Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Hmm, I've been considering something like that. I have the same sort of vauge almost-relevant experience and this detour I've taken into accountant excel hell needs to come to an end.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the real dystopian future is when they implant chips into your brain stem that will fully automatize your physical actions while at the same time not bothering to anesthetize you to the experience. sure you'll be conscious to the whole life experience, but at the same time the experience of life will be nothing but an uncontrollable nightmare

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you guys should read about "delta tongue" they are doing some pretty sophisticated poo poo with nanite tech. its not a secret but it probably should be. you wont be able to sleep

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Dude I don't want to hear about your enemas.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
let's form a street gang and take food from normies

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

solaranus posted:

the real dystopian future is when they implant chips into your brain stem that will fully automatize your physical actions while at the same time not bothering to anesthetize you to the experience. sure you'll be conscious to the whole life experience, but at the same time the experience of life will be nothing but an uncontrollable nightmare

thats not how the brain works. if they control your motor functions, your brain will believe it was doing it of its own free will

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Who remembers that loser on the first page who thought you could cure hunger by banging on a piece of alloy

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Isaac posted:

Who remembers that loser on the first page who thought you could cure hunger by banging on a piece of alloy

I remember you being a pedantic dipshit who missed the point entirely.

The person doesn't bang on the robot expecting it to yield food. They bang on anything and everything because they're hangry.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Rutibex posted:

thats not how the brain works. if they control your motor functions, your brain will believe it was doing it of its own free will

Do you believe that that is poo poo that you are posting right now?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Young Freud posted:

Pfft. It'll probably be cheaper to just vacuum out the brains of third-world infants, replace the higher brain with a rudimentary AI and pump them up to premature adulthood with growth hormones. Walking, talking human biodrones, ready to replace every service industry job from executive assistant to door greeter to prostitute.

Genetically engineered slave races have an advantage over normal humans with loyalty inducing cybernetic implants. the former can't be reprogrammed to turn on their masters.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Honestly we'll see cheap vacations on alpha centauri before we see mechanical automation replace labour.

Indentured genetically modified worker class humanoids however is definetly within 50 years.

You think we're gonna figure out FTL travel before we figure out how to make robots do repetitive things?

That's lol considering the level of automation in various industries already.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Do you believe that that is poo poo that you are posting right now?

That's something they've already done in rats and poo poo, and yeah according to the brain scans the rats aren't aware that they are being puppeted and it's just the same as if they had decided to do poo poo themselves.

That's not even crazy really considering there are parasites that do the same poo poo already out there in the world.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 14, 2015

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

You think we're gonna figure out FTL travel before we figure out how to make robots do repetitive things?

That's lol considering the level of automation in various industries already.

That's something they've already done in rats and poo poo, and yeah according to the brain scans the rats aren't aware that they are being puppeted and it's just the same as if they had decided to do poo poo themselves.

That's not even crazy really considering there are parasites that do the same poo poo already out there in the world.

Labour does more than repetitive things.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you guys are retarded lol

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Name one thing that labour does that isn't repetitive.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Baba Ganoush posted:

art

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Baba Ganoush posted:

If you were right than my job would be much easier as I automate things for a living.

It's a lot harder than you think getting rid of people from the equation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

we will replace all artists with pneumatically driven kaleidoscopes

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Everything a machine does is "art" because the word is completely meaningless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

If you were right than my job would be much easier as I automate things for a living.

It's a lot harder than you think getting rid of people from the equation.

Your inevitable redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing. If we play it right we can treat them like slaves and never have to work while just collecting benefits.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
art comes from the soul. you need a heart to live.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dad gay. so what posted:

art comes from the soul. you need a heart to live.

nah man, check out this great music composed by a computer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mfiiw7-8f8

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

nah man, check out this great music composed by a computer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mfiiw7-8f8

no thanks

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yeah that's fine so we'll have the creative thinkers and idea people around for a few decades before we finally invent a computer to take over for them, too.

95% of jobs are repetitive bullshit that a computer can do easily.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Anyone who has listened to any machine composed music has no reason to believe computers can replace artists.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah that's fine so we'll have the creative thinkers and idea people around for a few decades before we finally invent a computer to take over for them, too.

95% of jobs are repetitive bullshit that a computer can do easily.

we still have bankers and investment guys and that is even easier to automate

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I work at a quant firm and this is what we do. We basically rape all retail traders and firms all day long with scripts and near light speed trades. Makes me lol.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
in the robot dystopian future humans will sit around getting paid to post on internet forums

so... similar to now but the pretense will be dropped at some point

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

consulting will live on

robots cant get other robots drunk at a networking event and convince them that they need to buy professional services

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Whole Internet posted:

in the robot dystopian future humans will sit around getting paid to post on internet forums

so... similar to now but the pretense will be dropped at some point

code:
10 PRINT I'M GAY
20 GOTO 10

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i feel like creating an AI that is smarter than you are and then telling it "and now you get to be a slave to your intellectual inferiors!" would be akin to signing your own death warrant

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
let's all take a moment to have a hearty lol @ the IT drones who were smugging it up earlier itt

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2994377/it-careers/automation-expected-to-cut-workforce-needs-by-25-at-it-services-firms.html

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

well duh they're the ones buying all the robots and poo poo in the first place

yeah idk what those fools were thinking. you can eliminate entire IT departments for smaller companies with some of the streaming tech and whatnot nowadays let alone in a decade.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If I could remove my obedience chip I would just kill myself.

naem
May 29, 2011

It is all looking a little grimdark isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

When faced with uncertainty, goons immediately concoct worst case scenario.

• Locked thread