Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

A character being pretentious and arrogant doesn't mean the show is.

In a nutshell. He's just a weird guy with a weird level of obsession with that genius lady. Maybe that imagery will make sense eventually?

On the show being heavily based on computers, I'm pretty computers are going to be very important somehow. The ED was all sylized computer stuff. The fact that a giant chunk of it contained various versions of Conway's Game of Live simulation may or may not be important thematically. But as far as the F in the title (which is 15 in hex as mentioned), I have no idea. It'll maybe make sense as things move along, but nothing in the first episode had anything to do with computers, so...

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Seems very plausible that computers will tie into it somehow, plus the Game of Life is cool anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

Cellular automata as a topic is really cool. I made a simple CA simulation in java with a different ruleset that happened to look like amoeba eating each other.

I wish I hadn't accidentally wiped it when I scrubbed my desktop...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That episode was... weird? Not totally sure what to think of it. Lots of very intentional parallels between Shiki and Moe, though I don't see the point yet. The side characters, mainly the other students, are all very flat so far. The ending was really strange and didn't make much sense at all. I think they dropped the ball on this episode.

The OP and ED are still goddamn amazing, though, so I'm happy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. This was a very traditional "poo poo is happening, here we present all the mysteries that will be solved through the rest of the series" episode. They're setting up the rules that the mystery will play by, including a very explicit closed room.

I haven't read the novel or seen the drama so I can't say for sure, but my money's on Magata having been dead for a lot longer than a day.

Unless they explain all the theatrics with Magata's makeup-ed body in a wedding dress being on the Pi and doing pirouetteswhile the lights flashed ominously after all the doors open of their own accord, none of that ending makes much sense at all.

But other than that, I think the episode shouldn't have spent so much time on the side characters. It didn't bother to develop them or make them mechanically a part of the story. Also, beyond what we learned in the first episode, Nishinosono's motivations aren't very clear. All of those parallels with Magata are just thrown out there with no context, as if the only point was to leave you totally confused. It does develop Magata somewhat, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

It sort of feels like they're trying to rush some elements of the story instead of drip-feeding us information as we go along.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I guess I was supposed to be terrifying, but it came off as silly to me. I don't think the theatrics had the impact they wanted it to, at least for me and some other people. It just could have been presented better.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the actual trying-to-be-spooky part of the episode was okay, but i think the lead-up already gave an unsettling enough atmosphere. everything about the lab is very sterile and isolated. when they ask somebody to bring medicine, it's instead delivered down a dark hallway by a robotic cart, and not only the lab but the entire island is established as the "closed room."

This is one aspect of the episode I really liked. The whole facility has a sense of not really being alive, let along feeling sterile, and the scale of the way they draw the ocean and the city in the distance really sells a sense of isolation.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
A whole of of speculation and basic investigation from the characters, along with a bunch of setup. I really like the presentation of the whole thing, and the editing, especially for the flashback scenes, is really good. There's nothing definitive to say at this point since we're still not in the thick of things, but my primary suspect is Yamane. Everyone else seems calm compared to him. Somehow his demeanor just doesn't feel totally genuine. Also, he has full access to Red Magic. That's all super tentative though.

Also that ending was pretty :yikes: despite what we'd been shown of her relationship to her uncle in episode 2.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

It seems almost trivially easy that Magata's sister killed the director before landing the helicopter

Myriad Truths posted:

There's no proof that he was ever alive by the time he reached the island

Yes, because dead men can give thumbs ups.

:psyduck:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 23, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Absolutely they can. A corpse doesn't have much say in what somebody might do with the body afterward.

Oh of course. She was totally pupeteering his hand using her world class puppeteer skills. Good job, buddy!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

But you have to confess it was a weird scene. He was told something as shocking as there has been a murder, and it was their special genius even, but he stays there sit down and still, just doing a hand gesture as acknowledgment. He definitively doesn't show surprise in his face. I don't know. The normal thing would be to get out of the helicopter to talk directly and ask what the hell is going on, even if only for one minute.

I think maybe he was already wounded in that moment? Something like that?

I also wonder if the video conference the protagonist had with the genius was real or fake. What if she was already dead at that moment, and the video footage and answers was a simulation done by their AI, which was created by her? Of course it depends of the technological level of the setting, and how much genius she was.

I'll concede that there was definitely something off there. I made the assumption initially that he's just a very pragmatic dude and the best expression he could have was a bit of sweat on his face. I'm going to stay with that assumption for now.

Phlogistic posted:

That's not to say that he was definitely alive when the helicopter landed, or even took off, with what we know at this point. For example, the 'director' who landed the helicopter could have been a fake, with the darkness helping to conceal the differences.

Edit: Alternatively, he was alive but being threatened when he landed - you can see what looks like sweat on his face.

If an impostor was flying the heli, then that means both the sister and a third individual are all involved. That seems less likely. he sister forcing the director to fly under duress is a better possibility, because it doesn't change the details much. However, why would she need to fly him there under duress if the whole point of the director going to pick her up was to bring her to the facility? It's not like he had a reason to not come since they couldn't get to him by radio.

