Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hakkesshu posted:

I got the sense that at least you're supposed to give a poo poo that Delilah gives a poo poo, but at some point it just felt like they were clumsily trying to strongarm an emotion onto the player, it just didn't work for me at all.

With all of the ways there are to interpret Henry's reaction to the situation and eventually finding out the truth, you chose "they're trying to force me to feel something", huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

With all of the ways there are to interpret Henry's reaction to the situation and eventually finding out the truth, you chose "they're trying to force me to feel something", huh.

Yes? I'm not sure what you're getting at. I thought it was poorly executed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I didn't know there was a full thread for this game, so I'll just crosspost what I posted in the steam thread:

So I finished Firewatch. It was on okay little game. I was totally sold on it throughout the whole thing, similar to Ethan Carter, until of course, the very end.

While the ending didn't end up letting me down in the sense that it wasn't a dream or all in his head or anything thankfully, the ending still ended up being disappointing. The resolution to the main mystery just kind of ended up being really boring. And then the game just kind of... ends? The whole thing with Julia is ultimately left unresolved. Anything with Delilah is left unresolved, as she just peaces out. Also I was annoyed that Delilah was SO dead set on calling the dad a murderer, when it seemed to me based on evidence that he wasn't, and I didn't like how the game just kind of assumed our story to the cops was going to be "Yeah he totally murdered his kid". Because I chose the "no he wasn't a murderer" option each time! I thought the dialogue between Delilah and Henry was done pretty well though.

edit: The complaint about the main mystery's resolution being boring is less a problem with the game itself and more just me really wanting something more fantastical

Also I dunno if it was just me, but I would randomly just get HORRIBLE frame drops. Really low FPS sometimes, other times the game would straight up freeze for like 30 seconds. It happened numerous times. My computer is more than capable of handling this game. They also seemed so dead set on not allowing you to explore too hard, that I found my character getting stuck in invisible walls, and there was one point where I went behind a little shack and I guess made one wrong step and ended up stuck inside a tree and had to wiggle my way out of. There were several things about this game that made it seem like it got rushed out the door. Oh and it was also funny the lengths the game went to to never have a human model with his face showing :v:

Another weird bug I'm now remembering is after you get the new walkie talkie and go back to your tower, if you click on the tree poster, the dialogue acts like you are still using your old walkie talkie.

I really enjoy this type of game, but man they always stumble with the ending. I hope they make a game like this one day that properly nails it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I ended up watching the end of the game on IGN walkthroughs since the game save was completely corrupted. Cool concept and story but no one should support this lazy port on PS4. It's like our Arkham Knight for PC.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

And for the record I don't think the game should have had some grand conspiracy plot or twist just for the sake it, because I'm also very sick of games that shoehorn that poo poo in at the very end, but that doesn't mean I found what they did to be very engaging or emotionally involving. They could've gotten there, I certainly felt it near the beginning, but by the end the narrative throughline felt forced and unearned to me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The stuff with Julia can be resolved though, like in my playthrough Delilah told Henry to go back to Julia at her outpost at the end and I had Henry agree, because I had been playing him as still devoted to her. Like they both had character arcs and its baffling how people say they don't.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I love how the camera goes into light speed when you turn.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I played for a bit today and will probably beat the game later tonight. I'm liking it so far but yeah the PS4 version is definitely less than perfect. Its still enjoyable but I guess its loving up other other people than me. It definitely hitches a lot and thats a shame. Hopefully its fixable in a patch.

ZeeBoi posted:

I love how the camera goes into light speed when you turn.

yeah gently caress this, so annoying

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 10, 2016

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished it up myself.

I completely expected there to be some major twist in the game, my original theory was that Henry had a split personality and killed the girls and started the fire and then as the game went on it morphed into Henry being Ned, who was in denial about his actions and created a false identity (the beginning of the game) and that the people watching him were scientists who put Ned back into the place that caused him to create a new personality.

That said, I'm glad that I was wrong--unlike seemingly everyone else here, I thought the ending was fine, way better than the overly-explained but confusing as gently caress, dragged-on-forever Everyone's Gone To The Rapture.

