Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's too bad The Path never got finished since I liked what you were doing with it but I can't blame you for putting your sanity above trying to come up with more ideas of how to make a bad game made by weird people fun to watch. I should get to the 11th Hour and Botanicula sometime.

odd to bring up the path, that was long long ago.

I'm more hoping for the end of the Parasite Eve II Biomess appreciation stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
maybe LISA is an acronym
for what, only time will make clear

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
undertale is as monkey cheese as Earthbound is (ie "quirky").
Like all Earthbound likes it's either something you get or your don't, there is no real objective mark for or against its style since style is most of the game. At the very least there's a lot of interesting meta-narrative and gameplay put into it. Many other EB inspired games have more or less meta narrative but do not have much gameplay at all really, such as Space Funeral, Off, and Yume Nikki (which I personally think counts, and is one of my favorite games ever, but like all earthbound likes you either enjoy it for the style and what it's doing or you don't).

I'm not SUPER into it, but I've only done a no-kill run (not pacifist because I've just marched from beginning to end without really doing extra poo poo, and apparently there's interesting things to do that you gotta look for). And I try not to hold a fanbase against a creative work. Many things I like have terrible fanbases. I'm reserving total judgement until later.

I think VOD's first video does the best job an enthusiast of the game can of explaining what there is to like about it though, and it helps that his praise for the game doesn't have backhanded scorn for other RPG's violence like many other fans seem to, even reviewers I like.

I haven't gotten far into Lisa either, though, because everything I did felt like I was being forced deeper and deeper into a hole, though I did like the humor. I guess I'm not super into story games in general right now. I'm hoping to get on Lisa's wavelength by watching the LP.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 24, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
one of the things that stopped me was feeling sorry for killing the cripples lying around, can you progress without that?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It is very hard for me to evaluate the First.
Depressing stories with difficult topics can be handled in games. I'd argue that for once the darker interpretations of Yume Nikki have some weight. (which is one reason I'd argue for YN as an Earthbound like, it FEELS horribly dark but you don't know why, and a lot of the more obviously negative symbols are isolated and still don't have an obvious meaning) I cannot evaluate that kind of story very well but I did not like playing the first.

I can evulate it as a Yume-Nikki-like and as one it falls horribly flat. It lacks anything resembling subtlety. All the symbols have very obvious meanings and there's very few of them that get repeated over and over.
Having dialog and goals and obvious symbols really hurts that kind of game because then you just have a lovely thin adventure game. Idea of Yume Nikki likes is it let you explore and form your own goals, run your own investigation instead of having an assignment. Comparing Yume Nikki to The First is like comparing Rene Magritte to Banksy.
It was much better for Dingaling to do an rpg with decisions and gameplay to execute his intended narrative in this case.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I kind of think it would be cool if it was a function of who you've leveled the most.
Then hypothetically Buzzo would be picking the guy you've put the most work into or are relying on the most, and in the russian roulette those guys will be slightly luckier in exchange for the player really not wanting to risk losing them forever.
At least that's my annoying ideas guy opinion.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I know that there aren't spoilers in the discussion but could we not talk about the game that takes place after the ending when we're only five videos in.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Is the bee club a big reference to the Honeybee Inn in ff7 (not just bees and a club, remember what happens to cloud in that part)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
have we even seen where we can get more than a finite supply of joy yet?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well at least you guys are more patient and understanding for new players than many other LP threads. Like the Undertale thread, which is kind of a sister thread to LISA since they're kind of similar but opposite games, which has been closed many, many times now.

Or Final Fantasy LP threas. Many Final Fantasy players, including ones I have met IRL back in undergrad, seem to assume everyone worth talking to has played every Final Fantasy game multiple times over and are willing to hear their opinions about EVERYTHING.

I am still on the fence about playing further in LISA, especially now that I'm two playthroughs through Undertale and I've seen everything I want to firsthand out of it. However... both my runs were pacifist and I have refused to play the No Mercy run and I might be too much of a weenie to play through lisa myself. I've at least bought it and the expansion to sit in my Steam Library until I'm not, at the least...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I like the perspective even if it is not a flawless system.
It's not like this game is huge, and it also makes area traversal nontrivial and provides immediately understandable obstacles.
I wouldn't like every game to have it, but it's fine here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
so my own guess at Joy's purpose, now disproven, was that it was a last-ditch effort attempt to modify humanity on some genetic level to be able to reproduce post-flash (like allow mitosis or turn some guys into cronenbergian ladies or something). Was I alone in thinking this?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
that's really disappointing, that neighborhood was spectacularly creepy and I was envisioning the secret lab area available in a special playthrough being as good as that other game that has a secret lab area available in a special playthrough (undertale true lab)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
oh no, vod, you have doomed that poor village to starvation.
the protagonist of the rpg may be the true villain

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well no Lp would be able to show everyone of without lots of playthroughs or grinding.

That's some pretty good replay value

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I do not accept the idea that as flawed as brad is he is not still the better man so far, just because these assholes seem to have a problem with him. If buzzo cared what I, the player, thought he'd tell me what is going on.

and had it been me those two pedos who think one girl can repopulate a world like the mythical tale of adam and eve would be dead dead DEAD
brad treated the small child like family and not a macguffin and even if they really believe in their idiot plan brad is still the better one here (but they don't and they are just creeps)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
i really don't feel like throwing stones at brad, he's still a good guy trying to do a good thing.

i wouldn't say he's only thinking of himself when what he's really lacking is the strength to help himself before he falls apart and takes buddy with him.

most of the arguments i find kind of lovely. so maybe there IS a better parent out there, somewhere, off in the clouds he could've given buddy to instead of protecting her. i mean, his best friends he trusted the most ended up loving betraying him and everyone else we have met is weird, awful, or weak. but since he's not perfect he should've looked harder for someone who was.

and no parent-child relationship is perfect but are we really at the point where just yelling at a child is some huge black mark on the parents character, especially when the parent is thinking "oh my god did someone talk my child into satuatory rape". what parent NEVER has to "yell commands" or whatever at their kids even without living in a huge wasteland filled with predators like this place or any given Red State. maybe with hindsight a player can figure out the perfect words Brad could tell Buddy to get her to understand what Brad's protecting her from but Brad did not have time and was understandably shocked.

i'm not saying brad's perfect, but i am saying most anti-brad arguments are pretty weak and i'll be pretty pissed if the game itself continues to blow raspberries at him without really showing him crossing a line

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
not in what I played of the game, I was certain to leave them alone

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think it's been in at least one conversation, just hard to remember with the length between updates.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Thank you for this LP, as Painful as it was. I'm interested in seeing where Joyful goes from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
A mad scientist feels out of place with the rest of the game being about a sea of dipshits, but someone had to make joy for some reason

• Locked thread