Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
(It wasn't about slavery) or maybe it was I honestly have never even read about that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Obligatory Handle posted:

I'm in Spain at the moment. They had a civil war here too, let's run the reasoning why into the ground and argue semantics.

government only works when you work together bro, and... you know when the military doesn't decide to say 'gently caress it' and take over.

so... no dishwasher detergent in spain?

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Shadow posted:

government only works when you work together bro, and... you know when the military doesn't decide to say 'gently caress it' and take over.

so... no dishwasher detergent in spain?

It's pretty common to not have a dishwasher at all, I guess. Like I'm standing in the kitchen of my apartment looking at my washing machine, but no dishwasher. hosed up. Have to do that poo poo by hand here. Sucks.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
too bad the north didn't win spain's civil war for them :(

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Shadow posted:

too bad the north didn't win spain's civil war for them :(

:shrug:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't. I just think this whole 'moral imperative the North felt to end slavery' thing is lol as gently caress.

HI.can you please quote anyone actually saying this in the thread? Thanks in advance.

The north didn't have to care about slavery at all for the war to be about it since they didn't start the war hth.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Nonsense posted:

yankees just mad they don't have piccadilly's!

That piccadilly looks pretty rowdy

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Knight posted:

That piccadilly looks pretty rowdy

mildly rowdy, not full-strength all-cylinders rowdy

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It's pretty common to not have a dishwasher at all, I guess. Like I'm standing in the kitchen of my apartment looking at my washing machine, but no dishwasher. hosed up. Have to do that poo poo by hand here. Sucks.

you can put dishes in your washing machine as well, guaranteed you won't have to wash them by hand if you do

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stop making fun of the South and their lack of interior appliances. Very rude.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
i wonder if tank crews from the south felt about strolling the countryside inside Sherman tanks in WW2.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Broken Machine posted:

you can put dishes in your washing machine as well, guaranteed you won't have to wash them by hand if you do

Like I'd trust a Broken Machine, but thanks anyway.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

Stop making fun of the South and their lack of interior appliances. Very rude.

I'm in the north.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm in Spain at the moment. They had a civil war here too, let's run the reasoning why into the ground and argue semantics.

Remember the Maine! To hell with Spain!

I think my favorite thing about the civil war is that the csa traitors literally thought that if they waved their guns around the north would let them steal half land in the country.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Someone asked me to list a college course where "Slavery is the cause of Civil War" was a main point on the syllabus. Not really being familiar with every American History course offered in all the colleges in America, I can't really do that. But what I can do is say that the way I was educated growing up was in Southern Confederate apologia. I grew up in the South, my father had very pro Confederate leanings since he bought into all the states rights preserve heritage horseshit that this country has been swallowing for 150 years, and generally my elementary and high school history kind of accepted the "nuanced" version of the causes. But as I grew older, and began to see all the racism and hate this nation puts out towards minorities and how it uses the Confederate battle flag, I began to think there was something more in it. And the more I read the things that were actually written during the times, and what was actually said by people then, and not lovely interpretations by pro Confederate historians with an agenda it became clear what a load of poo poo I had been fed as a child.

Google the Declaration of Causes of Secession. It'll give you the declarations of Georgia, Texas, Virginia, South Carolina, and Mississippi, where they quite clearly state at the very beginning that they're seceding because the North didn't respect their rights to "property" and economic freedoms that had been extended to them since the founding. They also name the general anti South political atmosphere fostered by anti-slavery movements. The loving Confederate states themselves named slavery and its continuation as their primary reason to join together and go to war.

TNG fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 13, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TNG posted:

Someone asked me to list a college course where "Slavery is the cause of Civil War" was a main point on the syllabus. Not really being familiar with every American History course offered in all the colleges in America, I can't really do that. But what I can do is say that the way I was educated growing up was in Southern Confederate apologia. I grew up in the South, my father had very pro Confederate leanings since he bought into all the states rights preserve heritage horseshit that this country has been swallowing for 150 years, and generally my elementary and high school history kind of accepted the "nuanced" version of the causes. But as I grew older, and began to see all the racism and hate this nation puts out towards minorities and how it uses the Confederate battle flag, I began to think there was something more in it. And the more I read the things that were actually written during the times, and what was actually said by people then, and not lovely interpretations by pro Confederate historians with an agenda it became clear what a load of poo poo I had been fed as a child.

Google the Declaration of Causes of Secession. It'll give you the declarations of Georgia, Texas, Virginia, South Carolina, and Mississippi, where they quite clearly state at the very beginning that they're seceding because the North doesn't respect their rights to "property" and economic freedoms that had been extended to them since the founding. They also name the general anti South political atmosphere fostered by anti-slavery movements. The loving Confederate states themselves named slavery and its continuation as their primary reason to join together and go to war.

The right to own slaves was in the CSA's constitution

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
the right to own slaves was in the usa's constitution too lmao

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

etalian posted:

The right to own slaves was in the CSA's constitution

then you have Oregon, the embodiment of the shittiness of white people and nimby

The vote on slavery was 2,645 to allow slavery and 7,727 to make it illegal, and the vote to make it illegal for Blacks to live in the state was 8,640 to ban them and 1,081 to allow them to live in the state.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
"the reason for the civil war was slavery" <- actually correct; even when you delve into all the different economic/historic/cultural factors it all leads back to slavery

"the reason for the civil war was to end slavery" <- partial credit at best even though slavery ending was ultimately the war's major consequence

"the reason for the civil war wasn't actually slavery" <- dumb and wrong

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

wiffle ball bat posted:

i don't understand the liberal obsession with stripping every bit of nuance from our grrat anerican history

the north told the south several times they could keep their slaves if they would just knock this silly business off and settle down. stop being a gay baby culture warrior and start being a cool dude who likes history

as a cool dude who likes history so much he got his undergraduate degree in it and now teaches it at university as part of his postgrad program: the war was over slavery. this isn't an alternative view. the contemporary evidence that the south was primarily motivated by a desire to protect slavery both as a practice and as an institution is overwhelming and undeniable. trying to argue a "nuance[d]" view of the war is like trying to deny the holocaust. hth.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

wiffle ball bat posted:

the right to own slaves was in the usa's constitution too lmao

not in the same way it wasn't. the confederacy was so protective of "state's rights" that their constitution made it impossible for any state in the confederacy to become a free state. obviously not true for the us.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

moridin is exhibit a in "reconstruction did not go nearly far enough"

need more carpetbaggers imo

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good thread I'm learning a lot

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TNG posted:

Someone asked me to list a college course where "Slavery is the cause of Civil War" was a main point on the syllabus. Not really being familiar with every American History course offered in all the colleges in America, I can't really do that.

Oh come on. You could look up the syllabus of the university you went to and whatever their current Civil War history 101 is. Or refer to the specific textbook that relies on the claim that the Civil War was only about slavery and post the ISBN number so I can see if I can find it in the stacks this weekend and pursue the argument, assuming I'm still interested in this discussion.

I can understand not wanting to because it takes time. No harm, no foul though since your arguments TNG were good and you were not being a twat who displayed an utter lack of critical thinking.

TNG posted:

But what I can do is say that the way I was educated growing up was in Southern Confederate apologia. I grew up in the South, my father had very pro Confederate leanings since he bought into all the states rights preserve heritage horseshit that this country has been swallowing for 150 years, and generally my elementary and high school history kind of accepted the "nuanced" version of the causes.

But as I grew older, and began to see all the racism and hate this nation puts out towards minorities and how it uses the Confederate battle flag, I began to think there was something more in it. And the more I read the things that were actually written during the times, and what was actually said by people then, and not lovely interpretations by pro Confederate historians with an agenda it became clear what a load of poo poo I had been fed as a child.

I understand your personal view of American culture, but that doesn't abrogate the existence of primary sources and data that suggests there were more pressures than simply and only slavery that caused the outbreak of the Civil War. And I know your statement does not suggest that you are ignoring those other sources, but other less critical and more emotional posters (ie "stupid retards" so that Anime Is Blood doesn't have to consult a dictionary) have.

