Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Wayne posted:

As long as you don't volunteer that it's copyrighted and only ask for one or two, I can't imagine anybody squawking about it.

Yeah, I've had the FedEx store print me up cover sleeves for used games which didn't come with their original cases. Anyone'll do it, really. Just, if you want something slightly larger than a game case cover, you're better off taking a vector to a shop that specializes in printing posters and signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you all for the advice, I'll look further into it! I will also post the vector I make just in case you also want to do something like this someday (yes, you, reading this post!).

Also, today I beat Nightmare difficulty, and usually I don't post about unlockables until the end of an LP but this is a special exception because fuckin' look at it:

Look at how badass that is, god drat. And from my small amount of testing it out, that sick icon is no exaggeration, you can straight-up punch enemies into gibs with it. :black101:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 2, 2016

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

CJacobs posted:

Thank you all for the advice, I'll look further into it! I will also post the vector I make just in case you also want to do something like this someday (yes, you, reading this post!).

Also, today I beat Nightmare difficulty, and usually I don't post about unlockables until the end of an LP but this is a special exception because fuckin' look at it:

Look at how badass that is, god drat. You can kill almost any enemy in one or two hits with it. And from my small amount of testing it out, that sick icon is no exaggeration, you can straight-up punch enemies into gibs with it. :black101:

Punch their hearts right out of their chests!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Look at how badass that is, god drat. And from my small amount of testing it out, that sick icon is no exaggeration, you can straight-up punch enemies into gibs with it. :black101:

Oh my god yes. I must see this in action.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Deer lord, are those two brass knuckles bolted together :allears: Amazing

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly looks like something that'd be more at home in Dead Rising.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finals are coming up soon and my long-term end of the semester projects are getting assigned now, so videos might slow down for a while. There might be an update for The Evil Within tomorrow, but if there isn't, it's because I'm buried neck-deep in math. However, I will be creating a new Casual LP Thread soon because the current one just closed (because it was old), so you can join me there for my chill thread-opening playthrough of Shovel Knight if you want more me in the meantime!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That's cool! Good luck with your tests and stuff!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Callback to an old CJacobs LP: I'm entering stuff from a student's form at work and he lives on Altman Street. I instinctively praised.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

Callback to an old CJacobs LP: I'm entering stuff from a student's form at work and he lives on Altman Street. I instinctively praised.

*busts through door*

Did someone say "Altman be praised"!??!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Man, it's like ringing a dinner bell.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^^^^
Use your powers in the Prince of Persia thread to get that going again.

Hey Cjacobs I dunno if you've shown it off in the video but in the game if you have a melee weapon and try to stealth kill someone, it won't be dumb and use the weapon anyway right? Or do you need to drop the weapon every time you want to shank a person.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Stormgale posted:

^^^^^
Use your powers in the Prince of Persia thread to get that going again.

Hey Cjacobs I dunno if you've shown it off in the video but in the game if you have a melee weapon and try to stealth kill someone, it won't be dumb and use the weapon anyway right? Or do you need to drop the weapon every time you want to shank a person.

Luckily, stealth kills default to the knife. Sebastian will automatically drop whatever is in his hand and you'll have to pick it up again after the kill animation is done, if memory serves. I know that's true for bottle, axes may stay in hand afterwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I became horribly ill last week, so I have been unable to record more episodes for the past week or so. Pretty poor timing to say the least. I'm starting to get better now though, so I can safely say that The Evil Within and RE4 will return next Monday on-schedule. Sorry!

Here's a screenshot from chapter 4 that will be sure to entice and/or confuse you, though. And hey, starting from chapter 4 onward, the episodes will be presented in beautiful 1080p, so look forward to that as well.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 18, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, wanna start your day by reading some real nerd poo poo? I saw this as a personal challenge and it was fun to figure out so I may as well explain how I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q42B5Nrzk4o

So, this was the promo-sorta video I made to show off that this LP was going to start soon, and I didn't really know how to go about it at first. I wanted to do some fun hallway flyover stuff in preparation for the eventual finale video where I would do the same thing, but with credits coming at the screen from the horizon. I found out that Id Tech 5 has its own Source-style console that you can type commands into, and upon looking it up I also noticed that there's a debug camera. So I put two and two together and after disabling the hud I was set to record.

