Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m watching through ZZ for the first time, and I just finished the two Moon Moon episodes. ZZ Bright is maybe my favorite Bright so far, I love the bit where he just thinks “I’m a terrible father” to myself. The comedy isn’t ever gut-busting, but I get some chuckles out of it. The biggest issue so far is Mondo and Beecha and how they’re treated, it just seems cheap and the writers couldn’t come up with anything better than "but they’re our friends!" after trying to sell out the Argama multiple times to keep them in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grape posted:

There's a lot of difference between Jerid comically failing as other things are going on, and Mashymere being basically the main antagonist representation in early ZZ. Jerid was rarely ever the front and center of the plot momentum in Z.

Jerid’s kinda goofy and incompetent, but he’s nowhere nearly outlandish and broad as Mashymere. And Mashymere isn’t even the most ridiculous villain in ZZ so far, that honor goes to the lady with the king-sized mounds who thinks she’s king of the mountain and becomes uncontrollably horny whenever she gets in a mobile suit, Chara Soon.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kanos posted:

I never really got the vibe that Mashymre's loyalty to Haman was anything other than a really antiquated idea of knightly chivalry, because that was Mashymre's entire vibe. He decided he wanted to be a space knight and decided that she was his noble lady, down to him accepting a token of her favor.

He’s somehow a sillier version of George de Sand in a show that is, so far, way less silly than G Gundam (not for lack of effort, though.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched the sub of Cucuruz Doan’s because it has my original beautiful shithead son Kai Shiden, and there’s only so much of that to go around (I think at this point all I’m missing of him from the movies/TV is Unicorn), but I might have to watch the dub because they Got Gianni.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
When Suletta asks Heero when his birthday is, he refuses to tell her. After she presses him further, he threatens to kill her.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

Do you think wu fei and guel would get along?

Wu Fei would help Guel trash the greenhouse, but would be disappointed he changed after Suletta came along. But Wu Fei would fuckin looooove the Asticassia dueling system.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I get the feeling Duo would have a grand ol time just chilling on The Couch, talking poo poo with Secilia.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Quatre and all 26 of his siblings form their own house because having them all in one existing house would create a power imbalance.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to hear treize and prospera have a conversation on literally any topic

Imagine them arguing which is the greater mobile suit: Epyon, which lets the pilot see the future, or Aerial, which is literally a child.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gaius Marius posted:

Disney, in almost 100 years has made two good films, zero great films. Bakshi made what six or seven great Films in 20-30 years. I've never seen a company so substitant on misplaced nostalgia as Disney. Only Spielberg rivals them in the gulf of quality between their actual work and the esteem they're held in by the sycophantic media.

What the hell is this poo poo, Spielberg whips scrote. Jaws, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, Munich, all incredible movies. Yes, he’s a little schmaltzy, but that he’s so unashamed about it, and it’s often thrown in with harrowing, terrifying situations. Spielberg tha god.

To actually relate it to the topic at hand, Spielberg was the first director to include the Grandpa in a live action movie! (In the kinda crummy Ready Player One)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

I agree with the spirit of your post but am firmly against this phrase. It sounds like a rejected line from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

The spirit of the dead speak through me.

Gaius Marius posted:

More mainstreamally GDT is actually a perfect fit. He's already done a big budget Giant Robot movie, and he hates fascism.

Except GDT’s Giant Robot movie sucked poo poo, even while riffing on a pretty easy concept (Evangelion episode 10). This kind of discussion is irrelevant though, because we have our live-action Gundam director, Jordan Vogt-Roberts. It’ll probably be a fun enough time without much character depth or that particular Gundam flavor, made by a guy who’s been outed as a creep.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Can someone help me remember if Sleggar Law is The Worst Character in First Gundam? Does he actually slap Mirai or am I misremembering that?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Arc Hammer posted:

First he punches Cameron and then he slaps Mirai.

That’s what I remembered: he slaps Mirai, she kisses him, and then she’s sad he dies. Tomino!

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm gonna go with the character compared to Hitler

You’re not supposed to like the Zabis.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Endorph posted:

i mean everyone in gundam 0079 is smacking people to make a point, its just a japanese dramatic convention from the era. its not like hes meant to be a woman beater or anything, or its even really a gendered thing, its the same thing that happens to amuro earlier in the show.

The show depicting an inexperienced superior officer in the midst of a war slapping a teenager suffering from PTSD which sends the teen fleeing from the White Base is different than Sleggar slapping a woman over her marital issues, and the woman shortly thereafter falls in love with him.

ninjewtsu posted:

it's how mirai reacts afterwards that i think people actually have a problem with

ding ding ding ding

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

tsob posted:

Should your problem not be with Mirai and/or the writing around her in that case?

Yeah, as much as I dislike Sleggar, I really dislike the writers for how they constructed a scenario where a woman falls in love with a man who hits her. For me, that’s the biggest character misstep in the series.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This rocks

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Azran posted:

IIRC the issue was this post in particular:

Going 'having a female protagonist means the team didn't have a story to tell, they just wanted to make something to sell', questioning Suletta's competency based on a 5 second scene or saying that she's there to get emotional reactions out of the audience unlike past male protagonists irked a lot of people back during S1.

I’m not going to lie, reading a post where someone complains about a female lead being there for marketing purposes instead of story purposes and then goes on to criticize the writers for caring more about the emotional impact of storytelling choices than how it fits with Lore feels pretty reminiscent of internet debates about Rey.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

drrockso20 posted:

Considering some of the crazy poo poo I've already seen people make in that game it's only a matter of time before someone makes a fully functional Gundam in it

https://twitter.com/moimoithebanana/status/1657818474461253639

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Warmachine posted:

Nothing Ohioans serve could be rightly called chili.

This is no chili, boy, no chili!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Decapitation via bazooka is still the coldest revenge ever served.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Midjack posted:

In the book it's even colder. Char carries Kycilia to Ghiren in the hand of his Rick Dom after Zum City had been captured. She shoots Ghiren in the dick with a beam rifle and explodes him. Before the gibs of Ghiren finish hitting the ground Char then spikes Kycilia into the pavement.

Being a new Gundam fan is so cool, there’s so much fun stuff I get to learn :allears:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LuiCypher posted:

I think the Lalah/Char/Amuro triangle works way better in terms of how the story plays out into Zeta Gundam and CCA, but I must admit that I am extremely curious to see how Zeta/CCA would've played out if Amuro and Sayla got together like they did in the book. Char nearly blows up the Earth sheerly because Amuro 'isn't good enough' for his sister? (I really would prefer that Sayla not get fridged in this adaptation).

Sayla got fridged in her own way in the shows. Every major surviving White Base member returns for Zeta Gundam for at least a couple episodes, but Sayla gets a couple shots during Quattro’s speech to the Federation, and no lines. She deserved better!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Begemot posted:

Now that Captain Quattro fella on the other hand, he's pretty great. Everyone can feel good about associating with the ace of AEUG and pilot of the Hyaku Shiki!

Best thing is, he never betrayed anybody in his entire life!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I did not like Wing and found it a slog to get through but Endless Waltz… kinda rules? It retains a lot of the weirdness of Wing. But while Wing often felt like a series of events that just happened, EW feels more like actions have reactions and there’s an end goal in mind for the characters. The animation’s a couple steps up as well, and the characters feel more focused. Limiting the thematic focus also worked wonders for the writing; gone are the endless debates over what mobile dolls mean for warfare and how that makes Trieze a loser was refreshing, and instead there’s focus on interrogating Relena’s Absolute Pacifism ideals, one of the few places when I felt Wing shine.

I’m a little torn on the mech redesigns. The Deathscythe Hell and Tallgeese rule, and Wing Zero is unimpeachable. But I don’t like the Sandrock forgoing its namesake colors in favor of the traditional Gundam tricolor. I miss the Heavyarms’ bold red/orange color scheme, and I understand giving it more miniguns because the Serpents have two, but four feels like putting a hat on a hat. I was never too fond of the Altron to begin with, but I missed its goofy scorpion tail.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

i personally found endless waltz less funny, and therefore less enjoyable, but it certainly does look really cool

To me, Wing is like the Star Wars Holiday Special or Batman vs Superman: it sounds really loving funny on paper, but watching it is such a goddamn bore that the funny parts just aren’t that funny in context. Watching the late-series reveal that Lady Une actually survived getting shot through the heart and has just been in a coma and that’s why you haven’t seen her for 17 episodes was aggravating, but talking about it later is hilarious.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

i dunno i found it pretty funny seeing in real time what ludicriously improbable events would transpire or how much of the show's plot was clearly just being made up on the spot. also trying to decipher treize's occasional ranting from a hyperintelligent alien species with logical structures entirely foreign to mankind is a fun kind of befuddlement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skdsahHBR4Q

quote:

i barely remember anything from endless waltz tbh and i've seen it like 4 times. treize's kid or granddaughter is the villain except it's actually the evil old dude using her, and the wing zero has an incredibly overindulgent takeoff sequence. i think everyone shows up with their new gundam designs for like 1 scene to get some cool shots in and wu fei is a lovely dude for no sensible reason again (but like a giant pain the rear end for more people than usual, i think he starts on the villain's side?)

When I realized Wu Fei was on Dekim’s side, it made perfect sense to me because Wu Fei was always just kind of a lovely dude who never made sense. Him going all Big Boss on Heero is probably my favorite thing they’ve done with Wu Fei outside of poo poo like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jl64zgBsxE
I think it’s just a difference of Vibes, and I’m glad you enjoyed Wing’s ridiculous rear end-pulls while watching it!

Arc Hammer posted:

I like how in Endless Waltz they come up with yet another plan to get rid of the gundams forever only to immediately say "oh poo poo we have to get the Gundams back" because yet another lunatic is starting a war.

There were like one or two episodes of Wing that really grappled with the need to have soldiers to protect the Peacecraft nation, while the rest of their attempts at it was just Dorothy just being catty to Relena, and I’m glad Endless Waltz focused in on that contradiction because that’s probably the most interesting idea in Wing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

put treize in a room with literally anyone from any tv show ever and i am interested in seeing how that plays out

Trieze would somehow get Columbo to confess to murder.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The hero suit? Yeah we're gonna blow it up in the first 1/3rd of the series.

It doesn’t get blown up, its pilot self-destructs it while he’s still standing on it. Absolutely unhinged.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Fivemarks posted:

I like Wing, but I never got what Treize's point was, or what made him so honorable.

He couldn’t have made it any clearer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skdsahHBR4Q

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Even though the OP and ED aren’t usually what I pop for, I think they fit 0080 very well. And that eyecatch jingle is great.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve never heard of Jizil Jizin before but that’s easily a top 5 Gundam name for me now.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I noticed the fights have better choreography but also some smoother animation, especially during the earth parts of ZZ (I just finished episode 34: Kamille’s Voice this morning), so I’m glad I’m not alone in thinking the fights are a step above Zeta.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Everyone talks about ZZ going from goofy to deadly serious in a heartbeat (I think that’s a tad overblown, it eases into the serious elements more than people indicate), but nobody talks about the tonal whiplash of going from the Dublin trio of episodes into “uh oh, those darn kids done stole the Nahel Argama!”

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, the Tigerbaum arc is largely about the Shangri-La gang realising that they've descended too deep into hell and they can't have those fun, light-hearted adventures any more.

I haven’t gotten too far into this arc yet, only three episodes (they just reunited with the Moon Moon crew), but it felt weird how little weight was given to Ple’s death. Then again, I might be biased because she was my favorite character of the show so far, and ZZ moved on VERY quickly.

Also, Leina surviving felt like an rear end-pull, like Tomino went “uh poo poo maybe we put them through too much, let’s give Judau a W.”

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I haven’t gotten too far into this arc yet, only three episodes (they just reunited with the Moon Moon crew), but it felt weird how little weight was given to Ple’s death. Then again, I might be biased because she was my favorite character of the show so far, and ZZ moved on VERY quickly.

Goddammit ZZ how come I have to quote myself to make the exact same drat point about the finale! You finally made me care about Ple-Two, and then she ambiguously falls over. I had to check the wiki to see if she actually died or not.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Elpeo Ple was my favorite character in ZZ. A child soldier who’s initially bratty and meets someone like her, Judau, and has friction with understanding what it means to be family, but eventually they grow to love each other as a brother and sister? Love it, great stuff.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Stairmaster posted:

Just rewatched chars counterattack. Tomino was such a legend

I also rewatched CCA after finishing ZZ on Friday. ZZ does not add anything to a rewatch, but a rewatch helps because so much happens so fast in CCA, you miss some minor details (like Char being a pedophile.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

chrome line posted:

I do think ZZ helps you understand where the world is at for CCA. I think it makes it less abrupt when Char goes from Quattro to dropping asteroids. ZZ shows the Earth Federation staying basically the same while Karaba and the AEUG either get reabsorbed into it or stop fighting, which is good for them but if you're Char and have political goals that are incompatible with that it starts making more sense for you to try and unite Zeon under you when previously you were working with Bright and Amuro. It's not a perfect bridge, but it makes a lot more sense than going from the end of Zeta to CCA

Also I'm pretty sure Gyunei is an adult man who is telling a 14 year old "You shouldn't like this guy, he's a pedophile. You should like me instead," which carries some implications

To the first part: I forgot that I clocked Char talking about the Federation being useless, and I got to thinking about how they let the Dublin colony drop happen in ZZ, so that does inform CCA. As to the second part, I just assumed Gyunei was a teen, but my major point in thinking that was Quess calling out Char and everyone on the bridge giving her a look that, to me, said ”we all know that, but you’re not supposed to say it.”

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Lalah coulda been a bombad mother to mesa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dessel posted:

Man, I think I'm finally going to finish Gundam Zeta after legit years of watching it. Now what to watch next.

I've watched every mainline Gundam show since SEED, all the films/OVAs since including IGLOO. And also 08th MS Team but barely remember a thing about it. Natural choice would probably be ZZ and Char's counterattack but I feel I should watch the original Gundam before those if I go that way. Zeta has been a bit of a drag honestly not least to being kinda dated, but kinda cozy to watch.

SEED and Destiny I loved for the melodrama, I was fittingly a teenager when they came out and I watched them after NGE which was my first anime so they kinda fit. On the other hand I loved 08th MS Team for the realistic take for a Gundam show. I'm thinking 0080 and 0083? I'm planning to watch the Seed remasters at some point before the film comes out. I picked Zeta due to how it was being ranked in lists.

On the other hand it feels kinda weird having seen all these OVAs and films and what-not with the colony drop being referred to and not actually having seen the original material.

I know Tomino made Char’s Counterattack to be a stand-alone and to make sense to people who hadn’t seen any Gundam before, but CCA won’t have the same impact if you haven’t seen First Gundam. First Gundam rules, as well.