Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't expect a cliffhanger, especially since it has already had a live action adaptation. haven't found info in English on the series as a whole though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Looked into it, yeah, it's a series of a self-contained mysteries. Interestingly, Perfect Insider was itself planned to be the 4th book, but editorial shuffled it around and it became the first.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That was pretty good but drat the almost straight novel adaptation feel of it is going to make the pacing feel ponderous. I really liked the dialogue, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What is F, and why are things turning that way?

This is an actual question.

I have not watched the show yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

F is hosed. Everything becomes hosed is a good engrish title for what eventually becomes a mass serial murder mystery.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since this seems like it involves computers, couldn't it be something computer related? Like, isn't F used in hexadecimals or something?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WitchFetish posted:

Since this seems like it involves computers, couldn't it be something computer related? Like, isn't F used in hexadecimals or something?

Hexadesmals or base 16 numbers are written out using 0-9 and then a, b, c, d, e, f. The F stands for 16.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hexadesmals or base 16 numbers are written out using 0-9 and then a, b, c, d, e, f. The F stands for 16.

F is 15.

My theory on the title is that it's a binary conversion to hex. 1111 = 15 in binary = F. If we ever see something involving four true/false questions, then I'll feel more sure about this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

F is 15.

I'm a dumb, thank you.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I liked ep. 1 it vaguely reminds me of Un-Go for some reason. Here's to hoping it'll be a interesting season.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Perfect Hipts... Insider 01

In summary, a bit too hipsterish with sophomoric attempts of existentialism that gives a bit of cringe because they don't feel earned, but put in your face from characters you barely know. I mean, for example it was ok with the old guy remembering what happened, in that scene it makes sense, he is reminiscing of the entire life of a person, but it doesn't feel natural with the young professor does it.

Ok

Not ok. First thing in the morning you start talking about continuity of conciousness, really?

"From where." "From this world".
Give me a break!

But attempts of philosophy aside, the character's design from Asano are good and feel unique, the series looks good (a bit muted, an interesting contrast to Bones-Sherlock), and more importantly, the mystery is intriguing and it seems the entire series will be dedicated to it, instead of spreading too thin into several arcs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A character being pretentious and arrogant doesn't mean the show is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought he was supposed to come across as both very smart and lodged firmly up his own rear end.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It is tradition for detectives to be philosophical weirdoes, or at least be under the influence of drugs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's kind of impressive, the main determining factor in whether people like the show seems to be whether they think the characters' views are the author's or whether they think the author is presenting the characters as not very good people. I'm in the latter camp, personally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Not very good people' is a bit strong, so far anyone's greatest crime is 'being a bit pretentious'. Which is only really a crime if you're an indie game developer.

e: obviously not including murderer lady

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

once you recognize the secret reason for her murder, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm just gonna pretend the people spouting high school philosophy are just stoned as hell, as I would in real life.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The guy who's doing the screenplay just did Gatchaman Crowds Insight, it's pretty obvious that we aren't meant to take Saikawa seriously.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

A character being pretentious and arrogant doesn't mean the show is.

In a nutshell. He's just a weird guy with a weird level of obsession with that genius lady. Maybe that imagery will make sense eventually?

On the show being heavily based on computers, I'm pretty computers are going to be very important somehow. The ED was all sylized computer stuff. The fact that a giant chunk of it contained various versions of Conway's Game of Live simulation may or may not be important thematically. But as far as the F in the title (which is 15 in hex as mentioned), I have no idea. It'll maybe make sense as things move along, but nothing in the first episode had anything to do with computers, so...

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 12, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seems very plausible that computers will tie into it somehow, plus the Game of Life is cool anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All the guys in this show are full of poo poo and all the and all the girls are wild carnivores. The luggage stuff was great, as was the disdainful looks her car got. I have no clue what the rest of the show is going on about but I want to keep watching!

Side thing: I just learned that the author also wrote The Sky Crawlers, which Oshii made into a real good movie.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Seems very plausible that computers will tie into it somehow, plus the Game of Life is cool anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

Cellular automata as a topic is really cool. I made a simple CA simulation in java with a different ruleset that happened to look like amoeba eating each other.

I wish I hadn't accidentally wiped it when I scrubbed my desktop...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Welp.

I guess we have our murder. So far lots of apparent alibis, huh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So is Magata supposed to be the corpse here? For all intents, the setup seems to have been that it was a perfect closed room. So I'm guess thats not really a corpse. Which will sort of go along with the extra exposition added into the interview

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So is Magata supposed to be the corpse here? For all intents, the setup seems to have been that it was a perfect closed room. So I'm guess thats not really a corpse. Which will sort of go along with the extra exposition added into the interview

Looked like a doll to me, so maybe she really is an AI or something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

called it!!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's theory 2. moe is the imouto of magata

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some really heavy imagery in the car + scenes intending to evoke connections between moe and magata as well

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

some really heavy imagery in the car + scenes intending to evoke connections between moe and magata as well

yeah, i really liked their mirror monologues. i can't see how Magata wouldn't be an AI at this point, which makes the story immediately more interesting

i have no idea what's up with the girl who keeps asking what words are though, if any of the seminar kids matter anymore.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

dogsicle posted:

yeah, i really liked their mirror monologues. i can't see how Magata wouldn't be an AI at this point, which makes the story immediately more interesting

i have no idea what's up with the girl who keeps asking what words are though, if any of the seminar kids matter anymore.

she represents the audience asking questions about the mystery

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thought she was an exchange student

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

yeah I got the impression she didn't speak very good japanese and that dude is like her host

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it just seems like a weird thing to include but not actually address, though being foreign is the obvious guess

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Sure is a lot of not killing people going on in this murder mystery.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Sure is a lot of not killing people going on in this murder mystery.

I see you are unfamiliar with Agatha Christie novels.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

i thought she was an exchange student

Her name was Wu, might be Chinese.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That episode was... weird? Not totally sure what to think of it. Lots of very intentional parallels between Shiki and Moe, though I don't see the point yet. The side characters, mainly the other students, are all very flat so far. The ending was really strange and didn't make much sense at all. I think they dropped the ball on this episode.

The OP and ED are still goddamn amazing, though, so I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ViggyNash posted:

That episode was... weird? Not totally sure what to think of it. Lots of very intentional parallels between Shiki and Moe, though I don't see the point yet. The side characters, mainly the other students, are all very flat so far. The ending was really strange and didn't make much sense at all. I think they dropped the ball on this episode.
I'm not sure what you mean. This was a very traditional "poo poo is happening, here we present all the mysteries that will be solved through the rest of the series" episode. They're setting up the rules that the mystery will play by, including a very explicit closed room.

I haven't read the novel or seen the drama so I can't say for sure, but my money's on Magata having been dead for a lot longer than a day.

• Locked thread