Part of why I think Moridin and I are arguing from the same page is I suspect Moridin went to high school in California as I did. He mentioned AP History, which I will assume that means he was enrolled in the class (Moridin is unable to post right now to verify, but lets go with it). AP History courses, at least in California, are taught from a standardized text. In addition the course is fairly standardized from school to school because in order to perform well on the AP test at the end of the year, students have to understand a certain number of arguments and primary sources. The point being that I agree with Moridin's arguments because we were likely products of the same educational course on the Civil War.

Now the one thing I do remember very clearly about AP History is and I'll repeat it:

Helical Nightmares posted:

Precisely. Turning in a paper to AP history with the thesis "the Civil war was about slavery" was the fast track to getting failed out. You had to elucidate the reasons given of each state and economic pressures.

For example one of the questions I barely remember was involving the timing of the outbreak of the Civil War, why it didn't happen twenty years earlier or such. You had to have a nuanced argument based on the primary sources in order to pass the test.

quote:

Google the Declaration of Causes of Secession. It'll give you the declarations of Georgia, Texas, Virginia, South Carolina, and Mississippi, where they quite clearly state at the very beginning that they're seceding because the North doesn't respect their rights to "property" and economic freedoms that had been extended to them since the founding. They also name the general anti South political atmosphere fostered by anti-slavery movements. The loving Confederate states themselves named slavery and its continuation as their primary reason to join together and go to war.

And I recall having to contrast the 5 declarations of Georgia, Texas, Virginia, South Carolina, and Mississippi with the declarations of the other states. Don't remember them now, but that was a certain amount of time ago.

Part of the timing argument required the detailing the stresses on the economy of the south by the introduction of the Cotton gin as some poster previously explained. Also there was Lincoln's first inaugural speech. And the North's industrialism factored in to the argument somewhere as well. Also the "states rights" argument by the South was added to the equation.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/lincoln1.asp

quote:

I do not consider it necessary at present for me to discuss those matters of administration about which there is no special anxiety or excitement.

Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. It is found in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that--

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.....

And this suggested that Lincoln was offering an alternative to succession for the South and we had to address why didn't it work at this time when compromises like the 3/5 Compromise had worked as a band aid to keep the States together in the past.

So during my instruction of the Civil War (admittedly a brief intense part of AP History) it was drilled in us that there were more factors than slavery that caused the outbreak of the Civil War at that time.

Now, add to the argument that the focus of history changes over time. Did "Confederate Apologist" propaganda rule the textbooks of AP US History at the time Moridin or I took the course? I don't know. I vaguely heard this argument in University but at that time "the Civil War was more than just about slavery" was still in vogue for the breadth course I took for a year (in which we covered the Civil war pretty drat fast again). I certainly raise an eyebrow to the though of my distinctly African american history professor ever being a Confederate Apologist however.

And there was none of this "believe ONLY IN SLAVERY" or else you are thrown out of the Church of the One True Way of those who don't analyze primary sources horseshit.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That all sounds nice but I think like I and others have said, there is a lot of nuance but all nuance leads back to slavery. No slavery and chattel ownership of black folk, no reason to secede. And no existence of the South for that matter.

Waving your hands about how there is more sounds a lot like window dressing.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Helical no

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:frogsiren:

Sinking Ship posted:

i hope the government really cracks down on this new terrorist gang, recognizable by the confederate flags they fly

:frogsiren:

Confrontation With Black Partygoers Leads to Gang Charges for White Group

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/us/confederate-flag-supporters-georgia-indicted-clash-black-partygoers.html

Mr. Sinking Ship, you win a loving prize.

http://vp.nyt.com/video/2015/10/12/36004_1_douglasville_wg_360p.mp4

quote:

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. — In an unusual legal maneuver, the district attorney in this suburb of Atlanta said Monday that he had won indictments against 15 supporters of the Confederate battle flag, accusing them of violating the state’s anti-street-gang statute during a confrontation with black partygoers in July.

Prosecutors say that members of the group, which calls itself Respect the Flag, threatened a group of blacks attending an outdoor birthday party on July 25. A cellphone video of part of the episode shows several white men driving away from the party in a convoy of pickup trucks with the Confederate battle flag and other banners, including American flags, fluttering from the truck beds.

