Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Okay, I just published the captions! Haven't run through them all the way but I think they should be good. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know very much about this game, but watching your videos fills me with this somber feeling of dread and anxiety...

I love it!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
That mutant was loving frightening. What happened to him? He looked (relatively) okay when we saw him before, if hunched over and moaning about someone called "Jessie."

We come back and he's turned into... whatever the gently caress that was. And why was it carrying Joy?

For that matter, why was it carrying 2 Joy, when the other two times we got it, we got it in sets of 3?

What the gently caress does Joy do to people?

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Nobody can really go into that without revealing massive spoliers.

I liked this game, disliked undertale. :)

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Randabis posted:

Nobody can really go into that without revealing massive spoliers.

Calling it now: When the flash occurred, Nern Guan woke up to find that his wife had suddenly turned into even more of a dumb potato bitch.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
God bless her soul.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Randabis posted:

I liked this game, disliked undertale. :)

Care to elaborate? I don't want to get too off-track here, but I just bought LISA and I'm considering buying Undtertale. thevoiceofdog's intro video got me interested in Undertale, but I'm curious about other opinions on it.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Railing Kill posted:

Care to elaborate? I don't want to get too off-track here, but I just bought LISA and I'm considering buying Undtertale. thevoiceofdog's intro video got me interested in Undertale, but I'm curious about other opinions on it.

Disliked the gameplay, the monkey cheese plot/characters, the art, and the fandom/hype behind it doesn't help either. About the only thing that I don't actively dislike is the soundtrack. It's a good effort for somebody's first game and had a few interesting ideas/gimmicks, but I find it severely overrated and not interesting or fun to play through.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Randabis posted:

Disliked the gameplay, the monkey cheese plot/characters, the art, and the fandom/hype behind it doesn't help either. About the only thing that I don't actively dislike is the soundtrack. It's a good effort for somebody's first game and had a few interesting ideas/gimmicks, but I find it severely overrated and not interesting or fun to play through.

Bullet Dodging is harder than really basic platforming and turn based RPG tactics, I'll give you that.

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

There's a SSLP of undertale that's currently running if you want to check it out a little before deciding whether or not it's worth forking over your own cash.

fwiw I enjoyed both Lisa the painful and undertale, but ymmv, I guess :shrug:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
undertale is as monkey cheese as Earthbound is (ie "quirky").
Like all Earthbound likes it's either something you get or your don't, there is no real objective mark for or against its style since style is most of the game. At the very least there's a lot of interesting meta-narrative and gameplay put into it. Many other EB inspired games have more or less meta narrative but do not have much gameplay at all really, such as Space Funeral, Off, and Yume Nikki (which I personally think counts, and is one of my favorite games ever, but like all earthbound likes you either enjoy it for the style and what it's doing or you don't).

I'm not SUPER into it, but I've only done a no-kill run (not pacifist because I've just marched from beginning to end without really doing extra poo poo, and apparently there's interesting things to do that you gotta look for). And I try not to hold a fanbase against a creative work. Many things I like have terrible fanbases. I'm reserving total judgement until later.

I think VOD's first video does the best job an enthusiast of the game can of explaining what there is to like about it though, and it helps that his praise for the game doesn't have backhanded scorn for other RPG's violence like many other fans seem to, even reviewers I like.

I haven't gotten far into Lisa either, though, because everything I did felt like I was being forced deeper and deeper into a hole, though I did like the humor. I guess I'm not super into story games in general right now. I'm hoping to get on Lisa's wavelength by watching the LP.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 24, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Full disclosure: I've played some of this game, though not much of it; the next update will likely reach the limit of what I've seen in LISA. I also played Pain Mode, which was a bad idea.

The exploding corpse around the 2:30 mark of the most recent update was something special. It's timed so that it will burst right above you and do a lot of damage if you just keep walking without suspecting anything. The whole thing reminded me of the random, horrible poo poo that happens in I Wanna Be The Guy, except that unlike in that game, this only happens once and never again.

There's nothing you learn from walking under a hanged corpse and having it suddenly explode and hurt you a whole lot, except how horrible this world is.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Brad is the hero Undertale needs.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well I was going to get back to finishing my LISA LP but I suppose I don't need to now. :v:

Mazed posted:

it's an elaborate metaphor relating to disease. Going by this interpretation, the game actually has sincere human meaning and isn't a commentary on lovely internet behavior.

Wow, somehow I didn't even think of that. It makes a lot of sense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Well I was going to get back to finishing my LISA LP but I suppose I don't need to now. :v:

You could if you wanted to though. There are many multiple LPs of Final Fantasy games done and archived, there's nothing stopping people from LPing a game if someone has already done it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Randabis posted:

Wolverine Tamer posted:

There's a SSLP of undertale that's currently running if you want to check it out a little before deciding whether or not it's worth forking over your own cash.

fwiw I enjoyed both Lisa the painful and undertale, but ymmv, I guess :shrug:

Acne Rain posted:

undertale is as monkey cheese as Earthbound is (ie "quirky").
Like all Earthbound likes it's either something you get or your don't, there is no real objective mark for or against its style since style is most of the game. At the very least there's a lot of interesting meta-narrative and gameplay put into it. Many other EB inspired games have more or less meta narrative but do not have much gameplay at all really, such as Space Funeral, Off, and Yume Nikki (which I personally think counts, and is one of my favorite games ever, but like all earthbound likes you either enjoy it for the style and what it's doing or you don't).

