Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

wdarkk posted:

SRW T lets you recruit GLEMY TOTO for some godforsaken reason, and it's probably because the Queen Mansa is cool as heck.

We need more options to recruit the robot but eject characters like glemy into space forever. ZZ already gives us like half a dozen characters like judau's friends who could pilot it instead of glemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Obviously the trailer is the trailer but Iria sounds neutral and professional about the whole thing, but that's also a distinct difference from the rhetoric of the guy who's initially screaming for help to later shouting about Zeon spreading across the Earth.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I can fix her

Someone thinking this is how Katejina happened in the first place!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The thing about a Zeon story set during the OYW is there's like... only so many 'types' of stories you can tell because it's Zeon in the OYW. They don't exactly lend themselves for a broad width of stories because they're the aggressor in the war and every zeon story either ha to acknowledge or deftly side step the gassings, the colony drop, the "Is the Aggressor" part. After the OYW you can tell a lot of stories because they're remnants and there's a bunch of different creed and mindsets going on.

Actually, I think there's one story they haven't told and it's one story they'll likely never tell. Zeon has a pretty high concentration of african earthnoid collaborators. In Unicorn there's the obvious "Muslim Anti-French" positioning but like the African front from the Zeon side would be interesting to get actual exploration of that relationship that in-depth look at the conflict... But of course to do that you'd have to make the cast mostly african men. And if religion becomes involved then hoo, hoooooooo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's very easy to do a character-focused story about people wrapped up in a larger conflict without the ideology of that conflict consuming the entire narrative. It's what Mobile Suit Gundam itself does all the time.

There's a ton of different angles you can take with Zeon characters in the One Year War without cheerleading for fascism. Hell, just using Mobile Suit Gundam alone: You have the honorable but clueless romantic aristocrat angle(Garma), the professional soldier who doesn't really want to be there but is following orders because he's a soldier and he's fighting for his men(Ramba Ral), the mysterious super ace who is working his own agenda(Char), the professional soldiers who really do want to be there and are totally into it(Tri-Stars), the smarmy dickhead officer who will do anything for his own gain(M'Quve), the grunts who aren't bad people but are caught up in a bad conflict(those dudes who drop the supplies for the refugees), and so on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You could do Zeon Dirty Dozen, Zeon Three Kings, Zeon How I Won The War…

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It literally shows the lead character becoming disillusioned with the cause in the trailer! That by itself strongly suggests that this isn’t going to be like Igloo!

Stop getting mad at new Gundam stuff before it’s even out! I don’t know why you people insist on assuming the worst about every upcoming Gundam project that doesn’t look exactly like the specific new Gundam thing you want. Sure, it could be bad. There have been multiple bad Gundam things before. But there have been more good Gundams than bad Gundams. This is a franchise which I believe has earned at least cautious optimism.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Meanwhile, if your expectations are firmly at bedrock, you can always be pleasantly surprised.

Fivemarks posted:

I think its super 100% fair to be suspicious when the franchise that has a habit of making people literal space nazis and then going "Glory to the Space Nazis they were oppressed victims and the doomed moral victors" has a story about the Space Nazis Fighting in Eastern Europe against a foe their own propaganda calls inferior to them, and that story is being made by fan dudes who worked on Warhammer 40k fan stuff but in the "WOW COOL SPACE MENS" Department not the "Satire of authoritarian totalitarianism" department, and the trailer for it is playing up a bunch of the stuff we were all worried about.

Like, there's two kinds of 40k fan projects: Gets that poo poo sucks, like Emperor Text to Speech; or thinks the Imperium is the good guys. And I think its safe to be concerned that teh guys making this are in the "Thinks the Imperium is the Good Guys" camp and worry when that's being applied to Gundam, which often has a "The Space Nazis are the Good Guys" problem.

Edit: I would totally watch a Zeon focused gundam series made by the Emperor Text To Speech guys.

Fivemarks is right. And also same.

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't think this is actually a franchise habit in any substantive way

0083, Igloo, Unicorn, 08th if you squint... that's at least 4 nickels off the top of my head and I don't have the depth of knowledge needed to dive into instances in the manga. I'm not touching SRW even though in my opinion SRW30 did Narrative better than Narrative, it's firmly in the 'fanfiction' category and thus ineligible.

Gaius Marius posted:

I can fix her

Chronicle Asher parachute account spotted.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

0083, Igloo, Unicorn, 08th if you squint... that's at least 4 nickels off the top of my head and I don't have the depth of knowledge needed to dive into instances in the manga. I'm not touching SRW even though in my opinion SRW30 did Narrative better than Narrative, it's firmly in the 'fanfiction' category and thus ineligible.

Unicorn had a scene of a sympathetic character defending Zeon's atrocities, and then the usually kind and cautious protagonist beat the ever-living poo poo out of him, as the guy's friends just sat back and let it happen. It might downplay some things, but I was shocked after finally watching it to hear people talk about it as a pro-Zeon show.

Heck, I'd say if you put it on a Gundam scale as an anime, it's more notable as being an unusually pro Federation series, as it's the first show that actually presents the Federation as an organization people defend on its policies, rather than just being "Well, they're not Zeon."

I'd say the most pro-Zeon stuff outside of Igloo is in the manga. But there's a crazy wide spread in the manga, from Char catfishing Kamille in MMOs to whatever the hell Mad Wang is. Hard to pin things down to a single position.

Kanos posted:

It's absolutely not because of any kind of ideological statement. It's because Gato was/is an extremely popular rival while Cima is a glorified bit character who has most of her character offloaded to material from outside the series itself. SRW also periodically lets you ally with/recruit Haman and it's entirely because Haman is cool as hell.

That's pushing things pretty far into overreaction territory. Cima's not one of the three leads like Gato, but she's a major player in the supporting cast, with her own supporting cast, subplots, and even a Gundam of her own. She's also the only character in the entire show who manages to steal a march on Delaz, and if Kou hadn't been so hopped up on revenge and meth, she might have been able to stop Operation Stardust.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unicorn as a series I felt wasn't so pro Zeon as it was pushing more nasty poo poo being pulled by the Federation, and that's before considering the novel was outright stating that the Federation is the UC's continuation of Western foreign policy in the middle east. Or the "Feddies burned down a Zeon Village" beat that makes zero sense. It doesn't absolve Zeon of their atrocities but it does take strides towards suggesting spacenoids were pushed into retaliation by unjust economic conditions and social abuses by the ruling political body. It doesn't make Zeon look better, but it does make the Feds worse and the OYW more of a reap what you sow situation.

Making the Federation responsible for the Original Sin that hosed the Universal Century up kinda changes things. The Feddies becoming worse and worse over time no longer stems from a reactionary slide into corruption and authoritarianism in the aftermath of a genocidal conflict. It's just business as usual; they were scumbags who hosed the colonies before, got a black eye in return, and then kept kicking down those uppity spacenoids after they eventually won Space WW2.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 27, 2024

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Unicorn as a series I felt wasn't so pro Zeon as it was pushing more nasty poo poo being pulled by the Federation, and that's before considering the novel was outright stating that the Federation is the UC's continuation of Western foreign policy in the middle east. Or the "Feddies burned down a Zeon Village" beat that makes zero sense. It doesn't absolve Zeon of their atrocities but it does take strides towards suggesting spacenoids were pushed into retaliation by unjust economic conditions and social abuses by the ruling political body. It doesn't make Zeon look better, but it does make the Feds worse and the OYW more of a reap what you sow situation.

Making the Federation responsible for the Original Sin that hosed the Universal Century up kinda changes things. The Feddies becoming worse and worse over time no longer stems from a reactionary slide into corruption and authoritarianism in the aftermath of a genocidal conflict. It's just business as usual; they were scumbags who hosed the colonies before, got a black eye in return, and then kept kicking down those uppity spacenoids after they eventually won Space WW2.

The Federation having issues all along was explicitly Tomino's intention with the original show, and within a couple of episodes of the original show the older refugees aboard the White Base mention how the Federation forcibly deported them to space and they never thought they'd be able to go back to Earth again because of the Federation. We also get scenes of Federation soldiers being drunkards abusing civilians they're meant to be protecting contrasted against Zeon soldiers in a run of episodes being genuinely good people in various ways. There were always meant to be shades of grey to both sides on some level, with the Zabis taking advantage of conditions the Federation created to hijack a genuine political movement for independence. Unicorn created more nasty poo poo in the Federation's history, but there was always some nasty poo poo to the Federation. The fact they've done bad things and/or that Zeon as a movement had some actual points does not absolve them of their actions because genocide was not the only answer and that's kind of the entire point of the depiction of Zeon in Unicorn itself.

