Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Maybe like real France they had it undermanned for WW2,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Consider expanding your influence at the Balkan and Baltic states. By force, if you so desire.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Omobono posted:

Is Spain mostly a done thing now (so we can scale the help back a bit) or should we wait another 6 months for security?
I'm assuming the Axis can't really afford sending IC to Franco right now, so Spain should be safe.

I cheated and looked at both sides as though I was a player. Nationalist Spain is out of manpower and has roughly 19 infantry divisions. Republican Spain has about 57 manpower (so almost the same sorry state), 22 divisions, two of which are militia divisions doing nothing in Eastern Spain (sitting in Barcelona and Valencia, respectively). The Nationalist merchant marine has been completely sunk, while the Republicans are using the IC we provide them to replace their own. I'd say at sea that the Nationalists have the slight advantage - the Republicans have more subs, but the Nationalists still have the very experienced (literally 5 star experience battleship, which is something I've never seen before) Espaņa grouped up with their remaining heavy cruisers(of which they have 4) and destroyers. The Republicans have only the ARE Jaime I and 3 light cruisers, which are in separate formations with their now-considerable transport capacity (stupid AI building transports WHEN IT NEEDS DIVISIONS :argh:). The Nationlists would win a sea engagement, but thankfully, they don't really have any destroyers capable of detecting the subs sinking their convoys.
'
Nationalist Spain is doing that typical dumbass AI thing and building transports right now. Republican Spain is doing roughly the same stupid thing, but is building two new destroyer divisions, two new garrison divisions, a tac bomber squadron, and a mountaineering division. I'd say that given another 6 or 7 month, enough Nationalist divisions will have shattered (when divisions take enough causalities, they'll shatter and be destroyed.) that the Republicans will win the war.

Omobono posted:

How the bloody hell did pixel Hitler bust through the Maginot line? The whole loving point was that they couldn't just bust through it, they instead went around it, and no matter how strong a fortress line is cut supply lines are cut supply lines.

I honestly have no idea how the AI does these things. My guess is that the French AI left one division on the Maginot line forts each and that the German AI grouped their entire OB West in Lorraine.

quote:

E: can we use Spain to open a second front in the west later on?

If France can't hold the line, no way in hell the Spanish are gonna do it. As is, the Republicans are going to run out of manpower before they win the Civil War, which isn't exactly conducive to holding off German panzers. As for taking on a Fascist AI Portrugal, however, I have total faith in the Spanish.I should also mention that whatever side wins the SCW gets the remaining divisions of the other side, so provided the Republicans don't utterly wipe out the Nationalists, they'll probably end up with 30ish divisions.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 13, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Germany holding the strait of Gibraltar could be funny.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This is looking like it's gonna be awesome.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
How are the Japanese doing in China? I would have thought they would be too bogged down to really transfer enough forces to the Manchurian front. If only we had some spare IC to prop up the nationalists...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We should flip the Mongolians.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

sullat posted:

How are the Japanese doing in China? I would have thought they would be too bogged down to really transfer enough forces to the Manchurian front. If only we had some spare IC to prop up the nationalists...

Nationalist China is very much on the ropes. The only reasons they've lasted this long is entirely because I've gave them really fat bonuses(like, 40% soft attack and 40% territorial pride) and that they're in mountainous terrain . But, I can only staunch the bleeding for so long. Actually, checking the the game, it turns out the Nationalist Chinese refused the event that gave them the bonuses, which means they've held out this entire time without any bonuses :wtc:. Chongqing is being assaulted from three sides by the Japanese, who outnumber the Chinese defender. Even if Chongqing itself continues to hold out, the Japanese are in danger of finally reaching the border with the neutral Yunnan clique, which will cut off supply flow from the capital (where all supply in HOI3 originates). Once either of those two things happen, the game is up for the Chinese.

Plus Xibei San Ma (the purple nation) has been neutral this whole time. Had the Japanese attacked them, they would've been able to outflank the Nationalists. Just for reference, only Nationalist China and the Guangxi Clique (the bluish colored nation in SW China) are at war with the Japanese. I'm thinking about writing an event that brings the rest of China into the war, if only to finish up the war in China so we can get done to a good ol' fashion brawl in Siberia.

Shame we can't feed them IC, but dem's da brakes.

goatface posted:

We should flip the Mongolians.

The Mongolians are our puppets, soooooo....