That said, there are a few things I have questions about :
If you aren't honest about Julia, leave the ring, and tell Delilah she should come to Colorado, does she say she will?
You can find a 20 sided die in your tower--but Ned/Kevin were never in your tower; they lived in the now burned-out shack (and then I guess in the castle hideout). How'd the d20 get there?
So what's up with the books? I found 1-6 just fine and thought that was it but then I found 9 in Ned's place. I figured it was probably just gonna be a collectible cheevo but all five of those were progression rewards.
What's up with the missing posters? I called the number on them and it went to what appears to be a pharmacy. Also there are (at least) two you can pick up and keep, but they're identical, which is odd for an adventure game.
Finally, what was with that strange conversation Delilah had with someone else about Henry? That never came back.

Fibally, I felt the Atmosphere, aesthetics, and humor were all top notch. I don't think I'll be giving it my GOTY but I have a feeling it'll be top five.

[Edit: game played great on high at 1080p with my GTI 650 Ti Boost, no frame rate drops or nothing. Glad I didn't buy it on my PS4]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 10, 2016

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Guess I'm waiting for a patch too. I'm at the part where Delilah tells you to go to the Cottonwood Tree and I go there and nothing happens. Delilah isn't saying a word, nothing to radio in on, the quest is not progressing. Actually, the game just stopped rendering textures when I moved away from the area. It seems a lot of people are hitting points in the game where the dialogue just will not trigger, making the game unplayable. Hopefully it gets fixed soon, or I may have to just watch the end of the game on Youtube. I really want to see what happens. I'm an impatient bastard :/

phourniner fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 10, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

lelandjs posted:

You can find a 20 sided die in your tower--but Ned/Kevin were never in your tower; they lived in the now burned-out shack (and then I guess in the castle hideout). How'd the d20 get there?

They did though, Ned was one of the watchmen at Two Forks before Henry so he and Kevin both hung out there. You can also find Kevin's map of the region which he turned into a D&D campaign in one of the drawers.

I forgot to bring it before, but what happened to Accidental Savior from Gone Home being one of the books in the game? I remember seeing it in the previews but I couldn't find it ingame.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 10, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
More ending wankery

I agree with the dude saying the banality is the entire point of the ending. There's no grand plot, no conspiracy, no rhyme, no reason, it's just kinda a broken person lashing out at other broken people for things they didn't even know they were doing. You know, like how Henry had to watch his wife fade away and got so hosed up and all that he decided to bail to the woods even though it's not like she had a say in it. In the beginning choice thing I think the thing that most set the tone was the 'your wife gets a job offer, she'd have to move and you don't want to' and your options were either to tell her if she takes it you're not going or tell her to make a huge commute to make it work. There's no 'good guy' option there, there's no 'buck up and go to Yale you little bitch' option, just two lovely ways that are entirely realistically selfish reactions to that stuff. Sometimes stuff just sucks, sometimes people are just lovely because they're selfish, or hurt, or yea a bit nuts. Things aren't fair, or explained, and I know it's lame to defend an ending I agree is kinda weak for the setup with 'well sometimes LIFE isn't clear maaaan' but I really think of all the games to do it for this is a fairly valid one.

Bottled Water
Aug 22, 2008
My whole question is a spoiler, so...

Early on, I think it's when you're walking to check on the broken communication cable, you're talking to Delilah on the radio and she interrupts you for a second to have what sounds like a conversation with another person and it sounds a little bit like they're talking about you but don't realise you can hear. You can either say nothing or ask about her conversation. I said nothing, but what happens if you mention it to her?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bottled Water posted:

Early on, I think it's when you're walking to check on the broken communication cable, you're talking to Delilah on the radio and she interrupts you for a second to have what sounds like a conversation with another person and it sounds a little bit like they're talking about you but don't realise you can hear. You can either say nothing or ask about her conversation. I said nothing, but what happens if you mention it to her?

