Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
This is good if you're looking for more apps that go with elementary

http://madeforelementary.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

elementary os is a good os for school childs and not many else

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
trying to turn Linux into a desktop os, lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

trying to turn Linux into a desktop os, lol

but it's 2015, year of linux on the desktop

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Captain Foo posted:

but it's 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015, year of linux on the desktop

pram
Jun 10, 2001

coincidentally also a list of dates sweevo will lose his virginity

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao the truth is the funniest

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
where is the ubununbtu tablet

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pram posted:

coincidentally also a list of dates sweevo will lose his virginity

keeping my fingers crossed for 2016 :pervert:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

2016 will be the year of the ARM laptop

- linux torvoldos

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

and what's gonna be on that arm laptop? linus!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

2016 year of linux on the laptop you can't stop it ballmer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

2016 will be the year of the ARM laptop

- linux torvoldos

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

fart simpson posted:

thats not the default settings though. this is a fresh install with only like 3 extra things installed and no settings changed:

funny how the only things that look good are the things stolen from osx. the rest looks like poo poo

i thought canonical was kind of profitable? when will some linux distro pay a graphics designer to actually do something nice and original for once?

and no posting on deviantart doesnt make someone a designer

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Condiv posted:

2016 will be the year of the ARM NECK laptop

- linux torvoldos

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kid CUDA posted:

funny how the only things that look good are the things stolen from osx. the rest looks like poo poo

i thought canonical was kind of profitable? when will some linux distro pay a graphics designer to actually do something nice and original for once?

rhel is profitable linux. canonical exists so mark supplegirth can feel good about himself

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
it took 15 years but red hat's stock is halfway to its ipo peak

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Triglav posted:

it took 15 years but red hat's stock is halfway to its ipo peak

how does it look when you account for inflation

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
maybe a third with inflation

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

op just use the gnome3 version of ubuntu. its ubuntu but excises all of shuttlewurf's silly GUI experiments. it even comes with the tweak tool installed by default so you can fix the alt+tab behavior and put all the window controls back on the windows. and the controls are on the right-hand side of the windows by default

https://ubuntugnome.org/

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lutha Mahtin posted:

op just use the gnome3 version of ubuntu. its ubuntu but excises all of shuttlewurf's silly GUI experiments. it even comes with the tweak tool installed by default so you can fix the alt+tab behavior and put all the window controls back on the windows. and the controls are on the right-hand side of the windows by default

https://ubuntugnome.org/

yeah but it doesn't excise the ubuntu so it's still a subpar solution

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Kid CUDA posted:

Linux can't pay anyone, that would be unethical.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Condiv posted:

ok which desktop linux is a par or above par solution

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

ok which desktop linux is a par or above par solution

el capitan

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
why would a linux need window controls

perhaps you have not heard of the most powerful computing tool ever invented, the command line interface??

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Condiv posted:

well yeah but with near-standard ubuntu you've got a PPA for like every desktop package you'll want to install, and there's minimal fuckery

also for the other ubuntools itt i found a decent tutorial for custom encryption installs the other day:

http://thesimplecomputer.info/full-disk-encryption-with-ubuntu

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i have installed the MATE desktop and it p much suits my needs but thanks anyway

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

honestly though why would anyobne ever use limux on their home computer

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

i have installed the MATE desktop and it p much suits my needs but thanks anyway

is mate actually decent or is it just gnome2 on life support

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

-works good
-looks ok

-ships with a hosed up app menu configured, you have to remove it from the panel and add the mate menu on

otherwise its p needs suiting. i installed "mate-menu" becuase it is slightly nicer than the included menu but both have search functionality and look p much like the win10 start menu

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is mate actually decent or is it just gnome2 on life support

it's worse than that: they attempt to implement gnome 2 using deprecated gnome 3 apis that are constantly changing underneath them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
install kde 4 it actually kinda sorta works now after just eight years of development

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

install kde 4 it actually kinda sorta works now after just eight years of development

the obsession of kde on low system resources is cool, but that kind of lets you know what kind of a project it is

also c++ lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nah

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
OP this thread would have been topical in 2010 or so

what happened... where have you been

seriously canonical was sorta good around the time the first crysis game came out and it's been downhill since then

I'm going to be a parent soon and this pic is terrifying, as are most of your other pics itt

Aw fuck.
Jun 30, 2007

Using Ubuntu
is awesome
i think its good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my kids are 6 and 4 and awesome

I am not looking forward to durther but you've got years of gold first aj yay

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nope

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

another nice thing about mate is that it handles keyboard shortcuts in a sane way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i like lxde

• Locked thread