I really think you guys are overthinking that scene.

A bit of speculation: The main reason to kill the director was to stop him getting off the island and alerting the police. If the helicopter ends up being sabotaged as well, that would confirm my theory. But I'll ask the same thing I asked in episode 2: Why the theatrics? Why chop off Magata's limbs and dress her up, and why stab the director through the neck with multiple swords/large knives, and leave them there? Assuming it's not spectacle for spectacle's sake, it's either a scare tactic to cause something else to happen, or it's symbolic somehow.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is the director's wife even at the facility, or supposed to be? I don't remember any mention of her, but I could just have forgotten it.

My initial reaction is that's too easy an answer. This show is working very hard to not be a run of the mill mystery and that just seems too generic.

e: Goddamit I want episode 4 right now! :argh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

She already appeared in episode 3.

Oh. Right.

She seemed so unimportant that she didn't register.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy gently caress show, gimme something to work with.

Here's what I've got.

Even though it doesn't quite match the ability of its sci-fi counterparts, Michiru is a top of the line creation by today's standards. On top of that, it seems Magata designed and built it all herself.

...right?

The show drew attention to the living room, which contained a sofa and two armchairs, and the dining room which has 2 chairs at the table. Magata and her alternate personalities have enough self-awareness to understand that there is only one body; in the bathroom scene, she implies early on that the alternate personalities do not perceive themselves as having a body. There's only two ways the explain the extra seating: 1) It's purely aesthetic, perhaps in order to recreate some other apartment. This suggests a distinct attachment to something in the past, which given all the flashbacks is very likely. 2) There has been another person there, probably for a long time. Perhaps her eventual killer? Given what was written in the readme, her murder seems to have been premeditated by Magata herself in some way. (It's also possible that, 3) She's also schizophrenic on top of having alter egos, which would be loving stupid without a very well defined reason for it. Unlikely, in my opinion.)

One of the most interesting parts of the episode is Magata's bedroom. There's a whole lot of stuff that's representative of childhood, and even apart from that the room has a harsh aesthetic that's distinct from the sterile cleanliness of the rest of the living space. The fact that Michiru was told to lock the door to the bedroom from the inside also supports the idea that Magata somehow planned all this, and that she wanted to lock that room away as if she didn't want people to see the inner personality the room suggests.

I suppose it's also possible that the killer told Michiru to lock the door. The only possibility I can think of given what we have is that maybe the Uncle is the killer and he locked the room for Magata since he understands her and probably understands why she would want it locked away.

Despite the info-dumping, there's still a lot more we need to know to make sense of this whole mess. They're definitely holding back important elements about Magata's past that they're gonna drip-feed us as the show progresses.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 30, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

On the other other hand, an anime that's pretentious enough to reference the random stuff this show has should probably be able to Wikipedia the difference between Multiple Personality Disorder and Schizophrenia.

Hiroshi Mori, author of the original 1996 novel that the anime is based on, used to be a research scientist,an associate professor, and has a Doctorate in Engineering. (Info from Wikipedia)

I highly doubt he's bullshitting the stuff he writes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lestaki posted:

Saying an engineer has a sound understanding of mental illness feels like as much of a reach as asking a psychologist to design a bridge. But I'll reserve judgement until the end of the show.

I'm not saying he has a sound understanding of psychology, but he does have a demonstrable history of researching skills. I'd trust him to handle mental health better than the average writer.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Nearly all the psych analysis they discussed in this episode are concepts that I've been researching for a psychology paper.

:tinfoil:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm also much more on board with Magata's multiple personalities now that it's clear it's meant to be closer to be closer to imaginary friends than the actual mental disorder usually known as multiple personalities. It fits better with the themes they've been working with from the start, and the argument this episode was a really good pay off.

To inform this a bit, an average person's personality is surprisingly multi-faceted, but most people never show more than their usual self because personality is so dependent on context. Moat people are just so good at controlling their environment that they never encounter a context that could bring out their alternate personalities. (See the Zimbardo Experiment, Gladwell's "Power of Context")

What Saikawa was saying about Magata's purity make a kind of rhetorical sense. She was so fully aware of her own psychology that she never merged her various personalities like normal people do, and could access any of them without context. This is probably impossible in real life, but it makes for pretty good hard sci-fi.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 6, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

Saikawa is far from a neutral observer, though. I think much of what he's saying is really in the context of his own situation. He envies Magata's boldness and notoriety, he wants to place someone who he considers a personal hero on a bit of a pedestal.

That's definitely part of it. He's in denial, but a weird kind of self-aware denial. He seems to see himself as a lesser human as a result, since he considers her the perfect human. I wonder why he developed such a mindset though.

