Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Yaldabaoth posted:

The rich secretly see global climate change as a plus since it will kill off millions of poor people

actually it'll be because our carrying capacity will crash because industrial farming will be curtailed in the name of preventing climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

actually it'll be because our carrying capacity will crash because industrial farming will be curtailed in the name of preventing climate change

(which is not a result of human beings but rather, the heat of the star that our planet orbits)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
if i was going to be worried about anything it would be a "pole shift" caused by forces within our planets crust. that would be a pretty big problem, but not really something anyone could do anything about. or a meteor.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
like if we got hit by a meteor that, yeah sure blew up some stuff and made it cloudy. but a bigger problem might be if it altered our axial tilt or altered our orbit slightly. that would probably be bad.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
or like whatever happened to the planet that used to be between mars and jupiter that we refer to as "The asteroid belt" instead of "the planet that got destroyed for some reason"

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I think we're all agreed here that the rich are going to use climate change to kill us all, we just differ on the method

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i guess there are a lot of things to be worried about, but not a lot we can do about it so maybe we should spend more time trying help people and being kind to one another and put our faith in jesus christ to handle the rest.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
So will my job sandblasting poo poo tanks still be secured in the robot rich man future?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

or like whatever happened to the planet that used to be between mars and jupiter that we refer to as "The asteroid belt" instead of "the planet that got destroyed for some reason"

tbqh i dont understand why people arent talking about this more. its kind of a big deal. i mean it was a whole frikken planet. it probably has something to do why all life on mars has been forced into underground ice caves as well.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

So will my job sandblasting poo poo tanks still be secured in the robot rich man future?

there will probably be a lot of sand as our sun begins to radiate more energy, burning through our atmosphere, ultimately killing all life on earth

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you dont hear a lot talk about what will happen when our universe reaches a state of maximum entropy and succumbs to heat death on the news these days. it seems like that would be a pretty big deal that no one can do anything about as well.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

dad gay. so what posted:

you dont hear a lot talk about what will happen when our universe reaches a state of maximum entropy and succumbs to heat death on the news these days. it seems like that would be a pretty big deal that no one can do anything about as well.

this is already having an effect on life on earth, our civilization is crumbling due to the increasing amount of entropy in the universe

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Yaldabaoth posted:

this is already having an effect on life on earth, our civilization is crumbling due to the increasing amount of entropy in the universe

no thats empathy, its different

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i am going to be a robot's lapdog, can't wait

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

i am going to be a robot's lapdog, can't wait

for halloween?

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich

gary oldmans diary posted:

im pretty sure this isnt the 1930s anymore
you would be delusionally self-pitying to think mentalities of today are overall just as bad as during the gilded age
you've never had a real job, have you?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

why do we all talk about the robot future like they're going to be perfect replicating devices when you know drat well that people will be the ones making them and we're deeply flawed.

robots dont fix errors they replicate them and multiply them.

robots wont succumb to the normal laws of nature and improve. the 4th generation of robot built robots will be spinning in circles and randomly exploding because some nob who wrote the code for gen 1 200 years earlier had a bit out of place which has now spread all over the whole code because in the end a robot built robot would be a clone copying errors and not improving itself.

i dont care either way as i fix robots for a living so i'll be set right up until i die. probably crushed by one because im an idiot on day and forgot to do something while fixing one.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

why do we all talk about the robot future like they're going to be perfect replicating devices when you know drat well that people will be the ones making them and we're deeply flawed.

robots dont fix errors they replicate them and multiply them.

robots wont succumb to the normal laws of nature and improve. the 4th generation of robot built robots will be spinning in circles and randomly exploding because some nob who wrote the code for gen 1 200 years earlier had a bit out of place which has now spread all over the whole code because in the end a robot built robot would be a clone copying errors and not improving itself.

i dont care either way as i fix robots for a living so i'll be set right up until i die. probably crushed by one because im an idiot on day and forgot to do something while fixing one.

you dont care about your death?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

dad gay. so what posted:

you dont care about your death?

i'll care when im dead. until then i have some chaff to eliminate from the labor pool

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

i'll care when im dead. until then i have some chaff to eliminate from the labor pool

i think you are just trying to sound like youre real tough and you dont have a heart of gold, because society (or lord vader) has told you its "weak". follow your heart, not the crowd. trust your instincts.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
remember when people in the 19th and 20th century predicted the future and they thought we'd all have flying cars by now lol

seriously though don't even try to predict the future you'll just look dumb.

i mean look at that diner scene from back to the future 2 or whatever

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

The Saurus posted:

remember when people in the 19th and 20th century predicted the future and they thought we'd all have flying cars by now lol

"predicting the future can be inaccurate, let us not talk of anything that may or may not be happening in the world."

