Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Boxman posted:

I mean, sorta. He's the protagonist so we get to hear his side of things, which means we also hear about his achievements more than the other characters, but the musical still portrays him as arrogant, disloyal, and prideful to the point where it gets his son killed (surely spoilers aren't necessary for the biography of a founding father?)

Washington gets no flaws, though.

I meant more lionizing Hamilton's financial work and writing. You can't really get rid of his personal flaws, mostly since they comprised most of his personality. And like I said, the source is Chernow, who couldn't bring himself to admit Washington had flaws even as he spelled them all out over hundreds of pages in a biography.

I had a chance to see Dear Evan Hansen last week. It played in Washington last year and just opened for previews in New York. It's pretty amazing, if emotionally draining. I'll be getting the recording as soon as it's out. The lead, Ben Platt, poured his soul into that part.

I got some free tickets to American Psycho next week, but I don't have high hopes. The reviews are very mixed, and what I've heard of the music is...eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Grease OP

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Man, I love Evita. The music with its recurring themes is just phenomenal, and it's got a good, meaty storyline that defies easy analysis. What I love most about it, though, is that it's basically two hours of fairly terrible people laying the sickest of burns on each other, and when it's not being incredibly sad it's funny as hell.

Also, I once played Peron in a community production alongside a hot little tomato with whom I shared fabulous chemistry, and it was fun basically dry-humping one another onstage in front of our friends and neighbors every night.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bimmi posted:

Also, I once played Peron in a community production alongside a hot little tomato with whom I shared fabulous chemistry

showmances are fun

Bimmi posted:

It was fun basically dry-humping one another onstage in front of our friends and neighbors every night.

oh. hm. sure

Practical Demon posted:

I got some free tickets to American Psycho next week, but I don't have high hopes. The reviews are very mixed, and what I've heard of the music is...eh.

i used to really love spring awakening but in the years since have cooled to it. it's fine, but shows like passing strange (i cannot talk that show up enough) blow it out of the water.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Homework Explainer posted:

showmances are fun

I reaped some well-deserved pain out of that one, actually.

e: for real though, our ALW shows always had the best and most devoted party casts. They're hard to sit through sometimes but pretty fun to do.

Bimmi has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Apr 1, 2016

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Relevant to this thread. Lindsay Ellis just posted a 45 minute critique of the '04 Phantom of The Opera movie. A lot of good stuff in here, I think

http://youtu.be/-m5I_5Vnh6A

I remember enjoying this movie enough when it first came out (I even own it) but it really doesn't stand up to repeated viewings in my opinion . I don't know, this movie just could have been so much better. And the Phantom's make-up still pisses me off.

Edit: fixed the link. Also to add that she has a couple of other really good videos on the history of Phantom of the Opera and its different iterations. Also worth a watch!

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Apr 15, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Happy Landfill posted:

Relevant to this thread. Lindsay Ellis just posted a 45 minute critique of the '04 Phantom of The Opera movie. A lot of good stuff in here, I think

https://youtu.be/0qJX2U34SH4

this is a victoria's secret commercial

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

this is a victoria's secret commercial
I went back and fixed it. Sorry about that!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Happy Landfill posted:

http://youtu.be/-m5I_5Vnh6A

I remember enjoying this movie enough when it first came out (I even own it) but it really doesn't stand up to repeated viewings in my opinion . I don't know, this movie just could have been so much better. And the Phantom's make-up still pisses me off.

Edit: fixed the link. Also to add that she has a couple of other really good videos on the history of Phantom of the Opera and its different iterations. Also worth a watch!

phantom of the opera is my favorite story and the alw just underwhelms me in general. the movie was godawful but the filmed live version was decent though Sierra Bogess is real mediocre singing wise imo she needs to learn to enunciate. her acting is okay.

