Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Maybe I will continue doing nothing about it, it seems stories are overwhelmingly mixed at best.

That's orthopaedic surgery in a nutshell though. Everyones skeleton and range of movement are different, and while ortho surgeries are becoming more tailored to the individual as time goes on, there is still very much a limited choice as to what they can do during each surgery. During a knee surgery, the surgeon may have a choice between dozens of different shapes and sizes of artificial knee, which sounds like a lot, but that's dozens of choices to account for the billions of unique knees on the planet. For some, the fit will be perfect and it'll be like having a real knee. Others won't be so perfect; it'll work well, but there'll always be some sensation of the implant or altered range of motion.

And although the surgery you might be in for is certainly less involved that a Total Knee, it's still an important surgery. Unless you're doctor says otherwise, it's very likely to get worse over time, especially if you continue with your very active lifestyle. And it won't be a question of you finally be fed up with it and then going for surgery, it will have progressed to a much worse point where a Total Knee might be the only answer instead of the comparatively benign surgery they offering you now. That will involve removing the patella, and gross sections of the mating surfaces of the femur and tibia. Far more recovery than a removal of plica and scar tissue. Talk to your doc again, and see if he can hook you up with someone who can get you in touch with any physio groups that have had the surgery you're looking at. You might be able to talk to some real people and find out what sort of outcomes they've had, especially if you can talk to those who had the surgery 5/10/20 years ago and see what their long-term results were.

We do knee arthro cases all the time at my hospital, and it's a fairly simple, quick surgery in most cases. All you'd likely end up with is some soreness, and a few small scars where the telescope was inserted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SpeedFreek posted:

I don't mean to hijack but at what point should I start worrying about this very thing? I'm 28 and the accident happened about 6 years ago this month.

Everyone is different, but ortho surgeries start to get more complicated at about age 40 or older. So you have some time to think about it, but if the doc is recommending surgery now, then now is the best time to go for it.

Even if the surgery goes swimmingly at a later age, recovery times for any surgery increase exponentially as you get older. What could be a multi-month recovery now could turn into a year plus when you get older.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WampaLord posted:

I had no idea it was controversial in any way until I saw this thread, I have nothing but good things to say for it.

It's not really "controversial", any more than any other surgery. Some surgeries work out great, others have very grim outcomes. Some are routine, but none are routine. Someone can survive being mangled in a car wreck and then operated on for 14 hours, another can die getting their tonsils out.

The only thing really guaranteed from surgery is that the outcome is never guaranteed.

• Locked thread