Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

it is posted:

Today I learned Carp's basic attack costs 5 SP

Yeah, I don't know either

I think you're thinking of Crisp, I don't recall Carp's attack costing SP. And naturally, it's because Crisp really doesn't want to be there, plus his basic attack is pretty strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
Here's his basic attack, grayed out because he only has 2 SP

I didn't realize Crisp's basic attack also cost SP. Bo's Jam Out also costs 5 SP per NOTE. Weird game design decisions.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

it is posted:

Here's his basic attack, grayed out because he only has 2 SP

I didn't realize Crisp's basic attack also cost SP. Bo's Jam Out also costs 5 SP per NOTE. Weird game design decisions.

It's kind of interesting how Lisa manages to completely cover up what would otherwise be considered really poor (or at least questionable) design decisions otherwise by presenting a brilliant narrative. I like it whenever story triumphs over gameplay like that. The rest of the game being what it is makes it so, generally, things like that end up just as curiosities, rather than actual points of contention.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Lisa's gameplay is sorta weird, I actually like the idea of some characters using SP in their basic attacks but I only really see the reason why with the high brute-force Crisp. Carp isn't all that powerful for his main attack and Cliff's basic attack is totally useless.

I dunno, I think what they ought to have done was given a few more options for early-game party members, with maybe three or four choices for recruits in the first bar instead of just two, and distributed it so that the first crossroad has the most characters instead of the second. Should've been more of the game after the third crossroad too, since there's the distinct possibility that depending on what order you do things in, you could end up recruiting Crisp and Buffalo but then the only enemies even left in the game are optional encounters, which is what happened in my case. The final sequence neat narratively but it's basically all an interactive cutscene that you only lose if you somehow still don't know how to use Brad even with all extraneous options removed, and if you opt to kill Sticky earlier on then there's not...even any kind of climactic boss that you're sure to encounter as an actual final test. I dunno, it's weird, I think in terms of the gameplay experience, it gets weaker as time goes on, when fights get less about resource management and more about just piling on status effects, and resources simply become more abundant.

It's like the opposite of Undertale where I find the early game to be very weak compared to the late game but I guess that's only fitting!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

It's like the opposite of Undertale where I find the early game to be very weak compared to the late game but I guess that's only fitting!

See, instead of making lame fangames like The Pointless and, like, whatever stuff people are making for Undertale (I'm sure plenty exists), what they need to do is just do a pair of fangames that swap the protagonists (with the implicit assumption that they bring along the general tone of their home game), and explore how that would change things. I imagine Flowey would be very excited to meet Brad. I'm also interested in exploring how The Fallen Child would Spare the various dipshits of Olathe.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

EclecticTastes posted:

I imagine Flowey would be very excited to meet Brad.

He'd take one look at Brad's LV and then run the gently caress away.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There is a comic I found that's a crossover between the two, but it has spoilers for the Joyful. Let's just say Brad's not the one Flowey would have to worry about.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There is a comic I found that's a crossover between the two, but it has spoilers for the Joyful. Let's just say Brad's not the one Flowey would have to worry about.

I've seen that comic and really wish that there was another one that featured Rando instead.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 18, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay so I just caught up on the end of this LP, so I've got a couple of belated thoughts to share

-Infowork Harder is pure art, thank you so much for showing me that. It works on so many levels.
-The ending of episode 13 is one of the most gut-wrenching moments I've ever experienced in a video game. Toying with player agency can be a powerful storytelling device, and Lisa uses it to great effect here. The player is reduced to the tiny voice of morality and reason in the back of Brad's head that is drowned out by decades of quiet suffering and heartbreak boiling to the surface at once in a blind rage. The game then basically holds you captive and forces you to press the attack button over and over again no matter how much you don't like it. And then Buddy jumps in the way, and in any other story this would be the part where Brad realizes what he's doing and stops, but that doesn't happen, he keeps attacking because he isn't in control of himself.
-I agree with VOD that the ending of LISA is incredible, but what I don't like is the post-credits stinger that comes with going Joyless. This conversation feels like it came from a different game, LISA has amazing writing but the dialogue here feels very stilted and cliched, very exposition-y. I still haven't played The Joyful so I don't know what this is hinting at, but it doesn't really make me all that interested to find out. It just feels forced and tacked on to an otherwise great ending.

You did a great job showing off this game overall, VOD. Good job!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I don't think Brad is supposed to be intentionally abusive, he's just an unwitting victim of the cycle of abuse.
Brad's treatment of Buddy is incredibly complicated, it's a mixture of coming from genuine care and from desperation for his own redemption, but he definitely doesn't hold any malice towards her and isn't trying to hurt her. His entire life set him up to be a lovely parent.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 19, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Augus posted:

-I agree with VOD that the ending of LISA is incredible, but what I don't like is the post-credits stinger that comes with going Joyless. This conversation feels like it came from a different game, LISA has amazing writing but the dialogue here feels very stilted and cliched, very exposition-y. I still haven't played The Joyful so I don't know what this is hinting at, but it doesn't really make me all that interested to find out. It just feels forced and tacked on to an otherwise great ending.