The partygoers contend that members of the flag group yelled racial slurs and displayed a crowbar, a knife and either a rifle or a shotgun, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights group in Montgomery, Ala., that is representing some of the accusers.

The Douglas County district attorney, Brian Fortner, a white Republican elected to the office in 2014, announced the indictments in a news conference Monday morning. Each of the 15 was indicted on one count of making terroristic threats and a second count of unlawfully participating in “criminal gang activity.”

Mr. Fortner, whose county has transformed from predominantly white to decidedly mixed over the past two decades, said that the Georgia statute upon which the second charge is based, the Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act, was “worded very broadly to deal with any type of activity that occurs with a group that’s organized that commits a crime.”

None of the accused had been arraigned as of Monday, and it was not clear if they had lawyers representing them. By Monday afternoon, none of them had applied for representation with the county public defenders’ office. But a member of the group told a local newspaper that the black partygoers started the confrontation.

Several criminal lawyers and legal scholars said Monday that they could not recall other instances in which a state anti-gang statute had been used to prosecute a Confederate heritage group in the Deep South. The first version of Georgia’s anti-gang law was passed in 1992 at the behest of Atlanta’s police chief at the time, Eldrin Bell.

The state’s General Assembly, in the law’s statement of intent, noted that citizens retained their rights to freedom of expression and association. But it also declared that Georgia was in a “state of crisis which has been caused by violent criminal street gangs whose members threaten, terrorize and commit a multitude of crimes against the peaceful citizens of their neighborhoods.”

Pickup trucks flying Confederate-themed flags have become a regular sight in many parts of the South since June, when a white gunman, apparently influenced by racist doctrine, massacred nine black worshipers at a Charleston, S.C., church. A subsequent effort by some elected officials in the region to remove Confederate symbols from public spaces has provoked a strong negative reaction from some white Southerners, who argue that the symbols are a part of their history and heritage.

The indictments were handed up Friday by a grand jury in Douglas County, a fast-growing county a few miles west of Atlanta that is about 52 percent white and 44 percent black. Suburban sprawl and the steady migration of blacks out of the city’s core have caused striking social and demographic change here: In 1990, blacks made up only about 8 percent of the population, according to census figures.

The anti-gang law defines a “criminal street gang” as “any organization, association or group of three or more persons associated in fact, whether formal or informal,” that engages in or conspires to commit a defined set of serious criminal acts. The law gives prosecutors numerous ways to define the existence of a gang, including sharing signs, symbols, tattoos, graffiti or “common activities.”

Critics challenged the law on First Amendment grounds, but it was upheld by the Georgia Supreme Court in 2009. Ronald L. Carlson, a law professor at the University of Georgia, said that Georgia’s law was generally “in line” with other state anti-gang statutes around the country.

But Mr. Carlson also said that he expected lawyers for the defendants to file pretrial motions to dismiss the counts and argue that the identification of their clients as gang members was a stretch.

LeeAnne Lynch, a public defender in DeKalb County, Ga., who was among the lawyers who unsuccessfully challenged the law’s constitutionality, said Monday that she continued to believe that the law was overly broad. She said small groups of people could be defined as a gang just because they were “wearing certain types of clothes or have a group motto that they share.”

Ms. Lynch said that the law had been used to prosecute members of rap groups who have some affiliation with criminal gangs, but are not gang members themselves. Prosecutors, she said, often use the statute to “load up” charges on defendants to pressure them to agree to a plea deal.

Morris Dees, the founder of the Southern Poverty Law Center and its chief trial lawyer, could not recall seeing an anti-gang statute used against this kind of group in the past. But he said it was “a very good use” of the statute. “I don’t know why it hasn’t been used before,” he said.

Mr. Fortner said that some of the men involved in the episode had been arrested, and others would be arrested soon. In a July 27 article in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a member of the group who was named in the indictments, Levi Bush, said that the partygoers yelled at some members of his group as they drove by. Partygoers then threw rocks at his truck, he said.

Mr. Bush, in a brief phone interview on Monday, denied that he had broken the law. “I speak for me and everybody else — we are not guilty in these charges,” he said. He declined to elaborate.

