Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the writers shied away from including women due to not wanting to upset anyone too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I wonder if the writers shied away from including women due to not wanting to upset anyone too much.

The writer didn't include women because the last of the human race being unable to reproduce is a big deal.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Genocyber posted:

How could anyone sacrifice good ole Terr Bear.

Easily.

AstroWhale posted:

Kill Terry. :getin:

A good vote.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Save Terry.

We already abused one puppy in this intro, no need for a twofer.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Victis posted:

Keep Terry, love that crappy sliding headbutt.

The only thing he's headbutting is the ground.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Keep watching.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Save Terry because I'm going to assume that it's possible to survive without your stuff.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How could we think about sacrificing the hintmaster? Save the Terr-meister, you can always get more stuff!

Gemcrim
May 26, 2014

Straight outta Sumaru
Save Terr Bear

Also will you be talking about the original LISA "The First" at all in the LP?

Gemcrim fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 11, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Save Terry C'mon is that even a question

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

the quality of their battle themes.

This is what heaven sounds like.

e. v v v same

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 11, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When I die, send me off in a burning boat to this music.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I've actually been really interested in seeing this game shown off, ever since my roommate played it. He will gush about how it is "bold" and "gutsy" without explaining a speck of what makes him say that. Although seeing the karate video, I can't honestly say I expect something tame from the man who wears a powder blue gi.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It really can't be expressed how great Off's music is, especially in context. Actually playing the game, the sound design is absolutely perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEOUhHim64

This especially is a great track that is atmospheric as gently caress and only plays in special bonus level revisits. These revisits are extremely reminiscent of when you finish a level in Hotline Miami and have to walk back to your car with the hyped-music being replaced by somber, atmospheric music. It's the exact same tone, but you can still get into random encounters with only one type of enemy that looks extremely hosed up as time goes on, from zone to zone, and you realize what the enemies represent.

That track still makes my spine crawl

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I was surprised not to see Citizens of Earth on the list, seeing as it's an Earthbound-like that's charging actual money and seems to have higher than average production values. Is it just not particularly interesting?

Also, the correct choice to make is to kill Terry, because we have to keep that Dead Flower all the way to the end of the game.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Kill Terry

Also:

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

bewilderment posted:

I was surprised not to see Citizens of Earth on the list, seeing as it's an Earthbound-like that's charging actual money and seems to have higher than average production values. Is it just not particularly interesting?

Also, the correct choice to make is to kill Terry, because we have to keep that Dead Flower all the way to the end of the game.

Eh, more like I had enough on my plate making the video as it were and I didn't know a whole lot about the game besides some lukewarm response from other people. I wanted to stay focused on games I knew really well or were highly anticipating. I've actually had the script written out for #0 since April, just took me forever to gather all the assets and put it together. While I was busy doing that Undertale came out and that ended up being so good I had to redo that portion too.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Give up All your Stuff
Sweet Terry Wine needs your help man.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Citizens of Earth is a game inspired by Earthbound made by people who don't seem to get Earthbound. It apes the general setting (pastiche of modern America with weird stuff) without having the same sort of tone, compared to LISA or Undertale which have vastly different settings but are much more similar to Earthbound/Mother 3 in tone.

Also unless they patched it significantly since release (which they may very well have) it's balanced super bad. A lot of enemies are really loving annoying to kill (a common random encounter in an area becomes invulnerable after two turns and then heals all of its HP, in a game where to do high damage you generally need a few turns of set up first) and a lot of the game is walking forward and back between areas to progress, doubly so if you want to do the option stuff unlocked by getting new party members.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 11, 2015

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Someone make this av sized.

Also Keep Terry, you won't survive this desolate hellscape without his constant hints and encouragement.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
At first I wondered whether keeping Terry around was really worth it, but then I saw how much damage the guy you Pissed Off did to himself, and that convinced me.

Save Terry.

Incidentally, if you know combos for Brad but haven't picked them up ingame, does the game still let you do them?

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Looks like Terry's the only friend Brad has left.
Kill Terry. :unsmigghh:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I sincerely appreciate the tiny deer he's riding.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I think you can use this as an avatar.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Well I tried to make a better looking one from some raw video I captured, but resizing the video made the gif's size too big, and resizing it in gimp made it look really bad no matter which filter I used. :shrug:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

death .cab for qt posted:

It's the exact same tone, but you can still get into random encounters with only one type of enemy that looks extremely hosed up as time goes on, from zone to zone, and you realize what the enemies represent.

Those enemies represent something? Can you refresh my memory?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

I can't stop playing it send help.

Also, Give up Terry. Guy's just a burden, and in this world heroics simply don't keep you alive long.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Those enemies represent something? Can you refresh my memory?

It's... commentary on the Mens Rights movement in video game form.

No, really.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, noooo

A reasonable interpretation of Off, in extremely general terms to not totally spoil it, is that it's an elaborate metaphor relating to disease. Going by this interpretation, the game actually has sincere human meaning and isn't a commentary on lovely internet behavior.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
LISA is one of my favorite games. Like many people, I was very hesitant about buying it since I couldn't tell if it was being edgy just for the sake of it. Despite the dark places it goes to though it manages to be written extremely well which is rarity with this kind of subject matter. I've never enjoyed a game making me miserable so much. Though my favorite part of it is probably the soundtrack which is really unique. Glad someone is giving this game a good LP.

gently caress Terry though, we'll get better friends to hang out with.

Mazed posted:

I sincerely appreciate the tiny deer he's riding.

Tiny deer is the :shittydog: of LISA.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RickVoid posted:

I try to keep my posting temperate but you should be smacked upside the head for saying something this dumb (and linking to the game's ending to boot, class act).

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Good lord what a start. I'll be sure to follow this one.

I'd never kill Terry, but I feel this is a game about kiling Terry.

There, now his eventual blood will be on your hands instead of mine.

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."
KILL TERRY

Also, nice job on the LP so far.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Genocyber posted:

Well I tried to make a better looking one from some raw video I captured, but resizing the video made the gif's size too big, and resizing it in gimp made it look really bad no matter which filter I used. :shrug:

Now i'm imagining that with Flowey's face, turning into the scareface right when he says "mother fucker"

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013
Kill Terry, it's what the puppy we murdered would've wanted.

Really enjoyed the Earthbound-like introduction video, super well made. Looking forward to the rest of the LP, off to a good start.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Save Terry, he's of some use for spreading statuses and acting as an extra target.

Also another game to toss into the Earthbound-likes pile is Mason Lindroth's "Hylics"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNUgeEryCM

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I cant get enough of Terry reclining luxuriously in the battle screen. Never send him away.

And yeah, I too didnt give this game much thought beyond "oh boy i bet this is sooo real and edgy to a 12 year old". Clearly I was wrong. Forgive me, Dingaling.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blastinus posted:

At first I wondered whether keeping Terry around was really worth it, but then I saw how much damage the guy you Pissed Off did to himself, and that convinced me.

Save Terry.

+1

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Considering you stressed the importance of hording resources and you don't seem happy to have Terry there anyway, obviously you need to Save Terry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Also no one mentioned this but the balloon on that first cliff was actually added in one of the earlier patches after a bunch of people complained about it (since if you walk off and die you gotta sit through the 15 minute intro again).

• Locked thread