To do this video, I parked Sebastian out of view of the camera, turned on the debug cam, and recorded going from one end of the hallway to the other with the free camera. That's it, that's all I did. My thinking was that if I recorded it at 60 fps, I could then slow it down and it would be 30 fps, which is still basically smooth. And somehow that actually worked! The problem, however, was that I couldn't do any speeds inbetween those or it would look weird and inconsistent, and the pan was not always as long as the part of the song I wanted to time it to.

What I wanted to do to fix this was booting up my dusty ol' copy of Fraps so I could record at 120 fps; then I could change the speed of the clip to whatever I wanted, faster OR slower, and it'd remain smooth because the final video would be at 60 fps (or 30 if I couldn't manage stretched clips at 60). The problem, as I've mentioned before, is that The Evil Within is optimized like rear end. I tried it anyway, but The Evil Within runs like crap so it was unable to even achieve 120 fps in the first place. It still can't, even on my new hardware that I posted about.

I was wracking my brain trying to solve this because I thought the idea I had was really cool, and then I had the brilliant idea of just plugging in a drat controller. Before, I was controlling the freecam with WASD, recording the clip at Sebastian's normal movement speed. But then I considered that I was playing a port of a console game, and it turns out that the mouse/keyboard/controller integration swaps seamlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSBdtUlWbw

So, here's my second try, using the controller. Basically, I can just nudge the stick slightly and record at normal speed, then stretch the clip as I was doing before, to get perfectly smooth slow motion! This was recorded at 60 fps in 720p, and sped up about 4x. You can see that it's much, much better and a lot less choppy to boot. I'm very happy with how this is turning out!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, trying to record game footage for something like a trailer without control over camera acceleration or even speed is a real pain. I had to put up with that for an Oblivion mod I made ages ago.

Right now I'm making a Skyrim mod that I'll likely eventually want to make a trailer for, and I came to basically the same realisation; just use a gamepad. As much as I dislike gamepads for the actual playing of most games, they're good for smooth camera movements. Fortunately, Skyrim also has a console command to adjust the speed of the free camera, which will help a lot. I don't know enough about Id Tech games to know if they have something similar, though...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've recorded more TEW, so that will be returning on monday guaranteed. RE4 will be back on wednesday as well. I already had that recorded but I didn't want to post multiple RE4's in a row cause that'd offset the number of videos of each. In other news:

I've been playing Fallout 4 as your favorite handsome detective man and mine! Finally I get to live my dream of Sebastian keeping the drat trenchcoat.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How much strange green goo have you injected Sebastian with in Fallout 4 CJacobs?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

How much strange green goo have you injected Sebastian with in Fallout 4 CJacobs?

Lots, possibly too much. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And we're back. Sorry about that.

Sebastian follows the doctor to his brother's hospice in search of the boy as well as some answers. But will he receive any? Or will he be drawn further down the rabbit hole?

Now in beautiful 1080p!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't remember even seeing that woman you rescued from being tossed in a bonfire.

Had no idea about the giant pig either. Or that you could defeat that lady/hair monster that chases you in that part.

Also, something I wish wasn't quite so appropriate for watching an Evil Within video right now is that something appears to have died in the roof-space above my apartment, so my apartment currently reeks of rotting flesh! :barf:

I hope the pest control people get back to me soon.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I like that setting transition at the end.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to poo poo on the game too much because I still mostly like it but this is where I kind of started to get annoyed with it. Invisible enemies usually have those giveaways, as subtle as they can get, for the good reason that literally invisible enemes are not fun, interesting, or scary to fight - just aggravating. As for the spider blood lady, I'll complain about her more later.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I said that they're completely invisible in the video but that's actually only true at a distance, once they get within grabbing distance of seb they start to shimmer (although it's almost imperceptible so they may as well still be invisible), and also there's one incredibly major tell I'll show off in the next chapter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The invisible enemies are what kept me from playing farther than this. I found them way, way too big of a difficulty spike.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I said that they're completely invisible in the video but that's actually only true at a distance, once they get within grabbing distance of seb they start to shimmer (although it's almost imperceptible so they may as well still be invisible), and also there's one incredibly major tell I'll show off in the next chapter.