Fangz posted:

Crazy theory time (if I make enough of these one must surely be right):

The point that the doll, unlike the other personalities, was not based on a dead person makes me think. What if the doll did do the murder? How it might work is, say, if the doll contained a speaker or such device, that someone might use to give Magata instructions, that she would mistake as her own thoughts through the Michuru personality. It might be significant that the doll was destroyed following the murder.

I am 90% sure "doll" is meant figuratively in direct relation to the Michiru personality. It would be really weird if the show went for a convoluted mechanical solution after all of its psych talk and philosobabble. Also by Ocham's Razer it just makes more sense that Magata is just that unhinged.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

Also 'just unhinged' would be disappointing, I think there are clear rules being shown to us.

There can be rules behind the insanity of insane people. That doesn't make them less insane from the perspective of the non-insane.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, the elevator...

Here's the thing, we don't know for sure that the killer actually took the elevator, only that it moved to the roof from the basement. That could just as easily mean someone on the roof called the elevator. That raises a bunch of other questions though. It's probably not circumstantial given that it was a cliffhanger reveal.

The assumption we're meant to make is that the killer used the darkness to sneak in. However, everyone would have noticed if the door open unless it's a super stealthy elevator door. It's therefore more plausible that someone else called it from the roof. If so, then how is that person related to the killer? Perhaps the killer somehow already got in and out of the room without being spotted, and was up on the roof when the fiasco started. Why? :shrug: Something interesting to note is that the elevator still worked despite the lights going out and the other shenanigans.

One final possibility, and it's more of a speculative theory right now, is that the elevator was moved by Deborah. We know that Magata had already written a newer version of the code than what anyone else was aware of. It's possible that she, or possibly someone else hardcoded this bizarre event to happen for some purpose, including the movement of the elevator. Breadcrumbs, perhaps?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I might agree with you but the theatrics with Magata's dismembered body are too intentional and involved to be a lucky accident for the killer. The Director's murder could easily be construed as non-premeditated however.

Speculation: Perhaps the appearance of Moe and Saikawa threw a wrench in the killer's plan. Let's say that the killer has someone planted in the police whose job was to "handle" the problem brought to them by the director. However, Moe told the director to talk to a powerful relative in the bureau, which would have bypassed the plant. So, the killer had to take out the director before he could fly off.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Seeing as the corpse has only just started to smell, I'm starting to think the arms and legs might have been cut off to put the body in the fridge/freezer until it was ready.

Oooh, that's an idea. My issue is that people would have noticed that the body was frozen. Also, it would be unlikely that a regular freezer would be able to cryofreeze a body to the point where it does not decay at all. I don't know the science of it but it feels unlikely, although possible.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I take that back. The very last part of this most recent episode is pretty key. Huh? Am I right? The director's wife. She's gotta be completely bat-poo poo crazy at this point having experienced what she did. The reason Magata's body was dismembered will be related to that incident. I think.

Yea, I was wondering about that. If she saw everything, why present it as she did? A severe case of denial modifying her memories maybe? Or is she more involved than she presents herself to be?

Dan7el posted:

Also, Magata's company is a bunch of sleaze bags. It's interesting to think about though. They're on this remote island, with no police presence. Really, you could potentially do just about anything to anyone. Who would know if no one reported it? I keep thinking they should dispatch the police guy from Beautiful Bones to take care of this issue.

The sensei is going to run out of cigarettes soon. When he does', he'll solve the mystery -- if only to get back to a cigarette machine ASAP.

Actually that doesn't seem all that off-base to me. Companies cut corners to do business on a regular basis, it's just that in this situation both the nature of the business and the nature of the problem are both on an extreme scale.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as mystery/thriller stuff goes, this and Monster are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

.Clash posted:

http://baku89.com/article/2394 "Behind the scenes" of the ED by the guy who made it.

I really like when this show gets visual. Too bad the other 90% is like staring at a wall.

I immediately bookmarked that and I'm probably going to spend my winter break rewriting that CA simulator I wrote and accidentally deleted.

As for the show looking like staring at a wall, yea I have to agree with you. This show has some rather lifeless directing and its color palate really doesn't help. No idea what to make of that Space Odessey epiphany scene though. At least it was more interesting than most of the show's visuals.

Pringleton posted:

Rather than the sister theory, I'm kinda leaning towards that far out, she was pregnant when she went in theory. And perhaps even a step further, noting that they commented on how young the body looked, that the dismembered body is neither Magata, nor her sister, but rather her daughter.

This theory is growing on me.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 28, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

What surprised me the utmost in this episode was the reference to Unix. Who uses Unix any more? It's Linux, right? Am I right?

FYI, Unix is to Linux what MS-DOS is to Windows.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

What.

You know, every BSD system is Unix. Real Unix. It's not some dead thing a few companies are hanging onto, it's just another OS family.

I meant the DOS prompt, not actual MS DOS, my bad.

My point is it's just a scripting shell that lets you do a whole lot of stuff with a computer without any of the graphical OS stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ooohkay, looks like I've got this poo poo totally confused in my head.

• Locked thread