I'm not SUPER into it, but I've only done a no-kill run (not pacifist because I've just marched from beginning to end without really doing extra poo poo, and apparently there's interesting things to do that you gotta look for). And I try not to hold a fanbase against a creative work. Many things I like have terrible fanbases. I'm reserving total judgement until later.

I think VOD's first video does the best job an enthusiast of the game can of explaining what there is to like about it though, and it helps that his praise for the game doesn't have backhanded scorn for other RPG's violence like many other fans seem to, even reviewers I like.

I haven't gotten far into Lisa either, though, because everything I did felt like I was being forced deeper and deeper into a hole, though I did like the humor. I guess I'm not super into story games in general right now. I'm hoping to get on Lisa's wavelength by watching the LP.

Thanks for the thoughts on Undertale, everyone. I'll check out the LP going on and make a call about it soon.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Full disclosure: I've played some of this game, though not much of it; the next update will likely reach the limit of what I've seen in LISA. I also played Pain Mode, which was a bad idea.

The exploding corpse around the 2:30 mark of the most recent update was something special. It's timed so that it will burst right above you and do a lot of damage if you just keep walking without suspecting anything. The whole thing reminded me of the random, horrible poo poo that happens in I Wanna Be The Guy, except that unlike in that game, this only happens once and never again.

There's nothing you learn from walking under a hanged corpse and having it suddenly explode and hurt you a whole lot, except how horrible this world is.

I'm curious about Pain Mode myself, but I haven't heard good things about it. I also haven't dared to ask about it because of rules about spoiler and such. If it doesn't blow any spoilers to do so, what does Pain Mode do, exactly?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pain Mode ups the difficulty first and foremost. It also changes a couple of bosses, adds a small extra area and a post-credits scene (both of which raise a few more questions about the game) and makes all the save points explode after using them, so you can only use each one once. It's debatable as to whether or not it's worth it, given that last point, but it's there if you want more of a challenge.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Spoiler free version: Pain mode doesn't add much, to be honest. The game keeps the same general difficulty. A few fights and boss encounters are changed to be more challenging, but they're so infrequent that it's almost not worth it. There's one section of the game and a bonus ending that are only accessible if you're playing in Pain mode, but they're short and largely inconsequential, easily viewed online for those curious. The real challenge comes from the fact that save points are only single use.

Straight from Dingaling himself on the Steam page:

quote:

- This Mode allows you to save only one time at a crow.
- New enemies & bosses have been added.
- A new area has been added
- A new pain ending has been added.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The pain mode ending is definitely worth it, and restricted saves aren't even a factor if you know the game well enough.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

The pain mode ending is definitely worth it, and restricted saves aren't even a factor if you know the game well enough.

In other words it is nice to get more for your money but don't try it your first time through.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nanomashoes posted:

We must have seen different pain mode endings.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
This game and Undertale are both excellent, although I prefer the latter slightly. I started up Joyful when it came out but then lost interest, especially after hearing a lot of lukewarm reviews, so I'll be interested in watching that.

Railing Kill posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on Undertale, everyone. I'll check out the LP going on and make a call about it soon.

In case anybody else is curious, there's a free demo of Undertale available on the game's website. I highly recommend getting more than one ending.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

MelvinBison posted:

Brad is the hero Undertale needs.

In all seriousness, I think Brad's presence will ruin Undertale, for all its worth. Don't get me wrong, Brad is a fantasically complex character, but his character flaws would be detrimental for the world of utter optimism that is Undertale.

In a game like LISA, however, Brad's flaws actually bring out the best (or worst, depending on how you view it) of the world of LISA.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Brad's stone silence and overall fists-first-questions-later attitude would fit perfectly for at least one playthrough of undertale

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brad would get along with everyone up to Undyne and that's when problems start.

Also he started out with like seven hundred health at level one so he could probably do god mod poo poo with those kinds of stats.

By level five he could probably tear the door to the ruins off its hinges.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

RareAcumen posted:

Brad would get along with everyone up to Undyne and that's when problems start.

I'd think he'd start having problems when Toriel...... tries to protect the human.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The entirety of Undertale actually takes place through the eyes of one of the LISA mutants. That's just how they see the world.

A sad dad and a luchador approach you, sighing.

Terry.

They occasionally break down in tears when you're fighting them because Undertale is so emotional you guys

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 25, 2015

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Well, I beat LISA. I have defeated the enemy and become strong.

Hooray. :smith:

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Exporting the next episode, expect it to drop tonight! What crazy adventures will Brad and co. get up to this time??

murder

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

thevoiceofdog posted:

Exporting the next episode, expect it to drop tonight! What crazy adventures will Brad and co. get up to this time??

murder

I like the sound of this update already.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

FisheyStix posted:

Well, I beat LISA. I have defeated the enemy and become strong.

Hooray. :smith:

Spoilers, dude!

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Karate Bastard posted:

Spoilers, dude!

Says the guy with a spoilery username! :colbert:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
the fact you cannot save cheese legs is a crime imo

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I cannot look away from the mouse pointer in the corner. :(

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
oh.

gently caress

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
It's not really a big deal imo. Its not obscuring anything and isn't particularly distracting

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh my god that orphanage

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Charmy ain't tense if you bring Terry. Piss him off and he's liable to hit himself, doing way more damage than you can hope to, without making him any more dangerous (since he oneshots you already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I love this LP but one bit of criticism is you could leave the text up a tiny bit longer, I had to occasionally pause the video to read the dialogue, and it's the dialogue that makes the game.

The cursor in the corner added character.

• Locked thread