If anything, Unicorn is one of the few shows in UC to explore why people found Zeon attractive as a movement and flocked to it for literal decades despite repeated war crimes and losses as well as actually repeatedly calling out Zeon's actions as not being a defensible response just because of those things. Which includes all of Tomino's UC content; none of which actually gave reasons for why people fought for Zeon in any explicit way. At best you could infer it from context clues.

tsob fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 27, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For similar reasons to those stated, I am also uneasy about the Netflix Zeon anime made by the Unsatirical 40K Fan Film guys.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arc Hammer posted:

Unicorn deciding to have the Federation do a Rape of Nanking with the Zeon Republic government "Selling them" a side 3 colony they were occupying (Which would make no sense but Unicorn's written by an idiot so who cares) lets you know exactly where that story falls on it. Considering the definite depiction as Zeon as Imperial Japan (Not to mention the portrayal of it as near Religion a "Light in Space" as Marida puts it.) no, Unicorn's very clear on being very Pro-Zeon the concept, and yea, the addition of "The federation is Original Sin and actually if not for them we'd all be being ruled by the enlightened newtypes" (Again, please ignore that Zeon Zum Deikun wasn't even alive to conceive of the newtype, and that no sane anything would ever write "If an ubermensch appears we're to surrender the government to them", again, Unicorn is a stupid story written by an idiot)

EDIT: Fukui is the David Cage of Gundam. Unicorn isn't Pro-Zeon in the same way that Detroit: Become Human wasn't about Race.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah there's a lot that I like about Unicorn I just wish the story was better

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务
The Lord Inquisitor's Prologue (Erasmus' previous concept and only released material of his fan film) literally ends in a 4-5 min scene of the Inquisition confronting some corrupt noble and having the Interrogator torment him for discomfortingly long period before just shooting him. Its a scene that's supposed to give all the catharsis of shooting a 'correct' target.

I agree, I don't really think these guys can actually handle the subtlety of things. At most I expect a very wishy washy take on things that's probably going to be disappointing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Onmi posted:

no sane anything would ever write "If an ubermensch appears we're to surrender the government to them

It's probably good that that's not actually what's written then, and you have to intentionally misread plain English to argue it does. I always find it a little funny that people focus so much on the unreality of that clause, while the very next clause, also removed, was about aliens. The point of those two clauses, which were also included by the the Federation's more benign elements by the way, was to give the people the Federation were pushing into space some hope regarding the future (which the conversation between Mineva and the diner owner goes over really), and because those were removed by the worse elements of the new Federation's political leaders, Spacenoids instead had to find their own hope. Which Marida makes clear was in ideologies like Zeon that promised to give Spacenoids some control over their own destiny. Which was the thing that those clauses promised in the first place, even if was just via inclusion (and it is just inclusion; not control) within the government.

Those clauses would never be included in a real government document, but...so what? Gundam includes lots of things that would never be real, and people brush the rest of them off. The purpose of their inclusion was not be a real political goal the show advocates, but to be a point of narrative contention. Which is fine for the same reason mechs and psychics and poo poo are fine as inclusions. It's also worth pointing out that Zeon, as an ideology under the Zabis, did not give a single poo poo about Newtypes and even if those clauses had been left in, it wouldn't have changed anything since the Zabis would still use violence to hijack a political movement and start a war. At best they'd just use very slightly different propaganda to do it. It wouldn't have even changed much about Zeon Zum Deikun's political movement, since his primary goal according the novels was always about making the various Sides independent entities rather than part of a unified government, and forcing everyone to abandon Earth to live in space.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 27, 2024

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

being skeptical or cautious is one thing but its extremely pointless to go all chicken little on something that hasn't even come out yet...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is entirely fair to say 'good lord shut up about the one year war already' though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

tsob posted:

It's probably good that that's not actually what's written then, and you have to intentionally misread plain English to argue it does. I always find it a little funny that people focus so much on the unreality of that clause, while the very next clause, also removed, was about aliens. The point of those two clauses, which were also included by the the Federation's more benign elements by the way, was to give the people the Federation were pushing into space some hope regarding the future (which the conversation between Mineva and the diner owner goes over really), and because those were removed by the worse elements of the new Federation's political leaders, Spacenoids instead had to find their own hope. Which Marida makes clear was in ideologies like Zeon that promised to give Spacenoids some control over their own destiny. Which was the thing that those clauses promised in the first place, even if was just via inclusion (and it is just inclusion; not control) within the government.

