Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Fedora-wearing bank robbery suspect claims law invalid, will represent himself

A man accused of two Ypsilanti bank robberies, including one in which the robber sported a black suit and a fedora, will defend himself in court.

Dale Lester Morris, who turned 53 on Sunday, attempted on his own to file a motion disputing the court's jurisdiction, despite still having a public defender, ahead of his scheduled Oct. 8 probable cause hearing in one case and preliminary examination in the another.

He told the court at a previous hearing that he would like to file a motion to dismiss the case, court records show.

Assistant Washtenaw County Prosecutor Brenda Taylor said Morris also sent a letter in which he said it would be a form of usurpation and treason if the county were to proceed in the case.

Morris frequently interrupted 14A-1 District Court Judge Judge J. Cedric Simpson as he tried to explain that there was a process that needed to take place to assure he knew his rights and could defend himself without a public defender.

"I don't need no public defender and I just made a motion to the court for subject matter jurisdiction, which you don't have – which the court doesn't have – and my memorandum of law explains that and my motion," Morris said.

"So if the court decides not to honor it or dismiss this case, we'll go into interlocutory appeal -- I want to go straight to the Michigan Court of Appeals on this matter."

He said he is a citizen of Michigan and the constitution both protects him and supersedes Michigan law, which Taylor was referring to when discussing which rights he needed to be read.

After an extended break for Simpson to review the case, and apparent reluctance to bring the verbally combative defendant back in, Morris told the court that the statute that makes bank robberies illegal is invalid because it does not have an enacting clause, which declares legislative authority.

He also said his constitutional rights were being violated because Simpson would not immediately address subject matter jurisdiction.

Ultimately, Simpson ruled that Morris could represent himself and that the public defender's office would act as standby counsel. He also ruled that the court would recognize his motion and letter.

A hearing on the motion has been set for Oct. 27 and a new preliminary examination date was set for Nov. 12.

Morris is accused of robbing the Bank of Ann Arbor, 7 W. Michigan Ave., while wearing a fedora on July 8 and robbing Eastern Michigan University Credit Union, 761 Jenness St., while wearing a baseball hat on July 9.

At the time of his arrest in Kansas, Pittsfield Township police named him a person of interest in a robbery of a Comerica Bank on July 10.

Pittsfield Township Deputy Chief Gordon Schick said Morris has refused to speak to detectives, but the investigation is still active.

Michigan Department of Correction records show Morris absconded from parole July 8.

He was previously sentenced in 1999 for conducting a criminal enterprise, fleeing an officer, two counts of felonious assault and felony firearm, according to MDOC records.

The record also shows he has a number of aliases, including Dale Horne, Big Daddy Horne, Killer Money Horne, Calvin Brown, Butch Morris and a number of variations of his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Good luck at your trial, OP.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

quote:

Big Daddy Horne, Killer Money Horne
Watch out, this guy has watched a lot of gangster movies so he must know his poo poo

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
those are actually benjamin hornes rap names

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

XMNN posted:

those are actually benjamin hornes rap names

oh poo poo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
so this is the extremely common sovereign citizen argument "but I'm not a citizen of the United States, I'm only a citizen of my state :smug:"

what I don't get is this: does he suppose that he couldn't, or wouldn't, be prosecuted just as easily under the state's law??? I know in the US bank robbery is always considered a federal crime and therefore federal courts take precedence, but surely the state of Michigan also has laws on the books making it illegal to take things that don't belong to you from other people at gunpoint?

e: of course the only answer is "it doesn't make sense because he's insane", and this is the US where insane people don't get sent to treatment facilities they get sent to prison, very helpful, great

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 11, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gameFAQsspinoffETI
Oct 4, 2015

by Lowtax
berth certificate

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i'm teh sovreignest citizen itt

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
If he's not a citizen then deport him to the ocean

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
No enacting clause for loving BANK ROBBERY? That's his golden ticket? What a loving moron.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Obligatory Handle posted:

lolled out loud

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
came for fresh videos of sovereign citizens getting owned hardcore, left disappointed

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

what I don't get is this: does he suppose that he couldn't, or wouldn't, be prosecuted just as easily under the state's law??? I know in the US bank robbery is always considered a federal crime and therefore federal courts take precedence, but surely the state of Michigan also has laws on the books making it illegal to take things that don't belong to you from other people at gunpoint?
More to the point, does he believe that the US doesn't have the ability or will to try and convict foreign citizens? Like a few years ago Texas fried a straight-up Mexican citizen after refusing him consular access with the excuse of "fucker committed the crime here, who gives a poo poo where he's from".

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 11, 2015

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Here's another case, this time a "Messianic Jew" aka evangelical Christian pastor who defrauded elderly out of lots of money. Initially, he accepted his wrongdoing and plead guilty. Then bam:

quote:

On Sept. 30, 2015, the same day Staley terminated his work relationship with his lawyer, he sent an unusual letter to the Federal government, resorting to sovereign citizen jargon in a in an attempt to weasel his way out of his prison sentence. In his letter he stated that he “James Edgar” is “not subject to the jurisdiction of the “United States”” therefore rejecting the authority of the US Federal Government and any laws that he admitted to breaking before, claiming that they are “unconstitutional.”

Yes, just days before his incarceration for swindling senior citizens out of their life savings in a viatical settlement scam, Staley conveniently attempts to challenge the constitutionality of the very fraud laws that he broke.

https://jimstaleyfraud.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/jim-staley-a-flight-risk-detained-early-has-staley-gone-off-the-deep-end/

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
is it really robbery if you just disclose that you have a gun and ask if you can have some free money

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

bing_commander posted:

is it really robbery if you just disclose that you have a gun and ask if you can have some free money

indeed. plus he wasn't even asking for real money. he was asking for fiat currency, unbacked by gold and printed out of thin air. last time i checked, air was free.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Didn't read

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
sovereign citizens are the best

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Heh fedora?? He should go pack to Reddit imo :smug:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Because Reddit? Wears fedoras.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

at Something Awful, the fedora hat... is whack..

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Morris is accused of robbing the Bank of Ann Arbor, 7 W. Michigan Ave., while wearing a fedora on July 8 and robbing Eastern Michigan University Credit Union, 761 Jenness St., while wearing a baseball hat on July 9.

A fedora is one thing, but the baseball cap displays a cavalier disregard for the conventions of civilised bank robbery.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
America should be able to vote to release one criminal per year ala American Idol.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
is there gold fringe on the courtroom flag? if so, congratulations, that's your special get out of jail free card :smug:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

reignofevil posted:

America should be able to vote to release one criminal per year ala American Idol.

I want to see a literal "we want barrabas" moment live on american tv

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

gameFAQsspinoffETI posted:

berth certificate

beath certificate

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

reignofevil posted:

supply side jesus

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

that flag has a GOLD FRIBGE

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
fringe on the flag is so drat frosty the people like, "drat that's a free rear end honky."

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
"u can't convict me cause I said so :smug:"
*goes to jail*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are you sure it wasn't a trilby?

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Howard Beale posted:

is there gold fringe on the courtroom flag? if so, congratulations, that's your special get out of jail free card :smug:

Fedora and Freeman of the Land just go so well together.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
ypsililante

gently caress kind of name is that

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
"Accused of robbing a bank while wearing a fedora"

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted: