Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Can you guys give me a perspective on Chicago?

Since the first of the year, nearly 2,400 people have been shot -- more than 350 killed.

I just read about this and it seems like you guys live in a warzone or something.

Also, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECGCoo3Ogxg&feature=youtu.be

Ever see any gun battles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
lol 2400 deaths

chicago gangs putting up 9/11 numbers lmao @ chiraq

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
just dont be black in chicago and you'll be perfectly fine, it's very safe.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

lol 2400 deaths

chicago gangs putting up 9/11 numbers lmao @ chiraq

shot not killed their marksmanship is pathetic

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Mediocre!

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
yes op the first 2348 people i killed because i was bored and the last 52? well they had it coming. they know why.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Disgusting "pizza"

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
considering it's like 1 of 3 american cities where you don't need a car and can rely on public transportation, i think it's pretty cool, op.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
you gotta understand like 90%of those shootings are a reaction to "twitter beef" between high school kids

there used to be a couple of big monolithic gang families in chicago but then the police popped the leadership and they splintered into thousands of little petty gangs that all hate each other so every block is feuding with every other one and someone has always been talking poo poo on fb or twitter

this drama does not generally involve anyone who isn't gang affiliated or within a ~50 foot radius of someone who is. the real issue is that since marksmanship is so lamentable due to there being no gun ranges in chi every now and then someone accidentally shoots a toddler and the contemptible pieces of poo poo that run the city have to pretend to care for a week

whats it like living in chicago hmmm in the video op posted where they're all fighting over the gun and the white dude just strolls on past la dee da that's pretty apt imagery to give you the feeling of it

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
shootings per capita still way lower than the dirty south

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i have family that live there, when i visit they remind me to stay away from streets with numbers in it lmao

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
north side is white and safer, stay away from south and west sides

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Lufiron posted:

north side is white and safer, stay away from south and west sides

i heard hipsters now control the west side territory. confirm/deny?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Chicago owns and is fun but there is seriously so much crime.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i heard hipsters now control the west side territory. confirm/deny?

deny. andersonville is hipsterdom

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
I mean there's wicker park and lol going west of that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The deaths are even more since the chicago PD uses the old reclassify trick to make the homicide numbers seem lower.

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io8ALjg4ajE

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hooded Reptile posted:

Since the first of the year, nearly 2,400 people have been shot -- more than 350 killed.

I just read about this and it seems like you guys live in a warzone or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFbvqvaa6dc

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is it genocide?
Cause I can still hear his momma cry, know the family traumatized
Shots left holes in his face, bout piranha-size
The old pastor closed the cold casket
And said the church ain’t got enough room for all the tombs
It’s a war going on outside, we ain’t safe from
I feel the pain in my city wherever I go
314 soldiers died in Iraq
509 died in Chicago

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFbvqvaa6dc

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpj39Znv0oA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80eLcxEUtNI

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Chicago pizza is awful

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Lufiron and Wiffle have it pretty right. As long as you're at the poverty line and do not appear gang affiliated(i.e. you a cracker), you can live in a fairly ethnic neighborhood of the city and be quite safe, even if there is heavy gang activity near by. Places like Pilsen and Albany/Irving Park have some heavy gang poo poo going on but in 6 years I've never found myself in the danger zone. Just don't stop in the lovely places, they're pretty obvious unless youre dense as gently caress, op.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Chicago pizza is awful

actually it's the best pizza in the world. glad we could clear that up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it's basically a cheaper, more dangerous version of New York that has a big inferiority complex.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Chicago is cool. If you're white and live in a neighborhood that isn't a shithole (which you will, because you're white) you're fine.

If they hadn't torn down the housing projects and displaced all those gangs into the rest of the South side there wouldn't be so much bullshit and tiny little turf wars, but oh well.

Also the chicago police are underfunded, understaffed, and have a history of horrible practices relating to gangs. Rather than police neighborhoods they just occasionally take out the leaders, making things even worse.

Pizza is good but deep dish isn't the norm, and we've got some of the best ex-pat Mexican joints you can loving imagine. Plus chicago style hotdogs are unrivaled in the hotdog world unless you're some kind of useless scrub. Our hockey team is p good.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 11, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nefarious posted:

actually it's the best pizza in the world. glad we could clear that up

everywere else use New York style.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Turns out they are lying and there are actually even more murders than the official numbers indicate. Here's a great, but very long, article about how they basically just lie to keep the numbers down.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2014/Chicago-crime-rates/

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

NomChompsky posted:

Our hockey team is p good.

And by some miracle the cubs are doing OK this year.

Look, if you want real danger, as a white guy in Chicago, make a big show of putting ketchup on a Chicago style hot dog.

Most of the pizza sold here is actually St. Louis style, which is cut into squares and usually made by illegal mexicans. It's pretty lovely, IMO. There is the occasional New York style joint, which is usually good. The thing they call deep dish is really more of a pizza style casserole, which is fine if you like casseroles but some people have a hard time calling it pizza.

We got ethnic food joints out the wazoo. Seriously good poo poo., Infact, quality food is so umbiquitious that fast food joints are sparse. Like I can count on one hand the number of taco bells i've seen in the city.

Most of the fried chicken sucks, hth.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 11, 2015

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
20% of chicago's population is comprised of middle aged men who look exactly like chris farley in the da bears sketch

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

everywere else use New York style.

hmm i see well if it's good enough for papa johns then it must be best

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nefarious posted:

Pizza Huts Big New Yorker was bettrer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nefarious posted:

papa john is poo poo in more ways than one.
New York style pizza is still the best

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

Hooded Reptile posted:

2,300 of those people have probably been shot in a square mile radius. I dont live there so Chicago is pretty good.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
new york style is 3rd after chicago and that brick oven poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nefarious posted:

new york style is 3rd after chicago and that brick oven poo poo

gently caress your two step pizza

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
PIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
There are 2,700,000 or so people in Chicago. 2400? Like the drunk said to the doctor who asked "Do you have more than two drinks a day", "Hell, Doc, I spill more than that."

That is to say, it's less than 1% of the population, and not even distributed evenly throughout the city. Most people living there can go through their lives as if none of it ever happens. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Probably bad, because it means a whole neighborhoods are more or less disposable.

• Locked thread