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 13, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The inner Mongolians.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A White Guy posted:

I honestly have no idea how the AI does these things. My guess is that the French AI left one division on the Maginot line forts each and that the German AI grouped their entire OB West in Lorraine.

Speaking from experience, its usually a case of France not knowing when to call off an attack. They probably saw a "weakness in the line" so to speak, attacked it and ruined their organization values. And because that province front a lot of German provinces, it would've been easy for them to attack them from multiple directions while reinforcements from Poland made their way across Germany to reinforce the positions.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Omobono posted:

Is Spain mostly a done thing now (so we can scale the help back a bit) or should we wait another 6 months for security?
I'm assuming the Axis can't really afford sending IC to Franco right now, so Spain should be safe.

How the bloody hell did pixel Hitler bust through the Maginot line? The whole loving point was that they couldn't just bust through it, they instead went around it, and no matter how strong a fortress line is cut supply lines are cut supply lines.

When the AI is managing a defense line, it tends to keep only a few units on the front itself and leave the rest in reserve a ways back. It then tries to regularly cycle units in and out of combat, but usually fucks up the timing and lets the odd province slip. The offensive AI is ok at concentrating its efforts to attempt breakthroughs.

Put those together, and you get a France that can't hold the world's largest fortress.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Speaking from experience, its usually a case of France not knowing when to call off an attack. They probably saw a "weakness in the line" so to speak, attacked it and ruined their organization values. And because that province front a lot of German provinces, it would've been easy for them to attack them from multiple directions while reinforcements from Poland made their way across Germany to reinforce the positions.

That's probably it. Either way, this gives the Germans basically unassailable positions in Eastern France to which they can retreat once the War in the East starts, which , by the way I'm going to have to do via event. For whatever dumb reason, when the MRP fires, it causes a non-aggression pact between Germany, the SU, and Japan.

I'm really thinking about giving China another boost via decision and giving all the Chinese minors (excepting Tibet and Xianjing) a decision to join with China, join the war against Japan, or stay neutral.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you set India as a neutral independent?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A White Guy posted:

I'm really thinking about giving China another boost via decision and giving all the Chinese minors (excepting Tibet and Xianjing) a decision to join with China, join the war against Japan, or stay neutral.

China already gets those events, but I can't remember if its a day/time restriction or because they start at war in the '38 scenario. There's a decision that plays asking COM CHI to sign a non-aggression pack, ally, or keep fighting. Afterwards there are events that force the ai to choose who to support (if youre playing China) or just to join against japanese aggression.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

China already gets those events, but I can't remember if its a day/time restriction or because they start at war in the '38 scenario. There's a decision that plays asking COM CHI to sign a non-aggression pack, ally, or keep fighting. Afterwards there are events that force the ai to choose who to support (if youre playing China) or just to join against japanese aggression.

Yeah, I think the 1938 start kinda change the dynamic. I'm also thinking about making the AI decisions variable, depending on who they are. I looked at Southern China today and realized the entirety of the Southern Chinese armies were out of supply because supply can't route itself through the Guanxgi Clique, so I think having NC inherit GC as a convience to gameplay might not be a bad idea.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just have Nat Chi inheret everyone, not like it'll change much because youll either fight Japan for manchria+china or greater china. :shrug:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Jesus christ on crutches. So, after like 8 hours of debugging, I finally figured out the problem with my China events - HOI3, for whatever reason, does not like it when decisions are underneath a certain character limit :wtc:

New update later tonight.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A White Guy posted:

Jesus christ on crutches. So, after like 8 hours of debugging, I finally figured out the problem with my China events - HOI3, for whatever reason, does not like it when decisions are underneath a certain character limit :wtc:

New update later tonight.

:paradox:

The most arbitrary of bugs!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

We are the Soviet Union. These are the chronicles of Starship Communism, it's continuing mission: to seek out new masses to free, to find new resources for the war against capitalism, to boldly go where no peasant has gone before. October 18th to December 1st, 1939.

As the massive Soviet armies begin to move into place, Chiang Kai-shek makes a speech in Chongqing as Japanese bombers raid the city. In his speech, he declares that the invaders have driven deep into China, but the Chinese are not bowed, and are not broken. A new front, The Third National Front is to be created, with the aim of throwing the Japanese out of China once and for all. The governors of Guangdong and Yunnan are promoted to generals, and brought to Chongqing to take command of the failing Chinese armies (ie, China annexes the Yunnan and Guangxi clique), while in Qinghai, the KMT aligned armies of the Ma Clique begin their renewed offensive (Xibei San Ma joins the war on NCs side).

