Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Updates:
The Evil Within - The Finale (01/03)
Resident Evil 4 - Episode 30 - Something Something Checkmate (11/28)

The Evil Within, known in Japan under the amazing title of Psycho Break, is a third-person survival horror shooter developed by Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda. It was released on basically every gaming platform that exists (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbone, PC) in October 2014. It's actually the game's one year anniversary approximately right now, as you're reading this!

The game centers on protagonist and extremely gorgeous detective Sebastian Castellanos as he is pulled through a distorted world full of nightmarish locations and monsters beyond your wildest imagination. He is confronted by Ruvik, the master of the strange nightmare he has been drawn into, and must find his way through this hell in a desperate struggle to survive. The game is directed by Shinji Mikami, creator of the Resident Evil series as well as the director of Resident Evil 4. You uh, might notice his influence here and there.

I love this game. It's one of my favorite horror games of all time, and I feel it didn't get the recognition it deserves. I hope to do it justice by showing it from an outsider's perspective, as someone who has conquered everything the game has to offer and then some. To show that the game can still be terrifying and interesting and unique, even on repeat playthroughs. I want to show you a comprehensive playthrough of The Evil Within, and in doing so explain to you why it is a game worth loving.

This game absolutely oozes atmosphere, so I will do my best not to talk too much; videos will be long, almost all of them half an hour or even longer depending on the length of the chapter. I will split them up at appropriate points, however, so a say two-hour chapter won't end up being just one video. At the end of each chapter there is a big glaring ugly CHAPTER CLEARED!! screen that I will do my best to make sure you never see. It pulls me right out of the atmosphere every time. I will be taking similar steps to make sure that the game stays within the game during the LP - deaths will be completely edited out and, if I am in a situation where I can't make a smooth transition, I will take extra editing measures to keep it immersive. I love this game even despite its flaws, and I want you to love it too.

No, not even in black bars. This game's plot is full of twists and turns and spoiling it would make you a jerk. So, for the sake of yourself and everyone around you, feel free to discuss whatever you like unless it's something we haven't seen yet.

The Evil Within has a massive, beautiful 200 page artbook which I own a physical copy of. The book is too big to fit in my scanner, but I have uploaded the entire thing as png's in 1:1 quality on imgur! I really highly suggest you look at these, it's very interesting seeing and reading the design process and the mindest of the developers/artists. The book is separated into five chapters: Heroes, Villains, Environments, Props, and Promo Material. I have mixed and matched those to combine all their relevant material into 18 galleries, which you can go directly to by clicking any of them below. Be warned: These images are goddamn enormous (3MB at the smallest) so ye of little bandwidth, beware.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Don't play that game, you know what Resident Evil 4 is. But in case you want me to fill out this paragraph anyway, Resident Evil 4 is a survival horror third-person shooter developed by Capcom and published by, uh, also Capcom. It is the love child of acclaimed director Shinji Mikami and the brilliant designers behind the previous games in the Resident Evil saga. The story follows US government special agent Leon Kennedy, on his mission to rescue the president's daughter after she is kidnapped by a mysterious eastern European cult. He kills pretty much everything in his way and is a big ol badass and says the dumbest one liners ever and it's all a very fun adventure.

I've never played it before! Well, a few videos in you'll find out that actually that's not true at the same time I do, but I haven't played very far into it and I have absolutely no recollection of playing it beforehand. But also, my main reason for doing this is because this LP is a companion piece to The Evil Within. Both games are directed by Shinji Mikami and therefore share a loooot of similarities from what I've played so far, so it'll be great to see where its influence truly lies.

I think doing it this way makes for a nice contrast between not just the two LPs, but the two games as well. I've played a whole bunch of The Evil Within and that LP operates under the assumption that I already know about all of the scares and how to defeat enemies and so on; I'm showing the game to everybody else, because I already know everything about it. With RE4, I know absolutely nothing about the game and everybody else does, so my audience can watch me experience it from a fresh perspective, knowing what's in store for me.

Please don't, not even in spoiler tags. Not even in wink-and-nod sly references. I've played future RE games so I know at least a little bit about what goes down in RE4 since Leon is, y'know, present in them... but I'd appreciate if you would only talk about stuff we've seen despite the age of the game. Thanks!

I have finished recording the game, so you can talk about spoilers in tags now if you want.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 28, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Just a normal day on the job.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I was actually thinking about doing my first Lp as a double feature as Devil May Cry 1 and Resident Evil 4 and simply calling it "Let's play Resident Evil 4, both of 'em" or something dumb. But real life got in the way so it'll probably never happen. I'm eager to see more The Evil Within since I've never played it.

tl;dr The Evil Within looks neat and I hope you enjoy 4 resident evil

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good :D Love watching games like this, thread bookmarked!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Neither of these are Alan Wake!!!

(I will still enjoy watching)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I will be watching this. I enjoyed Scruffy's playthrough of The Evil Within and his reactions to various parts were hilarious, though sometimes he missed various items (more often than not right in front of him :v:), so it'll be interesting to see what he missed. One question though, will you be playing the DLC?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I will be watching this. I enjoyed Scruffy's playthrough of The Evil Within and his reactions to various parts were hilarious, though sometimes he missed various items (more often than not right in front of him :v:), so it'll be interesting to see what he missed. One question though, will you be playing the DLC?

I will be playing all three, yes, but not until the main game is over.

biosterous posted:

Neither of these are Alan Wake!!!

(I will still enjoy watching)

I keep coming up with other games I wanna LP :negative:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
You know, for going down a blood slide and then falling headfirst into a giant pool of blood, our main character came out of it looking surprisingly clean.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Blastinus posted:

You know, for going down a blood slide and then falling headfirst into a giant pool of blood, our main character came out of it looking surprisingly clean.

And somehow walking off a chainsaw to the leg...

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
So, to alert that first enemy, does the MC hit a trip wire, or kick something, or what?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Haerc posted:

So, to alert that first enemy, does the MC hit a trip wire, or kick something, or what?

Yeah he runs over a trip wire in front of the door which triggers the alarm. You can actually see it coming from the other end of the hallway, which is why I was looking around to hide it being there because it's a really obvious trap that Sebastian still falls into for some reason :v:

You can see him hit it with his foot in the ensuing cutscene.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 13, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
CJacobs! drat man you're like doing a million and one LPs.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I found The Evil Within to be a bit of a slog overall, but it does do some imaginative things. It also has some of the most comically prevalent and over the top gore I've ever seen in a game. I'm not really a fan of gore and ultra-violence, but yeah... it's hard to take too seriously here, so I got past it.

I love Resident Evil 4 though. It's still the only game I've ever bought twice; first the original Gamecube version and later the original ultra-shoddy PC-port. Also I'm not sure, but I think the first LP I ever watched was the Freelance Astronauts' LP of RE4.

Ah... ~memories~

Speaking of which...

CJacobs posted:

I've never played it before! Well, a few videos in you'll find out that actually that's not true at the same time I do, but I haven't played very far into it and I have absolutely no recollection of playing it beforehand.

How did you forget that you've played it before? :stare: It's a pretty memorable game - even taking the intro level/s on their own!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. After that opening, I really thought a lot more of the game would be taking place in the hospital but man so much for that

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Evil Within had its moments, but I ended up not liking it for reasons we haven't seen yet. I was really looking forward to Shinji Mikami taking on horror again, but that opening scene with the ambulance in the crumbling city really set a precedent for me.

On another note, watching your video made me realize that my game's brightness settings were all wrong. No matter how much I toggled around with the one in the menu, the shadows were too soft which made everything more clear and colorful for me. Turns out that back when I got this game on launch when everything was poorly optimized on PC, I must have fiddled with something in the config file to get it running properly and never ended up fixing it after the big patch came out.

Somebody made a before/after album back on launch, if you want to see what I mean. id Tech 5 at its best! :v:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Evil Within was probably one of the most disappointing games I've played. I was looking forward to it since RE4 is my favorite game ever made, but when I got to play it just lacked all the heart and personality of RE4. Dead Space definitely remains the best mechanical successor to RE4, though it doesn't have the right tone. Anyway, looking forward to when the videos for RE4 start going up since I know way too loving much about that game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I would like to claim at least partial responsibility for this thread and it will be interesting watching someone who knows what they're doing play it :v:

Also I should finish my thread.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dscruffy1 posted:

I would like to claim at least partial responsibility for this thread and it will be interesting watching someone who knows what they're doing play it :v:

Your LP is the whole reason I bought the game in the first place, so I'd say so. :haw:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Re: Scrolling bug:

I think you actually can use the mouse wheel to read them... as long as you don't move the mouse at all when you're in the menu. Use the keyboard to get into the documents menu and very carefully move the wheel and it will scroll. Move the cursor even 1 pixel and it will be disabled again.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

It's totally your fault! Stop being such a good LPer and inspiring others to LP this game. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crane Fist posted:

Huh. After that opening, I really thought a lot more of the game would be taking place in the hospital but man so much for that

Everything was really unexpected to me after this section. I was expecting the game to remain as you see it in this first video: little to no HUD and all or almost all taking place in a haunted hospital.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ahhh you crazy Americans. Always screwing with your control settings and generally having no idea what you're doing.

