of it?

I work at a bookstore for money, but my REAL job is a cartoon artist!
Here's my DA account
Here's a link to Scarlet Acres which will be my main comic when I get my act together.
And, of course, Natch Evil dot Com.

Glad people are enjoying the cartoon adventures of Bunny the Vampire Vampire-Hunter.

Here's Bunny vs. Buffy.

And here's the video representation.

Part 7: Blood Buffy

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Welp, we found Zombie Ghosts. I choose to take this as proof that the developer was in on the joke.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Your quest bullets are the wrong type. Someone else must want those. He wants silver, not UV.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's kind of a neat touch that the dungeon tells you how much you've explored, how many containers, and how many secrets are left in a dungeon. At one point I might have said that takes away the exploration but now I'd say it just makes it less frustrating. With that the % of map explored you know there isn't some tiny corner somewhere you haven't seen that is hiding a secret or a chest, you know that everything you can find has been within reach in one way or another.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
This game is pretty surprisingly cool looking. If I had more than 30 bucks in my bank account I'd be buying it...

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Maybe the silver bullets are in a different area of the restaurant you haven't been in?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

This game is pretty surprisingly cool looking. If I had more than 30 bucks in my bank account I'd be buying it...

But... It cost $13 bucks? What's the other $17 for?

Gideon020 posted:

Maybe the silver bullets are in a different area of the restaurant you haven't been in?

Funny you should mention that.

I've decided to completly cut out the grind. I doubt you want to watch me dig around for level upon level, and as I need to go deeper in the Passage (there's like, 100+ levels? Maybe?) it will get more and more boring.

You guys don't deserve to be bored.

Also, I hang my head in shame for forgetting the name of the movie I suggest.
Crucify me upon the tree of woe.

That said, onwards to...

Part 8: Blood Dancers

Edit: Bunny's New Fledgling!
Male or Female!
YOU Make the call!

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 22, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The dungeons all go on forever, as far as I know.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Female

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Female. Forge a group of sassy vampires who don't need no man.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
If UV bullets have a blast radius of 700 meters, does that make the pistol that fires them the grenade launcher of this game?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Find the most euphoric Male there is and cockblock him for eternity :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think its kind of hard to vote when apparently the entire population of those alleyways is already 99% vampires and two humans (Nina, formerly, and that guy you've already tried to bite). Unless you can find another option soon I think you might just have to settle for whoever you comes across.

• Locked thread