Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

North Texas lost to Portland State 66-7. Worst ever defeat to an FCS/I-AA school since the I-A/I-AA split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Korranus posted:

North Texas lost to Portland State 66-7. Worst ever defeat to an FCS/I-AA school since the I-A/I-AA split.

I assume that record belonged to Iowa State until today. So thanks McCarney. Still got that ISU spirit.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

How is Chicago suffering from that?

The Chicago School is destroying the world economy

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I assume that record belonged to Iowa State until today.

Actually, North Texas held the other end of the previous record. They beat New Mexico State 49-3 in 1983 when UNT was in I-AA.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bip Roberts posted:

How is Chicago suffering from that?

At the time they dropped sports UChicago was probably the most high profile, prestigious university in the country. Maybe matched by Harvard. Now most of the county have never even heard of the place.

Colleges like Duke and Notre Dame, USC, Georgetown have used sports success to raise their profiles, get more applicants, become more selective. UChicago went the opposite way, and their applicant pool shrank.

High school kids don't know or care that uChicago has 88 Nobel Prizes and Notre Dame has only 2. They care that Notre Dame has 10 national championships and 7 Heisman winners. And now most of America thinks that Notre Dame is a better college academically.

Fair or not, that's the way it is

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

predicto posted:

At the time they dropped sports UChicago was probably the most high profile, prestigious university in the country. Maybe matched by Harvard. Now most of the county have never even heard of the place.

Colleges like Duke and Notre Dame, USC, Georgetown have used sports success to raise their profiles, get more applicants, become more selective. UChicago went the opposite way, and their applicant pool shrank.

High school kids don't know or care that uChicago has 88 Nobel Prizes and Notre Dame has only 2. They care that Notre Dame has 10 national championships and 7 Heisman winners. And now most of America thinks that Notre Dame is a better college academically.

Yeah but U of C doesn't need to recruit

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

predicto posted:

Chicago's applicant pool is probably smaller because it's most famous for being "where fun goes to die" and in a bad part of town.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

predicto posted:

Gonna disagree with you there. U of Chicago is still one of the most selective schools in the country and pumps out high numbers of really successful graduates every year. No high school kid who is serious about academics doesn't know about Chicago and know they are better than Notre Dame. The average middle age drunk might not, but I don't think anybody at Chicago cares.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Thoguh posted:

Lets talk more about my #1 team. The Eastern Kentucky Colonels. 3-2 on the year, ranked #20 in FCS, and currently #1 in the Ohio Valley Conference. Coming off a 48-17 win over Tennessee Tech on Thursday and getting ready for the big game against Southeast Missouri State on Saturday. They're going all the way this year.

Kentucky Fried Football baby.

My home state school is trash and unfortunately neither of my alma maters have athletics departments. I need to take some time to research a solid bandwagon, I don't want to end up being something like a texas fan where after a couple down years the home games are half empty and embarrassing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Gonna disagree with you there. U of Chicago is still one of the most selective schools in the country and pumps out high numbers of really successful graduates every year. No high school kid who is serious about academics doesn't know about Chicago and know they are better than Notre Dame. The average middle age drunk might not, but I don't think anybody at Chicago cares.

Yeah this

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

More fun facts about Portland State/UNT:

- Portland State outgained UNT 670 to 198. Outgained UNT on the ground 368 to 76
- UNT punted 13 times and turned the ball over only once
- This game was 45-0 at halftime
- Portland State pulled its starters at the end of the 3rd when it was 59-0. A backup RB then scored on a 69 yard TD run.
- Portland State went 3-9 last year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

yeah, but imagine if UChicago appeared in the Motor City Bowl.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Game of the year

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/wake-forest-demon-deacons-boston-college-eagles-201510100010/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Korranus posted:

More fun facts about Portland State/UNT:

- Portland State outgained UNT 670 to 198. Outgained UNT on the ground 368 to 76
- UNT punted 13 times and turned the ball over only once
- This game was 45-0 at halftime
- Portland State pulled its starters at the end of the 3rd when it was 59-0. A backup RB then scored on a 69 yard TD run.
- Portland State went 3-9 last year.

Who's their coach and where will he be next year?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is the NCAA already looking into Fournettes disgusting act of self promotion and profit by auctioning off his taxpayer and school provided game jersey?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

predicto posted:

Chicago has a third of the acceptance rate of Notre Dame so clearly someone has heard of them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
UNT has already fired their coach

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Chicago's applicant pool is probably smaller because it's most famous for being "where fun goes to die" and in a bad part of town.

It became "where fun goes to die" in large part because it dropped sports and any other frivolity and focused entirely on pure intellectualism. Over the decades the college shrunk down from to less than 2500 students because it coundnt get enough good applicants.