Those clauses would never be included in a real government document, but...so what? Gundam includes lots of things that would never be real, and people brush the rest of them off. The purpose of their inclusion was not be a real political goal the show advocates, but to be a point of narrative contention. Which is fine for the same reason mechs and psychics and poo poo are fine as inclusions. It's also worth pointing out that Zeon, as an ideology under the Zabis, did not give a single poo poo about Newtypes and even if those clauses had been left in, it wouldn't have changed anything since the Zabis would still use violence to hijack a political movement and start a war. At best they'd just use very slightly different propaganda to do it. It wouldn't have even changed much about Zeon Zum Deikun's political movement, since his primary goal according the novels was always about making the various Sides independent entities rather than part of a unified government, and forcing everyone to abandon Earth to live in space.

That's a whole lot of words for "We introduced dumb bullshit in this story to justify dumb bullshit in this story that affects the entire timeline."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Onmi posted:

That's a whole lot of words for "We introduced dumb bullshit in this story to justify dumb bullshit in this story that affects the entire timeline."

yeah

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I would rather have more Cosmic Era at this point.

Oh, Wait!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

More Thunderbolt or Tomino UC less Fukui nonsense.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

I would rather have more Cosmic Era at this point.

Oh, Wait!

At least CE has like.

Sequels and stuff.

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务

Onmi posted:

Well, the biggest complaint about Unicorn/Narrative is that it doesn't actually change anyhing on the grander scale and canon is still barrelling towards Hathaway's Flash/Crossbone/Victory despite its retroactive addition, so what are you complaining about?

The betrayal of the promise of the Federation, which the removed clause really represents, is in itself a pretty good plot point among the weird decisions made in both the novel and anime. Why is it 'dumb bullshit'?

Iriscoral fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 27, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It really is dumb bullshit though. Though instead of being funny dumb bullshit, like the entire existence of the colony of Moon Moon, it's just the sort of plot point that when you see it play out, you don't think, wow, the people who wrote this document are stupid. You think, wow, the writer of this work is stupid.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Im still hype to watch some Zakus savage a feddie armored column in whatever this show ends up being.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Unicorn deciding to have the Federation do a Rape of Nanking with the Zeon Republic government "Selling them" a side 3 colony they were occupying (Which would make no sense but Unicorn's written by an idiot so who cares) lets you know exactly where that story falls on it. Considering the definite depiction as Zeon as Imperial Japan (Not to mention the portrayal of it as near Religion a "Light in Space" as Marida puts it.) no, Unicorn's very clear on being very Pro-Zeon the concept, and yea, the addition of "The federation is Original Sin and actually if not for them we'd all be being ruled by the enlightened newtypes" (Again, please ignore that Zeon Zum Deikun wasn't even alive to conceive of the newtype, and that no sane anything would ever write "If an ubermensch appears we're to surrender the government to them", again, Unicorn is a stupid story written by an idiot)

EDIT: Fukui is the David Cage of Gundam. Unicorn isn't Pro-Zeon in the same way that Detroit: Become Human wasn't about Race.

Do you have anything to point to other than "unicorn introduced a more specific and blatant example of the federation doing a bad thing than usual, and it was a little too early in the timeline for it to fall under the titans" because I'm pretty sure the arc of the character that story most effects is that he's a dumb shithead for continuing to carry the zeon banner and loses the person he currently cares about most in the process of seeking revenge for people he already lost.

Like man do people really see that part of episode 4 and then their vision just turns red or something the moment they detect some trace amount of potential problematic allegory

Say what you will about that particular story and the worldview it represents to arrange those elements like that, the work as a whole is definitely not pro zeon or suggestive at all that zeon's actual actions were correct. It just added a "the military occupation post-war did something nasty" background element, which hardly seems like an unrealistic addition to a conflict in gundam (a franchise which, again, had the federation form the titans post-war within like 4 years, which was a very explicit "the occupying force post-war was really nasty" plot point).

I'd also add that "zeon literally replaced religion for us" is an interesting manifestation of "this is how much koolaid you need to drink before you can consider supporting zeon" and it boggles me how people look at that particular plot point and think it's somehow in zeon's favor. You have to actually worship zeon out of an absence of any other authority capable of representing a better future for you to join the cause - like, yeah it helps you sympathize with marida and why she would choose to continue waving the zeon banner, but also that's kind of plainly just sad and pathetic? That zeon supporters literally can't defend their actions or support outside of "look it's genuinely the only thing we have"? Certainly not what I would call a positive depiction

Warmachine posted:

Fivemarks is right. And also same.