AAAAA
Jun 9, 2006
Smellrose
Please keep all of the RE4 inventory management in, never edit any of it out. And keep your items well organized and tidy. Thank you.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

AAAAA posted:

Please keep all of the RE4 inventory management in, never edit any of it out. And keep your items well organized and tidy. Thank you.

Yes please.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who has never heard of The Evil Within and whose favorite game is Resident Evil 4, I'm definitely looking forward to more of both of these!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
It becoming more and more evident that RE4 was intended with using a controller with all these weird, untold menu control and what not. Or did other RE games(on PC) make you learn this poo poo?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Your secret guest commentator is the Mayor of the Internet Low 'RichKyanka' Tax, isn't it?
Also please don't kill the wildlife. Have we learned nothing from Captain Planet? But you saved the wolf! :3: So I guess everything is even now. I guess.

What the hell Leon, you don't even introduce yourself? Maybe figure out which language to speak in? Also goddamn, for a split second I thought the house was on wheels and was taking off while the truck was staying behind. So disappointed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fabulousvillain posted:

It becoming more and more evident that RE4 was intended with using a controller with all these weird, untold menu control and what not. Or did other RE games(on PC) make you learn this poo poo?

The only other PC Resident Evil game that actually has inventory management is RE5 (Revelations and Rev2 don't count since they just use standard slots), and it uses its own weird-rear end system that makes little sense even on consoles.

AAAAA posted:

You jest, but that's what I planned on doing anyway. :getin:

Although so far I actually haven't spent too much time in the attache case unless I need to rearrange it to squeeze something in, so unfortunately there probably won't be a Let's Play Attache Case 4 bonus compilation video.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I dunno how far you've recorded, but you can give yourself a better time if you don't upgrade any of your starter weapons and use the funds instead to pump up the later guns.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Goddamn, that village run. You basically massacred the whole town and did way better than I've ever done on what's essentially a blind run. Those last two villagers were the actual last ones, I think. That's pretty funny considering the cutscene that happens when the invisible timer runs out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going into a lot of this mostly blind. I know the basic plot of RE4 and I've played or watched LPs about halfway through of The Evil Within, but other than that I don't have a clue of what's what.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Never edit out managing your items in Resident Evil 4, Inventory Tetris is like half the game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

You jest, but that's what I planned on doing anyway. :getin:

Although so far I actually haven't spent too much time in the attache case unless I need to rearrange it to squeeze something in, so unfortunately there probably won't be a Let's Play Attache Case 4 bonus compilation video.
Aww, but Manage Attache Case 4 is one of the best (non-combat) parts of the game. :smith:

Then again, I come from playing the Super Robot Wars games, where two of its games featured a squad system that was as frustrating as Manage Attache Case 4 can get later on because like this game, it took unit size into account and made stuff take way longer than it needed to (later squad-based games dumped the unit size penalty, thankfully). So I know how frustrating (and unintentionally entertaining) managing inventory in RE4 can get at times.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

tlarn posted:

Never edit out managing your items in Resident Evil 4, Inventory Tetris is like half the game.

I'd like to request music for anymore long stretches of Inventory Tetris.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'd like to request music for anymore long stretches of Inventory Tetris.

I'd like to request a scarecam only for inventory management sections.

"We need to delete something." *high pitched scream*

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the only thing that sucks about inventory management for the Steam version is that I always forget what is the "pick up" button so that I can actually DO my inventory tetris and so cue to me scrolling through forums posts to remember that it is the "backspace" key :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Considering all the other games you've played that are based off of RE4 I'm super surprised that you never played RE4.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
That main village fight is your first real challenge in the game and pretty hard your first time through. It also has interesting mechanics to win/survive. The fight will end and the cutscene will begin after you kill "x" amount of enemies or wait "x" amount of time.

Generally you have to kill 15 ganados (with or without the chainsaw guy). I was testing it on New Game+ and had it end anywhere between 12 and 16 kills though. With my limited testing I couldn't figure out why it sometimes needed 1 more or 3 fewer ganados to end it.

You can also end the fight by waiting it out. You can either run around the village in a circle or hide in the tower. They throw molotov cocktails up into the tower but they *cannot* kill you. Just take you down to 1 HP. As I mentioned in Zain's thread, the Steam version CJacobs is playing has the option of 60 FPS instead of just 30 FPS like the console versions. That changes the game in a lot of unexpected ways. For example, the fight ends much faster if you wait while playing at 60 FPS.

Waiting in the tower at 30 FPS: ~6 minutes and 30 seconds after aggroing the villagers.
Waiting in the tower at 60 FPS: ~3 minutes and 18 seconds after aggroing the villagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That makes it sound like the game's measuring time by frame count (a fairly common programming tactic), and thus increasing the frame rate to 60 makes the timer tick down twice as fast. Dark Souls 2 had similar issues.

• Locked thread