On October 24th, a week before Soviet planners projected the earliest possible time for an offensive, Hungary announced their intention to join the Axis. Eyebrows were raised in Moscow, but the decision to continue troop movements came from Stalin himself.

RIP poor little Denmark :smith:

On November 4th, the heroic Danish army, vastly outnumbered by the invading Nazis, capitulates to the Germans. In Moscow, Stalin continues to push off the offensive by days, waiting for the massive Soviet armies to finally move into place.

goddamn it France :cripes:. YOU HAD ONE JOB.

By November 16th, Stalin decides that he can wait no longer. With the French falling back in the face of the German offensive, time is of the essence. In the East, troops had already reached their final defensive positions. In the west, the vast majority of Stavka's troops were in position. The decision is passed down from on high, Stalin through GOONSKI. Operation Cena is a go.

From here on out, this LP is gonna get kinda slow. Previously, I was doing updates at 5x speed, now we'll be doing them in very short increments of time, in 3x speed.

At 9 am on November 16th, the Soviet ambassador in Berlin hands the Soviet Declaration of War to Von Ribbentrop. The Comintern and the Axis are now at war.

Immediately, GOONSKI orders that war production be implemented. Vast sums of Soviet material and money are now directed toward the military. This war will be all or nothing. Total war, total victory, or total defeat.

In the first hours of the war, German border guards immediately begin to counter-attack in advancing Soviet divisions, stalling for time.

On the Southern border, German border guards also counter-attack, but the heavier armor prescence here causes significant casualties

The first in what will soon be millions

Indeed, German troops begin to fall back across the border as Soviet tanks begin to apply pressure.

In the east, the Japanese begin to probe the Vladivostock defensive perimeter, driving back some scouting brigades while taking heavy losses. The defenders are not overly worried yet, as ground can be surrendered, and time is bought for troops to dig in.

On November 20th, 4 days after the DoW, the reason for holding Vladivostock begins to pay dividends, as the first of many convoys is sent to the bottom.

The next day, the Japanese respond with what will be the first of many Soviet convoys sent to the bottom.

For some reason, literally every good German Commander is here. Model, Von Runstedt, Student are all divionsal commanders in this sector.

And by November 23rd, the Soviet High Command has their first defeat.

By November 26th, most of the Baltic Front is freely advancing, desperately attempting to encircle the corp sized element facing them. Here they are hindered by the poor weather and poorer terrain.

In the South, the Southwestern Front has barely advanced 44 kms in a week. The 1st Medium armor corp, on the front lines of the action has driven the furthest into Poland, and is currently waiting for the Baltic front to move up on their right (north).

By December 1st, the Japanese are beginning their inflitration into Khabarovsky Krai. Most of the defence lines are completely dug in now, waiting for the attack to begin.

And so, by the end of the 1st two weeks of the war, almost 10,000 Soviet soldiers had paid with their lives for barely a 100km advance into Poland. In the North, the Baltic front looks in a strong position to pin several divisions of Germans against the Lithuanian border. In the South, the Southwestern Front looks in a good position to link up with the Baltic Front to the North.

Through out all of this, Soviet society mobilizes everything for war. Even the rooftops in Moscow are painted black for fear of German bombing.

Finally, in early December, Stalin is approached by GOONSKI with a question on the current position of industry relative to advances in the 1st two weeks.

A. Leave it where it is! - 200 Manpower
B. Our Industrial Base is threatened - some industry is moved to Siberia
C. A Major Transfer is needed! - A lot of our industry is moved to Siberia
D. Leave them Nothing! - We pretty much move everything west of Moscow to Siberia.

France has also asked for lend-lease IC. How much will we send to them? For reference, we're currently sending 20 IC to Republican Spain still.

A. Nothing!
B. 10 IC
C. 20 IC
D. 50 IC!

How do I feel about the war so far?

