Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I never twigged to that trick with detecting the invisibles via the crossbow aiming interface. That really does seem like it would trivialise them.

I got that bug with the incredibly blurry room too, though I didn't know what caused it... so I just put up with it. From memory it's just that one room; weird.

Locker-guy in the Evil Within reminds me of locker-guy in Condemned: Criminal Origins. I'm not sure any jump-scare in a game has ever got me quite like that one did.

(Also, Joseph is my real name, so when someone keeps talking to Joseph in the Evil Within and calling him by name all the time, it's a bit of a weird feeling.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
What did the last word in the bottom line of that blood-scrawled message read? Around the 4:30 mark.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Haerc posted:

What did the last word in the bottom line of that blood-scrawled message read? Around the 4:30 mark.

It says
"HE'S WATCHING US
WE CAN'T LEAVE"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The discount on The Evil Within has expired! I hope you picked it up!

Antistar01 posted:

I never twigged to that trick with detecting the invisibles via the crossbow aiming interface. That really does seem like it would trivialise them.

I got that bug with the incredibly blurry room too, though I didn't know what caused it... so I just put up with it. From memory it's just that one room; weird.

Locker-guy in the Evil Within reminds me of locker-guy in Condemned: Criminal Origins. I'm not sure any jump-scare in a game has ever got me quite like that one did.

(Also, Joseph is my real name, so when someone keeps talking to Joseph in the Evil Within and calling him by name all the time, it's a bit of a weird feeling.)

I've heard people say that before, and it's times like these I'm glad I don't have a very common first name. :v:

And yeah, the dof blur thing only happens when you have MLAA turned on in the graphics options. The fade transition you saw there was me switching to FXAA so that it went away. I have seen it happen to other let's players before (Two Best Friends) and they wondered if it was an intentional effect which made me very happy to see.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 28, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I've heard people say that before, and it's times like these I'm glad I don't have a very common first name. :v:

The worst is when you have a first name that's not only common, but sounds like a lot of other really common names too. It's very embarrassing, I got into the habit of telling people I was hard of hearing when I was younger.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Statue rat is an unexpectedly :3: joke for something like this.

I wonder how many people shot the rat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The discount on The Evil Within has expired! I hope you picked it up!

And yeah, the dof blur thing only happens when you have MLAA turned on in the graphics options. The fade transition you saw there was me switching to FXAA so that it went away. I have seen it happen to other let's players before (Two Best Friends) and they wondered if it was an intentional effect which made me very happy to see.

I thought the same thing when it happened to me because it seemed to clear up as I solved the rooms.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Now with 100% more head explosions.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 24, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
just use the goddamn eggs already
I'm pretty impressed with how you handled El Gigante, he tends to be a bit more of a hurdle.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The cascade of not-zombies falling in the water was amazing. As for how you're "supposed" to do it... well you might get more loot if they don't fall in, but it's not a big deal.

Still don't know how you've forgotten the game to that extent; this HD version hasn't been out for that long. :psyduck:

The first time I played RE4, I didn't get close enough to El Gigante to get that button prompt to run up onto his back. Never knew that was a thing. I just shot the obvious weak point instead - and it does work, which is a sign of a well-designed game.

You managed to avoid seeing the most horrible part of those horrible nightmare dogs; tentacles erupt from their backs.

I always wondered how that colour-rotating-and-combining puzzle worked out for colour-blind people. Seems like it could end up being more difficult than intended, you might say.

Also yes, use the eggs. They're good for topping up your health in these early parts of the game when your max health is relatively low.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Antistar01 posted:

The cascade of not-zombies falling in the water was amazing. As for how you're "supposed" to do it... well you might get more loot if they don't fall in, but it's not a big deal.
Honestly, I think we got the best possible outcome from that situation.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
You know the torch you shot in the merchant area? It had a spinel hidden in it. You just had to destroy it. You can knife it if you climb the ladder and walk over near it. There's 75 spinels in the game and quite a few of them are hidden like that.