I actually much prefer the Yeston/Kopit musical. it's the farthest away from the source material but it does something interesting with the story and I like the music more than alw's version. Christine also has a lot more personality, really every character does. the takarazuka production of it is my favorite thing of all time, it's so good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Thank you for informing me that there is a Takarazuka production of Phantom :stare:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Happy Landfill posted:

Thank you for informing me that there is a Takarazuka production of Phantom :stare:

I highly recommend the version with wao yoka as Erik, she's phenomenal.

some clips
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHgQZm8UNH0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65h5ZvNAVQ0

the staging and costumes are so good

Troposphere has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Apr 15, 2016

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Troposphere posted:

I highly recommend the version with wao yoka as Erik, she's phenomenal.

some clips
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHgQZm8UNH0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65h5ZvNAVQ0

the staging and costumes are so good

Thank you for sharing this! This is so cool! My only real exposure to Takarazuka-type stuff has been the new Sailor Moon musicals, so this was really neat to see.

Speaking of, there is nothing ironic about my love for the Sailor Moon musicals.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen Office by Johnnie To? I was more than a little confused when I first heard about it but I think as long as it breaks into a ridiculous gun fight in the middle of a songs number, it could be pretty drat cool.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

to the surprise of roughly 0 people, hamilton has won the pulitzer prize for drama. the once-a-decade trend of musicals winning continues.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I think Next To Normal was the last one that won a Pulitzer, unless I'm mistaken. But yeah, congrats to Hamilton! It'll probably be off Broadway by the time I finally get to see it.

In other not-surprising news, the 1997 animated film Anastasia is finally done as a musical on Broadway in the upcoming season, probably next year. It's double not-surprising because a) half the shows on Broadway every year are an adaptation of something, and b) I swear it has been in development hell for at least 5 years, because I vaguely remember hearing about it back then when I was in college.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
16 nominations for Hamilton, including a triple Featured Actor mom for Daveed, Chris, and Groff.

The steamroller continues

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

aBagorn posted:

16 nominations for Hamilton, including a triple Featured Actor mom for Daveed, Chris, and Groff.

The steamroller continues

Ughhhh

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

same

hamilton will probably win everything except maybe lead actress but george c. wolfe absolutely should win for book at the very least

it also sucks poo poo that disaster didn't get any big nominations. seth rudetsky is an insufferable name-dropper but the show's gotten great notices

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Disaster is one of my favorites. It's so funny. Glad Jennifer Simard got a nod at least. I hope Spring Awakening wins best revival. It was incredible.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

same

hamilton will probably win everything except maybe lead actress but george c. wolfe absolutely should win for book at the very least

it also sucks poo poo that disaster didn't get any big nominations. seth rudetsky is an insufferable name-dropper but the show's gotten great notices

I don't think it will win either lead category.

e: \/ I agree Leslie should win, but I'm really thinking Burstein is going to get the 'poo poo we really should give you a Tony shouldn't we?' award this year

aBagorn has a new favorite as of 04:27 on May 4, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

leslie odom will and probably should win.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I hope Spring Awakening wins best revival. It was incredible.
That was the Deaf cast, right? My wife really wanted to see it, but we weren't able to pull off a New York trip in time to make it happen. We saw it many years ago, but I heard the Deaf cast was really something special.

And I'm thrilled for Hamilton. This will be the first time I've ever watched the Tony Awards!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That was the Deaf cast, right? My wife really wanted to see it, but we weren't able to pull off a New York trip in time to make it happen. We saw it many years ago, but I heard the Deaf cast was really something special.

And I'm thrilled for Hamilton. This will be the first time I've ever watched the Tony Awards!

Yeah. It was so cool. So for every character, it was either played by a hearing actor who sang AND signed, or a Deaf actor who signed with a hearing counterpart who sang. They were credited as "the voice of (Wendla, for example)"

Here is a video of about the making of Spring Awakening and other Deaf productions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlX4Zt4sPtE

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey a musicals thread. I love musicals. It's hard to find a musical I don't like, although when I put some people to the challenge they did manage to find it.

I tend to find a musical then get completely obsessed with it until I know all of the words, then move on to another. I'm basically a swarm of locusts for musicals. My current obsession is everyone's obsession, Hamilton, which I've listened to in its entirety twice today alone.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Oh I hear you on that one. I finally got to see a production of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson last month and absolutely loved it. I still listen to Rock Star every so often, and since I just bought the soundtrack to Book of Mormon (which I saw last year), several songs from there has made it into my daily playlist.

