Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hearts of Iron 3 is the Sequel to Hearts of Iron 2. Released in 2009, HOI3 was a sequel insofar as it had the same name - the gameplay bears a semebalance to HOI2. Whereas HOI2 had only about 200ish provinces, HOI3 has roughly 10,000+ provinces. HOI3 is a reimaging of the series, and it really encompasses the truly global nature of WW2. Additionally, with the huge improvements that the expansions have made, HOI3 really rubs that spot right between the Grognard-chocolate-ration-per-day-simulator and the arcade RTS.

Will you use the huge mod on Paradox forums that changes everything and makes the game way better?

I thought about it, but HOI3 is really improved from the days when it first came out. Also, as much as I would love to use Black ICE, it really pigeonholes the player into doing certain things, which I don't like, and for this LP, is not a good thing.

Why now? When HOI4 is just around the corner?

Well, the truth is, I've always thought HOI3 is the most LP-worthy game - it's just that its entirely screenshots which I can say, speaking from experience, makes for a lot of hard work. And I really want to get an LP done before HOI4 comes out and I stop playing this game forever.

How will Goons ruin participate in your carefully laid plans?

I'm going to run the LP in kind of an odd fashion. Depending upon whom we pick, voting will be more consenus-based (like certain Allied High commands were) or more me doing whatever I want with input from the thread. The country that is selected will influence how the LP is done - so keep that in mind as you vote for countries. Also, keep in the mind that selecting certain countries will change the year we start in.

So, with that, lets get to it:

Germany

Advantages: Is a war machine with sick early game bonuses, a large army, great leaders, and probably the funnest game. Leads the Axis faction
Downsides: Prepare to be on the recieving end of endless strategic bombings, no ability to import stuff once we go to war, and a small navy that rapidly drops off in effectiveness.

Italy

Advantages: Much larger surface navy then Germany, Gets to fight in more interesting theaters
Downsides: Italy has awful IC, awful leadership, awful politicians.One bad engagement with the British will mean the end of any Italian ambitions. Even if we're wildly successful, we may not alter the outcome of the war enough to make a difference.

Japan

Advantages: Large surface navy, an entire other country to conquer, an interesting Pacific navy war game if played correctly.
Downsides: Kind of a paper tiger - if the war in China drags on, Japan may start having manpower issues. One bad engagement with the US can also totally ruin any chance at winning the war.

Republic of China (Nationalists)

Advantages: Infinite manpower, defensible terrian, lots of room and people to conquer. Can become a world power if you win the war with Japan, and is so centrally located that it can join any faction with relative ease.
Downsides: Low IC, low leadership. Its a tough fight versus Japan.

Great Britian

Advantages: 1st Largest Navy in the World, strong air arm, in a good position to strike at the periphery of the Axis. Leader of Allied Faction.
Downsides: You're basically trying to do everything the US needs to do, but with less leadership, manpower, and IC than the US.

Soviet Union

Advantages: Almost infinite manpower, lots of room to expand, lots of interesting events, and one big war with Nazi Germany. Leader of the Comintern Faction.
Downsides: Low leadership, and smaller IC means that the war with Nazi Germany can be contentious in its early phases. But given enough time, the Soviet Union can bring communism to the world.

The United States

Advantages: Huge IC pool, Huge Leadership Pool, 2nd Largest Navy in the world, with the ability to rapidly become an industrial juggernaut, shoving Lend-Lease IC down everybodies throat. The US can literally run itself out of manpower purely through building too many divisions.
Downsides: Kind of low manpower, small army to begin with. And you're far away from everyone, so joining in on the action requires long shipping times. Additionally, high neutrality means that we might not get in on the war until Japan attacks us in 1941...unless Goons rig the elections of 1936.

Why not France or some other minor?

With the exception of maybe Canada, the minors in HOI3 aren't really worth playing, largely because they will run out of manpower really quickly and get out-teched by the majors by 1943. As for France, their game is really kind of uninteresting since you're basically re-running WW1.

Will you stack 1500 infantry divisions in one province and rape the Soviet union, or build stupid carrier-death stacks that kill everything?