She gets huffy about it being none of your business then angrily stops talking to you for a bit. She turns off her walkie talkie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm trying to go south to find try campfire smoke, and just past the river supply box my map shows a trail but there is nothing there. Not sure where to go. Help?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

I'm trying to go south to find try campfire smoke, and just past the river supply box my map shows a trail but there is nothing there. Not sure where to go. Help?

I think you're supposed to follow that river?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Just started Day 3 and I think I stumbled onto a game-breaking bug that hosed my save game. I accidentally brute forced my way into an area I don't think I'm supposed to be in yet (stupid me going exploring), and there's a bunch of floating rocks, trees, a ski? all over the place. I can't get back out the way I got in, there's no fast travel, and it autosaved past the point of no return.

I was mostly enjoying it, but not looking forward to re-playing the first two days.

Edit: Is there any point to collecting the books? I wish there was a way to put them inside my backpack instead of waving them around in front of my face.

Double Edit: Nevermind about the bug, figured it out

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 10, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bottled Water posted:

Ultimately it ends up being nothing and unrelated to you, as well, just your paranoia.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just finished this myself. I mostly enjoyed it. I would agree that the entire ending was a bit of a letdown. I really enjoyed the ending to Gone Home, so it's not like I expected some insane twist that I was like a computer man inside a FBI training forest the entire time or something. I get what they were going for, but it just didn't land for me. But like I said, there was a lot of other cool parts in the game that makes me like it overall.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Well, this is disappointing. I started the game, played for about 2 hours, then saved and quit. Not a day later, I can't load my save or even start a new game without crashing on the loading screen. I know I'm well below minimum requirements (integrated graphics over here) but I was really getting into it :( sigh

edit: I set my graphics to medium (the default when I first started) and i was able to start a new game. woohoo!

abardam fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 10, 2016

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Am I the only one that didn't climb that rope at the end Ned set for you because I thought he was gonna try to trap me up there? Yeah in retrospect it was probably just his hideout where I'd find flavor items but I was also kinda ready for the game to be over.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I think it was an okay experience if a little short.

The midpoint when you figure out someone is listening in and it spirals off into conspiracy land had me engaged and wanting to progress the story so the banality of the ending felt a bit of a letdown. I feel like I gave the game a lot of trust to have some emotional attachment to what is going on, so when it comes down to Old Man Withers having fooled you its just feels like there is no payoff or point except you are foolish for accepting what the game presented to you. I liked Delilah and Henry's banter. It seems to be the main filling of the game and the run-through is short enough that I can replay it to see if reacting differently changes anything. Delilah came across as a troubled person herself with some of her reactions. Maybe in some ending she and Henry could find some solace together but really everyone came out of the story looking like a terrible human being.

So 10/10 I really felt like some rear end in a top hat in the woods surrounded by and getting spooked by other assholes.

PS: the camera (and the credits) was a really neat touch.
PPS: Did anything come of the notes the Rangers left or the Missing Person notice?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kore_Fero posted:

PPS: Did anything come of the notes the Rangers left or the Missing Person notice?

No, it's just a red herring so Henry had more poo poo to put on his wall when he was deep in conspiracy mode. There's no reason to ever collect any of that poo poo you find.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

So uh massive spoilers, and a question to people who've finished:

For ya'll in camp It was an Accident, Ned Did Nothing Wrong, how do you explain Brian hiding the climbing pins or whatever they are so he wouldn't have to do any more climbing, and then according to Ned dying in a climbing accident involving a loose pin?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tommofork posted:

So uh massive spoilers, and a question to people who've finished:

For ya'll in camp It was an Accident, Ned Did Nothing Wrong, how do you explain Brian hiding the climbing pins or whatever they are so he wouldn't have to do any more climbing, and then according to Ned dying in a climbing accident involving a loose pin?

Ned definitely did wrong poo poo like covering up his son's death and messing with Henry and Delilah and setting fire to the forest but I don't think he killed him. I just think Brian didn't like climbing, Ned kept trying to get him into it because he wanted to bond with his son (see all the father/son stuff Ned kept in his hideout) but they just got unlucky which can happen when you go climbing and it was just a really unfortunate accident.

Also ending stuff: You can tell early on in the game that anything odd happening, Henry really wants it to be some crazy conspiracy/axe murderer poo poo. I mean there's even a conversation in the first few days where he said he came out here to get away and find some adventure. He's willing these things to be about something more than they are because of his state of mind, so when everything finally comes together and it's explained why all this stuff happened he is rightfully proven wrong about it. I would have rolled my eyes so hard if it did turn out to be another story about government conspiracies and supernatural poo poo. I found it really refreshing that it was just about a few broken people in the end. Not many video games do that and it's good when they do.

Edit: I just remembered this is shown before the end of the story pretty clearly when Delilah lets you know that those two girls that you totally thought were dead were found, and it turns out they were just in jail for pulling some dumb joyriding poo poo.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 10, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

NaDy posted:

Ned definitely did wrong poo poo like covering up his son's death and messing with Henry and Delilah and setting fire to the forest but I don't think he killed him. I just think Brian didn't like climbing, Ned kept trying to get him into it because he wanted to bond with his son (see all the father/son stuff Ned kept in his hideout) but they just got unlucky which can happen when you go climbing and it was just a really unfortunate accident.
Yeah, it also makes more sense that he didn't purposely kill his son because if he was the kind of guy to kill his own son in cold blood what would stop him from just murdering Henry instead of just trying to scare him away?

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
ive now mulled over this video game after beating it twice and slept a handful of hours, and i was very, very annoyed by the stuttering going through round 2.

that being said, this game is fuckin spectacular. the ending threw me, and while i thought it felt empty at first, i think it actually fits very well. i will visit hank and delilah every so often, i think.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Imagine my surprise when I called the phone number on a poster in game and an actual human being picked up. How many phone calls do you think the Shoshone National Forest Supervisors office recieved yesterday?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Accordion Man posted:

I forgot to bring it before, but what happened to Accidental Savior from Gone Home being one of the books in the game? I remember seeing it in the previews but I couldn't find it ingame.

It's in the cache box that has the "Lending Library" sign over it and a whole bunch of books. It's buried near the bottom of the pile, if I remember right.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

If you buy into what the game is trying to do at all in the smallest bit possible, it completely works.

Not true for me, I was ready to love this game in all ways, but ended up vaguely disappointed. Gorgeous but ultimately overreaches its grasp as far as I'm concerned.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

I thought the better ending would have been to split the conspiracy stuff and the crazy Dad stuff into two different things. Have a group of psychologists actually be out there studying the effects of isolation, with only communication via Radio, and also have a crazy Dad who's been camping out in the cave trying to steer people away from finding his son's dead body. You could have come upon the researchers and been like "Hey, wtf! Are you studiying us?" and they would have been like "Totally! You agreed to it in your contract. Forest Service wants to make sure that this experience isn't psychologically harmful!"

That would have been much more believable to to me than 'Crazy Dad, breaks into and plants evidence on a deer research facility, on the off chance that you are able to break in and uncover it, only so that he can immediately burn it down afterwards then continue to break into your tower, and attempt to blackmail you into doing something not entirely clear, as he never outright tells you to leave.'

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
loving February is stressing me out with its abundance of cool, fun games.

TheAsterite posted:

There were a couple of technical flaws that took me out of the game as well:

[snip]

Fallout 4 easter egg.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Just finished it, and I'm totally satisfied with the :20bux: I spent on it. Beautiful art direction, incredible atmosphere the whole time, the characters and dialogue were always very natural and believable because of great writing, and while there were some technical issues (a couple crashes, and anytime I used my notes page at all the whole game turned into a slide-show) they were all pretty much solved by restarting the game.