I've recently been obsessed with watching Broadway Cares' annual special events, like the Broadway Backwards performances and the Easter Bonnet competition.

Josh Young (who has one of the richest voices I've ever heard god drat) singing "Bring On The Men" from Jekyll & Hyde
http://youtu.be/jdYgWa5hA_4

The cast of Avenue Q's winning entry for last year's Easter Bonnet competition
http://youtu.be/ohubvLe5phE

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

miscast owns also and i really want to do liaisons from night music for it

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I was pretty surprised at how quickly Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson left Broadway. It's a pretty great play, and a bit before its time. I would have loved to have seen it on Broadway now, post-Hamilton and with this entire election season.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
What annoys me about Hamilton is I'm desperate to know the words to all the songs because that's what I do with musicals but I'm not accustomed to hip hop and between the complex rhythms and just sheer number of words per second, it's so hard. Compared to something like Les Mis which within 10 times listening to it you should have it almost entirely memorized it is just so difficult.

The more melodic songs I know extremely well but I still struggle with things like Farmer Refuted or Guns and Ships, nevermind the cabinet battles which I'd be surprised if I ever learned.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure where else to ask something like this:

My favorite move-musical is Little Shop of Horrors, and I've got tickets to see it in play form in a week or so. Am I doomed to be disappointed because the play doesn't have the ability to have an animatic powered by 50 dudes?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The play is normally fantastic. It's smaller scale, but I feel that works in its favor.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Be prepared for a completely different ending. I happen to like both the movie and stage production about equally.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Asiina posted:

What annoys me about Hamilton is I'm desperate to know the words to all the songs because that's what I do with musicals but I'm not accustomed to hip hop and between the complex rhythms and just sheer number of words per second, it's so hard. Compared to something like Les Mis which within 10 times listening to it you should have it almost entirely memorized it is just so difficult.

The more melodic songs I know extremely well but I still struggle with things like Farmer Refuted or Guns and Ships, nevermind the cabinet battles which I'd be surprised if I ever learned.

I mean, Rap Genius exists for a reason.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask something like this:

My favorite move-musical is Little Shop of Horrors, and I've got tickets to see it in play form in a week or so. Am I doomed to be disappointed because the play doesn't have the ability to have an animatic powered by 50 dudes?

It depends who's producing it, really. Stage puppets can vary really widely in quality. That's why that Low Budget Milky Whites tumblr is so entertaining.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, Rap Genius exists for a reason.

Yeah not sure if Asiina means "knowing them" as far as having them memorized or knowing them so as to be able to sing/rap along.

I'm good with the former with Hamilton, but the latter - eh sometimes I just can't keep up. Especially with Guns and Ships.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's mostly singing along.

I've got MOST of the show at this point, but holy poo poo Guns and Ships.

There's also frankly just a lot of words to memorize and even if you read them to help you it doesn't necessarily give you help with the cadence. Even just from the opening number this is how Jefferson's line is written

quote:

And every day while slaves were being slaughtered and carted
Away across the waves, he struggled and kept his guard up
Inside, he was longing for something to be a part of
The brother was ready to beg, steal, borrow, or barter

but if you actually listen to it, the rhythm doesn't fall like that at all, especially the first two lines which puts a lot of emphasis on the "ay" sounds wherever they appear.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This discussion reminds me of Bertie Wooster failing to grasp the syncopation in "Puttin' On The Ritz":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9axGrzDE0

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, not being able to keep up with Daveed Diggs isn't something to be ashamed of.

Relatedly: I discovered that "Toblerone Triangular" can be sung to fit the meter of "Alexander Hamilton".

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The Hamilton twitter just spontaneously announced that they are putting up tickets for Nov-Jan about 3 minutes before they did at 9pm.

So holy poo poo.

HOLY poo poo!

I'm dying.

I have died.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Asiina posted:

The Hamilton twitter just spontaneously announced that they are putting up tickets for Nov-Jan about 3 minutes before they did at 9pm.

So holy poo poo.

HOLY poo poo!

I'm dying.

I have died.

Lmk if you're gonna come to NY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted: