Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Why the gently caress do people think the Flintstones was good? It was terrible. From that lovely loving Hanna-Barbara animation to the complete lack of jokes that weren't "HUSBAND LAZY/JACKIE GLEESON!" and ANIMAL IS ACTUALLY THE SHITTER LOLOLOL BUY CIGARETTES! there was nothing redeemable about the show. And it just got worse when the show dragged on, from BAM BAM the retarded cave boy to The Great loving Gazoo, it just got dumber and dumber. I mean, I thought they couldn't top the rock pun named early 60s Hollywood abuser cameos in the early seasons, but they loving did it! Why the gently caress do people act like this is some classic animated poo poo? It's not even loving 60s Looney Toons, when Looney Toons sucked rear end. gently caress Fred in his fat loving rear end with a dinosaur cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a living

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Back before cartoon network rolled out its super star lineup of Johnny bravo, cow and chicken, dexter etc., this and the Jetsons were decent background noise while you did other stuff as a kid.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

It's a living

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Siljmonster posted:

It's a living

:Barney Rubble laugh on loop:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thread founded on a flimsy premise, imo

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

quakster posted:

thread founded on a flimsy premise, imo

Would it have been better on...

Bedrock?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Who the gently caress idolizes the Flintstones? Still, though, better than anime.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

Back before cartoon network rolled out its super star lineup of Johnny bravo, cow and chicken, dexter etc., this and the Jetsons were decent background noise while you did other stuff as a kid.
back in 1995 this one day i came home from school and had nothing to do so i fiddled with the knobs on our crappy black & white tv
(poor as gently caress) and bam there was suddenly grayscale fred flint stones on the screen. i t was cartoon network and it blew my mind that there was a channel with virtually nothing but cartones. bless u fred your a true hero

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

scathing review op. contained some real jurra-SICK burns.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Dregs posted:

Still, though, better than anime.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hey kids don't forget to smoke cigarettes

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
lol if you don't think using talking animals as slave labor is funny

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Hmmm, it's as if that was a different time period and what people perceive as comedy might have changed slightly over the past 50 years.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Obligatory Handle posted:

Hmmm, it's as if that was a different time period and what people perceive as comedy might have changed slightly over the past 50 years.

That doesn't check out, because I Love Lucy is still funny.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Also, nostalgia. This isn't very hard, man.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

Well, I'm sure there are people who might think that it is not funny. Humor might just be subjective but I think you should research it more and let us know your findings.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
For modern day examples, see something like "the Big Bang Theory" or "Two and Half Men." I think both of these shows are terrible unfunny garbage but they are massively popular.

My in-laws literally LOL several times while watching them as I just sit there unamused.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Obligatory Handle posted:

For modern day examples, see something like "the Big Bang Theory" or "Two and Half Men." I think both of these shows are terrible unfunny garbage but they are massively popular.

My in-laws literally LOL several times while watching it as I just sit there unamused.

See, humor is not subjective. Those are objectively unfunny. Your in-laws are just idiots, sorry for your loss.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

See, humor is not subjective. Those are objectively unfunny. Your in-laws are just idiots, sorry for your loss.

I agree they are unfunny, but that is not objective. Also, anime avatar. Sorry for your family's loss.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KiteAuraan posted:

YES I GET ANGRY EASILY! THANK YOU FOR NOTICING!

:gas:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

er, are idiots not subjects? :confused:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KiteAuraan posted:

lol normally i joke when i call goons a bunch of old fucks but youre a legit old gently caress

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
the Jetsons where cool

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
meat jargfe jotsonmm theyre doughterfv erlrtyuioy

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

RadioactiveKid posted:

the Jetsons where cool

Yeah, somehow the Jetsons was actually good. Which is weird because it was just Space Flintstones.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

yabba dabba doo

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Frankenstein Jr up in this bitch

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, somehow the Jetsons was actually good. Which is weird because it was just Space Flintstones.

The Jetsons was better science fiction than most of what passes for science fiction these days. Haunting and disturbing vision of the future mankind is heading towards vs. swolle dudes flying around in space fighting space monsters and sleeping with space-women.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The Jetsons was better science fiction than most of what passes for science fiction these days. Haunting and disturbing vision of the future mankind is heading towards vs. swolle dudes flying around in space fighting space monsters and sleeping with space-women.

The latter is classic Science Fiction though (hello John Carter of Mars!).

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
H-B was universally horrible
Cartoons are a ballet of violence. W.B and early Tom & Jerry Knew the score

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
WIL-MA!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
people int he 60s were more easily entertained

back then mature grown adults literally watched the show (that's why the cigarrette ads were acceptable)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

people int he 60s were more easily entertained

back then mature grown adults literally watched the show (that's why the cigarrette ads were acceptable)

i dont think you have much of a choice when there's only two tv channels

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

KiteAuraan posted:

big enough goonsay does not exist

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

computer parts posted:

The latter is classic Science Fiction though (hello John Carter of Mars!).

John Carter is fantasy, just in space. That's not just me saying it, it's classified as "science fantasy" and you don't really see it in classics of science fiction lists or classic science fiction collections. It's one of the grandfathers of the swords-and-sorcery stuff that inspired most modern fantasy settings (videogames), but that sort of stuff taking over and eclipsing other forms of sci-fi in general is pretty new.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

tardwrangler posted:

H-B was universally horrible
Cartoons are a ballet of violence. W.B and early Tom & Jerry Knew the score

Good Hanna-Barbera Shows:
That One Scooby-Doo from the 19fucking80s where they teach Dracula's daughter at the Ghoul School.
Bad Shows:
Everything else they ever did.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

lol normally i joke when i call goons a bunch of old fucks but youre a legit old gently caress

I think lots of people like I Love Lucy nowadays because they go looking for female actors in the 50s 60s or whenever it was and find her, and then they go "oh hey this show is funny, also this woman is cool and good".

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i like the bit where lucy goes eaaaaaaaaaa after 50s husband says she has some splainin to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

i dont think you have much of a choice when there's only two tv channels

read a book

• Locked thread