The Joyless stinger isn't great because it's just dialogue, but there's a reason you don't see what's going on in that conversation (that will become apparent by the end of Joyless).

The stinger for Pain Mode is much more effective IMO, if you haven't watched the Pain Mode stream yet.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
A mad scientist feels out of place with the rest of the game being about a sea of dipshits, but someone had to make joy for some reason

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

A mad scientist feels out of place with the rest of the game being about a sea of dipshits, but someone had to make joy for some reason

On the other hand, the man that made joy would also be responsible for all of the joy mutants in Olathe and would be by definition the biggest dipshit in the sea.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
These LISA cosplayers are going too far:
http://www.kctv5.com/story/34585903/witnesses-say-olathe-bar-shooting-may-have-racial-overtones

lostangelssong
Jan 26, 2013
Hey, VoD. I loved this thread, as well as the pain mode stream. But I noticed that it's up on lparchive now.

Are you still going to LP Joyful, or is that going to be a different thread?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seconding that question.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Haven't really decided yet. Did start recording Joyful recently, I'll probably record the rest of it soon then start editing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

EclecticTastes posted:

It's kind of interesting how Lisa manages to completely cover up what would otherwise be considered really poor (or at least questionable) design decisions otherwise by presenting a brilliant narrative. I like it whenever story triumphs over gameplay like that. The rest of the game being what it is makes it so, generally, things like that end up just as curiosities, rather than actual points of contention.

Continuing in the tradition of Earthbound!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Continuing in the tradition of Earthbound!

How dare you. :catstare:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Earthbound's gameplay was simple enough to be serviceable and definitely took a backseat to the story. No one is playing that game to do cool stunts with the system, and the game seems to know that. Later on, it managed to be right on that knife edge of "let's try some weird poo poo" without becoming unplayable. I'm thinking of how the party splits roles so asymmetrically, especially after Magicant. :psyduck: But even before that, Jeff is such a weird role in the party that he kind of breaks expectations for JRPG parties. His solo introduction is arguably weirder than having Ness post-Magicant in how jarring it is for the player. And yet, it still works. The fact that any of that works at all is a testament to how good that game is. It takes judicious risks, and they usually work.

It also helps that the game makes fun of itself when it is being lazy in things like level design (Dungeon Man, for example) and monster design (all the dumb old people you beat up). It knows what it is and what it isn't, and seems to be fine with that. Bad games are often bad because they don't know their limits, or what they are/aren't.

That said, Earthbound's gameplay is way more polished than Lisa's. Lisa often felt like the encounter progression was just barely not broken. With some of the characters barely usable and some of them having baked-in, game-breaking mechanics (I'm looking at you, Carp), it had about as little care for balance as any game I've ever enjoyed. It works, but only just. But I'm not playing either of these games for the gameplay.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Earthbound did do cool things with its rolling HP system, since it meant you could try to quickly recover from a fatal blow, or against exploding enemies it meant you were frantically mashing A to end the battle before your health ticked down too much.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Rolling HP is a cool and clever idea, but it's the reason Those loving Trees can exist (and be a bit more than a direct level check) in both Earthbound and Mother 3 and they are the worst. Especially in Earthbound when you run into them while still solo at that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think one of the definite advantages LISA has over Earthbound is that the latter makes liberal use of random encounters while the former does not. There are random encounters in LISA but they're very sparsely placed throughout the game, the vast majority of the fights are specifically placed where they are. Earthbound can feel a lot more grindy than LISA as a result.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Even the random encounters you have are mostly in the beginning of the game, and are fairly easy. I never really felt the need to grind in this game - it can be tough but not impossible.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

EclecticTastes posted:

How dare you. :catstare:

I love Earthbound but adding to the posts above. It seems like Ness and Paula were thought out as a characters and tested Jeff and Poo were definitely not and the item and weapon system are weird for a lack of a better word.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Haven't really decided yet. Did start recording Joyful recently, I'll probably record the rest of it soon then start editing.

I sure am looking forward to Joyful.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

earthbound definitely has its flaws. It has some odd balancing. The beginning of the game is the hardest part. Jeff is basically the god mode of the game. Literally just use Jeff's bottle rockets every boss. That is the speed runners strategy. Poo is cool but just mostly just a heal bot. Certain things like the monkey cave are so painful to replay without a guide. And I really don't like how they handle all the best equipment in the game.

Still a good enough game for me to buy an avatar of it though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VoD hasn't been streaming on Twitch as much lately... perhaps he's finishing up Joyful?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I'm sorry, things are kind of hard right now. I'm still working on things (way too many things actually) but progress is slow and life continues to intervene whether I want it to or not. I'm trying to make some changes to help me adjust to things a bit better but those are slow as well.

I don't know what else to say. I hate disappointing people.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hey, take all the time you need. Can always close the thread and either reopen it or start a new one if/when things get easier and you feel up to it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Hey, this is just a hobby and we'll still be here when you have the time to put stuff out again. Take care of yourself first, always; you deserve it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Add me to what everyone's been saying - we all appreciate yer take on this game series, but it's secondary to yer life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
You've given us a gift already with a full LP of this game. Thanks for that, and when you return, we'll be happy to see you :)

• Locked thread