Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

socketwrencher posted:

Have you had an MRI? I think it's advisable.

I've had it twice on my left knee, 3 years apart, both times to clean up torn and frayed bits of meniscus. The first couple days after surgery were rough because Vicodin makes me nauseous, so I was popping Ibuprofen and acetaminophen, which weren't very effective.

The first time helped a lot as there was apparently a lot to cut away. The second time, not so much; the torn bit that showed up on the MRI was removed but the doc said it wasn't as bad as he was expecting; after recovery, I still had the same soreness after moderate (1 hour of tennis or basketball) exercise.

What did help was talking with the nurse practitioner I met after a physical therapy session. While the orthopedists were basically saying my choices were "lifestyle modification"- i.e. if it hurts when you exercise, stop exercising- or knee replacement, the NP said she had a similar issue and went on a serious weight loss and strength training program. I dropped 20 pounds, changed my diet and do a lot of stretching, yoga and weight lifting. It's made a big difference and I no longer have pain after longer workouts.

I'm having an MRI in 12 hours exactly because of likely torn meniscus! This post has reassured me that maybe surgery won't be so bad (if it comes to that), so thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread