Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Participants in the discussion were told that the meeting was closed to the news media, but the mayor of D.C. listed the event as public and a Washington Post reporter entered with her entourage and observed more than three hours of the discussion.

Could the root cause be drugs? Guns? Gangs? Perhaps a little of each, said Chuck Wexler, a former top officer in Boston and head of the Police Executive Research Forum.

Wexler tried to sum up the day-long discussion for Lynch, who arrived near the end. But there was another problem, he told her, one that hits closer to home for the nation’s top cop.

“Perhaps the most difficult to calibrate, but the most significant,” he said, “is this notion of a reduction in proactive policing.”

Police chiefs and elected leaders from Baltimore, Chicago, New York and St. Louis were more blunt:

“We have allowed our police department to get fetal and it is having a direct consequence,” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel told Lynch. “They have pulled back from the ability to interdict … they don’t want to be a news story themselves, they don’t want their career ended early, and it’s having an impact.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._national_pop_b

lol cops are scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Hooded Reptile posted:

Participants in the discussion were told that the meeting was closed to the news media, but the mayor of D.C. listed the event as public and a Washington Post reporter entered with her entourage and observed more than three hours of the discussion.

Could the root cause be drugs? Guns? Gangs? Perhaps a little of each, said Chuck Wexler, a former top officer in Boston and head of the Police Executive Research Forum.

Wexler tried to sum up the day-long discussion for Lynch, who arrived near the end. But there was another problem, he told her, one that hits closer to home for the nation’s top cop.

“Perhaps the most difficult to calibrate, but the most significant,” he said, “is this notion of a reduction in proactive policing.”

Police chiefs and elected leaders from Baltimore, Chicago, New York and St. Louis were more blunt:

“We have allowed our police department to get fetal and it is having a direct consequence,” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel told Lynch. “They have pulled back from the ability to interdict … they don’t want to be a news story themselves, they don’t want their career ended early, and it’s having an impact.”

lol cops are scared
good.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
I lust for cop death.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Am I being detained? Am I being detained?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
they could learn something from firefighters who are universally respected and lusted after despite being equally dumb and likely racist.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
:qq: what if someone films me being a piece of poo poo

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

brave heros

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Imagine if a teacher or nurse said "I'm afraid of people seeing me or filming me while working because if everyone saw it, the public backlash would destroy my career"

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
idgi can't you aggressively police without encounters themselves being aggressive battles for dominance?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe cops should stop being assholes, if they dont want to be filmed being assholes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
who am i kidding, the solution to this is going to be to make it illegal to film the police

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
if you aren't doing anything wrong, what have you got to fear hmmmm???

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Ben Murphy posted:

:hehe:

Riots cure cops.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Ben Murphy posted:

Agreed. Police should be able to film everyone else at all times.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

XMNN posted:

:qq: what if someone films me being a piece of poo poo

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol we have mass shootings every week and no one even reports gang violence because of how astronomically high the death tolls are but here we are complaining about cops again, jesus loving christ.

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

Proactive policing doesn't mean terrorizing citizens based on appearance.

"Wahhhhh, I can't harass minorities as easily we're basically fetal"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hooded Reptile posted:

lol cops are scared

i fail to see the problem here, please help me out amerigoons

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

a bone to pick posted:

Lol we have mass shootings every week and no one even reports gang violence because of how astronomically high the death tolls are but here we are complaining about cops again, jesus loving christ.
Perhaps because we have an absurd number of people behind bars to the point where if it wasn't so normalized in our culture we'd realize history books are going to treat it like a massive human rights violation. In terms of pure scale there's not many events that can even compare in terms of number of people affected by our prison industrial complex.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So, is it basically them saying they're not going to do their jobs because it might look bad? Is that it?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
From 1980 to 2008, the number of people incarcerated in America quadrupled-from roughly 500,000 to 2.3 million people
Today, the US is 5% of the World population and has 25% of world prisoners.
Combining the number of people in prison and jail with those under parole or probation supervision, 1 in ever y 31 adults, or 3.2 percent of the population is under some form of correctional control

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hooded Reptile posted:

lol cops are scared

isn't this, like, axiomatic?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
a bunch of whiny pissbabies in blue

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Scared piglets making GBS threads and pissing as they murder black mans

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Obligatory Handle posted:

I lust for cop death.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the police are good and cool

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Whose loving career has ended because of a youtube video that was not like "holy poo poo that cop is an rear end in a top hat".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Perhaps because we have an absurd number of people behind bars to the point where if it wasn't so normalized in our culture we'd realize history books are going to treat it like a massive human rights violation. In terms of pure scale there's not many events that can even compare in terms of number of people affected by our prison industrial complex.

Also people in prison disappear. We don't ever see them. They are hidden. They do not exist. Goodbye prisoners. Out of sight, out of mind.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Darren Wilson literally did nothing wrong and his career has been ruined by liberal outrage over a violent criminal grabbing a cop's gun and being shot in the process

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also people in prison disappear. We don't ever see them. They are hidden. They do not exist. Goodbye prisoners. Out of sight, out of mind.

LMFAO EXCEPT FOR MSNBC THANK YOU MSNBC FOR YOUR JAILHOUSE DOCUMENTARIES

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

even more hosed up is what happens to good cops who try to rat out shitbag cops

spoiler alert: a bunch of high ranking pigs showed up at this guys apartment and basically had him forcibly committed to a psychiatric hospital (something that's normally impossible to do with an adult who isnt actually in the middle of a suicide attempt). luckily he had tape recorders rolling in his apartment too.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2015

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

i fail to see the problem here, please help me out amerigoons

There is no problem . Hearing cops bitch about the fear of being held accountable for their actions is good.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

haljordan posted:

spoiler alert: a bunch of high ranking pigs showed up at this guys apartment and basically had him forcibly committed to a psychiatric hospital (something that's normally impossible to do with an adult who isnt actually in the middle of a suicide attempt). luckily he had tape recorders rolling in his apartment too.
didn't he win a couple hundred grand in the court case recently?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
just lol at an entire room full of people who's job it is to handle crime seeing an increase in crime and not one of them suggesting that poverty and crime go hand in hand and we've been making everyone poorer and poorer. No it's clearly public backlash against police officers abusing authority or drugs, has nothing to do with a bunch of people who weren't given a reasonable shot at life not having anywhere to turn to.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

But for hours preceding that, mayors, police chiefs, U.S. attorneys and even FBI Director James Comey privately vented in a Washington ballroom that they don’t really understand the alarming spike in murders and applause filled the room when mayors said police officers’ sinking morale could be a factor.

HAHAHAHAHA.

"If the general public doesn't suck our dicks 24/7 and let us blow off steam with violence and abuse toward vulnerable innocents whenever we want with total impunity, we stop doing our jobs."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Imagine if a teacher or nurse said "I'm afraid of people seeing me or filming me while working because if everyone saw it, the public backlash would destroy my career"

Sorry to let you know this but taking video is prohibited in many hospitals and schools and part of the reason is to make liability lawsuits more difficult to substantiate.

If I was a cop I would be really tired of half aggressive people who don't like me putting a camera on me every time I'm not in my car. But I'm not a cop so I don't care.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

tetsuo posted:

didn't he win a couple hundred grand in the court case recently?

shoulda been a couple hundred million imo

edit: this guy lives near me, he won a settlement and got a cop fired, a good day for america

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Obligatory Handle posted:

I lust for cop death.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

haljordan posted:

spoiler alert: a bunch of high ranking pigs showed up at this guys apartment and basically had him forcibly committed to a psychiatric hospital (something that's normally impossible to do with an adult). luckily he had tape recorders rolling in his apartment too.

the only people police abuse more than black citizens are cops who decide to actually be good

also find one of the many stories where college kids caught with weed are basically blackmailed into shady deals and prostitution to bust perps, then left to fend for themselves after the cops finished up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I want to poop on cops because my poops are like xenomorph poops so they melt through their chest walls.

• Locked thread