Two members of the group, Joe Eric Hood and Thomas Summers, were each also indicted on an unrelated count of battery stemming from an episode at a gas station called the Corn Crib. Mr. Fortner said the accuser was white, but declined to comment further.

The party occurred on a Saturday at the home of Melissa Alford, 44. On Monday, Ms. Alford showed the side street where, she said, the trucks had pulled over and begun to harass her guests. She said she saw one of them with a rifle or shotgun, and heard one racial epithet used. She said that none of her guests threw rocks.

Ms. Alford said that she worked with at-risk youth as part of a nonprofit she founded. Some of them, she said, have been identified by the authorities as gang members. She said the men in the trucks deserved the same treatment.

“Just like the Crips,” she said, “if they’re out there doing some foolishness like this, they’re going to get charged.”

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 13, 2015

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

good

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

it amuses me that token strawman liberal gbs human being moridin920 is somehow also a proponent of the "STATES RITES!!!!11" school of thought on the civil war

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

"Well it wasn't about slavery because the North didn't fight the war expressly to end slavery you see."

i'm trying to come up with some mix of words or sounds i can add to that to make it sound more retarded than it already is and i'm honestly failing, like my best idea is to just add "states rights" or "don't tread on me" to that over and over again no wait I got it i figured it out

"Well it wasn't about slavery because the North didn't fight the war expressly to end slavery you see, and also, Aliens did 9/11."

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
lol ok the civil war was over slavery. ww2 was over jews. the iraqi war was about human rights violations. the vietnam war was about communism. we can do this all day but it still sounds like some poo poo a child would say and not a thing a person who understands the war would say.

if the argument was "the civil war was NOT about slavery" well that is also somewhat inaccurate but it had more to do with establishing federal authority and preserving the union. ww1 started because a dude got shot the war was not about the dude who got shot it was about a great and vast many things

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

wiffle ball bat posted:

lol ok the civil war was over slavery. ww2 was over jews. the iraqi war was about human rights violations. the vietnam war was about communism. we can do this all day but it still sounds like some poo poo a child would say and not a thing a person who understands the war would say.

if the argument was "the civil war was NOT about slavery" well that is also somewhat inaccurate but it had more to do with establishing federal authority and preserving the union. ww1 started because a dude got shot the war was not about the dude who got shot it was about a great and vast many things

"federal authority" related to................................... (hint: it involves black people)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm sorry when a group of people start a war while screaming about not wanting their slaves taken away maybe the war is about slavery?

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
like if you say the war was not about states rights you're uh not educated i guess it's kind of a stupid thing to say. it could've been any issue, but it was slavery and the leadup to the war involved a lot of major disagreements between northern and southern legislators on a lot of different issues.

it's just a glib way to put somebody in their place who isnt even here, a redneck with confederate flag on his pickup truck is way too busy getting wasted and chasing pussy to spend ten dollars to argue about the civil war on website. of what value is it to reduce a really complicated and bloody time period into a sarcastic sound bite that fits on an image macro is what im curious about

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

"the war was about a states rights to own slaves, not slavery

two completely and entirely unrelated things"
- an educated, cool dude

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

literally everything they themselves wrote about as the cause of their grievance with the country was slavery but maybe the war wasn't about slavery?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Seriously, though, if every person who ever played bullshit Devil's advocate about the cause of the Civil War were just quietly drowned in a bathtub, that would be good.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

NecroMonster posted:

i'm sorry when a group of people start a war while screaming about not wanting their slaves taken away maybe the war is about slavery?

if you wanted to explain it to a four year old yeah, that would be a good way to put it because their brains aren't developed enough to handle complex ideas and moral grey areas. that's how it was explained to me at the civil war museum when i was a wee toddler and i got a little minnie ball to take home and it got taken away from me at the airport.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

no actually that's exactly what happened sorry about your lovely brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Profondo Rosso posted:

"the war was about a states rights to own slaves, not slavery

two completely and entirely unrelated things"
- an educated, cool dude

im getting pretty freakin mad here because i didnt say they were unrelated your really burning my loving oysters here dude

• Locked thread