Also you can shoot the boxes, instead of the chains holding them, to drop them into the water. A lot of people waste ammo thinking their aim has to be perfect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do love how even some random dumb guy in the middle of Nowhere, Spain can care so much about international politicking of the USA :v:

You might have missed it in the thread but if you do want to complete those masks and beersteins (or any other combination treasure in the game) without a lot of blind running and looking around for sparkling things the treasure maps the merchant sells will mark them on your map. Though I think some might be a bit more dangerous to get now.

Don't discount the pistol in boss/miniboss fights though, in the time it takes you to fire one rifle shot and cycle the bolt you can fire a lot of pistol shots. And you may have noticed that mobility is pretty important.

Also you can count on that bit of knocking zombies into water being deliberate because what better way to inform the player that its an important thing to do sometimes than to completely trivialize what would otherwise be a pretty dangerous encounter by doing it?

I am satisfied with your level of inventory management as well.

One more thing,

anilEhilated posted:

just use the goddamn eggs already

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like that they actually bothered to sew a giant pair of shorts for El Gigante. I'm wondering how awkward it was trying to fit them, though.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Don't discount the pistol in boss/miniboss fights though, in the time it takes you to fire one rifle shot and cycle the bolt you can fire a lot of pistol shots. And you may have noticed that mobility is pretty important.
This is actually kind of important since you'll generally want to save as much of the good ammo (quick damage) as you can but likewise also want to have some pistol ammo for the trash enemies/treasure in bird nests.

Also very important to know, there's a stat screen in the inventory for each gun and you can also see these stats in the upgrade menu. Take a moment to look at them whenever you find stuff, maybe look at what you've got on you.
Do you really need two pistols for example?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's too bad smasheggs isn't an emote anymore.

Also, perhaps the lesson to take away from El Gigante is the importance of upgrading your weapons :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
By the way, for whatever reason, the game devs made El Gigante have a last flicker of life after the fight ends. If you look closely, you can see its chest rising and falling for a few seconds after the cutscene before it finally expires. Kind of a weird detail to throw in there.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
During the scene when you died to the El Gigante and asked "What did I learn from this death", I said out loud, "You found the reason you should be upgrading your weapons!"

I really love RE4, I have probably beaten it at least 20 times all the way through. (Not an exaggeration, I had a lot of free time back in the day.) I think I still have a save file somewhere on the PS2 version with all the best guns and the rest of the inventory completely filled out with RGY Herb mixes, because I could.

I am really enjoying your play through of this game, experiencing all the silly dialog and animations, and amazing design that went into this game for the first(:v:) time.

I wish I could say I was enjoying The Evil Within, but the first video really turned me off to it. The blood and gore wasn't really scary or interesting to me, just kind of ...gross, and I haven't watched the rest of the videos since. I might go back and try to watch more, see if it gets any better. I liked your commentary, just not the content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For what it's worth, the first chapter of The Evil Within is radically different from most of the rest of the game. Although the gore gets, shall we say, cranked back up to 11 every once in a while.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, I'm sick again, this time with food poisoning. Wheeeeeeeeee hugrk blurgh blech

oh poo poo in my sickness I dropped this pic of a thing I'm working on no don't look at it I'm too sick to pick it up noooo

edit: But no really, I am sick, so if there's no video next week well now you know why.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 4, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Thing that annoys me about the gore in TEW is how it just seems to slough off Squarejaw McHandsome like jell-o within moments of him clambering out of a literal swimming pool full of blood and giblets. Is he teflon coated or something?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

The gore didn't bother me in TEW because even though it's crazy and excessive, something about it is just so blaaand. Especially compared to RE4 which oozes character in general and also just feels more tactile. If that makes sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the excessive gore, it adds to the pulp horror kinda vibe the game gives me. It reminds me of old cheesy slasher movies where the blood squibs and cow innards are cranked up to the max. They knew it was over-the-top and cheesy in those films but they did it regardless because, y'know, why not. I honestly kind of wish they'd gone more for the pulp angle with the game's tone, playing all this stuff straight drags it down a bit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, you showed off my biggest problem with El Gigante. His attack hitboxes can be wonky as gently caress. So it might look like you dodged his arms, but nope, a pixel sneezed on you and now you're being grabbed and have to do the breakout QTE.

Also, echoing the "EAT YOUR drat EGGS" sentiment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My philosophy is that I can save the eggs and give them to Ashley, because she only has half-max health and thus using an herb on her would be a waste. So I can just stuff eggs in her face until she's feeling better whenever she gets hurt! That's the whole reason I was initially saving them and as you can see it was probably the wrong decision because now I have like no herbs!

Also, though I own the physical version of The Evil Within's artbook, it's too big for my scanner because it's a weird nonstandard size and it's a hardcover so it'd be a pain in the rear end to scan anyway. Therefore, I bought it on Kindle through Amazon so that I could drop it in a converter and make the process much easier on myself. Now, I know almost nothing about e-books, so does anybody have a way to make the process even easier by converting the pages to png or something? Otherwise I'll have to just convert it to pdf and screencap everything myself and the thing's like 150 pages long so that's not my first choice.

edit: Scratch that (possibly!), I can convert it to pdf from Amazon's proprietary format, and then from pdf to png. Maybe. I think. I'll try it!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 24, 2016

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
If all else fails you can scan your kindle :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tacopocalypse posted:

If all else fails you can scan your kindle :downs:

I actually don't have a kindle, what I was planning on doing was using amazon's kindle for PC application to nab the .azw file from there and convert it myself.

And, it turns out, Art of The Evil Within is one of a big handful of books that doesn't run on Windows 7 for inexplicable reasons. So now I have a few options: I could load up the kindle app on my dad's computer which has win8 and convert it using his laptop, then put it on a hard drive and do the rest at home on this PC. OR I could ask my mom to borrow her real actual knidle so I can register it on my amazon account and then use "transfer via usb" to obtain the .azw that way.

I'm going to try registering it on my phone first, though, and we'll see if it'll let me do it that way in which case I will have to borrow nothing!

edit: Nope, that didn't work. drat. Well I'll try those two things tomorrow and if that doesn't work then I'll do it the hard way, because dammit I like the artbook and think you guys should see it.

As a sneak preview though, here's a render of the real protagonist of The Evil Within, Oscar Connelly.

Hell yeah, Connelly.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 5, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, bad news. I tried it on Windows 8 and it still says "this device is incompatible" and "download failed" because when the amazon page literally says that it is compatible with kindle for windows 8, what they actually mean is technically only the windows 8 phone OS. Extracting it from my phone gives me it in some uncompressed gibberish format that only recently was created, and there's no way to extract it back out of the real-life kindle. So unless anyone has any other suggestions, I guess I'm doing it by hand and/or giving up depending on how i feel about it!

edit: There is one more thing I can think of to try and I'll give it a shot but I'm not all that hopeful given that it's been uncooperative on everything I've tried it on thus far.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 5, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, one final update on the matter of uploading pages from the artbook: It is not happening, unfortunately! I refunded the book on Amazon and got my money back, then went over to the Google Play store and got it on google books to see if their format would be easier to mess around with/access in the first place.

And I was able to obtain the PRC file!

But Calibre can't open it, presumably because the book itself is in a weird-rear end non-standard format. I decided that I did not want to do 220-ish pages' worth of manual high-def screenshotting so I just gave up on that. I might figure SOMETHING out but for now putting up scans of the artbook is a no-go for me. Sorry!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 6, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

CJacobs posted:

So, one final update on the matter of uploading pages from the artbook: It is not happening, unfortunately! I refunded the book on Amazon and got my money back, then went over to the Google Play store and got it on google books to see if their format would be easier to mess around with/access in the first place.

And I was able to obtain the PRC file!

