Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

This is a segmented speedrun of Half-Life using every available glitch done in 20:41 seconds. Multiple people took part so think of it more like a 4x400 race rather than one single person doing it. The speed and techniques used at many points are amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvH9mwkvWIU

:stare:

I kind of want to call shenanigans on some of those landings. Particularly the super long falls that result in zero damage. But I'm sure there's some weird explanation for it. The beginning really eased you into the craziness that was to follow. The bit where they were shoving scientist around by walking into them to make them back away was pretty drat hilarious, like they were really uncomfortable with how close Freeman was getting but were too polite to do anything more than slowly back away. Video could have used a pause when they blew past G-Man, inches from his nose. Was pretty great.

The entire desert section was amazing with the music and sound effects blending together to produce a pretty goddamn neat rhythm.

This, on the other hand, did not enjoy. Come on, every floor had the exact same goddamned layout, he surfed to the loving bottom.

So I just spent a while looking for it, but I could swear there was one Sorcerer speed run where he just murders things as he goes, using the charges on his staff until it runs out of charges, pops his inventory open, tosses the staff, and then resumes his murder march all the way to the bottom. Does anyone remember this, I couldn't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TheDon01 posted:

Whats the point of a speedrun if you modify the game in such a major way that makes it so much faster?

^This. It's not speedrunning the game as much as, "Check it out guys, I wrote this program that lets me ignore 99% of the game and makes the first thing I kill drop the best item".

Let's drop this here though, we don't need a "speedrunning is this not this" argument on page one of the thread.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Dammit guys, why are we having the argument I specificaly told you not to have!

At no point was I saying that a tool assisted speedrun, or segmented speedruns, or glitched runs are not real speedruns. What I am saying is that there is no way in hell he's glitching the game, in that particular video, to make it generate the same floor layout every floor without an external program injecting code into the game. I can accept that the RNG for item drops may be linked to time or footsteps or something, and conbined with the enemy he killed he could be manipulating the engine to get the item, but not the same floor over and over again.

If someone could post an explanation of how he's doing it legitimately I'd love to see it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

You're not my fuckin dad

You should talk to your mom about that.

Junior.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

Yea, I think there are some health bugs they used at some parts.

That bit where Freeman's health shot up over 4000, yeah. There was a moment, when he was sitting around 500 health that I was like "better watch out, your health is getting low". At 5 times max HP. :psyduck:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Came for the blind link, stayed for the amazing description + comments.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

You've seen Super Metroid run many times forwards, how about a any% reverse boss order run TASed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tse9ytU3dA What sets this run apart is that Samus has to get to Ridley, fight him and then get out all without the suit that protects her from the lava.

Well that was fun. I've never actually seen a speedrun where they use the reserve tank, so having never beaten Super Metroid myself, I'd never seen the auto use animation. I thought it was a glitch at first.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just watched the Portal 2 speedrun. Guy beat it in an hour and twenty minutes, and the vast majority of the funny was left intact. What a game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So back on page one I'd talked about a Diablo One Speedrun where the guy takes a level One sorcerer and runs him down to Diablo in about a half hour. Funkmaster MP just did it live this AGDQ in about 25 minutes. The VODs thread on Reddit doesn't have a link up for it yet, but if you start at the one for Secret of Mana and roll forward a few hours you'll hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Crossposting from the AGDQ stream thread:

So since we've got ~8 hours of Zelda going on, here's some of the runs I've watched that I enjoyed or had interesting commentary:

Axiom Verge is great to sit through if you've never played the game or are interested in getting it, to give you an idea of what the gameplay is like without really spoiling the plot, and you also are getting Dev commentary. The Dev is actually pretty funny.

Iji is a pretty drat great game and you should go download and play it after you watch the run.

Metroid Fusion: is another race, if you're someone who is morally objecting to sitting through one, but it's also really skillful play to try to shorten a game that does it's best to keep you from sequence breaking.

SOMA is a hilariously broken game, and the runner and his couch are both equally hilarious.

Blast Corps is another one that features Dev commentary, and near the end the runner does something that gets a pretty good :staredog: reaction out of the Dev.

Diablo: :witch: I SENSE A SOUL IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS! X300

Pokemon Glitch Showcase: Everything is broken. Also a schoolyard rumor is put to the test...

Anonymous, Guan-Yu, and Eyepatch:Still better than the Furry.

Final Fantasy: Four grown men fail to count to 50 multiple times.

Please post good runs that I've missed.

• Locked thread