Hey, all I know is that my crap job can be replaced right now with existing tech, as with all of my friends and family. We all know someone whose company fired some people, and instead of filling in the gap with new hires, they dump more work onto the existing hires. Automation will mean more of that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Saurus posted:

They did set up a really good joke for when they released that fake hoverboard commercial for april fools or whatever though.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

and so on, and so on *uncontrollable tick* pure ideology

let me tell you this joke from the yugoslav army *snort*

in the glorious automated future everyone will have their own personal zizekbot

reavor
Jul 24, 2013
Of interest to this thread, the construction of robots producing other robots, and that learn from previous experiences:

http://www.zmescience.com/science/robotics/robot-replication-evolution-4728392/

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is the robot that will probably start putting people out of jobs in many different places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmTX9QotGk

But the music is so jaunty! :kiddo:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

sheer volume, so clearly their system is the most suitable for survival

there are lots of organisms on earth that beat us, by total volume. bacteria a bugs have us beat by a long mile

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Three-Phase posted:

This is the robot that will probably start putting people out of jobs in many different places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmTX9QotGk

But the music is so jaunty! :kiddo:

chinas going to be in trouble if that thing can put together an ipad

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Honestly we'll see cheap vacations on alpha centauri before we see mechanical automation replace labour.

Indentured genetically modified worker class humanoids however is definetly within 50 years.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
video in OP is legit. its interesting to think how we'll cope. money as a concept will probably have to go out the door, if we dont all die we'll come out the other side better

however, everybody alive now will probably d ie int he transition phase

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

video in OP is legit. its interesting to think how we'll cope. money as a concept will probably have to go out the door, if we dont all die we'll come out the other side better

nah, there's always more poo poo to own. i bet if we dont blow our selves up first the solar system will look like EVE Online within the next 50-100 years, billions of automatic battleships fighting over chunks of rock to consume for more space credits

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rutibex posted:

nah, there's always more poo poo to own. i bet if we dont blow our selves up first the solar system will look like EVE Online within the next 50-100 years, billions of automatic battleships fighting over chunks of rock to consume for more space credits

i think the notion is what we want will become less... relevant to the equation.

either way, one thing for certain is it nothing we think now will change what will happen lol. just chill out and enjoy

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I automate things for a living with robots so uh, I'm gonna be busy. gently caress.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bastard Tetris posted:

I automate things for a living with robots so uh, I'm gonna be busy. gently caress.

you should automate your own job first, then you can just chill

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Honestly we'll see cheap vacations on alpha centauri before we see mechanical automation replace labour.

Indentured genetically modified worker class humanoids however is definetly within 50 years.

Pfft. It'll probably be cheaper to just vacuum out the brains of third-world infants, replace the higher brain with a rudimentary AI and pump them up to premature adulthood with growth hormones. Walking, talking human biodrones, ready to replace every service industry job from executive assistant to door greeter to prostitute.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
That ends with robo-sherman burning down neo-atlanta.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ronwayne posted:

That ends with robo-sherman burning down neo-atlanta.

would

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyLeeKyOT
Sep 28, 2015
i'm a literal fucking piece of shit who calls the cops on poor people just so i can stuff my and my wife's fat fucking faces with whataburger!!!!!!!! if you see me on the street please kick my ass!!!!
I've been doing robotics as a career for 10 years. I can't wait guaranteed job anywhere! Jump on board, you see the wave coming. Get some electronics, PLC, mechanic, computer repair type experience and run with it. Not everything is really technical. The kiosks used for ordering food are just a computer, touchscreen and some basic networking. If you are good with technology, can work on computers, and know a little networking than you can be a service tech on numerous machines (Red box, coinstar, vending machines, any touch screen kiosks, ATM's, etc. It's not as hard as it seems if you have an interest and already kinda into that stuff. Most people on something awful are pretty tech savvy or else you wouldn't even know about this place...

WhyLeeKyOT fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 14, 2015

• Locked thread