Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I suspect that Saikawa is too much of a coward to flat out reject Nishinosono even though he and everyone around them can tell she is into him. He isn't really one of those standard emotionally dense geniuses, but he deflects like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn dudes, they haven't even found the first body yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

I'm predicting that there are no bodies

It says in the op that they find one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He might be a big old jerk, he might just not know how to let her down easy. Heck, he might just have a problem with dating students in general, not that it is very likely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought he was supposed to come across as both very smart and lodged firmly up his own rear end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

This is not weekend at bernies, come on.

If not, it should be. Most murder mysteries would be improved by that premise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Is the director's wife even at the facility, or supposed to be? I don't remember any mention of her, but I could just have forgotten it.

My initial reaction is that's too easy an answer. This show is working very hard to not be a run of the mill mystery and that just seems too generic.

e: Goddamit I want episode 4 right now! :argh:

She already appeared in episode 3.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is weird how the majority of the people there are complete nonentities. All the scientists and security guards are simply too dull to suspect of anything. It is also strange how no one seems to question why Magata was subjected to solitary confinement for 15 years after being found not guilty of murder. Like, all that is obviously to set up the locked room murder, but what was the justification for it? It wasn't like Magata was some superhuman killing machine.

Also, it seems terribly unlikely that the person Moe spoke to was ever in that room. Whether it was the "sister" or Magata who was locked in there, it was the other one who gave all those interviews. Personally, I think that the timing was deliberate but had nothing to do with the visitors to the island. Absolutely no one saw Magata until the supposed sister was old enough to pass for her on camera. Alternately, no one saw the sister until she was old enough to pass for Magata's corpse. I'm still not sure which of the two is dead and what the point of it all was, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Multiple personalities ehhhhhh..... Lots of information this episode, but I haven't a clue any more.

Sheesh, the second worst plot device after time travel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Michiru is the most interesting clue yet. They've established that it can lock the door, but not open or close it. So, while it was capable of doing all sorts of interesting things, it couldn't have thoroughly cleaned the apartment alone. It just doesn't have the range of motion, not to mention the height necessary to dust all the shelves in there. It also probably doesn't have the strength necessary to cut off or move limbs around, what with how its manipulator was effortlessly held in place. So, even if it was somehow able to lift Magata's torso and stick her on the cart, it couldn't have gone into the bedroom and closed the door behind it.
The big mystery is still if and how there was someone else in that room, though. There wasn't a spare cart, a walk-in freezer, or any of the other simple solutions to be found in there. So, someone dressed Magata's body in the wedding dress and put it on the cart and they did so recently. Then they left the room. The most obvious way for someone to escape is to hide in the cart under the wedding dress, but that doesn't explain how they got in there. Was there someone else living in there all along?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If he had researched multiple personalities at all, he probably wouldn't have used it in a novel because the reality isn't very interesting. We are probably supposed to take this particular bit of bullshit at face value.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is also possible that her limbs were removed simply to prevent anyone from checking her fingerprints. The legs were also removed to mask the purpose. It may be that the body appearing to be Magata would be enough for it to be identified as her if fingerprints were unavailable. I can't remember dental records ever being used in other terrible anime murder mysteries for some reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think I like the op of the show far more than the show itself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, this whole scenario is contrived as hell. It kind of has to be, as otherwise there would be no murder mystery to solve.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neeerrrrrrrd

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't really think it applies here, but resolving a mystery with "bitch be crazy" is never a good idea.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No one spelled it out all at once, but people in this thread picked up on pretty much every salient point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Magata had a lot of weird character traits that didn't directly affect the mystery. The story was just as much a character study as it was a mystery, anyway.

• Locked thread