0083, Igloo, Unicorn, 08th if you squint... that's at least 4 nickels off the top of my head and I don't have the depth of knowledge needed to dive into instances in the manga. I'm not touching SRW even though in my opinion SRW30 did Narrative better than Narrative, it's firmly in the 'fanfiction' category and thus ineligible..

If we accept unicorn as an example, which I contest, that's about 10% of the franchise's animated works (one of which you had to qualify with "if you squint" lol), the most recent of which was 10 years ago

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 27, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wanted to make a joke about how igloo is to the gundam fandom what that federation led massacre was to zinnerman, but on a quick google there doesn't seem to be an actual name for that event and it doesn't seem to be something that is remotely relevant to anyone else, even unicorn characters. Truly a predictable and inescapable pattern of behavior for the franchise

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Do you have anything to point to other than "unicorn introduced a more specific and blatant example of the federation doing a bad thing than usual, and it was a little too early in the timeline for it to fall under the titans" because I'm pretty sure the arc of the character that story most effects is that he's a dumb shithead for continuing to carry the zeon banner and loses the person he currently cares about most in the process of seeking revenge for people he already lost.

Yeah. Unicorn sucks, the beginning, the middle, the ending. All of it. As I said, it's not Zeon Apologia, in the same way Detroit: Become Human is not about Race. It's definitely just about robots.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that's not really pointing to anything but ok i guess

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

Yeah. Unicorn sucks, the beginning, the middle, the ending. All of it. As I said, it's not Zeon Apologia, in the same way Detroit: Become Human is not about Race. It's definitely just about robots.

nah

honestly, you'd think unicorn killed people's dogs the way it breaks their brains

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the way the internet equates sympathy and empathy with endorsement is really annoying, and unicorn is exactly the kind of show where that attitude is going to find a lot to complain about

and i mean gundam in general too, which i suppose is how we get to

Fivemarks posted:

I think its super 100% fair to be suspicious when the franchise that has a habit of making people literal space nazis and then going "Glory to the Space Nazis they were oppressed victims and the doomed moral victors"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unicorn is better viewing if you don't focus on the details. It's just that when you do, they start to stack up and you start to wonder what Fukui was smoking at the time. And it's UC Gundam which is the timeline for people to hyperfocus on the details of stuff like generator output and mobile suit design lineages.

Episode 4 has Zinnerman's quote about the feds burning his town down. Works better if you stop at "the Federation hurt me after the war" and you don't think about it further. It's still my favourite episode of the series and one of the highlights of the UC in general.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

the way the internet equates sympathy and empathy with endorsement is really annoying, and unicorn is exactly the kind of show where that attitude is going to find a lot to complain about

and i mean gundam in general too, which i suppose is how we get to

I can only assume that there's a certain percentage of people who see stuff like the living dead division and go 'really they should suffer more'

hell, sympathetic zeon grunt stuff goes back to 0079 even, if that's the metric we're going by then it's been hosed from the start

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As to RFV, it goes back to my initial impressions post G-Witch. It was whiplash to go from a new AU series dominating discussion for months to smash cutting back to yet another OYW story and a 20 year too late SEED follow-up. It felt very "show's over, back to business, then." Like, this is what you're peddling next? Between the metaverse fumble, RFV and Freedom I could tell you what Bandai was thinking (draw the new fans into our older IPs and get that NFT market rolling) but the execution kinda floored me in how blatant and yet jank it all looked.

My dim view of Erasmus Brosdau aside, I'm really just tired of retreading the One Year War again, same as how Star Wars can't do anything new without also telling another story leading up to or set at the same time as A New Hope.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 27, 2024

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It feels like much of the discourse in this thread is on “ZZ is too goofy, you should skip it” level of wisdom. The new Gundam show made by 40k people might be bad because Unicorn proves that most new Gundam shows are pro-fascist? Wow, do tell.

I’ll give you a free pass if you’ve actually watched the shows you’re complaining about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyways, Chuchu failed to land the one punch needed to stop the wives from fighting.
https://twitter.com/DarthVeda00/status/1772973060330508700?t=YJthzN4iyCqfqz5eXeqlMA&s=19

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I can only assume that there's a certain percentage of people who see stuff like the living dead division and go 'really they should suffer more'

hell, sympathetic zeon grunt stuff goes back to 0079 even, if that's the metric we're going by then it's been hosed from the start

The issue isn't the narrative the issue is the depiction on screen. I was content to leave this because I don't actually see any value in the discussion, no one's going to change their mind, but let's break this down. Sympathetic people are and always have been totally fine, the "Zeon is full of people just like the Federation and everyone is being chewed up and spit out by an unfeeling, uncaring war machine." Is pretty much the basics of the situation in Gundam. Aristocrats and fat cats taking advantage of the people 'beneath' them, the few good leaders being killed, and the people desperately clinging to one another to find a semblance of belonging in a chaotic world. But it's when the depiction goes from "This person is tragic" to "This person and their beliefs are heroic" where the issue emerges. Yes Igloo's the easiest example for its ending but let's use a show that isn't that way all the way through, 0083.

The Banzai charge is an example of 0083 wanting you to see Gato and the Delaz Fleet as heroic samurai fighting for their ideals. 0083 in general frames the Delaz Fleet and the conflict as a Shiroyama-esque event that is occurring within the universal century. Rather than depicting Gato as the brainwashed tragic figure he is, indoctrinated into the Gihren-specific Zabism that Delaz preaches, he is instead depicted as the noble samurai warrior who fights against the hazy federation, "My Ideals" has been meme'd to hell but it's important to view in the context of the show and specifically the charge.

The charge is not depicted as the remnants of a force who just committed an atrocity attempting to flee and escape, they're depicted as an outnumbered, dogged fighting force making one last break that if even one noble soul survives that will be a victory. It is a heroic, tragic charge. That is the scene's depiction, that is score, the writing the structure. And I assume the main reason Rebellion removed it was with the understanding of it making Gato a man of convicting who's death is a heroic defiance of the passing of the era... reminder the man is personally responsible for just killing millions people and causing worldwide devastation.

Delaz's death, similarly, is not treated as if a despotic madman who idolizes an in-universe Hitler figure has met the ending he deserved, but the tragic death of a man of conviction at the hands of a cowardly snake. Again we have scene composition, we have the writing, we have the score, these are not in dispute or confusing they are framed as tragic and heroic in their respective cases. 0083 concludes, even if not directly screaming it from its lungs that those who died are heroes who accomplished a great thing.

In short, the story itself is trying to frame the Delaz fleet as heroic, the actions they've taken as being good, and their deaths being tragic. Despite the fact they killed a lot of people following the ideology of the literal worst Zabi.

Now with Unicorn there is admittedly the bias of: I think Fukui is a hack and do not like anything he's written and conflating the book with the OVA and picking pieces from each when they do vastly differ in many places. I'll fully own up to that bias. I had a whole thing written for Unicorn but this is already long enough and again I think this entire exercise is pointless.

brainwrinkle posted:

It feels like much of the discourse in this thread is on “ZZ is too goofy, you should skip it” level of wisdom. The new Gundam show made by 40k people might be bad because Unicorn proves that most new Gundam shows are pro-fascist? Wow, do tell.

I’ll give you a free pass if you’ve actually watched the shows you’re complaining about.

I have never complained about a show I haven't watched. And for the record. I do not hope the Netflix show will be bad, I expect it to be bad, but I hope it's good. And even if I don't like it, if someone gets into Gundam from it... that's fine. People are allowed to get into franchise from whatever got them in. Shaming someone for getting in on anything is bitch behaviour.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Unicorn is pretty good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iriscoral posted:

The Lord Inquisitor's Prologue (Erasmus' previous concept and only released material of his fan film) literally ends in a 4-5 min scene of the Inquisition confronting some corrupt noble and having the Interrogator torment him for discomfortingly long period before just shooting him. Its a scene that's supposed to give all the catharsis of shooting a 'correct' target.

I agree, I don't really think these guys can actually handle the subtlety of things. At most I expect a very wishy washy take on things that's probably going to be disappointing.

Ok this whole time people had just been saying he did “a 40k fan film” so I assumed they meant Astartes. But he actually did a 40k fan film that no one has seen and people have still been using it as evidence of Requiem’s quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Ok this whole time people had just been saying he did “a 40k fan film” so I assumed they meant Astartes. But he actually did a 40k fan film that no one has seen and people have still been using it as evidence of Requiem’s quality.

This is Erasmus's project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

8.2 million views isn't nothing. This was THE big 40K fan project for a long time. Lots of telltale signs wrt facial and character animations that appear in the RFV trailers that give it away as one of his works.

This is Astartes, which sidesteps ethical discussions about fascism by focusing entirely on a boarding action and weird alien demons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 27, 2024