A lot of this has changed in the past 10 years but there is no doubt that dropping sports hurt their national profile, just as sports success did the opposite for places like Duke and Notre Dame.

Northwestern (and Stanford) would be foolish to take that risk.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

predicto posted:

The kind of teenagers that are going to go on and win a Nobel prize probably don't watch a lot of college football and form their academic preferences on who's jackass in an animal suit they see dancing on NBC the most.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The University of Chicago and Iowa State University are both directly responsible for the Cold War, so they should be banned from football forever.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Chicago has a third of the acceptance rate of Notre Dame so clearly someone has heard of them.

Ten years ago it didn't. The U of C finally figured it out and it now sends out more mail to prospective students than any other school. They have to, to make up for the disadvantage that they have from not being on everyone's TV every Saturday all autumn.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

edit: wrong thread

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Sorry for the not at all funny derails about a nerd school.

More Harbaugh gifs plz

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

predicto posted:

Ten years ago it didn't. The U of C finally figured it out and it now sends out more mail to prospective students than any other school. They have to, to make up for the disadvantage that they have from not being on everyone's TV every Saturday all autumn.

Do they still send brochures that are the size of a novella that are supposed to tell some kind of story via pictures and speech bubbles like a hokey high school yearbook?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:lol: at that punt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tactlessbastard posted:

The kind of teenagers that are going to go on and win a Nobel prize probably don't watch a lot of college football and form their academic preferences on who's jackass in an animal suit they see dancing on NBC the most.

Eh, the Ivy League is still a thing.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do they still send brochures that are the size of a novella that are supposed to tell some kind of story via pictures and speech bubbles like a hokey high school yearbook?

As my sister can attest, as of last year yes. So does New York University.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
From Dabo to all y'all motherfuckers talkin bout "Clemsoning" last week during the ND game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BgEa1K9eXI

Srsly, that was some Tommy Bowden era bullshit cut it out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cant wait to see his tantrums during a blowout loss

Noctone posted:

I get this sinking feeling that Harbaugh is a wizard and Michigan might actually be really really good this year.

Not sold on Jake Rudock, but yeah

aBagorn posted:

I wouldn't put it past them to finish the season only losing to ND, and they probably have a punchers chance in that game.

This would be super cool

How the hell did Temple get Notre Dame to play them?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Odoyle posted:

From Dabo to all y'all motherfuckers talkin bout "Clemsoning" last week during the ND game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BgEa1K9eXI

Srsly, that was some Tommy Bowden era bullshit cut it out.

if there is a god clemson will lose to boston college next week so every writer in south carolina can say clemsoning

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DOOP posted:

Cant wait to see his tantrums during a blowout loss

Not sold on Jake Rudock, but yeah

This would be super cool

How the hell did Temple get Notre Dame to play them?

Notre Dame probably thought they were getting a nice creamy cupcake.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alaois posted:

Notre Dame probably thought they were getting a nice creamy cupcake.

not this time

Memphis can score lotso point. That will be a good game too

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

31-0

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 11, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

The University of Chicago and Iowa State University are both directly responsible for the Cold War, so they should be banned from football forever.

Nobody outside ISU ever seems to know about the part they had in the Manhattan Project. So props for that. While I was at ISU I worked for facilities management and occasionally had to go back into the old labs where they did a lot of that research and it is creepy as gently caress. It isn't radioactive anymore but the whole area is just covered with woods and secluded, with more or less abandoned buildings that are right out of a serial killer movie.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Daedra posted:

if there is a god clemson will lose to boston college next week so every writer in south carolina can say clemsoning

*pssst* God is dead

You can't believe how well this is playing to Clemson fans. We... er they are petitioning for sainthood.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Good News about Kansas football: Ryan Willis can actually convert a third and long, which is a significant improvement over the usual trash we've played at QB this season!
The Bad News about Kansas football: holy loving poo poo we are bad burn the field salt the earth never speak of the pigskin on campus again

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Brady Hoke went 10-2 his first year with the same cupcake schedule. Ill believe they are good when they beat someone of significance which with the way Michigan State is playing right now could be next week. Also Jake Rudock is still bad.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Nobody outside ISU ever seems to know about the part they had in the Manhattan Project. So props for that. While I was at ISU I worked for facilities management and occasionally had to go back into the old labs where they did a lot of that research and it is creepy as gently caress. It isn't radioactive anymore but the whole area is just covered with woods and secluded, with more or less abandoned buildings that are right out of a serial killer movie.

Wow I was gonna say, I know they made some love under the UofC bleachers but I had no idea about ISU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Uh, I mean now I know what left Ames a smoldering crater :effort:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas finally beat a ranked undefeated team, and it was Top-10 OU.

Today was a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Not quite Texas, but still southern high school football:

Chain crew local(s) attempt to pick a fight with the assistant coach of the visiting team. Punches are thrown.

• Locked thread