Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Memo to the idiots trying to cure cancers: Maybe try to make some money for your corporation, dummies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

froward posted:

OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE

this poo poo loving depresses me and the only way i can think of to change it is literally start assassinating wealthy people

Read Marx

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused, is this a different person than the AIDS pill guy? Either way I'm posting this

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I used to think pharma conspiracy theorists who talked about a cure for cancer being suppressed for being unprofitable were crazy. At this point I'm pretty sure they're right though. I don't think we've discovered some magic bullet treatment for cancer and just not given it out, but at the same time I'm absolutely certain we could have and every pharmacorp that was working down that road either gave it up to sell their slipshod trash treatment, or got bought out by somebody like Valeant who sold their slipshod trash treatment for $800 a pill and fired their researchers

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i was listening to a radio 4 piece about that sort of thing and they literally said they werent looking at antibiotics and stuff because they generally make the patients better after a few weeks when the real profit is in making something that they have to take every day for the rest of their lives

i mean it does make total sense but it just means capitalism needs to be pushed out of healthcare (and off the planet tbf) for the good of mankind

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
It's about ethics in big pharma.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

But then lazy government employees will make the system inefficient!!!!

let's see how you poors like your public healthcare when you have to line up around the block to get the service you currently just can't get

or when government bureaucrats with zero vested interest in your health decide whether you live and die, as opposed to corporate executives who decide it based on which is cheaper for them

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
lol why can't there be a breed of liberals happy to own guns and who thirst for blood to cleanse this world

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Blue Train posted:

Privatize all industry, monetize every aspect of life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJo2EZW8yU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

tetsuo posted:

lol why can't there be a breed of liberals happy to own guns and who thirst for blood to cleanse this world

because the CIA diligently looks out for them wherever they appear and arranges for them to be seized by their local government and summarily executed

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
which is one of the few things they do right :911:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Industries where capitalism is good:

Car companies
Cell phone manufacturers
Grocery stores
Beer

Industries where capitalism is bad:

Healthcare/health insurance
Prisons
Schools

I am not a communist. This is just my controversial opinion. Furthermore,

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Melmac posted:

Industries where capitalism is good:

Car companies
Cell phone manufacturers
Grocery stores
Beer

lol that you think this

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Aralan posted:

Nationalize the pharmaceuticals, how are life saving drugs still a for profit industry

Lmao if you want to shift pharma to China.

It is true that what diseases pharma pursue is profit driven.
If there is an easy fix, there is a chance that basic research will get it done.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol that you think this
tbf we do have the lead on the soviet union in terms of consumer electronics

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

XMNN posted:

tbf we do have the lead on the soviet union in terms of consumer electronics

I'm just going to point out that the volkswagen is the result of corporatism

just saying

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I mean that's literally the reason it's called that

the people's car

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Any industry where choice is a meaningless concept is inherently a terrible one for capitalism to work in. This is why medicine doesn't work in it because for any diseases theres only a couple of drugs that will help with it so that company has a monopoly on that treatment by default and hence they can charge whatever the gently caress they want because you have no choice of where else to go for said drug.

This is why drug prices drop from like 2000 dollars per pill to 0.3 cents when the patent expires and a company starts making them at just over cost price rather than with the 30,000% markup.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Drone_Fragger posted:

Any industry where choice is a meaningless concept is inherently a terrible one for capitalism to work in. This is why medicine doesn't work in it because for any diseases theres only a couple of drugs that will help with it so that company has a monopoly on that treatment by default and hence they can charge whatever the gently caress they want because you have no choice of where else to go for said drug.

This is why drug prices drop from like 2000 dollars per pill to 0.3 cents when the patent expires and a company starts making them at just over cost price rather than with the 30,000% markup.

more to the point if you're having a heart attack you don't really have the luxury of calling around to decide which ambulance firm to get to take you to which hospital and in all likelihood you'll only have one real choice anyway

also that guy who woke up when paramedics were alerted to him unconscious on the side of the road after a motorcycle accident and was literally forced into an ambulance against his protestations and subsequently filed for bankruptcy after leaving the hospital with a bill for more than his salary which I believe is now in litigation lmfbo

Aug 4, 2010

good im glad, if u arent rich enough you dont deserve to live

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

www posted:

good im glad, if u arent rich enough you dont deserve to live

this but ironically

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

tetsuo posted:

They are called real leftists and also

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

because the CIA diligently looks out for them wherever they appear and arranges for them to be seized by their local government and summarily executed

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
"Dick, I'm very disappointed." -Valeant Pharmaceuticals CEO

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Moridin920 posted:

CEOs are just as stupid as the average person.

Why? Would an intelligent person jack the prices so drastically then basically brag about it causing a public outcry and having the attention turn to them during an election year? gently caress no.

These people don't deserve the obscene wealth they have. There's no amount of work they are doing to justify it.

it's so cute that you think anything can be done about this

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Aralan posted:

I used to think pharma conspiracy theorists who talked about a cure for cancer being suppressed for being unprofitable were crazy. At this point I'm pretty sure they're right though. I don't think we've discovered some magic bullet treatment for cancer and just not given it out, but at the same time I'm absolutely certain we could have and every pharmacorp that was working down that road either gave it up to sell their slipshod trash treatment, or got bought out by somebody like Valeant who sold their slipshod trash treatment for $800 a pill and fired their researchers

Oh no they wouldn't suppress knowledge of it, they'd sell the gently caress out of it and just slightly tweak it when the patent expires and just patent the new drug (cf. insulin)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

On Sept. 18 VRX was at $242

That's quite a huge dump even if they closed positive the day that your screenshot is from.

Also that gain just brings the share price back to where it was before Pearson made those comments and it sharply dropped by $20.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

Cuba has a lung cancer vaccine and has for years, its free there also iirc lol

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i think the next president should introduce a program to phase out evil and train employees in new fields.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Aralan posted:

Nationalize everything and kill everyone with a net worth over a billion

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Hooded Reptile posted:

something something r&d costs, spends half the budget on commercials, ho-hum.

lol theres a couple products they just buy from other manufacturers and resell with a different label at 500% markup

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Aralan posted:

Nationalize the pharmaceuticals, how are life saving drugs still a for profit industry

valeant is a canadian company

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh no they wouldn't suppress knowledge of it, they'd sell the gently caress out of it and just slightly tweak it when the patent expires and just patent the new drug (cf. insulin)

I love the line of conspiracy theory thinking where pharma corps are evil enough to suppress a cancer cure for profit, but not so evil as to overcharge for said cure.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

spacemang_spliff posted:

valeant is a canadian company

guess canada is kind of rude after all

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you don't hire anybody at your company that wants to make money, i feel as though your company won't make any money :shrug:

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
*horks a fat rail of monoatomic gold, which is pretty drat cheap*

LOL at all you pathetic big sickees!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

hi can you give me a startgin point thanks

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

tetsuo posted:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Moridin920 posted:

CEOs are just as stupid as the average person.

Why? Would an intelligent person jack the prices so drastically then basically brag about it causing a public outcry and having the attention turn to them during an election year? gently caress no.

These people don't deserve the obscene wealth they have. There's no amount of work they are doing to justify it.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

lonesomedwarf posted:

hi can you give me a startgin point thanks

this was a sincere request, pls do it, tia

• Locked thread