But Calibre can't open it, presumably because the book itself is in a weird-rear end non-standard format. I decided that I did not want to do 220-ish pages' worth of manual high-def screenshotting so I just gave up on that. I might figure SOMETHING out but for now putting up scans of the artbook is a no-go for me. Sorry!

Could you take screenshots on your phone to "scan" it?

Phones have crazy dpi anyway, so it might work out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad you quoted the post before I edited so that I can make this new one saying scratch all that stuff I just said, I found a better method.

Through the power of having 16 gb of ram, I was able to import the entire thing, all 227 pages, into photoshop at once. Hell yeah. It was the only way photoshop would allow me to import it, and initially it poo poo itself super hard but after giving it a minute to settle down, it worked!

It is now converting the whole thing to png as we speak. :c00l:

edit: And, it is finished. Here's a quick sample:

Look at that quality, unlike anything you could get on an e-reader or phone or whathaveyou. Beautiful.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 6, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey. The artbook is totally finished uploading and I have made a table of contents entry for it. I can't post any of it yet because there's spoilers in almost every single gallery but just know that it's all set up! I'm feeling a bit better but unfortunately I didn't record any more The Evil Within (because I was sick), so the LP will resume next week. Still undecided on RE4, I might post one, might not. We'll see how the cards fall!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

CJacobs posted:

Hey. The artbook is totally finished uploading and I have made a table of contents entry for it. I can't post any of it yet because there's spoilers in almost every single gallery but just know that it's all set up! I'm feeling a bit better but unfortunately I didn't record any more The Evil Within (because I was sick), so the LP will resume next week. Still undecided on RE4, I might post one, might not. We'll see how the cards fall!

Kickass! :dance:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Since I didn't record any commentary for the main game this week, here's a bonus video to tide you over. The Evil Within is a very long game and though it heavily rewards taking your time and exploring and examining the environment, you can get through it pretty goddamn fast. In fact, the speed run world record for this game is about 3-ish hours, and that's on Nightmare difficulty!

The game has an achievement called 'The Quick and the Dead' for beating it in under 5 hours, and this is the start of my successful journey. I suggest you watch this, it's very cathartic after seeing the early game basically force you to stealth it (which actually isn't necessary) and there are a lot of funny skips. :v:

It's taking a weirdly long time to process and I don't know why so it's only available in standard def for now, but it'll be up in 1080p/60fps soon.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've gotta admit; though I often find it impressive in a way, I've never quite understood the drive to speed-run games.

I was digging the music in this video, though. Perturbator is great.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Antistar01 posted:

I've gotta admit; though I often find it impressive in a way, I've never quite understood the drive to speed-run games.

I was digging the music in this video, though. Perturbator is great.

the original Quake Done Quick videos were amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't normally speed run games, but I like it because it requires an entirely different skill set than just playing the game. I'm pretty good at playing The Evil Within, but that's at the normal 15-hour-long game's pace. I'm not very good at playing The Evil Within on 5x speed. It's not just the desire to play through it as fast as possible, though, that's only a small part of it. You have to operate on entirely different logic and tactics. It requires forethought and planning that the normal game doesn't. It adds a whole new layer, at my pace, to the game I've already played a hundred hours of at its pace.

Plus the end result is fun to watch, did you see how I totally owned that Sadist like drat

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CJacobs posted:

I have been enjoying your RE4 videos. I haven't started your EW vids yet, I picked it up during the recent sale (from your reccomendation, btw) and am waiting to play it myself before I watch those.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:eng101: The double barreled shotgun starts out stronger than the normal shotgun, but due to the ability to upgrade things the normal shotgun outscales double barrel in everything except maybe firing speed.

I'm finding this speedrun pretty neato, as someone who's only played through the game once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad you're enjoying it! And yeah, eventually the normal shotgun does get better than the double barrel, but I'm not going to be putting any upgrades into it in the speedrun so I may as well just use it as free ammo storage.

• Locked thread