Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one per cent,' namely the Jews, to the progressive war on the American one per cent, namely the 'rich.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my caveman brain likes having fire in the house

same.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 14, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Triglav posted:

there are different coffees and different ways of making coffee, just as there are different foods and different ways of making food. some of these ways are bad (i.e. they dont require gas)

using an aeropress, some people heat the water in a tea kettle. other people might microwave the water lol. other people might not heat the water at all because they like it room temp or cold. you push the water down through the grind to make your coffee. the contraption looks like a coffee bong or coffee penis pump

moka pots work by pushing heated water up through the grind to make coffee. they make electric moka pots if you live in the developing world without gas. they're like a more complex tea kettle

turkish coffee is made with the grind and water in the same pot. they work on electric stoves but the coffee's not as good. turkish coffee requires balancing the coffee's rise against the even heat of your cooking surface, finishing by moving the pot in and out of the heat source so the coffee can rise and fall multiple times. the traditional method involves placing the coffee pot in heated sand, but it works well on round stove-top burners

hope this heklps

sounds needlessly complicated. would rather just make isntant. thanks it heklped

also gas ovens... the knobs are always loose

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's already the case in every sane city in the world. the department of buildings responds to reports of illegal occupancy. prop F is actually way better than that. you can actually sue your neighbors for their horrid bullshit, and line your own pockets with their ill-gotten, community-despoiling gains.

also, on a personal note, gently caress you and your disgusting nerd tenements, shadowhawk. you are why we have to have building inspectors and pass restrictive laws in the first place.

:drat: this is why i signed up for YOSPOS :popcorn: epic

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

protip you can report your neighbors under prop F and the city will be forced to send an inspector and bill your neighbor for their time, and even if they've never used AirBNB and you were making it all up there will be no consequences for you whatsoever

good, gently caress the neighbors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

:drat: this is why i signed up for YOSPOS :popcorn: epic

yeah in case you missed it, shadowhawk first moved into, then ended up running, an illegal hotel for techies. his dirty business is exactly what prop F is trying to destroy

they stuff like 30 desperate loving nerds in a 4 bedroom house by filling every room with bunkbeds. i cannot imagine the squalor. or odor.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who are you to stand in the way of profits

he's just doing what we all want to but can't

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

who are you to stand in the way of profits

he's just doing what we all want to but can't

i can rent pieces of my house to desperate creeps, but i'm not so broke that defrauding my landlord, pissing off my neighbors, and breaking the law all at the same time sounds like a good idea

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm sure some of his more enterprising tenants have themselves posted their rooms on airbnb so they can take on a few roomies to help offset their rental costs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but i'm not so broke that defrauding my landlord, pissing off my neighbors, and breaking the law all at the same time sounds like a good idea

tbf neither is shadowhawk, he's making a profit off this remember?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah in case you missed it, shadowhawk first moved into, then ended up running, an illegal hotel for techies. his dirty business is exactly what prop F is trying to destroy

they stuff like 30 desperate loving nerds in a 4 bedroom house by filling every room with bunkbeds. i cannot imagine the squalor. or odor.

Oh I'm up to speed. I just enjoyed your piercing invective

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i can rent pieces of my house to desperate creeps, but i'm not so broke that defrauding my landlord, pissing off my neighbors, and breaking the law all at the same time sounds like a good idea

where did the pissing off the neighbours thing come from?

also what laws?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

also what laws?

why do you think short term rentals are regulated in most places? turns out people don't like their neighbours running flophouses because of the kind of disruption it causes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

also what laws?

both these questions have the same answer: operating an unregulated hotel in a residential area is illegal and your neighbors will hate you

hotel guests are associated with activities that i don't really want happening in my apartment building: they party, do drugs, steal poo poo, get drunk, gently caress hookers, etc

there's a reason you can't find hotels in really hip residential neighborhoods. nobody wants to live next to that poo poo.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I can't believe how crazy expensive this airbnb poo poo is in here lol

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

echinopsis posted:

sounds needlessly complicated. would rather just make isntant. thanks it heklped

also gas ovens... the knobs are always loose

it no more complex youre just afraid of the unknown. but lol if you'd rather spend 15 seconds stirring instant coffee than 60 seconds preparing turkish. if you can't dedicate a minute to having an enjoyable experience, stop debasing yourself with instant coffee and just drink water

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
water doesnt have caffeine or milk in it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

both these questions have the same answer: operating an unregulated hotel in a residential area is illegal and your neighbors will hate you

you know you can screen people on airbnb right?