Depressed. German divisions are vastly superior to Russian ones, and it's clear that this will be a drag 'em down knock 'em out fight. On the Eastern Front, Japanese divisions are only somewhat better on a par for par basis with Soviet ones, so I feel much better there.Elsewise, it is far too early to tell if we'll win. Right now, we have the initiative, and I intend to press it as far as it will take me.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

With a two front war going on, in which Siberian ground is being traded for time, I don't think it would be wise to put all our eggs in one basket, so I'd go for B on the first bit. Also, give the French imperialist pigdogs a token gesture of 10 IC (option B again). We want them weak when Germany's finished so that their colonies may be liberated and their government overthrown by the proletariat.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
BB

How is Spain doing? :ohdear:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

B for the sensible choice

A because France seems to be too busy sucking to really appreciate anything we'd give them.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
C It's only a matter of time before the Nazis are on the doorstep of Moscow. I feel better about our chances of driving back the Japanese than the German war machine.

A The French are about to get driven into the Atlantic. Any aid we give them will be turned right back on us if/when they become fascist Vichy collaborators.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
B; Some provisions must be made, but The People will be victorious against the Nazis and their American Overlords.

A; France is about to be crushed under the Nazi Boot. Any help we provide now will be useless.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
DA

There's no point in half-measures here.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
CB should be the best solution.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Gort posted:

AD

There's no point in half-measures here.
You are right! The lack of faith in our comrades is disheartening!
The brave soldier will not take one step back, not one leaf of grass will be thread on, not one hamlet will change hands and not one loaf of bread will be eaten by the silly germans in their silly outfits! Our friends in France will see the greatness we are doing, by helping them. They are lead astray by the imperialist british but what does it help them? See their mighty fortresses crumble, see their soldiers fleeing, see their cheese and wine be digested by the common german soldier. As we show faith in our people, we must show faith in their people, as we soon will stand shoulder to shoulder, shaking hands and changing cooking recipes! For the people! For the cheese!

AD!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A D

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
DA

Make those Nazis freeze!

Also, gently caress France. :france:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
AA

Let's put all our communist eggs in one communist basket.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well, we have just won the war. Now for the bloody years of attrition.
How much manpower do we have and generate vs Germany's?
How better, pound for pound, are the nazi divisions compared to ours? How many more can we field and replace?

C - A
The wehrmacht is going to push us in once they're done in France, any IC their way is wasted and much more useful to build our units.

E: any chance we can ask 'murica for some Lend/lease?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 14, 2015

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

We will not allow the Germans into the heart of the motherland while Siberia is already in a precarious state.

Meanwhile unlike Republican Spain, we're actually involved in the same war as France so can involve ourselves directly. Instead of helping them by sending them supplies, we'll help them by modernising our forces and crushing the forces of Fascism. We do not disregard our commitment to fighting Fascism and protecting human rights, but we will do so by strengthening the Red Army.

AA

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Omobono posted:

How better, pound for pound, are the nazi divisions compared to ours? How many more can we field and replace?

Thousands more than Germany, and they generate very little compared to Russia (Unless AWG has modified the normal settings)

Nazi divisions are usually better, usually. They will certainly have more officers, meaning they will have better organization, but as a general rule the Soviets have massive quantities of troops they can use to replace losses.

As for Lend-Lease, its an American decision, and we should start seeing Destroyers for Bases and so on soon.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
We're on the offensive, no need to move our industry!

AB

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AA

One war at a time, let's get the tough one over with.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
CA

Siberia is a pretty chill place. Our workers can move there and be cool. gently caress France, can't even hold onto a fortress for five minutes.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

AB

We must have faith in our people the defeat our enemy without such drastic measures. As for France, I suppose we can throw some IC so they can last until we liberate their land for the glorious revolution.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Omobono posted:

More than them, and definitely more gain per them per month

Omobono posted:

Waaaaay better than ours,especially with the Destiny Modifier still in place. We currently probably field more than them right now, and we're going to field a lot more now that the Rodina modifier is active. In addition, we're also at about 60% officer ratio right now, so I've been diverting pretty much all of our leadership into officers right now, except for the diplomacy that's being used to influence Republican Spain into the Comintern. Speaking of which, loving Britian is influencing them :argh:.

Omobono posted:

I think America is probably still too neutral. Once Destroyers For Bases happens, we'll see them start lend-leasing to us.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 14, 2015

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

A White Guy posted:

...except for the diplomacy that's being used to influence Republican Spain into the Comintern. Speaking of which, loving Britian is influencing them :argh:.

Are you going to add SPR to Comintern as soon as possible? Maybe we should use some of our glorious worker-force to reinforce the Pyrenees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
C and A. We'll deeply regret not moving anything come springtime. We're not even at the forward border gained historically by the invasion of Poland, facing what is probably a fifth of German strength, and we are already getting stuck in badly.

• Locked thread