Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President in Residence
May 12, 2003

I recently moved to Japan and I'd like to use the internet as if I were in the states (for the purpose of watching American netflix and sports clips that are blocked in japan).

Can anybody recommend a VPN or Proxy service that would do this? I don't mind paying. I'm looking for something respectable and above board. What I don't want is something shady that will spam we with adds and viruses.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
rent a vps and set one up yourself

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

mindphlux posted:

rent a vps and set one up yourself

I guess another requirement I have is that it must be relatively simple to do. I've got no idea how to set one up myself.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

iddqd posted:

I guess another requirement I have is that it must be relatively simple to do. I've got no idea how to set one up myself.

A couple of colleagues of mine use this:

https://www.tigervpn.com/

And they are very happy with it, I don't use it myself though. They are pretty critical so I usually take their opinions on something pretty seriously.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

I have had a good experience with https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ so far.
Their android/windows client is very simple to use and I get decent speeds on it.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

I have had a good experience with https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ so far.
Their android/windows client is very simple to use and I get decent speeds on it.

One more recomendation for PIA. It's about one of the cheapest options out there - If you can get a year when they have a special on it's very cheap.

It's also one of the fastest i have found for both response times and overall upload / download

EDIT: If you just need American Netflix, Hulu and so on. Just use https://www.unblock-us.com

Lilleput fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 12, 2015

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

Thanks guys, I'll try PIA.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I'll also be moving to an Asian country very soon that has a pretty draconian internet censorships policies. In order to circumvent a lot of their censorships I decided to follow this guide to create my own VPN through AWS' EC2 service.

To my surprise, after following the guide step by step, I actually have a working VPN that works pretty well now.

Unfortunately, like the OP, I also have no knowledge of computer networking/programming other than some basic VBA programming skills and have no idea how secure/stable this VPN would be in the future.
I'd be really thankful if anyone familiar with how VPN works can help look at the guide and determine how safe and secure it actually is.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shrinkage posted:

...can help look at the guide and determine how safe and secure it actually is.

It is safe enough in regards to someone stealing access to your vpn. Just don't lose your ovpn files or the key pair.

The more worrisome thing is that it only uses the vpn for ipv4. If you have ipv6 enabled (you can see if you do by this website) then it is possible that you can have traffic that is not going through the vpn. This is no different than any other paid vpn provider, as far as i know none of them support ipv6 yet. You can set it up on servers you run yourself but it is not easy at all.

If you have ipv6 connectivity that kind of traffic doesnt go through the vpn you could still be tracked. The best you can do is just disable ipv6 connectivity when you use your vpn. disabling ipv6

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Incomplete Fish posted:

It is safe enough in regards to someone stealing access to your vpn. Just don't lose your ovpn files or the key pair.

The more worrisome thing is that it only uses the vpn for ipv4. If you have ipv6 enabled (you can see if you do by this website) then it is possible that you can have traffic that is not going through the vpn. This is no different than any other paid vpn provider, as far as i know none of them support ipv6 yet. You can set it up on servers you run yourself but it is not easy at all.

If you have ipv6 connectivity that kind of traffic doesnt go through the vpn you could still be tracked. The best you can do is just disable ipv6 connectivity when you use your vpn. disabling ipv6

Thanks for the info on disabling IPv6, I'll be sure to do what you've advised once I've moved in a month.

My main concern with security is that I will be using the VPN to access my brokerage account which for some reason is blocked in the country that I'm going to. Even though the brokerage is protected by a 2 step verification system, I'd sleep better if I know that the data transmitted through the VPN cannot be seen by anyone else.

Is there any good book that you'd recommend that comprehensively covers the subject of networking (and maybe on nework security too) and VPN?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Most VPNs/Proxies don't work with Netflix now since they've been pretty serious about blocking them.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Most VPNs/Proxies don't work with Netflix now since they've been pretty serious about blocking them.

The one i built on AWS does. :smug:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shrinkage posted:

I'll also be moving to an Asian country very soon that has a pretty draconian internet censorships policies. In order to circumvent a lot of their censorships I decided to follow this guide to create my own VPN through AWS' EC2 service.

In China OpenVPN would be blocked after ~10 hours usage due to offline deep-packet-inspection. This is why the HK VPN providers ship a modified version to attempt to mask out parts of the protocol which are detectable.

You generally need a few options at hand, one because many routers are cheap junk and don't always forward non-TCP protocols, secondly entire service blocking is not uncommon.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

In China OpenVPN would be blocked after ~10 hours usage due to offline deep-packet-inspection.

Do you have any opinion on if this applies to ssh tunneling, as well? I've never really known much about China's firewall and it seems like they could be blocking legitimate usage of vpns or ssh or any number of useful protocols by banning them arbitrarily

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

MrMoo posted:

In China OpenVPN would be blocked after ~10 hours usage due to offline deep-packet-inspection. This is why the HK VPN providers ship a modified version to attempt to mask out parts of the protocol which are detectable.

You generally need a few options at hand, one because many routers are cheap junk and don't always forward non-TCP protocols, secondly entire service blocking is not uncommon.

Fortunately i'll be moving to Indonesia instead of China, and from what I've heard it is pretty common there for people to use VPN to circumvent the censorships, so hopefully at least in the near future the VPN method should still work. Right?

Can you talk more about these few options though, in case they become necessary in the future? And maybe some reading recommendations? I'm really lost on this subject matter.

Shrinkage fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 7, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

MrMoo posted:

In China OpenVPN would be blocked after ~10 hours usage due to offline deep-packet-inspection.
This is interesting to me, I presume these events are logged, do people ever get in trouble? Like are they busting the top x% of VPN users every month, or are blocking and enforcement treated separately?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Incomplete Fish posted:

Do you have any opinion on if this applies to ssh tunneling, as well? I've never really known much about China's firewall and it seems like they could be blocking legitimate usage of vpns or ssh or any number of useful protocols by banning them arbitrarily

So far I've only seen blocking on OpenVPN, what happens is that after it has been detected the IP is cut off so you cannot use it for anything. The ban lasts for ~4 months or so. I have OpenVPN, IPsec, and PPTP running on the same host and the other two were never blocked explicitly but many lovely connections simply don't support GRE or ESP pass through.

I have the following toolkit running in Linode's Newark datacentre:
  • OpenVPN running TCP on port 443 (HTTPS)
  • IPsec with IKEv1 (older devices), IKEv1 + L2TP (Chromebook), IKEv2 (preferred)
  • PPTP (insecure but still not blocked)
  • Tunnel Bear
  • SSHv2
  • Backup server in HK, but never needed to use it so far (in China every 3rd month).

A lot of devices support multiple VPNs such as iOS, macOS, and ChromeOS, the latter limited on configuration options despite using StrongSwan & OpenVPN underneath. IKEv2 support is finally widespread so you don't have to use the "Cisco" VPN client in iOS any longer.

I try to recommend using OpenVPN/443 in every country but China and for in China use IPsec IKEv2 with Tunnel Bear as immediate backup. Random hotels in Japan and South Korea like blocking everything but HTTP & HTTPS so choices do get limited.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 7, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shrinkage posted:

Of course, any custom VPN you build that sits on an IP range that isn't blocked by Netflix will work.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shrinkage posted:

Ha. Smart. Having said that, Netflix went ahead and blocked the IP range of most data centers so good luck to people rolling their own.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Shrinkage posted:

I tried this awhile ago but Netflix is aggressively blocking nearly everything except residential IP space. I was surprised to find online that even most of the AWS pools (well except the ones they use) were banned, I'm unsure how you managed to get an address that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I tried this awhile ago but Netflix is aggressively blocking nearly everything except residential IP space. I was surprised to find online that even most of the AWS pools (well except the ones they use) were banned, I'm unsure how you managed to get an address that works.

I have no idea, lol.

• Locked thread