I think I know what the tell is as its the way I eventually learned to deal with them, they're still just really annoying enemies though that don't really add much to the game for me.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do the invisible enemies make noise when they collide with environmental objects? Also are there inexplicable pools of water everywhere?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:siren: THE EVIL WITHIN IS 9 DOLLARS ON STEAM UNTIL DEC 1. :siren:

:siren:THAT'S RIGHT, IT'S 9 DOLLARS. THAT'S AN 85% DISCOUNT OF ITS USUAL 60. :siren:

:siren:BUY IT, IT'S WORTH PLAYING. IT DOESN'T GO ON SALE VERY OFTEN. IT'S NOT EVEN 10 BUX WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE :siren:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, here is an RE4 update. We're officially back on schedule! I've been waiting a long fuckin' time to post this joke!

All men be Plagas.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A normal grenade would have worked just as well on the birds, you still want to save flashbangs for a certain type of enemy.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Flashbangs are pretty drat loud. Going off right next to a crow, I can imagine the pressure melting its brain or something. Not that anything needs to make any kind of realistic sense in RE4. The whole game is like one weird stream of consciousness thing.

The lake monster is a great boss fight; it's so unexpected (mechanically at least) and it works really well. I'm still amazed at what they managed to do on the Gamecube with this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, it was a lot muddier and less detailed in the original. Hell, I only realized it was a salamander (as opposed to some blob thing) when playing the HD version.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CJacobs posted:

:siren: THE EVIL WITHIN IS 9 DOLLARS ON STEAM UNTIL DEC 1. :siren:

:siren:THAT'S RIGHT, IT'S 9 DOLLARS. THAT'S AN 85% DISCOUNT OF ITS USUAL 60. :siren:

:siren:BUY IT, IT'S WORTH PLAYING. IT DOESN'T GO ON SALE VERY OFTEN. IT'S NOT EVEN 10 BUX WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE :siren:
The demo seems to run OK on my system, but are the DLC chapters worth a shot?

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
Since it aquatic the monster is more likely a giant newt than a salamander, looks like it has the right sort of crested tail

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SelenicMartian posted:

As in, for buying, or in terms of performance? In terms of performance, they all run slightly (very slightly) worse than the main game due to having beefed up graphical effects in a number of areas. The Assignment and The Consequence give you a flashlight you can point in any direction and they made every object cast dynamic shadows, and while they looks really cool, it might kill your framerate a bit if you aim it at a bunch of objects from a far away distance.

In terms of how good they are, well... I would play the main game first and then decide how you like the sneaking elements, because The Assignment and The Consequence are all about stealth (with some new, interesting mechanics added in). So if you do like the sneaking and would prefer to see it elaborated on, The Assignment and The Consequence are for you. I personally would recommend you don't buy The Executioner. I'm going to be showing off all the DLCs in the LP, and I like them all, but The Executioner is just a bit too clunky and repetitive to be fun for long.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

From what I have seen in DScruffy's LP Yes. The sneaky to combat ratio sits right around chapter 4-5. And then the third is just smashingly fun.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I love that little scene immediately after you cut the rope. You just took down Del Lago, and it's time to continue your adventure, so here's a zoomed out scene of Leon starting the motor again and the boat just kinda putting along toward the pier. It's so anticlimactic!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

chitoryu12 posted:

The invisible enemies are what kept me from playing farther than this. I found them way, way too big of a difficulty spike.

You can trivialize them by using a Flash Bolt. Turns them into a 3-second nuisance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It seems like we're getting a little bit off track here... but maybe that's exactly what this Ruvik guy wants.

• Locked thread