For the most part, I'll try to stay away from the hyper-gamey poo poo that HOI2 (and HOI3, to an extent) really perptuated. The sea game in HOI3 is a bad joke and I will definitely exploit the fact that battleships,cruisers,and destroyers will never, ever catch up to carriers in battle, but elsewise, the land game in HOI3 is really balanced against mass-producing one type of unit to rule them all. All units (well, most units) have their upsides and their uses, and I intend to build varied and interesting armies(nation-permitting of course).The air system in HOI3 is roughly the same as it was in HOI2, but Paradox nerfed some really gamey things that you used to be able to do (like mass-mass-mass CAGs as Germany).

When the war finally does happen, can I create really retarded operations that involve invading Germany in 1941, or general offensives against the Maginot Line?

Absolutely! This time around, I will provide nice, huge resolution maps of the world to play with in the OP. HOI3's Semper Fi also came with a literal operation planner thing, that allows me to draw dicks on the map my complicated schemes for victory. Depending of course, on the nation we pick.

The Verge of WW2 map
Completely unpainted province map with borders
[more coming later]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Putting my vote in for the USA, and for gaming the elections.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Italy, because they have the best hats.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Soviet Union have the prettiest tanks so of course.

HoI3 had some really cool ideas I just could not get my head around on release.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

A White Guy posted:

Depending upon whom we pick, voting will be more consenus-based (like certain Allied High commands were) or more me doing whatever I want with input from the thread.
If I choose the Soviet Union, would this mean every posts wish needs to be fulfilled executed?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Voting maximum American hegemony. Stuff those ballot boxes.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Come on guys Italy deserves some time in the sun. :italy: edit: also your map links give me a 404.

LordGugs fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 9, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Italy. Ethiopia never knew what hit 'em!

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
Airstrip One! I mean, UK!

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nationalist China. Let's throw the island dwarves back into the sea.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Everyone knows America won the war single-handedly, so let's go with that.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Glorious Italy deserves a runout.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Nationalist China.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I'd really like to see either Japan or theUSA, I really would like to see how someone else does the pacific theatre in this game.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Maximum USA. I wanna see what it looks like when the juggernaut strays rolling early

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
I'd like to see just how successful you can be as Japan.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Nationalist China.

kaosblaze
Sep 26, 2015
Throwing a vote in for the Soviet Union.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
:ussr: Soviet Union :ussr:

Let's turn the word red, with Communism, and blood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Soviet Union.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Nationalist China

Come on, let's make Sun Yat-sen proud! We can still be the united states... of China.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Soviet Union.

Pretty sure HoI2 had more than 200 provinces though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Germany

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
USA
Go maximum industry and drown the world in tanks. Also, rig the election and go Commitern.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
All in for the Soviet Union

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

All Power To The Soviets

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Russia, because there isn't a Paradox game that doesn't allow Russia to turn into an absolute trainwreck.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Who doesn't want to play as this hunk? Italy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

:ussr: Soviet Union :ussr:

Let's turn the word red, with Communism, and blood.

USSR. World Communism soonish.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
USA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Soviets, with a goal of taking Japan before anyone else can.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Italy

The time to restore Rome has come!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Come on, everyone and their brother played Germany. The European theater is played out. The US is probably boring because of how unstoppable you are, especially against the AI. Japan, on the other hand, is a complicated nation with too much to possibly achieve, so will make for an interesting LP.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Voting Japan will Make Anime Real.

We've had a lot of paradox LPs in the past, but never really as a naval nation (to my knowledge, I probably missed one). I'm tempted by the Soviets, but I think we've had enough communist LPs recently that I think a change would be nice.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
China kind of sucks right now, let's give them a better history!

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
gamey the navy and go Japan

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Nationalist China, Japan, or Communist USA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

:japan:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

:siren:Voting Closed:siren:

Despite a strong showing early by :italy:, a surge by :911:, and then a mixed race between Nationalist China and :japan:, it looks like :ussr: has won it.

USA: 7
Italy: 7
Soviet Union: 10
UK: 1
Germany: 1
NC: 6
Japan: 7.

It's Friday night, so I'm going to go and get properly hammered, and then put together an update while under the influence. Anybody got any good Vodka recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
China, drat, forgot to refresh the page, too little too late

• Locked thread