As for the ending, I liked it, I thought it was exactly the ending the game needed. Satisfying because it's unsatisfying because it's not some grand conspiracy. I was actually caught off guard by the body because of all the conspiracy stuff going on, that moment was really well done. My only issue with the ending was that the pacing dragged on too long after that. Not so much that it ruined the game, but I was way more affected by Brian's body than Ned's explanation and hideout. I feel like if the tape had been something you found shortly after finding the body and played on your way to Delilah's tower, it would have maintained a bit more intensity for the climax of the story and the last conversation before the chopper would have been a nice breather in contrast, rather than a slow conversation after a quiet walk through the smoke.

That said, I'm still happy with the ending. Can't wait for the next Campo Santo game!

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

each individual piece of this game is incredible, but the sum product is just Pretty Good. Does the curse of Nick Breckon loom over it?

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Just finished it myself, pretty satisfied even though it felt a little short? I appreciated being able to get through it all in one sitting though.

About the ending
I went up the rope to check out Ned's stuff but I didn't go through his hatch, I got to the point where he said on the tape 'don't try and follow me' and figured that maybe I'd leave the guy who'd been trying to kill or mess with me alone. Unfortunately it looks like there isn't a clear way to revisit that stuff on reload, what did I miss out on, if anything? For what it's worth I don't feel like he killed his son but maybe he was there when it happened and thought he wouldn't be able to explain it. Unfortunately it's one of the moments where the dialog fell flat because in the ending you have Henry still agreeing that Ned was the killer, I guess maybe the game designers figured that was the direction players would go in or I didn't argue with Delilah enough?

I will say that it's a real drat pretty game though, one of the first I've really played through since buying a 4K monitor. I also really enjoyed being able to turn off the map marker and have to stumble my way through a little more, made relying on my compass and map feel much more important.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I mean the dialogue and interplay between Delilah and Henry are really this game's strongest point. It may well be worth playing for that alone, and it's not like the price tag is atrocious or anything. I've paid more for movies half the running time. Oddly enough, I don't feel compelled to go back and do an rear end in a top hat Henry replay or anything. Maybe it loses something knowing how the story ends.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I might have to replay it just to take screenshots. Some of the locations were gorgeous. The part early on where Henry is eating sandwiches on that rock arch when the sun was setting, really beautiful.

Plus the watchtowers themselves were great locations and felt believably lived in. I could really see myself spending some time in one of them.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

NaDy posted:

I might have to replay it just to take screenshots. Some of the locations were gorgeous. The part early on where Henry is eating sandwiches on that rock arch when the sun was setting, really beautiful.

Plus the watchtowers themselves were great locations and felt believably lived in. I could really see myself spending some time in one of them.

One thing the game could use (in my opinion, anyways) is a chapter select or screenshot mode to just let you explore around in the different conditions between chapters, I found it pretty fun to just turn off a lot of the indicator type stuff and just wander around, even though it's a pretty small and designed map it felt pretty natural.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

NaDy posted:

That reminds me--I haven't gone camping in a Ranger station in years, but this game nailed the peacefulness at those mountain peaks so well I requested a week off work this summer to go up to a tower. Great design work in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I was looking forward to this a bit. I think I'm nearing the end of it now, but I'm gonna wait until sometime tomorrow to actually finish the game. In terms of scenery, it hits a lot of the right places. I recently moved away from Pennsylvania, and I really miss all of the beautiful trees and landscape the state had... and, of course, Wyoming is far off from PA, but the heavily forested atmosphere really reminds me a lot of home. The "choose your own background" from the start hit pretty hard too, and it's interesting how Henry interacts with Delilah to reveal more.

I have noticed quite a bit of technical problems while playing on PS4 though... that is an unfortunate fact. It's nothing bad enough to take away from the overall experience yet, but it is still disappointing because I feel like the game deserves better presentation. Random dramatic frame loss when the game decides to save, or extreme frame loss when suddenly looking from one direction to another, polygons for trees appearing out of nowhere at strange intervals...

I probably should have held off on posting here until I actually finished the game. Even though I'm not reading spoilers, I see quite a bit of incriminating evidence suggesting plot twists, but I suppose that's my own fault. I guess I just really wanted to see how people are reacting to the game, as a whole. The overall experience seems to be thrilling people, which is nice. :unsmith:

• Locked thread