like the people I hosted were an older couple in a bmw and their step son. they got in about 7pm and watched tv

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

you know you can screen people on airbnb right?

like the people I hosted were an older couple in a bmw and their step son. they got in about 7pm and watched tv

you cant screen people on your neighbors airbnb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess that's a thought

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I guess that's a thought

i don't see a problem with this
~*neighbour runs a bunkhouse for nerds*~
~*sighs thoughtfully as he's overrun by the vermin infestation from the growing trash hoard next door*~
this is fine, he says, as he is consumed by the rat king

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

frickin love my induction cook top suck it nerds with tiny dicks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

around 3000 people live in my apartment building and im glad airbnb hasnt caught on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

are those prostitutes or just trashy white girls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i love trashy white girls

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they can be both you know

i'm lovin' the couch cushions off by the fence there too. keeps that backyard classy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
theyre driving me crazy

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I live in a 5 bedroom house and rent my rooms out for 2+months at a time to individuals. I use airbnb for booking and handling the payments so that I don't have to spend time loving around with strangers on craigslist.

I used to live in a hacker hostel and ended up "investing" in it and then running the bookkeeping, where I quickly discovered the group of 3 houses was a big money pit. I then got to stay there for free, although cost-wise it worked out to slightly better than renting. I carried on bookkeeping after i didn't need to live there anymore as a favor to the owner, who is a friend of mine and had to keep dumping her personal cash into it to keep the place afloat. I advised her to close it earlier but she was a bit too attached to the community that'd emerged around it. The venture never broke even on an annual basis in terms of cash, though it did allow a person to stay at each house without paying in exchange for taking on cleaning/booking duties. AirBNB made a reasonable profit though.

quote:

I enjoyed my time there, but to be fair I am a filthy bottom-dweller.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

You get girls like these and more once you own an induction cooktop.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ShadowHawk posted:

protip you can report your neighbors under prop F and the city will be forced to send an inspector and bill your neighbor for their time, and even if they've never used AirBNB and you were making it all up there will be no consequences for you whatsoever

htis ownz0rz

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Condiv posted:

You get girls like these and more once you own an induction cooktop.

*cooks over fire pit*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hotel guests are associated with activities that i don't really want happening in my apartment building: they party, do drugs, steal poo poo, get drunk, gently caress hookers, etc

there's a reason you can't find hotels in really hip residential neighborhoods. nobody wants to live next to that poo poo.

Hell, a good chunk of people get grumpy if the house next door gets new renters every year. My neighbor was really happy I renewed my lease, not just because we get along great but because in his words "it is annoying to have your neighbor move out right once you get to to know them".

in non-sf news it looks like austin is on track to completely ban non-owner-occupied short term rentals and also implement a lot stricter limits on the number of people who can stay in a place for everyone else. they've been having trouble with the houses being used as party spots for big groups and specifically bachelor parties.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

go hard or go home, Austin. smdh.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

why do you think short term rentals are regulated in most places? turns out people don't like their neighbours running flophouses because of the kind of disruption it causes
i thought disruption is what the bay area is all about?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

indigi posted:

go hard or go home, Austin. smdh.

eh there's a pretty longstanding practice here of renting out a room or couch for someone to crash on during SXSW or ACL. i don't think the city would ban those because they are like the one way that residents of austin benefit from those events. otherwise more people might speak up and ask hard questions like "um why do we rope off downtown for two weeks and make our lives miserable just for out of town bros to get drunk and branded at? also why do we only charge a for profit company a pittance to close the city's centerpiece park from September to December?"

they also want to tack on a whole bunch of other rules allowing photographs and video from neighbors of violations to be admissible to code enforcement. it isn't quite sf's proposed "sue the gently caress out of each other" rule but it is going to result in some really fun passive aggressive neighbor fights.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
swamp cooler chat from the first page my whole building is cooled by a series of swamp coolers that run a network of chilled water pipes under downtown.

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2010/03/25/chilled-water/

so there's no external hvac stuff on the building, the chilling towers around the city keep it cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

as someone with experience using and building swamp coolers, that's truly a garbage method of consistent cooling.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

kwinkles posted:

so there's no external hvac stuff on the building, the chilling towers around the city keep it cool

austin was never cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

indigi posted:

as someone with experience using and building swamp coolers, that's truly a garbage method of consistent cooling.

actually it works great and i can keep it 70F even when it's 105F outside and even though there are wall to wall floor to ceiling windows on the south and west facing walls of my apartment

• Locked thread