Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Valeant Pharmaceuticals CEO: We’re in Business of Shareholder Profit, not Helping the Sick

Pierson’s company is not in the business of curing disease and easing suffering. It exists to make big money for its shareholders, something that Pearson readily acknowledges: “[If] products are sort of mispriced and there’s an opportunity, we will act appropriately in terms of doing what I assume our shareholders would like us to do.” In “acting appropriately,” Valeant has raised the prices on several drugs this year – in some cases, as much as 800%.

http://ringoffireradio.com/2015/10/09/valeant-pharmaceuticals-ceo-were-in-business-of-shareholder-profit-not-helping-the-sick/

It's official, pharma CEOs are psychopaths. I knew it. So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IOuFCHfmmg, you told me they cared about us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nationalize healthcare

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

nationalize healthcare

But then lazy government employees will make the system inefficient!!!!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
they can send a man to the moon but they cant cure my gout

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tbf at least hes honest

shoot all pharma corp owners in the head and nationalise research, people are loving kidding themselves if they think you need a profit motive

nerds just love figuring things out or we wouldnt have people meticulously studying coal prices in 17th century east prussia just because

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CEOs are just as stupid as the average person.

Why? Would an intelligent person jack the prices so drastically then basically brag about it causing a public outcry and having the attention turn to them during an election year? gently caress no.

These people don't deserve the obscene wealth they have. There's no amount of work they are doing to justify it.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
something something r&d costs, spends half the budget on commercials, ho-hum.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

XMNN posted:

tbf at least hes honest

shoot all pharma corp owners in the head and nationalise research, people are loving kidding themselves if they think you need a profit motive

nerds just love figuring things out or we wouldnt have people meticulously studying coal prices in 17th century east prussia just because

big pharm companies spend about 50% of their operating budgets on marketing.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Shouldn't these jerks at least pretend to care about their customers like other companies do? I guess it doesn't matter, even if this guy got fired and publicly disgraced he's still worth more money than I'll ever see in multiple lifetimes on this cruel wheel of rebirth

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
good, I'm glad of it

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Privatize all industry, monetize every aspect of life

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

Shouldn't these jerks at least pretend to care about their customers like other companies do? I guess it doesn't matter, even if this guy got fired and publicly disgraced he's still worth more money than I'll ever see in multiple lifetimes on this cruel wheel of rebirth

their customers need to be hosed up and sick so no not really

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Moridin920 posted:

Why? Would an intelligent person jack the prices so drastically then basically brag about it causing a public outcry and having the attention turn to them during an election year? gently caress no.

These people don't deserve the obscene wealth they have. There's no amount of work they are doing to justify it.

Unless he was planning on short selling the stock, thereby making more money than he would as the CEO of a company with a horrible reputation and makers of a rarely-used drug.

That would make him a shrewd businessman.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

their customers need to be hosed up and sick so no not really

I love how this point gets glossed over when idiots spew talking points about competition and efficiency with regards to healthcare

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Capitalism

Property rights

Checkmate :colbert:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Sounds like the guy was just good at his job. Rich people are job creators, who ever gets hired by a poor person?

If you don't like this, you must have a problem with capitalism itself

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
What? I'm not allowed to sell something that I own, at a price of my choosing?

If I let you set the price, you'd ask for it to be free.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

It's aimed at the shareholders. Valeant stock dropped over 30% last month (because they are a poo poo company).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wait what 25 years and their patents expire anyway?

Play the long game

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
He's worth $1.5 billion thanks to his business model of slashing research budgets and buying other companies to jack up the prices on their existing drugs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

:gas: Wall Street and the world will be a better place.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Nationalize everything and kill everyone with a net worth over a billion

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

How about you people read Marx and post less

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
stupid sexy flanders

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

If you are starting to feel the spirit of liberation orienting you against capitalism, don't just start saying or doing stupid hyperbolic things like "hurrrrr kill all the bad rich mans"

Rather, the key to victory is

учиться!

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 9, 2015

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Bump

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

whoa

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
he was just increasing shareholder value you can't fault him for that!!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Right? Crazy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Could be syphilis. Take a picture and post it here

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

tetsuo posted:

he was just increasing shareholder value you can't fault him for that!!

If he wasn't good at his job, they would fire him and hire the next shark in line.

A man's gotta work

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
how shocking. i'm shocked. what a revelation. wow

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

Unless he was planning on short selling the stock, thereby making more money than he would as the CEO of a company with a horrible reputation and makers of a rarely-used drug.

That would make him a shrewd businessman.

sounds like insider trading to me

Pipski posted:

It's aimed at the shareholders. Valeant stock dropped over 30% last month (because they are a poo poo company).

if I was a shareholder I'd be pissed as gently caress that the CEO made a comment like that. there's no benefit to it. obviously the company wants profits above all else, we don't need that reiterated - not right after the biotech/pharma industry in general took a dump on the market after one comment from Hillary Clinton.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 11, 2015

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Nationalize the pharmaceuticals, how are life saving drugs still a for profit industry

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Aralan posted:

Nationalize the pharmaceuticals, how are life saving drugs still a for profit industry

Because THIS IS loving AMERICA.

Git out

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Aralan posted:

*mumbling*...inefficient, government waste...*mumbling*...bureaucrats instead of doctors...*incoherent mumbling*...DEATH PANELS!!!

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE

this poo poo loving depresses me and the only way i can think of to change it is literally start assassinating wealthy people

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Healthcare in America is hosed up - more at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Jk guys, it's actually cool and good that you can make a company insanely successful and profitable by destroying its ability to make new ways to cure illness and instead buy out other companies that are doing that so you can charge more for existing therapies

• Locked thread