Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
70s War of the World gently caress yeah :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I listen to that War of the Worlds soundtrack so much I honestly thought iTunes had spontaneously started playing it in the background during the episode and had to check.

That episode had two incredibly well done tension-ratcheting scenes. Bravo on that front! Also I know Jesse the Lemon genuinely gained weight, but that must have been a suit right? Because sheesh I wouldn't envy him having to drop that for the next role.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Season is off to a good start.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
After Fat Damon threw his clothes in the fireplace there was a close up of something glowing in the fire. I couldn't quite make out what it was. Was it something we were supposed to recognize?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

After Fat Damon threw his clothes in the fireplace there was a close up of something glowing in the fire. I couldn't quite make out what it was. Was it something we were supposed to recognize?

Looked like a belt buckle to me.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It looked like a police badge to me.

Upon rewatching, it's a belt buckle.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 20, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah thats what I thought.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Steve2911 posted:

Rye's belt buckle. He didn't just burn his own clothes.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

Season is off to a good start.

Fargo likes mute characters.
(I guess I do too)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

sout posted:

Fargo likes mute characters.
(I guess I do too)

I expect them to say exactly one word at some critical plot point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paladinus posted:

I expect them to say exactly one word at some critical plot point.

Goon 1: poo poo.
Goon 2: gently caress.
Both: poo poo gently caress!

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

TheBizzness posted:

I must have missed the extraterrestrial reference in the past episode can someone fill me in?

The voice over in the final shot was from war of the worlds, and the camera and lighting implied it was shot in UFO-vision.

[edit] god drat it I didn't realize there was a new page already and this post is worthless.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Hmm, I'm waiting for the PS Store to update with the final episode of Life is Strange. Maybe I'll catch up on the second episode of Fargo as a light appetizer to pass the time," said no one smart, ever.

Jesus that got me jacked up. The final sequence with Ed and Lou at the butcher shop was super tense, and the loving War of the Worlds needledrop at the end was haunting.

I mean, I know that doesn't leave much to discuss, but goddamn, I'm gonna need a minute.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is going to be the best show of the year again, isn't it?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Based on the selection from war of the Worlds I'm guessing the aliens, whether or not they actually figure into the plot, are meant to be a parallel to the Reganites and corporate types represented by Brad Garrett.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Jake Armitage posted:

The voice over in the final shot was from war of the worlds, and the camera and lighting implied it was shot in UFO-vision.

[edit] god drat it I didn't realize there was a new page already and this post is worthless.

Not at all! Thank you!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Steve2911 posted:

I listen to that War of the Worlds soundtrack so much I honestly thought iTunes had spontaneously started playing it in the background during the episode and had to check.

That episode had two incredibly well done tension-ratcheting scenes. Bravo on that front! Also I know Jesse the Lemon genuinely gained weight, but that must have been a suit right? Because sheesh I wouldn't envy him having to drop that for the next role.

Lol same. I checked my open windows to see if I had somehow started it because I couldn't believe they put it on the show.

Seriously, listen to that poo poo because it is an orgasm for your ears/mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st24-6JQos8

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Based on the selection from war of the Worlds I'm guessing the aliens, whether or not they actually figure into the plot, are meant to be a parallel to the Reganites and corporate types represented by Brad Garrett.

star wars!!!!

Where did the popped foil balloon come from again? Is it possible the guy was so hosed up on adrenaline from killing people and getting stabbed that he mistook the balloon under the streetlight for UFO lights?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He was literally high, wasn't he.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

star wars!!!!

Where did the popped foil balloon come from again? Is it possible the guy was so hosed up on adrenaline from killing people and getting stabbed that he mistook the balloon under the streetlight for UFO lights?

The way they focused on the balloon reflecting in the close-up made me sure it was the balloon Rye saw, but then the voiceover at the end (complete with blue flash of light) made me less sure.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Escobarbarian posted:

This is going to be the best show of the year again, isn't it?

Pretty sure misogyny has a lot to do with it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Pretty sure misogyny has a lot to do with it
You see it is about ethics in prestige dramas

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

"Are they or aren't they literal aliens" is going to be this season's "Is Malvo literally the devil or isn't he"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ronald Reagan and Mike Milligan are literally L Ron Hubbard and Xenu, and they're going to duke it out for the soul of babby Molly. And I think we already know which one of them is Xenu...

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I like how there are mafia and hit men and poo poo that control a shitkicker town with oblivious law enforcement in the middle of North Dakota. Like what racket do they run that the KC mob interested? A trucking business?

This show has always felt like a weird Coen brothers karaoke by a middling network TV hack, with the added benefit of Tarantino monologues written by high school imitators. Part of the charm of the movie was that it was grounded in real aspects of the boring banal Midwest outlook, mixed with realistic bumbling crime. Everyone in this show is a cartoon, and half of them are hitmen.

The show runner also writes like he's only encountered Jews through the Internet and South Park.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Organized crime isn't an exclusively big city thing. There's money to be made in prostitution, drugs, blackmail, security, and legitimate business everywhere.

These two episodes have been fantastic so far. Some seriously intense moments. Also I'm p sure Kirsten dunsts boss is trying to bang her.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
You forgot gambling! :v:

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah, but the reason the rural Midwest doesn't have a long history of hitmen and mobsters is because there's gently caress all to extort or blackmail or whatever in a small town thats Minnesota nice. The first season at least was working with the concept that the bad guys were coming into nowheresville, but this season is setting up that there's a crime family in a tiny town that also has a police department that's dimly aware of it, but they also "run things" so well that a distant KC mob wants to buy them out by sending the one black guy in the world with that accent.

This is less a cool premise (like a Coen brothers movie) and more the cheesy application of some stock genre elements mishmashed together. But hey, wasn't it funny when everyone had accents? LOL!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Last Buffalo posted:

Yeah, but the reason the rural Midwest doesn't have a long history of hitmen and mobsters is because there's gently caress all to extort or blackmail or whatever in a small town thats Minnesota nice. The first season at least was working with the concept that the bad guys were coming into nowheresville, but this season is setting up that there's a crime family in a tiny town that also has a police department that's dimly aware of it, but they also "run things" so well that a distant KC mob wants to buy them out by sending the one black guy in the world with that accent.

This is less a cool premise (like a Coen brothers movie) and more the cheesy application of some stock genre elements mishmashed together. But hey, wasn't it funny when everyone had accents? LOL!!

I think this is the first overwhelmingly negative thing I've heard about the show since it started. Well done sir.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Last Buffalo posted:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Last Buffalo posted:

I don't understand why you're making a big deal about the accents. They're from the midwest. They have those accents. The end!

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 21, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Like the show so far, but I really dislike misunderstanding in fiction, like it makes me really uncomfortable that the couple don't realize they killed a killer and I wish they would just call the sheriff and he'd tell them "it's ok you accidently killed a murderer go back to your normal lives."

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Last Buffalo posted:

It's not about extortion or blackmail. Gambling and prostitution are everywhere, and it's about controlling truckers for distribution. Remember that in the first season, Lester's high school nemesis ran a little trucking company. This season, the Gerhardt's talk up their connection to Winnipeg, so they are presumably involved in smuggling stuff across the border too.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Like the show so far, but I really dislike misunderstanding in fiction, like it makes me really uncomfortable that the couple don't realize they killed a killer and I wish they would just call the sheriff and he'd tell them "it's ok you accidently killed a murderer go back to your normal lives."

I'm...pretty sure that's not how that works.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Last Buffalo posted:

You are a moron who has never looked at loving map of the Upper Midwest, much less lived here. You are also an rear end in a top hat. Here, I made a guide that's hopefully not too hard for you to wrap your head around:

(all towns with major plot relevance in the franchise (so far))

First, let us show why you are a moron.

The Gerhardt crime family lives outside of Fargo. It is the largest town for hundreds of miles in every direction, is not "tiny", and is a major highway nexus. Hmm, wonder if that's why the writers chose to base a crime family there. Nah, that wouldn't make any sense.

The Waffle Hut murders happened outside of Luverne. Fuckin' Luverne! So yes, your stellar analysis about how the local small-town cops should be taking down a crime operation hundreds of miles to the north (in a different loving state, even) is spot on.

The crime syndicate is from Kansas City. Note the major highways connecting KC with the other towns. Hmm, maybe that is relevant to the plot? Nah, couldn't be. It wouldn't make sense for a mob to expand from one hub city to another, especially a strategically placed city like Fargo, that would offer more access to Canada and points west.

Second, why you are an rear end in a top hat.

I grew up in rural Minnesota and there was definitely crime. Drug manufacture and trafficking, embezzling, arson, murder, hate crimes, you name it. Just because the media focuses on urban crime doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere. Most importantly for me though, a dear relative of mine was unable to escape the availability of drugs even in your mythical "nowheresville", and this was one factor that contributed to his suicide. :frogout:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Your logic cannot withstand the might of his mindless anti-consensus dismissal!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kurtofan posted:

It's perfectly reasonable to assume the police wouldn't let you get away with a major crime, no matter who the victim is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's a difference between a misunderstanding and mistakes made due to incomplete information.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Good words and arguments.

gently caress, dude.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 21, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You are a moron who has never looked at loving map of the Upper Midwest, much less lived here. You are also an rear end in a top hat. Here, I made a guide that's hopefully not too hard for you to wrap your head around:

(all towns with major plot relevance in the franchise (so far))

First, let us show why you are a moron.

The Gerhardt crime family lives outside of Fargo. It is the largest town for hundreds of miles in every direction, is not "tiny", and is a major highway nexus. Hmm, wonder if that's why the writers chose to base a crime family there. Nah, that wouldn't make any sense.

The Waffle Hut murders happened outside of Luverne. Fuckin' Luverne! So yes, your stellar analysis about how the local small-town cops should be taking down a crime operation hundreds of miles to the north (in a different loving state, even) is spot on.

The crime syndicate is from Kansas City. Note the major highways connecting KC with the other towns. Hmm, maybe that is relevant to the plot? Nah, couldn't be. It wouldn't make sense for a mob to expand from one hub city to another, especially a strategically placed city like Fargo, that would offer more access to Canada and points west.

Second, why you are an rear end in a top hat.

I grew up in rural Minnesota and there was definitely crime. Drug manufacture and trafficking, embezzling, arson, murder, hate crimes, you name it. Just because the media focuses on urban crime doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere. Most importantly for me though, a dear relative of mine was unable to escape the availability of drugs even in your mythical "nowheresville", and this was one factor that contributed to his suicide. :frogout:

Getting real mad about being from an unimportant nowhere town itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Steve2911 posted:

There's a difference between a misunderstanding and mistakes made due to incomplete information.

I know, I'm not sure what to call it,It just drives me nuts!

Lycus posted:

It's perfectly reasonable to assume the police wouldn't let you get away with a major crime, no matter who the victim is.

Hell, the guy was standing in the middle of the road, pretty sure he's the one who was in the wrong here

• Locked thread