Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I loving love speedruns, and have been watching a lot of them recently. It can be really fun to watch someone take a game you think you know and just shatter it, so I want to see everyone's favorites.

Since speedruns can often be pretty long, and pretty incomprehensible, if you can give a description of what we're looking at that'd be awesome. I'll kick off with my top three:

ZFG's 100% run of Ocarina of Time, from this year's Awesome Games Done Quick. The optimal route for 100% in Ocarina is apparently completely insane, and still takes a pretty decent amount of time, the run itself clocking in at 4 hours 45 minutes (ZFG has since beaten this time by nearly half an hour), but this one's really good because of the ongoing explanation he gives. He does really well at explaining both every glitch he uses and every route choice he makes, so while it still all looks like wizardry you get a very good grasp of what he's doing.

Shenanigans' full Pokedex run of Pokemon Blue, from this year's Summer Games Done Quick. This one's a cavalcade of glitches through the ages, some dating back to the nineties (because of course Missingno turns up), resulting in him in some way or another catching every single Pokemon in just under two hours. He somehow manages to navigate ridiculous amounts of potential crashes while also explaining things to the best of his ability and managing to be funny. And then they follow it up with a blindfolded race of two players glitching their way into the Hall of Fame through the same means, because these people are insane.

And my favorite tool-assisted speedrun right now, beating the original Final Fantasy in seven minutes. To my understanding, that particular staircase buffers certain information that most other scene transitions don't, which they use to cause a stack overflow and push the party member's names into addresses they shouldn't be, triggering events that shouldn't otherwise happen. All of that translates on-screen as the party going up and down stairs for five minutes until the final boss turns up and keels over of his own volition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, each community usually has their own rules on what their speedruns do or don't consist of, and what the rules are. It'll vary by game; just as an example, a couple days ago I finished watching a speedrun of Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door, and as they described it Mario RPGs tend to use the game's clock to judge times, which is actually pretty rare. Mario RPGs usually run the clock all through cutscenes, menus and such, though, and speedruns of them don't often have things like reset glitches that would break them out of the timer, so it works for them.

If you're interested in seeing alternate styles of speedrun for games, TAS or not, I'd suggest looking into subcategories. Not just any% vs. 100%, but a lot of games have separate run types based on certain challenges or banning certain glitches. I don't know Diablo, but I do know Oblivion, and they actually separate runs based on whether or not they use out-of-bounds glitching. Which is fair enough, because the time difference between the two is immense: 32:53 compared to 3:57.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

dirby posted:

Since you said "shatter", are other superplays allowed? For example, in Mario 64, getting the "Mario Wings to the Sky" star in Bob-omb's battlefield without pressing A. A basic introduction to the idea can be found in this kotaku article, but you can also just skip to the video.

I will allow it, because that is amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I like two players on one controller, but I've just now stumbled across a Goldeneye run from AGDQ 2014 that's two players on two controllers, using a 'co-op' control style that was likely added into the game as a joke. It's also pretty impressive how insanely quick this gets; apparently Goldeneye is just a ridiculously optimized game in speedruns, and you can tell because these guys never stop. Regardless of the setup, two people outdoing what most single-person runs can manage is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDRtyq3Yhg

There's also this Wind Waker run that's one player, two controllers, since the optimal run includes the Tingle Tuner. I can't find it in a skim-through right now, but this run includes the first time I've seen a speedrunner's nose incorporated into their playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inuN3HtlHo8

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Oct 24, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think my favorite part of that Super Metroid run is that it's not necessarily doing anything inhuman, a human could probably pull off all this, but you still need to TAS it because of the sheer courage involved. I don't even think having nerves of loving steel would help you keep the calm required when you're in a superheated room on your last energy tank when fighting Ridley.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Domus posted:

I wish the speedrun comments weren't so insular. I'm curious about how and why the glitches they abuse occur, but after someone's discovered the trick, they never explain it again. They just go "oh, I used the Tails glitch at the start of level 5". Sometimes the game resources page has info, but sometimes it doesn't. Or the comments are "I did what X person did in Y run at Z place". I really don't want to have to go to that run and figure out where in the video that exact movement is.

That's a strength of GDQ, I think. With co-commentators and a fair amount of time to fill, they can usually get to explaining any tricks, skips and glitches that come up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zanael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g30RtkoByw
Super Mario Lost Levels by GameJ06, super fun to watch, dude is entertaining, couch is having a fun time

Because they mentioned the game, it reminded me: that same GDQ had a Kaizo Mario World run. I suppose it's technically a speedrun, but really a marathon run of Kaizo Mario without savestates is remarkable no matter what speed you do it at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QFrRlLt0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd like to hear people's recommendations from AGDQ 2016, so we can get a good lineup of standouts from the whole week to watch later. I'm raarely available for seeing the rel standout runs live, but I do love watching them when I can.

My favorite so far, I think, is the Oracle of Ages speedrun, which is a pretty classic-style breaking of a game that doesn't get a lot of play. There's also the Mario 64 co-op run, but that might not count as a speedrun so much as just generally hilarious.

It should be noted that for the first day they had a weird echoing glitch with the audio on the archived videos. It's kinda bad, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle to watching.

• Locked thread