Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's pretty clear from the title: the last Metal Gear Solid game I was able to play was the third one, which was a good while back. I need to know if it got gayer, or the same level. Are the bosses still really silly? Has there ever been a villain more poo poo-eating-grin ridiculous/great than The Pain? Are the butts still really suspiciously well-defined? Is Raiden just, like, gone? What does "Metal Gear" refer to in games 4 and 5? I appreciate your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
idk op but your mother likes my solid gear

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
i ordered a cheap copy on eBay, should get here early this week. please close thread for the next month or so and reopen it 11/11/15 and ill weigh in with my opinion of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kuato posted:

i ordered a cheap copy on eBay, should get here early this week. please close thread for the next month or so and reopen it 11/11/15 and ill weigh in with my opinion of it.

can i just post fanart of The Pain in the interim

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Last one i played was four and it was real real bad for the reals.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I stopped playing the metal gear series when MGS2 stopped me from being lovable badass solid snake and forced me to play as waifish anime fag raiden instead

MGS5 is the one where you ride a horse and you can slide down the side so the guards are like "huh, just one of those wild horses we see all the time" but it's so boring that they fast forward past it in the demos right?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

It's pretty clear from the title: the last Metal Gear Solid game I was able to play was the third one, which was a good while back. I need to know if it got gayer, or the same level. Are the bosses still really silly? Has there ever been a villain more poo poo-eating-grin ridiculous/great than The Pain? Are the butts still really suspiciously well-defined? Is Raiden just, like, gone? What does "Metal Gear" refer to in games 4 and 5? I appreciate your help.

master miller and revolver ocelot still want to gently caress big boss.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Saurus posted:

I stopped playing the metal gear series when MGS2 stopped me from being lovable badass solid snake and forced me to play as waifish anime fag raiden instead

Did you even play these games? :psyduck:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

master miller and revolver ocelot still want to gently caress big boss.

like more than everyone else does or??...

because pretty sure everyone wants to gently caress big boss :3:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
lol if you watch mgs cut scenes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

like more than everyone else does or??...

because pretty sure everyone wants to gently caress big boss :3:

solid snake didn't

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

solid snake didn't

that would be gross <:colbert:>

yeah so gross I put extra huff arms on the colbert emoticon <<:colbert:>>

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

4 got weird. its not bad but if your gonna skip one it would be a good one to skip

5 seems ok

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w1nshKehd8

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mgs 4 was peak kojima

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

this is the gayest thing iv'e seen all day and i updated my webcomic

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

this is the gayest thing iv'e seen all day and i updated my webcomic

it does not surprise me whatsoever that you have a webcomic

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oftentimes the guys stare with that buttfucky look at each other

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

raiden came back in metal gear rising but that was honestly the least gay metal gear yet

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

4: far too linear. has amazing attention to detail, graphics, controls, tons and tons and tons of cool ways to play with the game world... but for most of the game, you can't really take advantage of these features. The best part is South America chapter and even that is too short. Story is good, 2nd best in the series following 3.
5: so "open world" it keeps you from enjoying the open world. having to use the helicopter sucks. Kept and expanded on all the good things about 4 so it still manages to be a great game, but my god is it stupid. Fails to strike an enjoyable balance between trying (so hard!) to be realistic and including fantasy elements. Also gets a lot of the technical stuff wrong, but in ways that probably wouldn't bother most people. worst story and characters of entire series.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Doctor Dogballs posted:

4: far too linear. has amazing attention to detail, graphics, controls, tons and tons and tons of cool ways to play with the game world... but for most of the game, you can't really take advantage of these features. The best part is South America chapter and even that is too short. Story is good, 2nd best in the series following 3.
5: so "open world" it keeps you from enjoying the open world. having to use the helicopter sucks. Kept and expanded on all the good things about 4 so it still manages to be a great game, but my god is it stupid. Fails to strike an enjoyable balance between trying (so hard!) to be realistic and including fantasy elements. Also gets a lot of the technical stuff wrong, but in ways that probably wouldn't bother most people. worst story and characters of entire series.

I hate it when my videogames arent realistic

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
i watched a few hour of an mgs4 lp by tipping forties and it seemed like it was 90% cutscenes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

4 ended with two old men having a shirtless fistfight/grope session.

5 is just base level gay at best.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm really glad that the game designers forced lovely garbage gamer men to sit through that dancing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

4 ended with two old men having a shirtless fistfight/grope session.

i know, i did watch that, someone tipped me off that it was Enjoyable

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Pick posted:

I'm really glad that the game designers forced lovely garbage gamer men to sit through that dancing

sorry :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA28-cm9DeA

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The Saurus posted:

i watched a few hour of an mgs4 lp by tipping forties and it seemed like it was 90% cutscenes.

thats accurate

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Saurus posted:

the other 10% was cutscenes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

awwwwwwww

oh well. there's always raikov.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
mg2v was actually pretty cool and good sorry youre missing out op

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my favorite thing about the mgs series is having no idea what's real, i felt this way when i first saw ocelot do his lil meow call

not the :ocelot: , the other one

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

mg2v was actually pretty cool and good sorry youre missing out op

can't speak for everyone, but I am making fun of the characters, not the games

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
although MGS4 was terrible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my last non-handhold console was a playstation 2 so pick misses out

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
mgs4 was sort of fun but it had really quite a lot of cutscenes and not enough game

mgs5 owns bones

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Rahu posted:

mgs5 owns bones

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I hate it when my videogames arent realistic

lol thats not my point at all

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

man now i wanna play mgs5 but my ps4 controller is synched to my mac right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Doctor Dogballs posted:

lol thats not my point at all

I don't care

• Locked thread